Awoo.

Pokémon Unite (Switch & Mobile)

Sonictrainer

A Team Battle game announced today on the second Pokémon Presents

EbR5E7ZXYAAruYl?format=png&name=900x900

You may think you know Pokémon...…but you’ve never seen a battle like this!

Experience exciting 5-on-5 matches in Pokémon UNITE, a new strategic team battle game in development for Nintendo Switch and mobile devices!.

Hot garbage mobile game with microtransactions © Tencent

Hard pass. Pokémon was doing fine as an immeasurably large brand until it had its second coming in the form of Go. Now it's just ridiculous. It's the most soulless and money grabbing shit out there. Here's hoping the main games can take an up-swing after SwSh, but considering they are no longer the most profitable part of the brand by a large margin, I'm not exactly optimistic.

Oh and seeing TPC get involved with Tencent like this is just laughable. They don't need investment from or partnership with such a shady, controversial and corrupt enterprise.

• Thumbs Up 2

This really didn’t need its own special little presentation lol holy shit. I’m not a huge Pokemon fan, but I know tencent, and how shit they are, and I know Free to Start garbage when I see it, and after the free to play Pokemon Cafe bs that JUST released with microtransactions, do you really wanna announce another cynical game made to get players to dump cash repeatedly into it?

Should have been just a random trailer drop or included last week . Baffled they thought  this was some mega-announcement worth hyping up like a smash reveal.

who the actual fck plays a moba on something thats not a pc? looks neat, but the controls kill it for me. and probably microtransactions..

Game looks like garbage and nothing else. This isn't even remotely close to being the grand online Pokemon game many fans have been desiring for ages... To top it off I can still say all of that despite not even personally caring about the idea of a online Pokemon game. I have even seen enough knockoff online Pokemon games cooler & better done then this... They shouldn't have bothered here.

Wait a minute. Was this the announcement that we got hinted about during last weekend's Pokemon presentation????

14 minutes ago, Nina Cortex Jovahexeon said:

Wait a minute. Was this the announcement that we got hinted about during last weekend's Pokemon presentation????

Yes.

They made a whole separate presentation for this. Negative though the reception may seem, you know this game is going to take millions in profits. This title isn't for us or most "gamers". It's good a casual audience who just enjoy Pokémon for being Pokémon.

Although the fact that this is currently the no. 2 trending video in gaming on YouTube and has a 2:1 dislike to like ratio is funny.

• Thumbs Up 3

Amazing how many people are going to bat for tencent or justify the Pokemon company working with them 

Like sure you can argue “well they need to broaden their market to China” or some shit, but...it’s fucking tencent. You don’t have to defend them, or the Pokemon companies decision to work with them, just because your loyalism to the series makes you always give Pokemon the benefit of the doubt. (Also implying they NEED to widen their market, when they’re one of the biggest power franchises in the world, is kinda fucking funny)

Also no, “it’s free” isnt a compelling argument either for why you can’t be upset 

Yeah... I don't really care all that much about moba games, but this game looks like straight trash. Also, can someone explain to me what is this Tencent company known for that's considered controversial?

• Thumbs Up 1

2 minutes ago, Mania Pipe said:

Yeah... I don't really care all that much about moba games, but this game looks like straight trash. Also, can someone explain to me what is this Tencent company known for that's considered controversial?

Chinese propoganda machine, actively punished those that speak out, are notoriously strongly against the Hong Kong protests and support and aid the governments efforts to stop them, steals people data, all around incredibly shady business and has their fingers in a lot of companies/industries likely explaining why many of said companies remain silent on specifically talking about said Honk Kong protests directly and punishing people that do (like Blitzchung in regards to Activison-Blizzard, who work with tencent).

• Thumbs Up 1

1 minute ago, KHCast said:

Chinese propoganda machine, actively punished those that speak out, are notoriously strongly against the Hong Kong protests and support and aid the governments efforts to stop them, steals people data, all around incredibly shady business and has their fingers in a lot of companies/industries likely explaining why many of said companies remain silent on specifically talking about said Honk Kong protests directly and punishing people that do (like Blitzchung in regards to Activison-Blizzard, who work with tencent).

Oh yeah, I remember hearing about the protest in Hong Kong. So, Tencent was responsible for that. Jesus Christ...

TPC sure picked a winner of a company to team up with for this huh? (or sell out to, whichever the case may be).

• Thumbs Up 3

It just hit me that with Nintendo’s online servers on Switch, and with mobile phones spotty consistency with multiplayer and cross play games, this probably will be ass to run full consistent matches for many.

• Promotion 1

• 1 year later...

So the games out now in certain areas...anyone playing it? Curious to know how well it’s running on both platforms 

• 2 weeks later...

I'd say "why are they holographic", but admittedly I'm not sure how Garchomp or Venusaur are supposed to get into those shirts.