Awoo.

A sonic CD sequel

iambitter21

Sonic CD is a game that I didn't necessarily enjoy. the level design is a complete mess, the metal sonic boss is hard as balls, and it just wasn't fun.

I do however, want to give it another chance, by thinking of a proper sequel. So if you were to make a potential sequel to CD, how would you do it?

• 3 weeks later...

What's there to make a sequel to? In my eyes, Sonic CD's primary legacy was brought by its soundtrack and animated intro, which has been done plenty by Sonic since. If the level design shouldn't come back and the gameplay shouldn't, there really isn't anything much left besides continuing the plot. Which in my opinion was pretty much resolved and would just be retreading to go back to Little Planet.

I'd give it a sequel by making Mania 2 have more tracks and variations per zone.

Sonic CD's level design was well on point.

I'd like to see a sequel to CD or a game that features the return of Little Planet and its Time Stones and time travel fun. Would be cool. 

oh, I always forgot that game exists. Guess this mean that this topic is superfluous... just kidding, maybe someone could make an extremely GROUNDBREAKING concept on this topic someday! I hope it doesn't come in too late.

• Thumbs Up 1

• 1 month later...

Sonic CD2 would most likely be a redux of the time travel componet. You could make it crazy like SpaceInvaders Anthology that had you playing so many different games by warping in game across different levels from all the Invaders games. You could be playing a level of CD then warp to Sonic Adventure 2 and back to Sonic The Hedgehog OG and etc. But such a game would require lots of work to function on the variable of when you hit a Past or Future sign to take you to the different past to future Sonic Games. It would be a mammoth undertaking, but be a great anniversary game, to let you travel to the best levels of Sonic via the Past or Future sign post. 

Why  will it be be call sonic cd 2 if the main gimmick that it’s no on the sega cd anymore if it was made it whould be like a sonic  maina  sequel 

• Thumbs Up 1

On 8/27/2020 at 8:08 AM, Nathan said:

Why  will it be be call sonic cd 2 if the main gimmick that it’s no on the sega cd anymore if it was made it whould be like a sonic  maina  sequel 

I don't think the name is important to what the topic is asking.  A sequel to Sonic CD wouldn't automatically be called "Sonic CD 2".  In fact, calling it such would be pretty weird at this point.  What the topic is asking is what kind of experience you'd want out of a new Sonic game that distinctly tries to iterate on at least some of what makes Sonic CD unique.

For most people, that'd be the time travel element as a bare minimum, but possibly other design decisions too, like exploration based stages or stages where maintaining momentum is a challenge, not something that happens automatically by following the intended path.

• Thumbs Up 1

• 1 month later...
On 8/27/2020 at 12:08 AM, Nathan said:

Good point my friend. 

You took the words right out of my mouth. 

It sholuld have been a full series, Sonic DVD, Sonic HD-DVD & Sonic Blu-ray, Sonic HDD and finally Sonic SSD next year.

• Chuckle 1

Wouldn’t a CD sequel be called Sonic Digi for digital download or Sonic Stream? 

8 hours ago, Shadow Chaos Control said:

Wouldn’t a CD sequel be called Sonic Digi for digital download or Sonic Stream? 

Well, I only got a digital copy of Sonic CD when bought it from Steam, no physical cd copy was sent to me. 

8 minutes ago, BlueFlare said:

Well, I only got a digital copy of Sonic CD when bought it from Steam, no physical cd copy was sent to me. 

So technically you own Sonic CD Stream. ;) 

• Thumbs Up 2

• 3 weeks later...

Something like Sonic VR ?

Or I have an idea, a Sonic CD sequel that's actually using a CD-R and features elements similar to late 90's or early 2000's games.

The plot could have Little Planet actually taken over by Eggman (Bad future style) where the whole place is a polluted technological nightmare.

Act 1 would be set in the dystopian bad future, act 2 in the PAST setting (time period where Eggman has barely started the construction cycle) and during every ACT 2 you could have a optional bonus side quest to turn Act 3 into good future.

• 3 months later...

This SAGE 2020 ENTRY exists! Currently a Mania mod but only temporarily and in its very early stages but already showing a lot of promise. Visual flair and an eccentric, up tempo, slightly overbearing but brilliant soundtrack (JP) is what I consider the essence of Sonic CD and this really delivers on that. 

• Thumbs Up 1

• 3 weeks later...

I personally love Sonic CD. Love the music, love the vibe. I can admit the level design can be messy and yes, the Metal Sonic boss is hard lol. A sequel sounds nice in theory but if I'm being honest the SEGA of today just doesn't have what it takes to make it any good imo. So, better off not even going there.

• 4 months later...

Me and Sheldon though up of a concept:

https://gamejolt.com/p/me-and-sheldon-had-came-up-with-ideas-for-what-a-sonic-cd-2-would-l-g6gwub4k