Awoo.

Crash Bandicoot 4: It's About Time (PS4 / Xbox One)

Jango

At this rate, if Activision does get a rep in Smash, don't be surprised if they pushed more for a Call of Duty or Overwatch rep given where their priorities clearly lay.

Think the saddest thing about this is that it basically confirms that Crash and Spyro had nothing but nostalgia going for it if it didn't even sell all that much in its lifetime. 

11 hours ago, Kuzu said:

Think the saddest thing about this is that it basically confirms that Crash and Spyro had nothing but nostalgia going for it if it didn't even sell all that much in its lifetime. 

I'd say nostalgia was a big factor for the N.Sane Trilogy because it's the game that reopened that door after the 8 years hiatus after all. But I disagree that nostalgia was ALL these comebacks had going for, these are quality games. Hell, Nitro-Fueled became the definitive way to play CTR, so did THPS 1+2. And they did sold like crazy, especially NST and THPS. 

I think the situation has more to do with the fact that Crash, Spyro and THPS all belong to the same company that owns Call of Duty, which very few games are able to outsell nowadays =\ It stinks, Activision owning some of my favorite IPs is something I could never fully digest, but we take what we can get, and I'd be lying if I say we didn't got great games despite all their usual shit in the middle. Maaaaaybe there's still hope for more Crash this year since they're doing the 25th anniversary thing, and some """"""insiders"""""" confirmed the existence of Spyro 4, the only one I'm no longer holding any breathe is THPS. A shame tho', I would've bought THPS 3+4 in a heart beat.

• Thumbs Up 3

7 minutes ago, Jango said:

Hell, Nitro-Fueled became the definitive way to play CTR

Ehhhh. Roster-wise? Sure. But gameplaywise? That's debatable. 

I'd agree with you there if they had fixed a lot of egregious errors.

Yes, being able to switch engines for characters is great,  but the game still has godforsaken glitches and physics breaking that wasn't even in the original. 

And unfortunately,  it didn't even fix all the problems from the original either.

It's a case similar to the N. Sane trilogy where you could argue either is the more definitive thing to play due to the flaws of the remake.

10 minutes ago, Jango said:

think the situation has more to do with the fact that Crash, Spyro and THPS all belong to the same company that owns Call of Duty, which very few games are able to outsell nowadays

This I can agree with full heartedly though. The games certainly did not sell badly and were doing arguably well for their genres. 

Activision are moronic, greedy, and obsessed enough to tank potential franchises the second they don't sell them at ludicrously high rates, so that they can ship companies off to the CoD mines or have them get absorbed into other companies, unable to work on certain things.

15 hours ago, Kuzu said:

Crash N.Sane and CTR sold extremely well. Over 10 million units for the first remaster, and CTR having the biggest launch ever for the series. Crash 4 sold enough to show up on the top digital sales for countries like New Zealand for a bit, but it def wasn't a huge sale monster like the first two. Definitely wasn't a flop like some sites suggested. N.Sane still shows up in the top 30 on the Nintendo Eshop from time to time, so there's definitely profit potentially with the series. Even the mobile game is doing very well.

This is the same industry that tried to convince us single player was dead, and that survival horror was dead, despite the potential those two clearly had, and still clearly have. I’m not surprised Activision would try and kill off a potential market dominator for a short term tunnel vision goal of making CoD slightly better. Falls in line with what I expect from these game industry execs even tho it’s frustratingly shitty

Activision responded to the controversy surrounding Toys for Bob being moved to COD:

In short, they've attempted to claim that the reports of lay offs are inaccurate, and that Toys for Bob will be continuing support of Crash 4....but knowing Activision, it's almost definitely pure bullshit and their idea of "support" is just the occasional patch to fix bugs. They're straight up denying the layoffs as well, which shouldn't be surprising.

• Thumbs Up 1

Not giving the benefit of the doubt to Activision or anything, but some artists and writers came clean about this on Twitter, and they left TFB in good terms, perhaps no one was actually "fired", but simply decided to leave after Activision's decision to send the studio to the CoD mines. Nicholas Kole deleted the tweet where he basically said everyone he's worked with got the boot, maybe because he thought that was what happened and later found out it wasn't like that.

In any case, it's always amusing when companies put out PR statements about something that, due to the context and company in question, no one even remotely believes isn't just a baldfaced lie just to save face. 

Like when Zuckerberg or whatever trots out and says "We at Facebook care about you, the individual user" and everyone reads it and makes a jerkoff motion with their hand. 

• Thumbs Up 1

• 3 weeks later...

I have not completed this game yet, but from what I have played, I love it! I especially love the Quantum Masks incorporated into the gameplay. 

On 5/4/2021 at 10:06 AM, Ryannumber1gamer said:

Activision responded to the controversy surrounding Toys for Bob being moved to COD:

In short, they've attempted to claim that the reports of lay offs are inaccurate, and that Toys for Bob will be continuing support of Crash 4....but knowing Activision, it's almost definitely pure bullshit and their idea of "support" is just the occasional patch to fix bugs. They're straight up denying the layoffs as well, which shouldn't be surprising.

That is good to know. I was hoping that Toys For Bob working on Warzone could have meant one of many bad things for Crash, with the layoffs and all as well.

• Thumbs Up 1

• 1 month later...

Looks like they're not shying away with throwing in "mild language" in the writing for the series, even mocking the shock people had about Dingodile swearing in IAT.

21 minutes ago, CrystalMaelStorm said:

Crash, and by extension, Spyro, apparently deserve better.

They always did, as have been mentioned, but people were afraid to critique business practices out of fear for them getting shelved again, because Activision are exactly that kind of company. To the point where people would lap stuff up, even with the godforsaken microtransactions.

• Thumbs Up 3

1 minute ago, Jovahexeon Jax Joranvexeon said:

They always did, as have been mentioned, but people were afraid to critique business practices out of fear for them getting shelved again, because Activision are exactly that kind of company. To the point where people would lap stuff up, even with the godforsaken microtransactions.

Shelved? What does that mean in this case?

Anyway, while I am not expecting much to change from this, I do hope Activision learns from this lawsuit in some way, as unlikely as it may be, as discrimination and harassment against women is a serious no-no.

24 minutes ago, CrystalMaelStorm said:

Say, did anyone post this yet?

Lawsuit filed against Activision Blizzard for harassment and discrimination against women | GamesIndustry.biz

Crash, and by extension, Spyro, apparently deserve better.

Of course they did. They've always deserved better. Between employee mistreatment back in the Universal days to this going on now. Of course they've always deserved better.

• Thumbs Up 2

3 minutes ago, CrystalMaelStorm said:

Shelved? What does that mean in this case?

The case that people were scared that Activision would do Crash and Spyro the same way they did with the Transformers WFC series. When the third entry that Activision pretty much sabotaged with a different team and putting it in the tie-in lanes of rushed development, didn't sell as well (big shock), instead of accepting accountability for it, Activision just torpedoed the franchise.

Fans of Crash and Spyro are afraid of the same thing happening to those franchises, so some try to ignore criticisms or make excuses for it, no matter how heinous to get people to stomach it so Activision supposedly won't get the wrong idea and pull the plug.

Which makes it all the more annoying and not always as flowing when trying to give critiques to improve things.

And with how Activision have been treating the companies behind the recent Crash and Spyro games, things are not boding well in the slightest.

• Thumbs Up 1

1 minute ago, Jovahexeon Jax Joranvexeon said:

The case that people were scared that Activision would do Crash and Spyro the same way they did with the Transformers WFC series. When the third entry that Activision pretty much sabotaged with a different team and putting it in the tie-in lanes of rushed development, didn't sell as well (big shock), instead of accepting accountability for it, Activision just torpedoed the franchise.

Fans of Crash and Spyro are afraid of the same thing happening to those franchises, so some try to ignore criticisms or make excuses for it, no matter how heinous to get people to stomach it so Activision supposedly won't get the wrong idea and pull the plug.

Which makes it all the more annoying and not always as flowing when trying to give critiques to improve things.

And with how Activision have been treating the companies behind the recent Crash and Spyro games, things are not boding well in the slightest.

I see. I believe that Activision also shut down game makers under their wing before like the one who made the Prototype series, right? That may be an unrelated note, but Activision has shut down and torpedoed game makers and game series many times before. They are apparently not good at taking criticism, and are basically holding the game developers and series hostage.

A shame it took so long to someone sue their asses for good, but it's great that it happened. This helps other people to do it too, bet it will be a chain reaction now.

I always said Crash and Spyro deserved a better publisher, because the devs are fantastic and good people. A shame they're under Activision's umbrella, as it also happens with some many other good devs who have to deal with crappy publishers, EA, Sony and Ubisoft just to name a few... 

• Thumbs Up 1

• 1 month later...

Interesting stuff that's been happening (or not) behind the scenes:

As usual, nothing concrete, only teases and hints.

A little more on it:

Edited by Jango
  • Fist Bump 1

So basically whatever the hints towards the Wumpa League thing was (an extra mode in Crash 4? A completely separate / new multiplayer game?) is pretty much confirmed to be happening or starting to come to fruition now. 

The marketing has clearly begun within this slideshow presentation with the fun little hints and “accidental but on purpose” slides and images, and this will probably start escalating more as the month(s) go on until the official reveal. 

Initially thought it might be some sort of add on mode for Crash 4… however I’m beginning to think this is either a separate Crash Bash spiritual successor that TFB are developing, or that Activision want them jumping onboard the live service option and making something akin to say… Fall Guys, but in the Crash Universe. 

Actually it probably is exactly that. Yes. Gotta grind/buy them character skins baby! 

On 7/22/2021 at 3:30 PM, Jango said:

A shame it took so long to someone sue their asses for good, but it's great that it happened. This helps other people to do it too, bet it will be a chain reaction now.

And things have just gotten worse:

• 3 weeks later...