Awoo.

Sonic and Tails R

antyep

So I came across this; a audio drama made by Emi Jones...

...with Mike Pollock voicing Eggman, and Ryan Drummond voicing Sonic!!!!!!! Holy...!!!

• Thumbs Up 3

Yeah I watched it earlier when it premiered. The writing and acting was really good and got me excited for more! 

(It sort of makes me depressed though that in 7 minutes, the characters were portrayed better than they have been in the last 10 years. Oh well).

• Thumbs Up 3

That was a fun listen, once I heard the explosions I quickly turned to the screen thinking something was happening on screen lol

It was great hearing Ryan again, I like him sounding older here. Surprised to see David Humphrey as Knuckles this time, but he does a decent job as well. Emi's Tails is not bad either, I rather like it. Not much to say on Pollock since Eggman usually kills it.

Also Knuckles just trying to do his job again.

• Thumbs Up 1

It's nice hearing Drummond again. Still the best Sonic voice. Would still love for him to return to the games lol

Humphrey is surprisingly good as Knuckles. Would be cool to hear him as Shadow again in a future episode.

• Thumbs Up 3

It definitely shows a lot of promise.

The writing is solid, and I especially loved Sonic's fun banter with Eggman. It really captured that affable sort of antagonism the two have. The story premise as a whole - having to go hunt down the Emerald shards - is kind of standard, but that's fine; As long as the episodes have great character moments along the way, I'm sold.

The acting is a real treat too. Hearing Mike Pollock and Ryan Drummond on the same production is surreal in the best way. The fan voices for Tails and Knuckles do a good job too.

This little semi-officially-endorsed story is canon, at least as far as I'm concerned!

• Thumbs Up 2

24 minutes ago, Dr. Mechano said:

The fan voices for Tails and Knuckles do a good job too.

That’s not a fan doing Knuckles. David Humphrey voiced Shadow back in SA2 and Heroes.

• Thumbs Up 1

10 minutes ago, antyep said:

That’s not a fan doing Knuckles. David Humphrey voiced Shadow back in SA2 and Heroes.

That's incredible.

I didn't recognize his voice as Knuckles, but I think he portrays the character well!

I like it so far. It really brings me back to the 2000s. lol
I'm not super into milking nostalgia, but boy did this remind me how much I missed them.
The plot so far is interesting too.

• Ryan's Sonic sounds older at times, but he does get into the higher range a few times. I enjoy him having more range here. I really missed the energy he brings, gets me feeling pumped up.
  • Emi's Tails is good. This was my first time hearing her.
  • Pollock was great as always. Feels great hearing him get to be a bit serious again.
  • Humphrey's Knuckles felt like Shadow trying to imitate SA1 Knuckles to me. I think if I wasn't familiar with him I wouldn't notice though. I hope he gets to voice Shadow in a future part, even if briefly.
  • Plot wise I find it interesting they have to look for Chaos Emerald shards this time as well as Knuckles' explanation.
  • Seeing Sonic and Knuckles banter again was refreshing.
  • Thumbs Up 2

It's nice to finally hear Drummond back doing some Sonic work, even if it's unofficial. Tails being voiced by Emi Jones leaves nothing much to be desired. I think it's a perfect fit for her since Tails is her all-time favorite of the Sonic cast. Humphrey portraying Knuckles needs a bit of work to sound closer to Scott Drier. Mike Pollock is perfect for who he is.

For future episodes, if possible try and get some of the other characters like Shadow, Rouge and Amy into the show. For a first episode, the story is set up nicely for others to follow and expand upon.

That was pretty good. Hearing Drummond voice Sonic again is ... weird. I guess I'm used to RCS's Sonic at this point, but Drummond is no slouch after all these years. 

I think Emi is a great Tails. I've always thought this, so it's kind of neat to hear that voice along with the official Eggman voice!

This one's definitely aimed towards Adventure fans, references and even sound effects. I can dig it. Looking forward to the next one. 

• Thumbs Up 4

I like that Ryan Drummond chilled out his Sonic. Makes the moment he does go in hard, all the more hype. Prolly my favorite performance from him. Mike Pollock is great as always. Emi and David were good as Tails and Knuckles. Will happily listen to more!

• Thumbs Up 2

Ryan sound odd, but works well, Emi works wonders with tails, David is a nice switch up, but I wish they used Scott Drier though, and Mike Pollock is god-tier as always.

The plot is simple yet effective and compelling, eggman breaks the chaos emeralds and they scatter across mobius-earth. It's video game material if you ask me. Imaging something akin to sonic spitball part 3, as you travel from continent to continent and island to island, that game would make bank, which is what Sega could use about now. 

This radio is awesome, the voice actors are amazing, and the plot is much better than everything we've have for 10 years. I'd almost say that this is one one the best sonic plot since sonic 3 (no offense modern fans). But sadly, I found some who disagree.

I saw a video on dumbsvilles channel, and I'm just gonna say this, he didn't like it.

• He doesn't get the references from the older games, and assumes the characters "aren't acting properly."
  • He generally doesn't like the voice acting, even though it's actually better than he makes it out to be.
  • He's not into Ryan's new voice, which is understandable, it took me quite a bit to adjust to his new voice.
  • And he just finds it really bad.

Overall, his take is quite nitpicky for a starter for a new series, and while I'll respect that and won't freak out about it, I'm honestly baffled.

Oh but he isn't the only one, I forgot her name, but she did a worse take than dumbsville did. It went something like "this is the worst radio I've ever seen," "there's no animation" "just stick to music Emi." Or something like that.

I thought we were all on the same page, but nope. This radio is more divisive than sonic adventure 2.

I don't know. With all due respect, there will always be people here and there who don't like something. But the comments on the video and on other spaces have been possible. 

So I heard that Pollock doesn’t like doing Eggman voices unless Sega gives him the okay. If that’s true then how did Emi got Pollock aboard?

Damn this was tight! While Jason will always be my favorite because I heard him first. But without the nostalgia Ryan would tie with him. Everyone else did great also. This was just great fun overall!

I just have to say the writing is phenomenal. Excellent tone, excellent interaction, excellent characterization.

Ryan finally returns as Sonic after so long and he STILL KILLS IT! So much nostalgia in that wonderful voice! I love the older take he has to match the older Sonic we got post Generations too.

David Humphrey is surprisingly good at Knuckles, reminds me of Scott Dreier's Knuckles from Sonic Heroes (though my favorite is still Travis).

Emi Jones did a great job as Tails too. A bit more high pitched than Colleen and Kate, but not too girly.

And Mike Pollock...well what do you expect from the man himself?  It's pretty surprising that they actually managed to get him for this, considering how reluctant he normally is, but it's a very welcome surprise.

Overall this was an absolute blast to listen to. Makes me want to see games with writing and plots on this level and tone in the future.

Listened to it. It's alright. I'll be honest I personally have never been a big fan of Ryan Drummond's Sonic. He's too Shonen Anime for my tastes and it hasn't really changed here. He's not bad but I don't really care for how he sounds in the role. I willadmit "You complete me" got a smirk out of me though.

I'm also not as hot on David Humphrey's Knuckles. It just kinda sounds like a less intense Shadow to me. I'm also not too fond of how he and Sonic were going to fight but TBF I reread the Archie comics a lot and am over those 2 fighting at the drop of a hat. 

I do like the plot of putting the Chaos Emeralds back together though. That's definitely unique and Emi and Mike are both really good in their roles. 

I really don't want to sound like a contrarian it just was fine to me. Nothing really felt like "OMG this is so much better than the actual games and characterization" to me. I don't really think I'm the audience for this project though TBH.

• 1 month later...

not gonna lie, not as good as the first episode, and I kind of lost track on what was going on a few minutes into the video. so what I could fully remember is:

• Sonic & Tails land on that sonic unleashed location, which I forgot the name of, and sonic decides to cut the mission and take a break (a sonic-y thing to do. I appreciate that Emi)
  • Amy borderline holds sonic hostage and chats about dating things (this Amy is... odd, sa1 and 2 Amy weren't like this, but it's okay I guess)
  • Tails gets a signal about where the next emerald shard is. Sonic and Tails head off, leaving Amy behind (….who talks about romance things kind of creepily)
  • Sonic and Tails find a piece of the emerald in the jungle and find another signal... that's all I can remember from there. tails arbitrarily talks about how he's dragging sonic behind.
  • Sonic then does this toy story 2-like speech about how tails... made a radar...to help them out? IDK what that was about, but... A for effort I guess.
  • Sonic then gains the power to bond the chaos emerald back together with his "golden heart" (which Is actually a pretty good plot point if you ask me. since sonic has had a strong bond with the emeralds for almost 30 years, and the fact that sonic actually does have a golden heart).

overall, despite the things I've complained about... it's still pretty good. not as good as the first, but it's pretty darn good.

I guess my feeling is that I appreciate this more of a "get to hear the old voice actors again" showcase than anything else. It's SUPER nice to hear Ryan again and all, but I don't feel like a radio drama really suits what's kinda just playing out as an average Sonic story.

• 2 months later...

This thing is not just an Audio drama it’s a real new Sonic series. This feels more like a Sonic series than Boom. 
As for characters . I’m really glad that this show did Eggman justice. Mike’s performance is outstanding . Ryan’s return as Sonic is badass and I’m glad that he’s  becomming more and more Sonic as the series goes on