Awoo.

The dissection of Miles "Tails" Prower.

Kuzu

20 minutes ago, Kuzu said:

I think Tails` development in Sonic Adventure was good in theory, but rather poor in execution. I think him beating Eggman and feeling proud about it was a great moment, but the lead up to it makes it less impactful since Tails` story is roughly 2/3rds the same as Sonic's, and the idea that he relies too much on Sonic is more informed than anything actual. I can see what they were going for and why it resonated so much with fans that it's fondly remembered to this day, but I can see why others might not be too keen on it and find it ingenuine. 

Yeah I did at least like the last climax and understand why it is cherished, but I think the key there was it was the point they did actually put some degree of personality and emotion into him, not just TELLING US what he's supposed to be like.

16 minutes ago, DabigRG said:

I wonder if part of that is a combination of the Japanese odd straightforwardness when it comes to dialogue(going by what little I've seen in places) and technical limitations with the presentation.

I dunno. I've watched a fair few anime subs before and believe some do a better job getting in that sense of playful natural friendship between characters, (I don't know how much of it is down to liberties made by the sub writers admittedly, but hey it's not like the Adventure games didn't take liberties translating) either way the Japanese are still plenty capable of sarcasm and playful banter. It's not just the dialogue though, the general setup in those games was pretty to the point and didn't really waste time with their dynamic, rarely even in just simple in-between banter like Colours does for example. I guess it was just maybe something they assumed every fan knew was the norm by then and took for granted was already well established.

5 minutes ago, E-122-Psi said:

Yeah I did at least like the last climax and understand why it is cherished, but I think the key there was it was the point they did actually put some degree of personality and emotion into him, not just TELLING US what he's supposed to be like.

I dunno. I've watched a fair few anime subs before and believe some do a better job getting in that sense of playful natural friendship between characters, (I don't know how much of it is down to liberties made by the sub writers admittedly, but hey it's not like the Adventure games didn't take liberties translating) either way the Japanese are still plenty capable of sarcasm and playful banter. It's not just the dialogue though, the general setup in those games was pretty to the point and didn't really waste time with their dynamic, rarely even in just simple in-between banter like Colours does for example. I guess it was just maybe something they assumed every fan knew was the norm by then and took for granted was already well established.

I was mainly focusing on the missile stuff.

Fair enough.

40 minutes ago, Kuzu said:

...makes it less impactful since Tails` story is roughly 2/3rds the same as Sonic's, and the idea that he relies too much on Sonic is more informed than anything actual.

You can work with this limitation.

A clear way to show this...is to have all the boss fights still make you play as Sonic until the last one. The point should be clear at least and none of those bosses are made for Tails anyway.

47 minutes ago, DabigRG said:

I wonder if part of that is a combination of the Japanese odd straightforwardness when it comes to dialogue(going by what little I've seen in places) and technical limitations with the presentation.

It also goes along with the idea that he's more of a tinkerer than a direct inventor.

I love that, Tails the Tinkerer. That fits him better. I reall ove the scene when he is tinkering with Robotnik’s watch.

• 1 month later...
On 8/27/2020 at 3:12 AM, batson said:

Tails in the anime is much more of an actual little kid than Tails in the games. Personally I really like both versions, but I can easily see why some would prefer the anime version.

I agree. I like Tails in all his iterations. He embodies innocence and devotion.