Awoo.

The dissection of Miles "Tails" Prower.

Kuzu

2 hours ago, batson said:

Tails in the anime is much more of an actual little kid than Tails in the games. Personally I really like both versions, but I can easily see why some would prefer the anime version.

Generally I think the best versions of Tails are the ones that are intellectual but still have a really punctuated child-like streak. That's two very juxtaposing character traits to work off of right there and they have effect on how both work (eg. making inventions but primarily to get attention in a petty sort of way).

This is why OVA and Boom Tails work great for me (Boom Tails even steals OVA's 'bit' at one point XD).

11 hours ago, batson said:

Tails in the anime is much more of an actual little kid than Tails in the games. Personally I really like both versions, but I can easily see why some would prefer the anime version.

From what we have seen of Tails in 2020 Movie, he is very similiar to Anime Tails. SEGA and Paramount I surmise will go that route of characterization. 

I hope to get back to how Tails used to be in the Adventure era. Be smart, but also naive, like the kid he is. Like others have said, the way he's shown in the anime is a good way to do it.

Maybe mix the best bits of each into a new better version. A brave smart kid, who can still go into a childlike amazement if something awesome happens. Someone who can be scared, but manages to be brave enough to go forward anyway. Someone who gets really excited about the things they like.

One of the things I like what they did with Tails in Sonic Mania. In the level transition to Titanic Monarch, when lightning strikes, Tails ends up jumping in fright. Add more personality like this!

I'm gonna be honest and admit I wasn't that much for Adventure Tails. Maybe it was just because the child actors sapped any life out of him, but I just thought he was kind of a dull exposition spouter in those. I don't really count development if it's more them TELLING US what personality they have. It also kinda solidified the ongoing premise that Sonic and Tails actually didn't hang out much outside adventures ("Long time no see") making their partnership seem very formal and dry.

The OVA  I feel fixed those holes better because it not only shows Sonic and Tails hanging out together at the very start, having playful interactions and even arguing in a light hearted petty way, but also Tails can TALK NORMALLY LIKE A KID throughout a lot of it, sure he does techno talk when HE NEEDS TO but it's not his dominant form of dialogue.

Also I have to say I kinda found Tails inventions a bit dull in the Adventure/X era, just sort of generic anime mechs and what not, he felt blandly limitless and without much of an insignia to his work like Eggman often does. I like the current setup of him making more quirky cartoony inventions that don't always work 100%, along with the idea that he does take a lot of pride in them and kinda nudges for some approval out of his niche, again something you'd expect from a little kid (even if Boom and the OVA did a better job making that attribute likeable than Lost Worlds did). Just that little bit of self indulgence feels like it gives Tails a more proactive drive of sorts.

• Thumbs Up 1

@E-122-Psi Nice summary there. Couldn't have said any better. I never really thought about Tails seeming less childlike in the Adventure. Gonna add on to what I said before. I remember watching the old Sonic cartoons, both the adventures and the Saturday morning cartoon. I like how Tails acted here personally. You could tell he was a kid by what he acted like and what he said. But could be very smart like in SatAm, where he was the only one who that the 'Sally' that came back was a fake!

What I'd like to see is a mixture of this Tails and the newer Tails. Childlike and fun, and just being a kid, but is really smart and capable at the same time, making whacky and useful inventions for Sonic and friends to use with his own style! Please do something like this Sega!

I forgot about Imposter Sally and how only Tails could tell it wasn’t the real Sally. I love Tails in OVA, SatAM, and Adventures of Sonic. My hope is SEGA and Paramount borroe from these sources for Sonic 2 (2021-2022). 

• Promotion 1

8 minutes ago, Titan Mecha Sonic said:

I forgot about Imposter Sally and how only Tails could tell it wasn’t the real Sally. I love Tails in OVA, SatAM, and Adventures of Sonic. My hope is SEGA and Paramount borroe from these sources for Sonic 2 (2021-2022). 

Definitely! They were some of the best versions of Tails!

19 hours ago, Nathan said:

Tails is a little kid the most in the adventures of sonic the hedgehog just like my profile pic of him smoking 

Tails needs to stop smoking, medical research has proven its bad for lungs. :D 

• Thumbs Up 1

3 minutes ago, Nathan said:

That’s no good!

I can now picture a spin off. Tails: Tales of a Smoker. XD 

• Thumbs Up 1

4 minutes ago, Nathan said:

Remember kids smoking nots cool I read this weird fanfic that tails starts smoking ha ha 

Haha that reminds me of Power Ranger infomercials that had the Green Ranger saying, “stay in school, don’t do drugs.” 

• Chuckle 1

7 minutes ago, Nathan said:

The don’t be dumb sonic sonic says 1 stay in school 2 stay in school and 3 stay in school

I loved this as a kid, it made me love Math: 

A11EDC31-F4A4-4B34-9C5D-C746B3C6E6B0.jpeg.c4758f5cd6b7687b604780733cdc97df.jpeg

Tails and Knuckles had cameos as statues in the recess games.  

• Promotion 1

5 minutes ago, Nathan said:

Hi I’m sonic and welcome to my school house 

If Sonic was my teacher, I’d have loved more subjects as a kid. Tails could teach Science. :) 

• Thumbs Up 1

1 minute ago, Nathan said:

Yes I never play sonic school house but I need to seems like a very strange game

It was effective, sering your favorite Hedgehog teaching made me like school more. 

• Thumbs Up 1

Tails Teaches would be a great  class. I think there was a Sonic Schoolhouse 2. 

20 hours ago, Titan Mecha Sonic said:

While I have nostalgia for the DiC Tails, I admit that might be a bit too far into the opposite extreme, being more focused on the dopey childlike parts.

I notice that generally the most enjoyable characters in the franchise tend to have at the very least two juxtaposing character traits.

* Sonic is altruistic and has an almost Tao-like sense of wisdom, but on the other hand he's also extremely impulsive and narcissistically thinks he's the coolest guy on the planet.

* Eggman is a megalomaniacal genius but also a tantrum throwing buffoon who is in love with himself even more so.

* Amy is high spirited and sees the best in everyone, but is also a temperamental lovesick brat.

* Big is a slow witted hermit but sometimes has a Winnie the Pooh-type philosophical or clear viewing side.

Most of these characters' best moments are seeing how their very contrasting sides clash and challenge themselves, and when Flanderization kicks in and one trait becomes more dominant, they tend to come off as more two dimensional especially since the two sides often represent their strengths and flaws respectively (eg. the dopey aspects of Knuckles taking over or the straight man aspects of Sally, with their other traits no longer providing contrast).

I think that's why I like OVA and Boom Tails because those are both the childlike AND genius sides of Tails played at full throttle and fighting for dominance of his personality or in some cases infiltrating how the other side works (ie. Tails making gadgets but out of a petty drive for attention).

I think Tails` development in Sonic Adventure was good in theory, but rather poor in execution. I think him beating Eggman and feeling proud about it was a great moment, but the lead up to it makes it less impactful since Tails` story is roughly 2/3rds the same as Sonic's, and the idea that he relies too much on Sonic is more informed than anything actual. I can see what they were going for and why it resonated so much with fans that it's fondly remembered to this day, but I can see why others might not be too keen on it and find it ingenuine. 

• Thumbs Up 1

21 hours ago, E-122-Psi said:

I'm gonna be honest and admit I wasn't that much for Adventure Tails. Maybe it was just because the child actors sapped any life out of him, but I just thought he was kind of a dull exposition spouter in those. I don't really count development if it's more them TELLING US what personality they have. It also kinda solidified the ongoing premise that Sonic and Tails actually didn't hang out much outside adventures ("Long time no see") making their partnership seem very formal and dry.

4 minutes ago, Kuzu said:

I think Tails` development in Sonic Adventure was good in theory, but rather poor in execution. I think him beating Eggman and feeling proud about it was a great moment, but the lead up to it makes it less impactful since Tails` story is roughly 2/3rds the same as Sonic's, and the idea that he relies too much on Sonic is more informed than anything actual. I can see what they were going for and why it resonated so much with fans that it's fondly remembered to this day, but I can see why others might not be too keen on it and find it ingenuine. 

I wonder if part of that is a combination of the Japanese odd straightforwardness when it comes to dialogue(going by what little I've seen in places) and technical limitations with the presentation.

21 hours ago, E-122-Psi said:

Also I have to say I kinda found Tails inventions a bit dull in the Adventure/X era, just sort of generic anime mechs and what not, he felt blandly limitless and without much of an insignia to his work like Eggman often does. I like the current setup of him making more quirky cartoony inventions that don't always work 100%, along with the idea that he does take a lot of pride in them and kinda nudges for some approval out of his niche, again something you'd expect from a little kid (even if Boom and the OVA did a better job making that attribute likeable than Lost Worlds did). Just that little bit of self indulgence feels like it gives Tails a more proactive drive of sorts.

It also goes along with the idea that he's more of a tinkerer than a direct inventor.

• Thumbs Up 1