Awoo.

Crash Bandicoot 4: It's About Time (PS4 / Xbox One)

Jango

22 minutes ago, Nina Cortex Jovahexeon said:

Or basically, anyone who wants to get the secret endings. 

Well... yeah pretty much. Sucks doesn’t it?

I am one of those that wants to reach that point too btw, but l’ve resigned myself to not pushing it for reasons already stated. From the sounds of the above it might not really be worth the hassle anyway?

But this doesn’t excuse that the overall completion routes could have been approached another way by TFB. I’ll see how I feel about it moreso when I reach the stage that particular stage that others have already. 

Just now, mayday2592 said:

The 106 percent ending is kinda obvious and REALLY isn't worth it.

Granted, someone has to either look it up online to know that, or be like us and foolishly persevere to find out. Hence there being something of a Super Mario Sunshine-factor at play:fantastic main game, some fine bonus levels, great lore expansion...but god damn is getting the final rewards a chore that just bloats, expands and in the end, leaves you feeling kind of empty.

3 minutes ago, Son-icka said:

But this doesn’t excuse that the overall completion routes could have been approached another way by TFB.

Pretty much. There needed to be more balance. I get hiding the crates, but not to the point where someone absolutely needs a guide sometimes.

• Thumbs Up 3

I find it odd in general how much inspiration they took from Crash Bandicoot 1. Like, it's not a terrible game by any means, but it certainly is not the most fondly remembered in the original trilogy. Crash 2 and Crash 3 are by far the more popular, and hell, I'd even say Twinsanity is probably more liked than Crash 1. That might just be a personal preference, but I just find it very odd they seemed to go for that game for inspiration in both difficulty and nostalgia. I get it was the first game, but that game has some severe flaws to where it makes not completing the game any fun at all. Even in the first game, the bonus levels weren't as difficult. The only problem with them was that if you fucked up, you could not do it again, which this game luckily takes cues from 2 and 3 for those bonus levels in terms of restarting them... but difficulty, it's like 4 stages of regular bonus levels in the game and then rest are all N. Brio bonus levels from Crash 1 as I believe someone in here stated previously. Of course, it plays closer to 3 than any of the other games in the series, but in sense of how unforgiving this game is in difficulty, it is very much similar to Crash 1. Just a very odd choice. I don't want the game to be easy, and I thank the lord that they didn't add a million vehicle stages or have any underwater stages, but still, I think there's a better way of having the game be difficult while not completely pissing you off.

Also, I should state that the base game is fun. It's fully completing it that is rage inducing and just feels unfair at times. 

Edited by Winston

I gotta say that, while I think it's not visually appealing, the yellow circle shadow helps A LOT. They are really usefull in 3D, I'm glad TfB added them.

• Thumbs Up 2

17 minutes ago, Jango said:

I gotta say that, while I think it's not visually appealing, the yellow circle shadow helps A LOT. They are really usefull in 3D, I'm glad TfB added them.

I hated that little yellow circle in the build up to the games release. And I was so happy when I found out you could toggle to turn it off...

... and It has stayed with me since the beginning 🤣

Can this game not hold a consistent 60fps? Its fine in the stages, but drops when in cutscenes. 

1 minute ago, Kuzu said:

Can this game not hold a consistent 60fps? Its fine in the stages, but drops when in cutscenes. 

It's 60fps on Xbox One X/PS4 Pro, uncapped with drops on PS4/Xbone base

5 minutes ago, Ryannumber1Scarer said:

It's 60fps on Xbox One X/PS4 Pro, uncapped with drops on PS4/Xbone base

That's dumb, should have just capped it at 30 on the base models tbh. 

I actually got a perfect run in Draggin' On on my first attempt and I still don't know how. But then I saw the colored gem hint at the end and said, fuck. Indeed I tried, but couldn't do it yet xD

I actually didn't have a ton of issue getting the blue gem. Just did it there now, and it only took me 20 tries, and even at that, you can use the bonus level as a checkpoint for the final section. 13 of those was on the final section. 

• Thumbs Up 1

7 hours ago, Conando said:

Speaking of wanting you to do things from the old Crash games, which had much more condensed stages, how about Draggin’ On having a no crate blue gem? The hell were they on when putting things like that in?

this this this a million times this.

I'm willing to bet actual money on Toys for Bob never actually playtesting that level. Or at least the people they got to playtest it where Crash Bandicoot gods who would've blown it's challenge out of the water.

"oh it has a no crate gem, it's like the 1st level of crash 2"

yes except that level was short and puzzling in the good way where the level design was clearly built around that challenge. Like that wall of crates. You wonder "how do I get around that?"  then you notice the multi-bounce crate, so you hop on it precisely once to scale the wall. That's a clever moment that gets the blood pumping.

Imagine that level with less of that clever design, more relying on pixel perfect platforming, and you have a powerup that forces you to constantly spin, and it's a long level where you can't break checkpoint boxes.

That might be my main problem with the game. The other stuff I could see being fixed in a sequel: tying costume earning not to overall gem collection but making it level specific (though that could be to incentivize replaying the levels), having a linear level progression like Crash 1 rather than the small hubs of 2/3/WoC, all the tertiary characters (Tawna, Dingodile, Cortex) best levels being their introductory ones because they're the only ones where are controlled the entire way through and they don't awkwardly swap to Crash/Coco half way through. Like... I get that Tawna spooked N.Brio, causing him to misthrow the mixture and blowing open the door for Crash, seeing how that happened is cool... but why do I then have to play the exact same level I just played as the exact same character I just played it as after that point? I should not be reminded of Sonic 06's amigo swapping in the year of our lord 2020.

side-rant: what is with retro revival games having obscenely, grotesquely massive levels that take what feels like ages to beat? Sonic Mania, Mega Man 11 and now Crash 4. Makes completion a total chore.

7 hours ago, Conando said:

Speaking of wanting you to do things from the old Crash games, which had much more condensed stages, how about Draggin’ On having a no crate blue gem? The hell were they on when putting things like that in?

Let's talk about that Bonus Stage

Spoiler

There's an Extra Life Box high up in the beginning of the stage. I thought you were supposed to bounce off the one of the Dragons to get up there.

HA HA HA...NOPE

You're supposed

1. to activate 'Akano, get high enough to destroy the highest floating box, but not the box underneath it
  2. deactivate 'Akano and just land on the box
  3. without jumping, use the momentum from landing the box to move the right
  4. activate 'Akano and then Death Tornado Spin over to the box

I never would have found that out on my own

Also, I saw the golden cymbals throughout the stage and hit them, thinking hitting all of them would unlock the Yellow Gem.

There's an area that Crash/Coco can slide under, but there's nothing really there...unless there's something in N-Verted Mode...

• My Emmerdoods 1

I’ve got to say re: the story and additional developments for these characters:

...Is really, really good. The cutscenes are beautifully shot, each characters motivations and reasons for being make sense, and making N-Tropy (and F N-Tropy as far as I am aware so far) the main baddies was a good call as they have a more competent composure that I prefer compared to Cortex, who’s pretty much just the comic relief baddie now.

...And that’s actually fine as well. After Crash 3 you can pretty much tell Cortex is just fed up after being beaten so often (I liked his “Wrath of Cortex”  line in this haha). But what was really great was that despite wanting world domination, he gets upset when he is referred to as a bad guy, he knows he’s the villain but doesn’t see himself as a “bad” guy, and that’s great. I loved it when Crash just gave him a hug after their forth (and potentially final) battle.  

Even characters like N-Gin (who usually just follow blindly) have a bit more depth. The whole “Rockit Hed” boss obviously shows he has other interests which he has channelled into his schemes.

I don’t think there is any real discrepancy with N-Brio like a few have mentioned. He’s self serving and not really loyal to anyone but his experiments. If you listen to his dialogue in the levels he does refer to feeling confused over his actions considering he helped the bandicoots previously - but ultimately decided to test his new potions against them before taking on Cortex. So for him it’s nothing personal. 

Even seeing Dingodile give up his mercenary life to build a restaurant was interesting. It kind of gives these characters good or bad some extra depth.

Initially I was a bit disappointed by the Tawna reveal - not only because it was an obvious play, but moreso because I felt it would have been far more interesting to develop OG Tawna character from the original timeline (especially considering they did this with the others as above). That being said, the idea of the ‘coots copping it in her reality and seeing how this affects her motivations and actions in Crash 4’s story does make more sense having played it now - and it’s pretty damn dark how F N-Tropy describes the way she killed them.

Lastly, despite Crash having always been a silent protagonist and gets plenty of comical moments to shine... this actually feels more like Coco’s game to me - she’s the real MVP. I don’t know if it’s because she’s the character I used throughout the adventure, or because most of the dialogue and emotional beats comes from her... But she’s the hero of this tale as far as I am concerned. 

I am also officially over Coco’s overhauled design change now. Obviously it fits more with the aesthetic they’ve gone for... but the way these characters are animated is nothing short of wonderful. (I do appreciate the OG skins inclusions... even if it’s not the N-Sane trilogy renders - maybe a future update TFB?)

So nice feature I just found. The Nitro detonator at the end of stages DOSEN'T DETONATE NITROS IN THE BONUS ROUNDS! TFB, WHY!?!?

44 minutes ago, Harkofthewaa said:

So nice feature I just found. The Nitro detonator at the end of stages DOSEN'T DETONATE NITROS IN THE BONUS ROUNDS! TFB, WHY!?!?

Wait, doesn't bonus levels that have nitro crates have it's own nitro detonator at the end (except the levels with Kapuna-wa) ?

8 hours ago, Sonictrainer said:

Let's talk about that Bonus Stage

FUCK, I remember that! That one indeed gave me a headache haha But I think the hardest Bonus Round I've encountered so far is the Booty Calls N.Verted mode. I've noticed that 90% of the time I'm failing too much in a bonus level, I'm doing something wrong, usually over complicating the level. I always use my first run to exam the whole picture, before activating TNTs and "!" marks. It helps and it feels great to nail. These bonus stages are great IMO.

Finished all the flashback tapes with Crash, sad there isn't a cutscene at the end showing Brio and Cortex putting Crash in the Cortex Vortex. But my God, all the lore drop and funny dialogue was worth the high difficulty of those levels. It's so good.

22 minutes ago, Jango said:

Wait, doesn't bonus levels that have nitro crates have it's own nitro detonator at the end (except the levels with Kapuna-wa) ?

Yes, but in literally every other Crash game the detonator at the end blows up all the nitros in a level and I found out the hard way it dosen't work like that in this game. It was the second space level, I left four nitros in the bonus round undetonated, get to the end and see the goal with only four crates left. I felt pretty good about managing to get a box gem on my first run through, triumphantly hit the detonator and nothing. Sigh...

Edited by Harkofthewaa

No, no, what I meant is, unless I'm mistaken, there's a nitro detonator inside the bonus level itself when there are nitro crates in it. The only time I didn't saw one was in the bonus levels you have access to Kapuna-wa, because she allows you to blow the nitros yourself, which makes sense for the masochist perfection the game demands from us xD I'm still at the Prehistoric World, I'm clearing every world as I advance in the story, I'm far behind you guys.

Again, in every other Crash game there is one detonator that blows all the nitros. This game has detonator in the bonus rounds, which I made the mistake of assuming they're there for convenient puzzle solving. I assumed that all the nitros would be linked the the end of level box like every other Crash game. But they are not. If you want to get all the crates you need to make sure you don't leave nitros in the bonus rounds.

The way I did the bonus round in that level was wrong as far as the game was concerned as I left four nitros undetonated due to the way I solved it, with the bonus round detonator used so I couldn't blow them up. Being a long time Crash fan I left it like that because I assumed that the end level detonator would blow those four nitros.

• Absolutely 1

Any favorite levels / world / theme so far?

I think mine's New Orleans and Japan. The Pirate world is also pretty awesome. This game is beautiful as hell, goddamn.

10 minutes ago, Jango said:

Any favorite levels / world / theme so far?

I think mine's New Orleans and Japan. The Pirate world is also pretty awesome. This game is beautiful as hell, goddamn.

I know right? There are so many moments in this game where my jaw dropped at some of the locales, TFB were very clearly proud of their work where the camera pans to show off and highlight some of this stuff cinematically in-game.

It makes me feel glad Crash 4 came at the end of this current gen’s Life Cycle. Its when the best of the best come from a lot of Devs experienced with the architecture and handling of the respective console. 

It is certainly one of the most visually prettiest and most consistent frame rate coping platformer games I’ve played this gen in any case. 

As for favourites... it’s so difficult to choose in terms of Dimensions as every level is so varied in theme. 

But to name a few of my highlights:

Rude Awakening - A wonderful new rendition of the first act from Crash 1.

Hit the Road - The Chase sequence at the end was freaking nuts.

Hook, Line, and Sinker - Because Playing as Tawna is amazing. I want a whole game of this.

Give it a Spin - The Japan Inspired Tranquility Falls realm in general was gorgeous, but I really enjoyed the Tornado hover sections gliding over the lakes. 

Off Beat - the Musical Level before Dingodile comes in, this was insane and creative. 

Bears Repeating - Polar and Chasing A skiing Cortex down a mountain. Just Yes.

Dino Dash - Beautiful Landscapes against terrific looking Dinos. I loved that the chase sequence was changed up in each section as to not get stale. 

Crash Landed - Spoilers. But again the vistas and ideas used for platforming were inventive and challenging. Loved it.

Probably the...

...Sn@xx Dimension as a whole - especially as I thought the main campaign would end after beating The Tropy’s, so getting more content was amazing...

...but the final sequence at the end of the last level in this dimension was particularly challenging (and breathtaking).

Just changing the subject real quick: I just read that our man, Roger Craig Smith, Sonic himself, is the voice of N. Brio in Crash 4. And he is flawless, holy bananas.

43 minutes ago, Jango said:

Just changing the subject real quick: I just read that our man, Roger Craig Smith, Sonic himself, is the voice of N. Brio in Crash 4. And he is flawless, holy bananas.

I wonder if he's also

Spoiler

The voice of Crash during the 100% ending

and in the main game?