Awoo.

Do you think the new Sonic game will be teased/officially announced this year?

StarWarsSonic

Or do you think Sega will wait until next year just before it's release?

Its pretty much a given there will be a new game for Sonic's 30th Anniversary (whether it's a new 3D or 2D game) as Sega has said they have exciting plans for it and Takashi Iizuka has said he hopes he can "Meet Fan's Desires"

1) Do you think a teaser trailer/official announcement will happen this year or next?

2) Do you think we will be getting a new 2D or 3D game or both?

3) Would you prefer the next game to be 2D or 3D?

4) Would you prefer a remake or remaster? Or something brand new?

5) This is just a dream that would never happen.. but how would you guys feel if Sega announced an Ultimate Anniversary Collection with all 2D and 3D games included? Obviously impossible on Switch but maybe a 2-3 Disc set for PS5/the new Xbox

Out of curiosity, does anyone know how many 3D games could fit on a Blu-Ray disc? For example could you fit Sonic Adventure, Sonic Adventure 2, Sonic Shuffle, Sonic Heroes, Shadow The hedgehog etc on there with no problem? 

All the 2D games can easily fit on a disc but instead of just the Megadrive/Game Gear games, just add the Advance and Rush games in there as well.

• Way Past Cool 1

Due to the rapidly evolving situation around the global pandemic I don't expect to hear about the next Sonic game for quite some time. Probably not this year. We might even be well into next year before it comes up. They had targeted a 2021 release(probably november) but I assume that was if everything went smoothly. There's no telling when it will come out now. 

Iizuka has alluded to the idea that there will be both 2D and 3D Sonic games going forward so I actually expect to see both released in the same year. I think a 2D Sonic game could potentially hold the series down for a year in it's own right but it's not like I'm an expert when it comes to marketing or sales or anything like that. 

17 minutes ago, StarWarsSonic said:

5) This is just a dream that would never happen.. but how would you guys feel if Sega announced an Ultimate Anniversary Collection with all 2D and 3D games included? Obviously impossible on Switch but maybe a 2-3 Disc set for PS5/the new Xbox

Out of curiosity, does anyone know how many 3D games could fit on a Blu-Ray disc? For example could you fit Sonic Adventure, Sonic Adventure 2, Sonic Shuffle, Sonic Heroes, Shadow The hedgehog etc on there with no problem? 

All the 2D games can easily fit on a disc but instead of just the Megadrive/Game Gear games, just add the Advance and Rush games in there as well.

This is basically what I want from the series the most at this point, a nice, clean archive of high quality ports of the 3D games so that I can play everything and younger Sonic fans can catch up on what they missed. 

The file size on all of these games is legitimately microscopic compared to the average modern game so fitting them all on one disc shouldn't be an issue. The 6th generation of 3D Sonic games seem to average around 1-2 gigabytes and a blu ray disc can hold up to 25,  50 if it's dual layered. Plenty of room for the entire series but I doubt we'll ever be so lucky as to get something like that when they could make more selling the games separately.

• Thumbs Up 1

A new installment of the Sonic Gems Collection with as many games as can be crammed into it and ported well would be amazing. Remakes of the Adventure duology would be welcome as well, because right now the only exposure younger gamers have of sonic games is YouTubers complaining about its glitches and how much it sucks, with the more positive videos very much buried and targeted towards the niche of sonic fans specifically. 

• Thumbs Up 1

Hard to say. I really doubt though we're going to get any game before Winter 2021. Mania and Forces were both announced over a year before they were released. I think there is a 3D game in the pipeline, and  I assume a Winter 2022 Olympics game, assuming Sega has the rights to it. No idea about 2D Sonic, would be nice if they tried to keep 2D Sonic alive but with there now being no portable game systems to throw it onto, it seems less likely.

I think they'll at least reveal that there's a game coming next year that exists. I'm not sure I'd want a repeat of Forces where they reveal the game a year in advance and then show nothing for a long time because it was so early.

• Thumbs Up 2

1) Do you think a teaser trailer/official announcement will happen this year or next?

Given that the only chance an official Sonic announcement's gonna happen this year is with the indefinitely-postponed SXSW panel, I'd say it will happen when the pandemic is under control in the U.S. 

I don't think a 2D game would happen again without Taxman / Evening Star: Mania slapped Sonic Team so hard at its own game, it's suicide to release another 2D title that won't live up to it. My prediction is a 3D game or an Adventure remake of some sort. A remake would cost less than a completely new game, is generally a safe bet, and would sell to existing fans because of.. *ahem* nostalgia.

Honestly, if they want to be competitive they have to release a 3D game. As much as i like 2D Sonic, the 2D platformer market is oversaturated with Indie titles, and it's gonna be reeeeaaallly tough for Sonic to stand out if not for another Mania-quality game. Imagine if Freedom Planet 2, a game from a series that started off as a Sonic fangame (and coincidentally also have Taxman on board), comes out in the same year and absolutely kicks 2D Sonic's ass.

I'd rather they play safe and produce a remake, but hey, a brand new game is fine if it's good.

There is an attempt on that and it's called Sonic Ultimate Bundle on Steam. 

Honestly i would be very thrilled if there is a S3&K SEGA AGES/ Taxman remaster or the sort. But let's face it: not every 2D or 3D Sonic games are good games. I don't want to force myself to play a game i wouldn't enjoy just because it has Sonic in the title. No point selling a port of an old game with no visible improvements to have it play well in the modern age either. 

You know what i'd like? An Ultimate Anniversary Collection Remix Soundtrack. Music is timeless. And while more niche, streaming services now make publishing a lot easier and cheaper than ever.

• Thumbs Up 1

- I don't think so. with the US still being hit hard by the pandemic I think it's save to say that anything announcement related is postponed until this is under control. Maybe if they make the games in Japan..but I'll doubt that they'll do that.

- I personally only want another 2D game. And since we still do not know what Team Evening Star is up to, I still have my fingers crossed. But it's pretty much save to say that there is another 3D game on the way.

- 2D.

- At this point I'd like them to go the Crash route and remake SA1 and 2, only to follow up with a proper SA3 in the future.

- Neat.

I have to agree, I don't see an announcement this year, and honestly, I repeat a hundred times that I wouldn't like a remake, and it's not what SEGA has done in the past, they'd rather make new games with nostalgia, it seems the best compromise between old and new content. Plus if that remake was a thing, they would have to remake both Adventure games, which sounds impossible.

I don't have the intention to awake false hopes, or anything of that kind. But personally, I'm crossing my fingers to see an announcement in the next game awards.
On the other hand, I really (really) hope the next game will be 3-D; As much as I love 2-D, I'm currently way more interested in seeing Sonic in three dimensions.