Awoo.

Knuckles'... necklace... thing

Indigo Rush

Hmm, an old topic being revived but I can add something....

it's only a necklace in STC/STCO, I'm pretty sure. Everywhere else Knuckles appears it's a fur mark.

Isn't it rumoured to be some relic of a failed Sega/Nike partnership? I'm sure at one point, knuckles would literally have had the nike logo engraved in his chest.

• Thumbs Up 1

That's what's assumed as fact, but IIRC someone at Retro called for sources on that last year and we realised there's actually none, or something. So eh.

Anyways yes, it seems to just be painted on his chest like the markings of every other Echidna.

On StC, it's a necklace he wears, as they based his design on the Sonic 3 sprites and EU artwork (which is why he has yellow socks, too).

On Archie, it's the birthmark of the Guardian line. Someone mentioned Julie-Su also having it, they'd be wrong.

Wait hold on, you're Knucklesgirl! You're suppose to know every thing about Knuckles! smile.png From his weight, how he keeps the Master Emerald shiny, how many punches does it take him to get to the center of a tootsie pop, and his power level. It's like me not knowing who Tails is... ... the orange one right? I would guess that Sega messed up and spilled white out on him than! smile.png

lol! Answering your questions...

Knuckles weighs 88 lbs (however, the new Sonic Encyclopedia sates he weighs 94 lbs), he would break the tootsie pop into so many pieces the middle would be liquidated, and he is as strong as Sonic is fast,  "which would make him able to lift and press 100 metric tons, making him physically stronger than all other characters in the series." (from Sonic wiki)

but when it comes to this topic of discussion, I would have to say he has a birthmark (and yes, rumor has it that it was originally a nike sign). He wouldn't be Knuckles without it :)

• Thumbs Up 2

Isn't it supposed to be the mark of the echidnas or whatever? It's pretty much a birthmark displaying his race.

I thought it was pretty common knowledge that all it is is simply the Nike logo, being a remnant of how SEGA and Nike had a partnership at the time the character was being designed.

Indeed back in the day Sega was going to team up with Nike and give Knuckles the Nike logo on his chest, but the deal fell through and well there you have it a random patch of white fur was made instead. I don't see how it could even be a necklace. :V

Indeed back in the day Sega was going to team up with Nike and give Knuckles the Nike logo on his chest, but the deal fell through and well there you have it a random patch of white fur was made instead. I don't see how it could even be a necklace. :V

It's not a random patch of fur. It's the freaking Nike logo, that they didn't bother removing when the deal fell through, most likely because sprites/artwork was already finalized.

Techinically it is the Nike logo, but since that fell through they had to modify it a bit so in a sense it's no longer the Nike symbol anymore. I've always taken it as a patch of fur but meh.

It's not a random patch of fur. It's the freaking Nike logo, that they didn't bother removing when the deal fell through, most likely because sprites/artwork was already finalized.

It's not the Nike logo, it was intended to be the nike logo. Ever since the Sega/nike deal fell through it's no longer the Nike logo as Sega wouldn't have been allowed to use it.

Wasn't it stated a few pages back that there were no reliable sources regarding the supposed Sega/Nike partnership?  If something has changed since then, I'd like to see those sources.  As is, it actually seems very unlikely to me that the symbol on his chest is supposed to be a Nike logo.  Really, it only vaguely looks like one from the side, which I guess would make sense considering that at the time of Knuckles' debut, the games were all side scrolling.  From a frontwards angle, however, it resembles a crescent moon more than it does a Nike logo.

With that said, I agree with the theory that it's just the mark of his clan.  Rather or not he was born with it is beyond me.

They could have changed the logo into a crescent very easily, I has no idea about the partnership and just thought it was a tribal mark/tattoo/birthmark. But the logo and the final mark are very similar it wouldn't need to much changing, they couldn't keep it as the Nike logo if the partnership fell through for obvious reasons

Edited by Jolt_TH

They could have changed the logo into a crescent very easily, I has no idea about the partnership and just thought it was a tribal mark/tattoo/birthmark. But the logo and the final mark are very similar it wouldn't need to much changing, they couldn't keep it as the Nike logo if the partnership fell through for obvious reasons

Well, yeah, but with the same amount of effort, if not less, they could have just erased the marking altogether, so I think if they did have a partnership with Nike that didn't come into fruition, that's probably what they'd do.

Edited by Akito

Oh I know, like I said I always assumed it was a birthmark or whatever, but I could see the changes they could make, maybe hey liked the idea of something there, Sonic has his belly and Tails has his fur, so knuckles might have looked a bit bare with nothing on his chest

It is just a patch of fur in the games - no different than the fur on Tails's belly or Shadow's chest - it balances his design a bit so he is not all red while being original (basically so he does not have the same thing Sonic & Tails have on their bellies)

In Archie it is a special patch of fur he was born with denoting his status

In Fleetway it is a necklace

Edit: Crap did I just fall for posting in a necro thread from 2009... ugh

Edited by Darth InVaders

Well, yeah, but with the same amount of effort, if not less, they could have just erased the marking altogether, so I think if they did have a partnership with Nike that didn't come into fruition, that's probably what they'd do.

it'd have been just as easy to remove it, but think about if they removed it now, Knuckles just wouldn't look right. assuming this partnership was true, there'd have been images floating around of knux with the logo for months, removing it may simply not have felt right, so adapting it would have been the way to go.

• Thumbs Up 1

it'd have been just as easy to remove it, but think about if they removed it now, Knuckles just wouldn't look right. assuming this partnership was true, there'd have been images floating around of knux with the logo for months, removing it may simply not have felt right, so adapting it would have been the way to go.

Considering that so far I haven't seen any source that indicates this rumor to be factual, from a magazine or elsewhere, I think it's safe to say that at this point in his design stage, Knuckles' character design was still only known to Sega.  I don't think they would have publicized his the final design until the partnership was given the green light.  So they still could have easily removed it without it seeing too odd.  As for him not looking right without it, I'd have to agree, but rather that's because of the aesthetic value of the mark or because we're so used to seeing it there is debatable.

Edited by Akito

Considering that so far I haven't seen any source that indicates this rumor to be factual, from a magazine or elsewhere, I think it's safe to say that at this point in his design stage, Knuckles' character design was still only known to Sega.  I don't think they would have publicized his the final design until the partnership was given the green light.  So they still could have easily removed it without it seeing too odd.  As for him not looking right without it, I'd have to agree, but rather that's because of the aesthetic value of the mark or because we're so used to seeing it there is debatable.

I meant the people working on the game. There'd be concept art and character designs floating around the office so the developers might have grown attached to him having a mark.

That's if the sega/nike thing ever really happened of course.... *shrugs*

I meant the people working on the game. There'd be concept art and character designs floating around the office so the developers might have grown attached to him having a mark.

That's if the sega/nike thing ever really happened of course.... *shrugs*

Well, yes, I suppose that could have been the case, too, though I tend to think when you're in that line of work for such an enormously successful company, radical last minute character redesigns are probably something you become well acquainted with.  I guess I can understand that maybe they saw that the mark had aesthetic properties in its own right and they decided to adapt something similar.

It really begs the question as to why he doesn't have a belly like Sonic's.  I mean, Mighty does, so why not Knuckles?  But eh, whatever.  I guess a chalk-drawn croissant roll on his chest is good too. =P

It really begs the question as to why he doesn't have a belly like Sonic's.  I mean, Mighty does, so why not Knuckles?  But eh, whatever.  I guess a chalk-drawn croissant roll on his chest is good too. =P

Well mighty is drawn directly over Sonic's sprites to be fair.

Edawh.gif

• Thumbs Up 1

Well mighty is drawn directly over Sonic's sprites to be fair.

Edawh.gif

Ah, point taken.  I don't think that prevented them from giving a different belly, though.  I was going to chalk it up to laziness, but I just realized that Ray the Squirrel has one, too.  Perhaps that was intended to be the default torso for future characters before Tails became a primary cast member?

Okay questions...

What does "necro thread" mean?

What's with the Tikal pictures? If she was real I would love to date her she is nice! :)

What about Knuckles shoes? They look like legos. Does that mean that Sega and legos almost had deal? I not know only asking it!

Okay questions...

What does "necro thread" mean?

A thread that has been inactive for a ridiculously long period of time.  In this case, a span of almost four years.

What's with the Tikal pictures?

I'll assume you haven't played SA1, which reveals that Knuckles is a descendant of an ancient echidna tribe.  Tikal was part of that same tribe prior to its destruction

What about Knuckles shoes? They look like legos. Does that mean that Sega and legos almost had deal? I not know only asking it!

They don't look nearly enough like Legos to suggest any kind of commercial partnership. =/ - At least from the side, you can see the similarities in Knuckles' chest symbol and the Nike logo.  But even with that, the validity of the rumor is still subject to question.

Edited by Akito

What's with the Tikal pictures? If she was real I would love to date her she is nice! smile.png

um.....that's....nice....

• Thumbs Up 3