Awoo.

Crash Bandicoot 4: It's About Time (PS4 / Xbox One)

Jango

12 years... It's about time for a NEW Crash Bandicoot game!

- New power masks; 

- Time and dimension travel;

- New designs;

- New developer: Toys for Bob (Spyro Trilogy) takes the lead this time, there's a chance that Beenox and Vicarious Visions could be helping somehow;

- PS4 and Xbox One (so far);

- Release date: October 2, 2020

• Thumbs Up 3

It's surprising how obvious they were this time around. Like, the fuzzy dice and the dragon egg was still fairly good secrets, but they literally just spelled it out with "oh yeah, this is a new Crash game" by the Favourite Bandicoot bit, the crate box design, and the mask itself.

It looks like it's gonna be taking the time travel aspect of Warped as inspiration - I hope it means we'll get many more locales.

Hype me says SSD in level time travel. Rational me says this'll be on current & nextgen systems so don't expect that.

Hmm, given this showing up today, and the presence of differing mask(s), so far things seem to be lining up with this 4chan leak that was shared with us on the main Discord channel yesterday:

Spoiler

Eawv2u7XgAEsTdG.jpg:large

• Thumbs Up 1

Apparently, the announcement might happen on monday:

I really liked this mask design! The broken glass effect and the hourglass earings hints towards some kind of time power. I imagine this masks will be found in the levels, pretty much like Aku-Aku, but instead of simply giving Crash an extra hit, they will give him the ability to control time, maybe revert it like Prince of Persia, or even slow down everything around. Sound cliché, but cool. With a nice aesthetic, it could actually look VERY nice and fun to use.

If this mask actually gives Crash the power to revert time, it will come in hand when we miss those easy jumps because of the round hitbox Vicarious Visions decided to go with 🤣 That is, if it's them who's developing the game.

Caddicarus is one of the YouTubers who received the mysterious package:

• Thumbs Up 5

Anyone wanna guess the name of game? Some pun with the letter "N" or the word Time... A Crash N' Time? 

It's finally happening! The first brand new Crash Bandicoot game in twelve years! My hopes are pretty high for this one, and I really do hope they incorporate elements from throughout the series and polish them up to make this a great entry that encapsulates everything that people love about the franchise. I hope we see Nina and Crunch appear in someway, but I really can't wait to see what these new masks do and who they are in the story. I'm just hoping it isn't just a carbon copy of Crash Warped but more mediocre like Wrath of Cortex was. Don't get me wrong, I actually enjoy Wrath of Cortex in some instances, like I do pretty much every Crash game, but I'd rather them do more with it than play it too safe. 

I'm also excited to see the consoles it comes to. Will it be a purely next generation game, or will it be cross-gen? I'll probably end up getting it for PS5 regardless, but very exciting to see. 

Am I the only one who finds it interesting that Crash seems to be one of Activision's "yearly" franchises now? Bar a short break in 2018 where Reignited released, we've had...

N. Sane Trilogy: 2017

CTR: Nitro-Fuelled: 2019

New Crash Game: Likely - 2020

• Thumbs Up 1

8 minutes ago, Ryannumber1gamer said:

Am I the only one who finds it interesting that Crash seems to be one of Activision's "yearly" franchises now? Bar a short break in 2018 where Reignited released, we've had...

I think it's because Skylanders is officially dead, at least for the time being, and Activision aims to have a kid friendly game out per year. Crash Bandicoot is also a versatile character and PlayStation often helps Activision promote him, so they get a lot of attention when they have Crash games releasing because of the support Sony shows for the franchise. I think for the time being, it'll be about one-two Crash games back to back followed by one Spyro game and then one-two more Crash games. I think next game will be another spin-off, and I really would not be surprised to see a party game inspired by Crash Bash be the next game after the next Spyro game. 

20 minutes ago, Ryannumber1gamer said:

I think it's less Crash being yearly and more them cycling between the franchises, Crash a year, Spyro the next one, then a Kart racer/spin off the following year, then the cycle repeats. It's probably  why CTR wasn't given to Vicarious Vision, but to Beenox instead, so VV can be the ''main game'' team while Beenox is the ''spin off'' team.

Wouldn't surprise me if in two years we see Beenox with either say a Crash Bash remake, a new kart racer or just a flat out crossover spin off between the two franchises.

• Thumbs Up 3

On 06/19/20 at 9:29 AM, Jango said:

Anyone wanna guess the name of game? Some pun with the letter "N" or the word Time... A Crash N' Time? 

It'll def be pun based, but A Crash in time is unlikely since, anyting time related may just be related to this one mask and that name is way too close  to another furry mascot's subtitle for their game.

This probably isn't the place to put this, but whatever. It's neat and it's Crash related so

36 minutes ago, Tornado said:

This probably isn't the place to put this, but whatever. It's neat and it's Crash related so

It's interesting to me how many details is different. No Crunch, PS2 exclusive, no Elementals (just one main villainess), etc. I love seeing this beta stuff from both WoC and Twinsanity.

Although some of this stuff, I'm happy didn't make the final cut - namely that love interest, and Coco's random evil sister (I would've been happy to see some backstory on Coco, but having a random evil twin is kinda out there). 

It's also interesting how many of these ideas ended up repurposed into Twinsanity. You could argue that the evil sister/twin was the initial starting point for Evil Crash/Coco in Twinsanity, and of course - Cortex having a daughter (Or rather - niece, with Nina, even if Nina's purpose is completely different from Reo). 

Spoiler

Calling it Crash Bandicoot 4, and subtitling it "It's About Time" is fucking ballsy

• Thumbs Up 4
  • Chuckle 1

I’ll give Activision that, the name is clever. Still gonna wait and see on this game cause I don’t trust Activision like at all. Also wasn’t Wrath of Cortex 4?

6 minutes ago, KHCast said:
  Hide contents

I’ll give Activision that, the name is clever. Still gonna wait and see on this game cause I don’t trust Activision like at all. Also wasn’t Wrath of Cortex 4?

Well, considering that "Wrath of Cortex didn't do as well as we'd hoped", and how it's not exactly a crowd pleaser, it's kind of easy to see what they're doing here.

Especially if the rumors of this game being a reboot or soft-reboot are

Spoiler

as true as they're looking

to be.

Something interesting on that cover art...

Spoiler

There's four masks including the new Time Mask. Remind you guys of anything?

340?cb=20170115213030

1 minute ago, Ryannumber1gamer said:

Something interesting on that cover art...

Reveal hidden contents

There's four masks including the new Time Mask. Remind you guys of anything?

340?cb=20170115213030

Would be funny if this game turns out to be a re-imagining of Wrath of Cortex now wouldn't it?

1 minute ago, Nina Cortex Jovahexeon said:

Would be funny if this game turns out to be a re-imagining of Wrath of Cortex now wouldn't it?

You might not be far off - if you look closely, two of the masks look heavily inspired by WoC's masks - the top left has a rocky design, like the Earth elemental mask, the bottom left has a very much water-inspired design.

Toys For Bob weren’t in charge of the original remakes for Crash right? They did Spyro Reignited. So that’s interesting that’s who they’re going with

7 minutes ago, Nina Cortex Jovahexeon said:

I mean, I’d be OK with that ^^ Boss fights aside I actually really liked Wrath of Cortex ^^
There are multiple masks on the cover and the name fits the time travel gimmick ^^

5 minutes ago, Ryannumber1gamer said:

You might not be far off - if you look closely, two of the masks look heavily inspired by WoC's masks - the top left has a rocky design, like the Earth elemental mask, the bottom left has a very much water-inspired design.

And considering how the they likely wouldn't be getting back the iconic VAs that made the originals so memorable, with this new set, they'd have a fresh batch without having to live up to original 4.

6 minutes ago, KHCast said:

Hide contents

Toys 4 Bob weren’t in charge of the original remakes for Crash right? They did Spyro Reignited. So that’s interesting that’s who they’re going with

Well they did handle the Switch port of the N.Sane Trilogy. And Vicarious Visions is busy with the Tony Hawk Pro Skater remakes