Awoo.

Crash Bandicoot 4: It's About Time (PS4 / Xbox One)

Jango

6 minutes ago, Son-icka said:

Oh heck... I just noticed that there is a collection counter for freaking Wumpa fruit now! 😱

Yeah, and apparently gems are hidden in the levels too ala Twinsanity. 

9 minutes ago, Nina Cortex Jovahexeon said:

Yeah, and apparently gems are hidden in the levels too ala Twinsanity. 

And at least FIVE per level according to Crystal Fissure! O.o

He made a deeper analysis of the gameplay here, saying it's pretty different from the original trilogy, Crash has more air control but his slide doesn't carry much momentum anymore. It does looks pretty floaty honestly. This gameplay keeps me reminding a LOT of Rayman Origins. Floaty, but snap as heck. Also, a brazilian Youtuber who also got the demo confirmed that Crash's collision box isn't pill shapped anymore, meaning he doesn't slide on edges like in the NST.

I've noticed that there doesn't seem to a be a box counter anymore.

Perhaps all gems are now just hidden, while instead something might be tied to the amount of Wumpa fruit collected.

The box counter can be seen in some footages, others not. It's weird. Some footages have even different subtitles. I guess different builts were sent to different people? O.o

Caddicarus posted his impressions with the game on Twitter and he said that getting every crate does nothing yet, probably because it's still a demo. He also mentioned that getting every wumpa, which is even harder, also does nothing yet. It's probably gonna be this game's currency. 

IGN's preview confirmed that there's two modes in the game, a modern and retro mode. Modern is like Super Mario Odyssey and Sonic Forces where there isn't a life counter, and you can die as many times as you want in a level. Retro is what you expect - hardcore Classic Crash, life system and all.

This is a great feature, but I hope they don't decide to tie trophies or anything to playing through on Retro. I'd rather it just be a choice of how difficult you want the experience to be.

Hmmm, I wonder if modern or retro might be what also controls the presence of a box counter.

Perhaps on modern mode, the gems just need to be found instead of having to break all the crates and whatnot.

1 hour ago, Nina Cortex Jovahexeon said:

Hmmm, I wonder if modern or retro might be what also controls the presence of a box counter.

Perhaps on modern mode, the gems just need to be found instead of having to break all the crates and whatnot.

I'd imagine so, that's probably why they switched to a counter since collecting 100 wumpa wouldn't give you any lives.

Alternatively, they could keep the counter and just make it so that it doesn't reset upon hitting 100, but still rewarding a life for Retro, so who knows, really.

I wonder if the dynamic difficulty settings are back from the N.Sane trilogy. Ex. extra mask when you died several times, certain crates become checkpoints, and chase sequences bevone easier.

On 7/24/2020 at 3:26 PM, Ryannumber1gamer said:

IGN's preview confirmed that there's two modes in the game, a modern and retro mode. Modern is like Super Mario Odyssey and Sonic Forces where there isn't a life counter, and you can die as many times as you want in a level. Retro is what you expect - hardcore Classic Crash, life system and all.

This is a great feature, but I hope they don't decide to tie trophies or anything to playing through on Retro. I'd rather it just be a choice of how difficult you want the experience to be.

If they do tie trophies to anything of the sort, modern mode has a death count as oposed to a life count, so they will probs use that for trophy tallying

• 2 weeks later...

New trailer!

There's. So. Much. Stuff.

Oh damn, that N. Tropy evil smile, that's soooooo good! I'm so glad they're putting a lot of effort on the story. These cutscenes are gonna be fun to watch!

Also, does the game looks better graphically or is just me? Looks way more colorfull than before at least.

• Thumbs Up 6

Looks the business! The state of play video and trailer really impressed me. Just want to give this the hands on now. 

Great to finally see they confirmed there are extra playable characters (woo! Dingodile!). Also the animations and presentation of the story cutscenes look. Wonderful (no I still don’t like Coco’s redesign, but I I adore the new art style, so it all fits and is fine.)

The announced N-Verted mode thar Beenox is working on gave me real “Yooka-Laylee and the Impossible Lair” vibes, what with all those filters and such. But it looks like they are potentially taking that concept further in this game (also, really love the “paint the level” mode they showed off... sweet!)

I suspect some will say it’s a lazy way of retooling levels to extort the “multiple dimensions” trope for repeat plays. But I personally think it’s pretty neat way to add replay (I suspect this is what the 100+ levels alludes thing is about now as well).

Also excellent that they vocally reconfirmed no MTX In the video. So they obviously hear the audience by repeatedly saying this over different mediums. Can’t say I’m surprised that they want to distance Crash 4 from the notoriety that CTR: NF gained after Activision’s little post launch stunt. Thankfully this is now a non-applicable discussion that can be kicked outside of this thread. 

If you look closely at N. Sanity Beach segment, you can see Crunch's name in magnets on the refrigerator.

Also, on the surfboards, you can see one of Crash's logos from the COTT and I believe his arm tattoos from those games

• Thumbs Up 1

9 minutes ago, Son-icka said:

Can’t say I’m surprised that they want to distance Crash 4 from the notoriety that CTR: NF gained after Activision’s little post launch stunt. Thankfully this is now a non-applicable discussion that can be kicked outside of this thread. 

It’s Activision so imma wait before I go blindly trusting them and their subsidies. Cause these companies do not deserve my blind trust and automatic hype.  Though wouldn’t be surprised if they aren’t in at all, considering they have a shitty looking mobile game they announced that takes care of that. Still though, with all the stunts this industry pulls to undermine and contradict itself, I’m no longer in any position to just take what mouthpieces and hype trailers say at face value anymore cause even if it’s not MTX, there could be some monkeys paw alternative.

• Thumbs Up 1

21 minutes ago, KHCast said:

It’s Activision so imma wait before I go blindly trusting them and their subsidies. Cause these companies do not deserve my blind trust and automatic hype.  Though wouldn’t be surprised if they aren’t in at all, considering they have a shitty looking mobile game they announced that takes care of that. Still though, with all the stunts this industry pulls to undermine and contradict itself, I’m no longer in any position to just take what mouthpieces and hype trailers say at face value anymore cause even if it’s not MTX, there could be some monkeys paw alternative.

Well, fingers crossed then. To be clear, I’m not so much blindly trusting Toys 4 Bob (especially as Activision ultimately pull the strings). It just seems to me that T4B are going mightily out of their way to stress this particular piece of information over the last month, moreso than they need to be doing or than I have seen other companies do.

I mean... if this was the next Crash Team Racing then I would be much more suspicious. But this is a single player platformer we are talking about.

Except wait... isn’t there an alleged 4 player mode? So maybe their dodge is that MTX is exclusive to that part of the game? I dunno. When they announce it, we can let all hell break loose then 

But To he honest, I’m just fed up of the conversation in general as it haunts certain topics and drives them into the gutter (and quite understandably don’t get me wrong). But all the same.

If someone had told me 15 years ago I'd get to play as Dingodile in a main Crash platformer I would have laughed. This feels so surreal it might have just become a day 1 for me. And Tawna, Cortex and Tropy too? The short Cortex clip didn't look too promising compared to the simple but fun gameplay he had in Twinsanity, so I hope they manage with all these different styles.

• Thumbs Up 1

2 hours ago, LukA8 said:

If someone had told me 15 years ago I'd get to play as Dingodile in a main Crash platformer I would have laughed.

What's funny is that I just recently finished Luigi's Mansion 3 and wasn't expecting to have the similar mechanics in a Crash game.

What powers do you think the last Quantum Mask will have?

EDIT: A recap plus a few new images from the Playstation Blog and Flickr Album, showing a preview of the unlockable costumes for Crash & Coco

50196528161_406f5df5e3_h.jpg

As Toys for Bob broke down during State of Play, Crash and friends are bending their multiverse’s reality to pull out all the stops for Crash Bandicoot 4: It’s About Time, coming this fall to PlayStation 4 and PlayStation 4 Pro.

Here’s everything that was revealed today ahead of the game’s October 2 release date:

Dingodile is back… And he’s playable!

Imagine, if you will, a simple man – scratch that – half dingo, half crocodile, who decides to retire his old ways of singeing and exploding bandicoots for nefarious needs in favor of living out a lifelong dream:

Opening a diner.

But alas! Our poor Dingodile’s prized possession is destroyed before his very eyes, and our villain-turned short-order cook is sucked into another dimension!

Well, it’s about time for him to find out what went wrong. In addition to Neo Cortex, you’ll be able to play full levels and alternate timelines as Dingodile. While Cortex turns enemies into platforms and gelatinous blobs with his blaster, Dingodile takes a more… brute force approach. Having turned in his flamethrower for a vacuum gun, Dingodole can suck up TNT barrels and launch them with expert precision, blowing up anything that stands between him and his ticket home.

This is all in the name of retribution for his ill-fated diner, so help him out and he’ll happily shove right back off to his retirement.

Earnable Skins (er… furs?) to show off your achievements

During the original trilogy, Crash and Coco sometimes donned outfits to blend into their time period or environment. For example, if our marsupial had to race a bunch of rough biker folk, he would suit up in his most menacing leather jacket, as he may have stuck out like a sore, furry, orange thumb if he went in au natural (including his shorts and shoes, of course).

For It’s About Time, Toys for Bob have combined the fun cosmetic changes for Crash and Coco with the challenge of earning gems or completing specific tasks. Now, Crash and Coco have dozens upon dozens of costumes and wacky outfits to wear across any level, adding another level of zaniness to the N. Sane nature of Crash Bandicoot 4: It’s About Time.

Consider these marks of achievement within the game; whenever you earn a skin, it’s a sign of accomplishment for the skill it took to outfit Crash or Coco with it. And speaking of achievements…

N. Verted Mode

Completing Crash Bandicoot 4: It’s About Time – from collecting Time Crystals to Gems and more – is an achievement in of itself… But there is one ace in the hole that Toys for Bob, in collaboration with Beenox, has for truly testing out Bandicoots: N. Verted Mode!

N. Verted mode takes the concept of mirror mode and phase shifts it into another dimension. Perspective isn’t the only thing that changed; when playing in a dimension on N. Verted mode, that dimension may involve splattering paint to see your path forward, or keeping up with an old timey film reel that cranks up gameplay speed just as fast as it puts the picture on the screen.

Once you unlock this mode, all the game’s levels are repayable with this new art style, game feel, and challenges, allowing for the true completionists at heart to further challenge themselves for even more rewards, or for anyone who is curious about how their favorite levels get N. Verted.

Pre-orders live now – get Time Shattering Skins first on PlayStation

On top of digital customers getting the Totally Tubular Skins for Crash and Coco, which puts them in some radical 90s swag, PlayStation owners will also receive two more sets of skins for both Crash and Coco: Go way back in time with the Marsupus Erectus Skins or embrace your inner cyborg with the Serious Upgrade Skins. The aforementioned skins will be available after the completion of the second level of the game.

These time-shattering skins are arriving first on PlayStation, so prepare to cross over into this fashionable dimension early on this platform!

50196527891_69486cb1d7_w.jpg50196787307_08e2658174_w.jpg

50196527751_e012194f1e_w.jpg50196527681_78be237997_w.jpg

• Thumbs Up 2

The iteration of N. Verted Mode involving spinning colour into a blank white environment reminds me a lot of a background plot element of Sonic Generations - that all the levels started out as blank white spaces, and colour was restored to them by Sonic's speed.  It never made it to gameplay, but I wonder if it would be possible now.  (Whether it would be playable is a different matter.)

• Thumbs Up 1

^ i was gonna say earlier how this was what I was imagining Generations to do with its whole “lifeless white world” thing lol

• Thumbs Up 1

4 hours ago, FFWF said:

The iteration of N. Verted Mode involving spinning colour into a blank white environment reminds me a lot of a background plot element of Sonic Generations - that all the levels started out as blank white spaces, and colour was restored to them by Sonic's speed.  It never made it to gameplay, but I wonder if it would be possible now.  (Whether it would be playable is a different matter.)

Of course it made it ;D

Now and then Generations always found a way to disappoint. Still a good game.

11 hours ago, Sonictrainer said:

50196527891_69486cb1d7_w.jpg50196787307_08e2658174_w.jpg

50196527751_e012194f1e_w.jpg50196527681_78be237997_w.jpg

These are the timed exclusive skins? They look had. But nothing beats...

Mortal Wombat:

https://twitter.com/Canadianguyehh/status/1291484980191924225/photo/3

Seriously, these skins are pretty rad.

Toys for Bob: We made Dingodile and Cortex playable, what about you?

Sonic Team: YoU CaN PlAy As ClAsSiC SoNiC!1!

That's 3 things this game is doing better than Sonic Forces. 4 if you include the character outfits.

It really is amazing how pretty much every alternate costume for Coco shown is better than her base redesign along with that of Cortex for this game.

• Thumbs Up 1

Well this renowned leaker pretty much confirmed it. Activision are doing their usual scummy thing with holding off the Switch and PC versions later for double dipping sales.

3 hours ago, Nina Cortex Jovahexeon said:

It really is amazing how pretty much every alternate costume for Coco shown is better than her base redesign along with that of Cortex for this game.

Hows that?

All that's changing is her outfit and hair.

15 hours ago, StaticMania said:

Hows that?

All that's changing is her outfit and hair.

Do you want the long version, the short version, the medium version or the direct version?