Awoo.

New Pokémon Snap

Sonictrainer

In today's first Pokémon PresentsNew Pokémon Snap was announced.

New Pokémon Snap is an all-new adventure inspired by the classic Nintendo 64 game! 

Grab your camera and get ready to photograph Pokémon while exploring beautiful islands on Nintendo Switch!

trailer.jpg

screenshot-4-thumb.jpg

Get ready for New Pokémon Snap, an all-new adventure for Nintendo Switch that’s inspired by the classic Nintendo 64 game Pokémon Snap.

In New Pokémon Snap, you’ll explore deserts, jungles, and more as you photograph fan-favorite Pokémon and discover never-before-seen Pokémon expressions and behaviors.

More images in Spoiler Tag

Spoiler

screenshot-1.jpg

screenshot-2.jpg

screenshot-3.jpg

I never understood the appeal of Snap or why people wanted a sequel so badly, but hey go here or is and looking as unappealing as ever to me personally. No doubt that is going to make a lot of people very happy though.

I’m very much looking forward to it. I just hope this isn’t a full priced switch title. I love snap, but if this is just more of the same with a few extra bells and whistles, I’d probably only settle with 30 or maybe 40 bucks for It. 

2 hours ago, Blue Blood said:

*Blue Blood had posted a video from ProsafiaGaming originally*

I never understood the appeal of Snap or why people wanted a sequel so badly, but hey go here or is and looking as unappealing as ever to me personally. No doubt that is going to make a lot of people very happy though.

Of course. Of course ProsafiaGaming has already leeched a trailer for his channel.
Sorry for the OT, but i've arrived to a point where i can't stand anymore this guy's behavior.

More IT, super happy about this, the trailer showcases so many new 'mons to photograph, and with online functionality plus the sharing of the photos, the possibilities are a lot. Can't wait to see more.

14 minutes ago, Teoskaven said:

Of course. Of course ProsafiaGaming has already leeched a trailer for his channel.
Sorry for the OT, but i've arrived to a point where i can't stand anymore this guy's behavior.

More IT, super happy about this, the trailer showcases so many new 'mons to photograph, and with online functionality plus the sharing of the photos, the possibilities are a lot. Can't wait to see more.

What's your beef with that channel? It was simply the only place to have uploaded the trailer at the time of posting. The OP in this thread had made zero effort to provide any information.

Considering this is a new Pokémon game, one that's following Nintendo's trend of putting "New" in the title no less, I can't wait to see what the catch is. Is this going to be the Pokémon Snap sequel that everyone's been asking for, or is it going to come with a bunch of asinine design choices that kill the experience for a more of people? I can see there being a limited number of courses, forced gyro controls etc etc... Something that makes the game unfavourable. I'm just that cynical when it comes to Pokémon now.

4 minutes ago, Blue Blood said:

What's your beef with that channel? It was simply the only place to have uploaded the trailer at the time of posting. The OP in this thread had made zero effort to provide any information.

Not really blaming you, i get what you wanted to do.
PSG is notorious for trying to catch as many views as possible by posting recent released gaming videos as soon as he can, wich has lead multiple times of him doing so before the actual release dates of most of said games, and thanks to the magical algorhythm of Youtube plus the sharing functions, even people with channel blockers extentions find one of his spoiling videos somewhere on the internet.
And now here he is fresh in getting a trailer that came out minutes beforehand with 0 input of fair use into it, just slapped there for quick views, not even an opinion in the description or anything. This is the kind of guy that gives companies excuse for abusing the copyright system on Youtube.
I know that in the past he has been harassed for this, and that in itself is not the right way to contrast him (big statement, i know), but i wish there was a way to resolve this.

• Thumbs Up 2

14 minutes ago, Teoskaven said:

Not really blaming you, i get what you wanted to do.
PSG is notorious for trying to catch as many views as possible by posting recent released gaming videos as soon as he can, wich has lead multiple times of him doing so before the actual release dates of most of said games, and thanks to the magical algorhythm of Youtube plus the sharing functions, even people with channel blockers extentions find one of his spoiling videos somewhere on the internet.
And now here he is fresh in getting a trailer that came out minutes beforehand with 0 input of fair use into it, just slapped there for quick views, not even an opinion in the description or anything. This is the kind of guy that gives companies excuse for abusing the copyright system on Youtube.
I know that in the past he has been harassed for this, and that in itself is not the right way to contrast him (big statement, i know), but i wish there was a way to resolve this.

Good to know. I'd rather not give such a channel views, so I've gone and changed it for an IGN upload, seeing as the official Pokémon channel hasn't uploaded the individual trailer yet.

• Thumbs Up 2
  • Nice Smile 1

Growing up with Gen 1 for me was a mix of Pokemon Red, the cartoon, Pokemon Stadium, and Pokemon Snap. I also was a big fan of kids nature shows and documentaries, which is probably why I gravitated toward the nature photographer premise of Snap. I loved being able to traverse the tracks over and over to discover new ways to encounter the Pokemon - discovering how to make some Pokemon evolve, awakening the legendary birds in their eggs, finding how to make other Pokemon appear by taking certain pictures at specific moments, getting Pokemon to behave in certain ways either by leading them with apples or using the Pokeflute - there were so many different experiences crammed into that game. As much fun as I had battling with Pokemon in Red or Stadium, as a kid the Pokemon themselves were so cool that I just wanted to hang out with them. The Pokemon anime was a great example with that - getting to see Ash and the others interacting with their Pokemon and seeing their personality shine through. In Pokemon Snap, I got to experience that for myself, being the one in their environment and witnessing their idiosyncrasies. This trailer looks like a wonderful update on the visual front and I'm excited to play it! When it comes to Pokemon Snap, all I can really ask for is more. More tracks, more species, more items, etc. I've been waiting years for this announcement though so right now I'm still just super excited for the new game.

• Nice Smile 1

The original Pokemon Snap was the first game I ever had for the nintendo 64. Heck, it was the game my parents gifted me the game alongside said Nintendo 64.

So needless to say, I'm definitely checking this out when it arrives.

I am in awww. Probably my most wanted game sequel ever. At least ones that never got one.

I loved the original because it was like an interactive theme park ride. Like mentioned already unlocking all the secrets and different actions was great. Such a unique experience imo. I spent hours upon hours redoing shots just for fun.

This looks beautiful. More Pokemon, locations and no doubt features. It’s cute, colorful and exactly how I imagined a sequel. I hope it’s not too much longer. I would buy this today.

There should be other games in this style like Jurassic Park/World.

Bit disappointed Todd isn't back. It'd be nice if he's referenced somewhere in the game at least, heck have him grade your pictures like Oak did in the original.

A man can dream...

• Thumbs Up 1

10 hours ago, mayday2592 said:

Is there more to this than  just taking pictures? If not, it's a pass from me.

It's a sequel to a game about taking pictures and doing things that allow you to take better pictures.

You should "not" expect more from the premise.

There shouldn't be any more really, the charm dies that way.

As someone who hasn't even played the original personally, I find that "just taking pictures" is a real gross fucking oversimplification of the game's mechanics.

Even on the absolute most basic level you still have to account for angle and distance - for the best possible score, you need a Pokemon completely in frame, preferably as close as they can without being cut off at the sides, and they need to be facing you. Sometimes you can get that with careful zooming and patience, but many different species and even individual Pokemon behave differently and require your intervention to set them up right. Notice how there's a lot of shots with Pokemon eating apples? Yeah, you can throw those, and although they can make good shots on their own they're best used to breadcrumb certain Pokes over to certain spots for special pictures. One of the highlights of the first track in the N64 game is that you can lure a Pikachu over to a surfboard on the beach and cause them to pose on it.

Personally I just wanna know if there's any more toys to play with. I'll be perfectly content if it's just a retread of the original with more Pokemon and gyro controls tbh, but I feel like they've got a good opportunity to go nuts with this one.

I am so happy this looks like the original. Over the years, any time there was some sort of gimmick, people kept screaming about how amazing they would be for Snap. Like the Gamepad as a camera, but that always felt like a focus on a dumb gimmick instead of the arcade "puzzle"-esque gameplay of the original. Or wanting to be an open-world game where you simply take pictures of Pokémon like PS3's Afrika, so I've been reluctant about the thought of a sequel.

I do hope they evolve it with new items and ways to interact with the Pokémon. But generally speaking, I want what I got on the N64.

Bad name, though.

On 6/17/2020 at 8:38 PM, mayday2592 said:

Is there more to this than  just taking pictures? If not, it's a pass from me.

It kind of plays like a slow-paced, puzzley on-rails shooter in a way.  While you can just go through the levels taking photos and nothing else, you actually have to interact with the world (namely through throwing fruit, bombs that knock/stun Pokémon, and a flute that could trigger certain behaviours when used at the right moment) and lure Pokémon around to do stuff to unlock alternate routes and secret scenes/behaviours to get all the best photos, and in the original you could only progress through the game by doing so (for example, triggering an Electrode to explode was required to break down a wall to discover the next stage about halfway through the game).

Unless they're resting on their laurels, I imagine a sequel will push this sort of thing even further.

Beyond that though, it is a product that just gives them more scope to flesh out a more believable version of the wildlife side of the Pokémon world in a way that the main games just don't have the budget for outside of specific controlled scenarios like when you make camp and play with your Pokémon.  While you start to learn the theme park ride aspects of it after a few playthroughs, that initial playthrough has a lot of value in just treating you to some enjoyable animation.

And I say all of this as someone who lost interest in the franchise a long time ago lol.  But Snap always remained a good time.

• Thumbs Up 2

Ah that description makes it sound more interesting. Depending on how it's received by fans, I might give it a go.

• 6 months later...

New Release Date & Trailer!

Are you ready for your close-up, Trainers? 

Your journey through the photogenic Lental region begins on Friday, April 30! 

Can’t wait? Preorders begin today!

explore-art.png

Welcome to the Lental Region, whose islands hold everything from dense jungles to vast deserts.

Throughout this archipelago, you’ll photograph untouched nature and plenty of wild Pokémon that thrive in Lental’s natural expanses.

investigate-art.png

Pokémon and vegetation in Lental have sometimes been seen to glow. This is known as the Illumina phenomenon, which is unique to the Lental region in New Pokémon Snap.

At the request of Lental’s own Professor Mirror, you’ll venture from island to island on an ecological survey, floating safely along in your trusty pod, the NEO-ONE, as you photograph Lental Pokémon and their habitats to uncover the truth behind the Illumina phenomenon.

photodex-art.png

Professor Mirror will evaluate your photos. Your scores will be based on your subjects’ poses, how large they appear, how directly they’re facing you, and their placement within the frame.

As you take photos and keep researching, you may get to see Pokémon look and behave in different ways than before.

Take lots of photos, get them evaluated, and keep the best shots to build your own Photodex in New Pokémon Snap!

ErsgXBTWMAIxYgn?format=jpg&name=medium

There’s a lot to learn about the Lental region, but you’ll have help! Meet Rita, Professor Mirror’s research assistant. She’s eager to teach you about the islands of Lental and the professor’s ecological survey.

Bigger Picture Gallery (will Spoiler Tag if too big)

Ersen0zXMAAoSAR?format=png&name=large

ErsfNwRXMAIcFnl?format=jpg&name=medium

photodex-01-l.jpgphotodex-02-l.jpg

• Thumbs Up 2

£49.99? Whoa. That's an ask. For whatever reason I can't think of I thought this would be a budget title. Silly me, this is Pokemon (and Nintendo). 

At least there are decidedly more Pokemon to snap this time round, 200 wasn't it? That's 4x more than the original game... even if it is 4x less than the overall Pokemon actually available as of todays roster.

Still, I wouldn't want to snap 800+ anyway. You got Pokemon Go for that (eventually). But yeah, casually excited for this one having enjoyed the N64 game.

• The title was changed to New Pokémon Snap