Awoo.

Favorite sonic game endings

iambitter21

after completing a sonic game, which ending impacts you the most? ok so for me, sonic 3 all the way! after finally getting hyper sonic at a very young age, defeating doomsday zone after a ton a trial and error, you see hyper sonic and the flashing master emerald as sonic lands on the tornado as tails uses a magnet from the back of the plane to hold the emerald as they head back to angel island to help it regain it's shocking ability to float as it rises back up into the stratosphere, with knuckles going back to his loyal duty. the credits sonic is a compilation of sonic zones you've just conquered with your sonic skills. at the end of the song, he LOOKED... AT ME! HE LOOKED AT ME, and then he turned hyper sonic, as he zooms aside the screen as he gave me a thumbs up. sonic was a role model from then. sonic 3 was love at first site, and it was such an awesome experience! Sa2's ending isn't as memorable and iconic as sonic 3's ending, it is SOOOOO far from it to be honest, which says more about sonic 3 than this game. but it still felt genuine and personal, it really felt like sonic team wanted to tell something earnest and inspiring, even it wasn't executed that well.

tell me about your favorite sonic ending down below!

I always loved Sonic Adventure's endings, not just because of the theme songs but also because the FIN Cards

tumblr_msij59TAWo1syr8dpo5_500.png

I also loved Unleashed Ending because it showed photos Chip took offscreen

d45yfwg-c10e1dd1-7ee9-4779-b028-3a81d01b

• Thumbs Up 1

I love everything of Sonic Advance 2's true ending, from the Super Sonic boss to the cutscenes. That scene when Sonic saves Vanilla while falling from the sky.

I also like Sonic Adventure 2's ending, Eggman and Sonic being more friendly than usual and the whole Shadow sacrifice thing.

• Thumbs Up 2

SA2 hands down. The hypest shit and back when teaming up with Eggman meant something before it became played out. It just kept building and building to a dramatic climax, sad end, but hopeful future. Rest easy Heroes!

Sonic Battle. It will always be my favorite Sonic game story-wise. I recently re-watch it and ending still gets to me.

Take Gamma story, make him a good boy, give him real connection to whole Sonic Cast, tear him to pieces and audience with him. That's Sonic Battle.

I don't even care if this game started flanderisation of Amy or Knuckles. It still showed them in positive light, made you care and feel for them. Watching Amy trying to be gentle mother but then loosing her mind when someone touches her baby is way more entertaining than last decade of more mature Amy.

• Nice Smile 1

10 hours ago, Iko said:

I love everything of Sonic Advance 2's true ending, from the Super Sonic boss to the cutscenes. That scene when Sonic saves Vanilla while falling from the sky.

I also like Sonic Adventure 2's ending, Eggman and Sonic being more friendly than usual and the whole Shadow sacrifice thing.

These two are probably the best. I like 3&K's, but it's not quite as good.

Surprisingly, I really like 06's true ending. It's a cheap retcon but at the same time the music and visuals are really good during those last two scenes, and Sonic feels like Sonic again. The last shot of the feather flying towards the moon is amazing.

Come to think of it, most Sonic games have inconsequential endings. I do like Sonic's attitude in most of them being like "yeah that was cool, what's next".

• Thumbs Up 1

Sonic Unleashed is probably my favourite - I adore how it bookends with the opening, and starting the music/credits with Sonic and Tails running/flying alongside each other was just gorgeous (even if it is standing on the shoulders of giants by being a direct throwback to the ending sequences of old).

Beyond that though, I also really love that they include all the photos of Sonic and Chip's journey - it really uses the time to flesh out the adventure beyond what we saw in-game, with tons of little scenes that couldn't have really been represented during gameplay easily. It was really refreshing after most Sonic games just used slideshows of game screenshots or just played bits of the FMV cut-scenes on mute in the corner of the screen simply because they're easy to load up while rolling credits (which... sadly was exactly what the Wii/PS2 versions of Unleashed went for since they had said FMVs to hand and I GUESS in their defense, almost none of NPCs that show up in the Wii/PS2 version have the same personalities/stories as the HD version, which all the little photo scenes shown are based upon).

Beyond that, the melancholy tone of Sonic 2 8-bit and Sonic Adventure 2 will always be nostalgia favourites.  And I'll always love the scene from 2006 in which Sonic and Elise blow out the candle (it's just a shame that the story leading up to it was so naff lol).

• Thumbs Up 1

Sonic 2, Sonic CD, Sonic Adventure and Sonic Advance 2 usually battle for my runner up best endings, but Sonic Adventure 2's gotta be my absolute favorite. Mainly because of this piano theme that plays at the end, too:

Everything in the last story that leads up to this song makes the song all the more powerful, too. 

Amy's ending in Sonic Adventure where she blows a big kiss I can see why it would be to late for Sonic to respect her but it didn't last as half of her personalty got removed when boom came out.

you reminding me about that ending made me remember that weird "flip" she does after blowing that kiss. it is literally so funny.

Debatable whether or not it counts as part of the ending, but I appreciated how Colors ended with some token "escape sequence" gameplay. It's kind of a surprise more games haven't done that; an escape sequence feels like a very "Sonicy" kind of thing, and it's nice to end with a bit of "actual" gameplay, compared to the chronically kind of awkward boss fights.