Awoo.

TRANSFORMERS!

Tiller

Since I'm most likely gonna be one of the only people here who's seen The Last Knight, I figured that I'd give some of my thoughts about the movie. If you don't want any spoilers, then I'll just say that this movie was a complete mess to me. Otherwise, here's a few spoiler-filled notes:

Spoiler

- I should probably explain the plot first: Basically, the ancient "wizard" Merlin was given a Cybertronian staff long ago, uniting the Knights of the Round Table and the Knights of Cybertron. Turns out that staff has the power to transfer energy between Cybertron and Earth (AKA... *sigh* Unicron. Yup.) leaving one planet completely drained. Quintessa plans to use the staff to restore Cybertron at the cost of Earth/Unicron's demise, while the heroes (eventually) try to stop her by getting the staff first.

- Practically every Autobot had nothing to do throughout the movie, aside from standing around and 'quipping'. The only one who really did anything here was, of course, Bumblebee, but even then he didn't do much.

- Optimus' evil phase (in which Quintessa even calls him "Nemesis Prime") lasted roughly 5 minutes before Bumblebee reverts Prime with the power of his real voice (not his voice from the end of the first film, though). Couple that with the fact that Optimus spends the vast majority of the film locked up until the end, and the whole "Nemesis Prime" plot point just feels wasted. (Also, any scenes from the trailers that show Prime fighting anyone other than Bumblebee with purple optics... he doesn't have them.)

- As for the Decepticons, they're once again just fodder for the Autobots to kill. Megatron and Barricade are the only ones that survive the whole film, while the others last maybe 20 minutes. Something that was really jarring was when the new Decepticons were recruited/released, since the film gives them all an almost "Suicide Squad"-like introduction.

- At least the Dinobots are around for longer than AoE, right? WRONG! It's only Grimlock and Slug (the Triceratops) that appear, along with these baby Dinobots for some reason. However, once the heroes leave the junkyard, the Dinobots just... disappear. They get about 10 minutes on-screen before disappearing, never to be seen or heard from again.

- So, the humans. Cade, despite getting this weird Cybertronian talisman fused onto him, doesn't really seem to contribute much. Like, he saves Optimus from getting killed once, and... I think that's it. The British woman (I've already forgotten her name) is only around because she is the last remaining descendant of Merlin (AKA the *sigh* Witwiccans... which, I guess, means Sam is probably dead by now?) and is the only human capable of using the staff. Anthony Hopkins is there to be the exposition man (and possibly provide some kind of tease to Bumblebee's supposed prequel film?) but not much else. Izabella is basically useless for the majority of the film. Her one trait is that she fixes things, and that's it. Then there's Lennox, who's kind of interesting in this one since he works for the TRF, hunting down all remaining Transformers, which he's clearly reluctant to do when it comes to fighting the Autobots. Finally, Simmons is in this film... all he does is tell Hopkins about Unicron, but he's there, I guess.

- Finally, the film ends exactly like every other film so far: Bad guys are defeated (sort of; Megatron just gets blasted away, and Quintessa seems to teleport), heroes have a quick reunion, and Optimus gives yet another monologue... and then, during the credits, we see someone being told by a woman (Quintessa, in a human disguise) how to kill Unicron. Yep, it ends on a fucking SEQUEL HOOK!!

Until I hear a complete confirmation that Micheal Bay is actually done with this series, and a brand new (and good) director is brought on to the next film... I'm not going anywhere near these films again. (Well, maybe the first one occasionally, but that's it.)

On ‎6‎/‎22‎/‎2017 at 5:44 PM, Captain Metallix said:

Since I'm most likely gonna be one of the only people here who's seen The Last Knight, I figured that I'd give some of my thoughts about the movie. If you don't want any spoilers, then I'll just say that this movie was a complete mess to me. Otherwise, here's a few spoiler-filled notes:

Reveal hidden contents

- I should probably explain the plot first: Basically, the ancient "wizard" Merlin was given a Cybertronian staff long ago, uniting the Knights of the Round Table and the Knights of Cybertron. Turns out that staff has the power to transfer energy between Cybertron and Earth (AKA... *sigh* Unicron. Yup.) leaving one planet completely drained. Quintessa plans to use the staff to restore Cybertron at the cost of Earth/Unicron's demise, while the heroes (eventually) try to stop her by getting the staff first.

- Practically every Autobot had nothing to do throughout the movie, aside from standing around and 'quipping'. The only one who really did anything here was, of course, Bumblebee, but even then he didn't do much.

- Optimus' evil phase (in which Quintessa even calls him "Nemesis Prime") lasted roughly 5 minutes before Bumblebee reverts Prime with the power of his real voice (not his voice from the end of the first film, though). Couple that with the fact that Optimus spends the vast majority of the film locked up until the end, and the whole "Nemesis Prime" plot point just feels wasted. (Also, any scenes from the trailers that show Prime fighting anyone other than Bumblebee with purple optics... he doesn't have them.)

- As for the Decepticons, they're once again just fodder for the Autobots to kill. Megatron and Barricade are the only ones that survive the whole film, while the others last maybe 20 minutes. Something that was really jarring was when the new Decepticons were recruited/released, since the film gives them all an almost "Suicide Squad"-like introduction.

- At least the Dinobots are around for longer than AoE, right? WRONG! It's only Grimlock and Slug (the Triceratops) that appear, along with these baby Dinobots for some reason. However, once the heroes leave the junkyard, the Dinobots just... disappear. They get about 10 minutes on-screen before disappearing, never to be seen or heard from again.

- So, the humans. Cade, despite getting this weird Cybertronian talisman fused onto him, doesn't really seem to contribute much. Like, he saves Optimus from getting killed once, and... I think that's it. The British woman (I've already forgotten her name) is only around because she is the last remaining descendant of Merlin (AKA the *sigh* Witwiccans... which, I guess, means Sam is probably dead by now?) and is the only human capable of using the staff. Anthony Hopkins is there to be the exposition man (and possibly provide some kind of tease to Bumblebee's supposed prequel film?) but not much else. Izabella is basically useless for the majority of the film. Her one trait is that she fixes things, and that's it. Then there's Lennox, who's kind of interesting in this one since he works for the TRF, hunting down all remaining Transformers, which he's clearly reluctant to do when it comes to fighting the Autobots. Finally, Simmons is in this film... all he does is tell Hopkins about Unicron, but he's there, I guess.

- Finally, the film ends exactly like every other film so far: Bad guys are defeated (sort of; Megatron just gets blasted away, and Quintessa seems to teleport), heroes have a quick reunion, and Optimus gives yet another monologue... and then, during the credits, we see someone being told by a woman (Quintessa, in a human disguise) how to kill Unicron. Yep, it ends on a fucking SEQUEL HOOK!!

Until I hear a complete confirmation that Micheal Bay is actually done with this series, and a brand new (and good) director is brought on to the next film... I'm not going anywhere near these films again. (Well, maybe the first one occasionally, but that's it.)

I saw the movie and frankly I was disappointed with it. *sigh* At least he managed to exceed some of my lowest expectations. I think Peter Cullen might be regretting his decision to ask Michael Bay to stay on for the fifth film, considering it seemed Bay did everything in his power to make Optimus come off as a villain in advertisements. A fact that disturbed many children and is most likely one of the contributors to as why the film is doing so poorly.

In fact filming for the Bumblebee movie got pushed back from mid-July to mid-August. Something tells me that Hasbro is probably noticing the poor sales as well. I wouldn't be surprised if Hasbro decides they need a movie reboot and start looking for another company.

• Thumbs Up 1

I don't understand how one could fuck up a film involving giant robots, wizards, time travel, robot dinosaurs, WW2 and brainwashing aliens. This should be the holy grail of stupid action flicks. Full of fun, excitement, a few laughs and touching moment or moral and lots of badassery.

Then again this is Michael Bay... the man would rather have another overdone explosion shot then actually think for a few moments about character placement.

3 hours ago, Mightyray said:

I don't understand how one could fuck up a film involving giant robots, wizards, time travel, robot dinosaurs, WW2 and brainwashing aliens. This should be the holy grail of stupid action flicks. Full of fun, excitement, a few laughs and touching moment or moral and lots of badassery.

Then again this is Michael Bay... the man would rather have another overdone explosion shot then actually think for a few moments about character placement.

Actually there wasn't even that much explosions either. I think most of the budget got blown on all those Cybertron shots. He just had to be obsessed with the idea of a giant planet destroying the Earth just so he can break the computers again.

He actually admitted that's his goal with each film. Basically to break the computers so it'll encourage IMAX to constantly make them stronger. That's okay I guess but he really shouldn't sacrifice quality just to make a few computers crash.

• Thumbs Up 1

9 hours ago, sonicgirl313 said:

Actually there wasn't even that much explosions either. I think most of the budget got blown on all those Cybertron shots. He just had to be obsessed with the idea of a giant planet destroying the Earth just so he can break the computers again.

He actually admitted that's his goal with each film. Basically to break the computers so it'll encourage IMAX to constantly make them stronger. That's okay I guess but he really shouldn't sacrifice quality just to make a few computers crash.

What.

I think my brain broke reading that.

I can't believe he'd do that. Just... god damn it, focus on making a god damn entertaining film and stop breaking the SFX departments shit Michael Bay!

• 2 weeks later...

Big news everyone. So it turns out the rumors of the Bumblebee movie filming being pushed back to mid-August was false. The movie has started filming right on schedule revealed by actress Hailee Steinfeld who will be playing a tomboy mechanic. The film is a prequel set in the 80's and will delve in Bumblebee's history before Sam. This will be the first film without Michael Bay. Instead the director will Travis Knight, the director of "Kubo and the Two Strings." So for those that didn't like Bay's take, this film may interest you.

The film is reported to have a smaller budget this time around, so that means there won't be that many Autobots and no IMAX computer breaking scenes that cost millions of dollars. The film is set it release in June 2018. Just like for "The Last Knight" I will be reporting the film's movie progress and news that come up over the course of the year.

19832862_1251791241610935_359371809_n.png

• Thumbs Up 2

• 2 months later...

Sorry about the lack of news posts, but news has been very slow concerning the Bumblebee Movie which has been pushed back to a December 2018 release now. Just some minor news has come out like John Cena being casted for an unknown role, Bumblebee being confirmed as the only Autobot to be featured in the film, the story being set around how Bumblebee goes from the battle-hardened warrior alluded to in "The Last Knight" to the mischievous and fun loving youth he is none as now. There's also a bit of controversy where the film crew painted over a important mural in Vallejo.

But other than that, nothing. It's kind of weird, with Michael Bay he was practically excited to show off what the movie had in store. (Even if it did come off as mediocre.) But with Travis Knight at the helm, things have been more quiet. All we ever hear from is the producer Di Bonaventura; aka the guy who promised a million things that never ended up happening in "The Last Knight", wanted the Transformers to be mute despite Hasbro constantly saying no, and hates Peter Cullen simply for being the original Optimus.

Hard to say how the film will be like considering how messy filming is going... maybe Michael Bay wasn't the problem after all.

11 minutes ago, sonicgirl313 said:

Hard to say how the film will be like considering how messy filming is going... maybe Michael Bay wasn't the problem after all.

I beg to differ. Bay's directing still plays a part in why these films are as bad as they are. He's not the only one responsible for this, of course, but he is one of the factors.

As for the lack of updates on the spin-off... well frankly, I wouldn't be surprised if they're just staying quiet because of how bad The Last Knight turned out. It's currently both the lowest-rated AND lowest-grossing film yet, so I could imagine them deciding to hold off on trying to hype up the next film (prequel or not).

Just now, Captain Metallix said:

I beg to differ. Bay's directing still plays a part in why these films are as bad as they are. He's not the only one responsible for this, of course, but he is one of the factors.

As for the lack of updates on the spin-off... well frankly, I wouldn't be surprised if they're just staying quiet because of how bad The Last Knight turned out. It's currently both the lowest-rated AND lowest-grossing film yet, so I could imagine them deciding to hold off on trying to hype up the next film (prequel or not).

Oh don't get me wrong, I acknowledge that he has had his share of problems such as putting to much emphasis on the soldiers. It's okay to feature them, but he has them take away too much focus from the Autobots. It's why I think he would have been better suited for a GI Joe film. What I meant is, I don't think he was completely at fault for the films like how many people believe.

As for the hype, I don't know. They proudly announced they would be moving forward with the cinematic universe despite TLK being one of the lower performing TF films. I don't know, I just know that some people, even JJ Abrams felt like only Bay could do the TF films because they said, he was the only one that could really make them work. I know there's TLK, but that film seemed off, even for a Bay TF film. He was trying to make a film he wanted as his "grand finale" while at the same time pushing it forward as the beginning point for the cinemactic universe just like Paramount and Hasbro wanted him too.

But Michael Bay is producing the Bumblebee film...?

Either way, even though the Bay films are a guilty pleasure of me (especially The Last Knight gbfhddddddgbgjd dragonstorm ♥) I'd blame the writers and producers more than Bay himself for what happened with the Bayverse. The films I felt always had that directing touch of his that his other films have, but the story and writing stuff I feel Bay had no real control there.

Fuck Goldsman.

1 hour ago, Hard-Boiled Wisp said:

But Michael Bay is producing the Bumblebee film...?

Either way, even though the Bay films are a guilty pleasure of me (especially The Last Knight gbfhddddddgbgjd dragonstorm ♥) I'd blame the writers and producers more than Bay himself for what happened with the Bayverse. The films I felt always had that directing touch of his that his other films have, but the story and writing stuff I feel Bay had no real control there.

Fuck Goldsman.

He is a producer, but not the head producer I guess. I think he's been made more of an executive producer. Someone they just check in with to make sure a scene looks alright, things like that. The main producer for all the films actually has always been Di Bonaventura.

EP's are more of a honourary thing anyways,

Also we're getting G1 style Dinobot toys in the next toy wave that are also a combiner! oh and Rodimus Prime that comes with the Hot Rod form too

• 8 months later...

godot-damage.gif

Well holy heck! Gen 1 and colored Starscream!? This move doesn't look like it all be blazes and glory, and it looks pretty neat.

You know, if Micheal Bay really has burned his bridges and the makers of this movie succeed like this trailer suggests they might, I think the Transformers license might be put to some better use in the coming years if this movie is any indication.

For cripes sake, I'm interested in a prequel. That doesn't come easily.

• Nice Smile 1
  • Fist Bump 1

It's Bumblebee! And he looks like Bumblebee

And Starscream isn't made out of triangles and knives

• Thumbs Up 1

...Something's wrong here. No in-your-face explosions? An adorable little Bumblebee? Starscream actually looks like Starscream?!

I... I think I'm legitimately interested in seeing a Transformers movie. Whether they manage to keep me interested remains to be seen, but... damn.

• Thumbs Up 1

Wow. Okay.

This has my attention.

The CG looks pretty fake at times, sure but this is really inspiring confidence for me after a being a Bayformers fan who got his hopes crushed by the Last Knight. I knew the director of Kubo anf the Two Strings could give us something good!

I really get Iron Giant like vibes, which is definitely not a bad thing, here. This looks much more character driven than before. I also like the callbacks to not only G1 but even the first movie. I hope this has more consistency with the first movie if this was the case.

I. Can't. Wait.

• Thumbs Up 1

• 3 months later...

Sorry for double posting buuuuuut

This movie, man. This damn movie.

I've already been sold on the teaser, with the heart, charm and character.

And now you throw in the actual war on Cybertron, and G1 Designs into this?!

I swear, I'm gonna see this movie twice. No, three times, simply so I can let Paramount know I want MORE movies like this. This is exactly what I wanted.