Awoo.

Who is the Sonic Franchise's One True... BEST GIRL?

Polkadi~☆

Yes, we're really doing this.

spacer.png

Who do you think, of all parts of the Sonic franchise, is best girl? Indeed, the Best Girl Wars are forever ongoing across the internet landscape, but let's narrow it down to the series of this particular blue bastard.

There are many girls who have become part of the series, every one of them unique in their own special ways, but can we really decide who is the best of them all? The coolest, the cutest, the funniest, the sweetest, who would be best to date and who would be best to wife up with; there are many factors that go into deciding this. And of course, they don't need to be Sonic's love interest either, they can stand on their own merits.

With so many girls to pick from, can the Sonic Stadium truly come to a definitive answer?!
Who is best girl, and why?!

also, best boy is unironically big the cat so don't bother arguing that

• Nice Smile 1

Most would probably say Blaze by a landslide.

But really though it's Tikal, the coolest and sweetest of all.

8RnuX8J.png

We miss you.

• Thumbs Up 1

I don't want to come off as bais since she's my absolute favorite character but Rouge definitely 100% no question. 

She's a fun morally grey character in a series filled with black and white morals and her sassy personality makes her an absolute joy to watch.

• Thumbs Up 3

We stan Tekno in this house! 

STC103-TeknoTekno01.png.ccca0affbac8bb6e848baf64c8076f3a.png

A former weapon's engineer, working for Robotnik, found herself in need of a career change when the good doctor found out she'd been dealing weapons and cutting checks to both sides. I like the idea of a bad girl turned good, she's got a comparable skillset to Rotor as a weapon's engineer. She's good friends with Amy, and that striped turtleneck with like a jean skirt?... she's killing it! Can we jettison Big and put her on Team Rose? No hard feelings big guy.

Honestly I wish I was better versed in StC so I could better appreciate this character.

(Just a caveat, I don't have a working memory of StC and my recollections, and character reads might border on fannon, and should be taken with a grain of salt.)

• Thumbs Up 1

May I just say that if I had a time machine, one of the first thing I’d do is track down the first person who ever had the idea of omitting the word “the” from its proper grammatical use before the word “best”, and kick that person in the nuts before he ever got that idea?  Or if it’s a women, twist her boobs?  Because some things about modern Internet lexicon, I fucking hate with a passion, and this is one of them.

Also, it’s Lumina Flowlight.

I don't vote for Tekno, but you forgot her most important asset.

https://board.sonicstadium.org/uploads/monthly_2018_01/image.png.ca08eba0faef8cbe484709b5b71db6fb.png

Ok, but my vote, hmmm, tough choices.

Amy, Rouge, Cream, Blaze, Sticks, Wave, Marine, Tikal, Vanilla, Shade, Tiara....
Sally, Bunnie, Nicole, Mina, Fiona, Lien-Da, Relic, Coral, Undina, Breezie, Honey...
Tangle, Whisper, Thunderbolt, Cassia, Clove, Cosmo, Tekno, Sonia, Percy, Zooey....
Julie HA, no.

Yeah, I think that's extensive list. Unless some weirdo wants to talk about those hew-mons, like Elise, Katella or Madonna.

In a way Marine is my favorite girl, but not in favorite girl category, if you follow.

• Chuckle 1

For me, it's Cream. She's sweet, kind, innocent, yet can be tough as nails and a formidable fighter when she has to be. She's polite, mild-mannered and humble, yet always willing to help out. She sees the best in everyone and supports them however she can. She is wise and mature for her age, seeing through Amy's surface level obsession and understanding her genuine love for Sonic, and even explaining it to Emerl in a way that the robot, someone who finds the very concept alien, could understand. She's friendly, yet not overbearing, being able to bring someone like pre-Rush Blaze out of her shell and teach her how to be friendly and more open with others. She doesn't like to fight or hurt people, even being willing to take hits without fighting back. But she knows her ideals can't always be maintained and she can put them aside for the sake of her friends and loved ones, as seen in Sonic Battle. Heck, in Sonic X, she even beats down Emerl herself, putting aside her feelings for the greater good. She takes some pages from Tikal's character and writes them into a new book, one that I would like to read more in the games.

She's a bundle of untapped potential that SEGA just doesn't give a chance to shine, having only one real major main game role in Heroes before being tossed aside for the most part. Not just from a character perspective, but even from a gameplay perspective she has a lot of potential. Being a flyer like Tails, but also fighting alongside Cheese makes her a unique and versatile (if overpowered) fighter. I wish she was given some real spotlight and love in the series proper, so we could see what the Rabbit could really do.

...admittedly, I may be embellishing a bit. But still, we never really see too much of her in the games proper, so maybe she could match up with my interpretation of her character if we ever got a chance to see her in action again.

• Thumbs Up 7

Honey the Cat | Sonic News Network | Fandom

Honey the Cat is the best girl.

...because she's Honey from Fighting Vipers, who is the best girl. There is a surprising amount of extra detail behind Honey from Fighting Vipers which I in-turn apply to Sonic Honey because, she's literally just Honey from Fighting Vipers. For instance, did you know that Honey's nearly blind? She wears contacts in battle, but out of battle has a markedly different look. Small stuff, but I love those extra little details and Honey looks very cute with glasses

She's also extremely entertaining in the Archie Comics Fighters arc. It's such a brilliant characterisation that, while not based on any of FV's own depictions, manages to suit her really well.

That and... she's just cute, y'know? Look I dropped too much money on a statue of FV Honey, and that is when you know you've got a solid character design. To that end I am slightly miffed whenever I see Honey 'redesigns' that completely miss the point of her origin. I get wanting her to stand on her own rather than just being a parody, but... Archie did that without losing the Vipers nods! In fact they added more Sonic-ified Vipers characters, which I love!

...so uh, tl;dr I really, really like Fighting Vipers

• Thumbs Up 5

image.png.9abb1dcf7bb238f8e81456a57f73d64f.png

Sticks. No contest.

Basically the best girl that isn't in the canon yet.

Honorable Mentions: Tikal, Amy, Cream, Tekno, Blaze.

Even with her infamous use and character exaggeration, I can't ignore Amy. I always like those characters that don't get fully realised from the beginning and have to slowly work themselves into a presence. Amy was never the big hyped up new character, she was a side addition for most of the classic era, with aspects of her slowly defined as they went along, her gameplay niche, her temper, her spunk and ability to lead her own ragtag band.

Also I think she's one of the characters that has most impressed me with what they offered gameplay wise. I find it a real shame they didn't do more with her Sonic Advance gameplay which was a cool variation on the classic mechanics.

• Thumbs Up 5

It's Blaze, obviously. Strong, cute, secretly an emotional disaster, little fangs, she's got it all.

5zMHWcE.jpg

• Thumbs Up 5
  • Fist Bump 1

I think it's easier to spot who ISN'T a great girl in the franchise. But in overall:

Blaze is the most serious and mature girl;
Amy is that foolish who loves Sonic no matter what happens
Cream is the sweet cute girl, but can't be so much independent.
Tikal has a very interesting backstory, but is never remembered anymore
Rouge works as a good anti-hero villain, but can't add words on her as I never finished Adventure 2 or Heroes where most of her story is.
Sticks also have an interesting personality, but I know even less about her. She easily could be what Marine was, no really need to her to exist.
About Sally, once again, I know nothing about her (I don't think much of her content ever arrived in my country). Still, I think Amy makes a better couple to Sonic than she did on the Sonic Universe 30 years in future (If it's even cannon).

Honestly, this is the first time I hear about Tekno in my life. Can't add much about Honey. I guess my favorites are in the order I mentioned, so +1 for Blaze.

It's easy to forget about Tekno, since she came from a British comic series only diehard fans know of.

Sticks, she has alot more than what you stated above. It's in your own interest if you like to spend some time watching the Sonic Boom cartoon. Marine and her are very similar in appearance in stark contrast to their personalities, upbringings, abilities. etc.

• Thumbs Up 1

for me it's a tie between Cream and Blaze. I tend to prefer Cream for the reason that she's usually underrated, but they both are great.

Both have original designs that aren't based on any other character, and both designs are nice looking (even though Cream usually looks better in 2D arts and a bit weird in 3D).

I think that both are enjoyable personality-wise; in case of Blaze I like that she's a strong character that can rival the protagonists, and the fact that she's serious; I like her story arc in Rush where she started as cold and arrogant, and then during the adventure she changed and accepted Sonic & co as friends. In case of Cream, I like that she's supposed to be too young/weak to go adventure with Sonic, but she still goes regardless, in order to help her friends (or sometimes her mother). She's brave and can achieve big things with determination and dedication, regardless of her limited fighting skills. Also, I like chao, and Cheese is a chao.

Gameplay-wise, I like the idea of implementing a chao, but I think that the way it was done in the past is not the best way... there's a lot of potential for creative ideas involving chao in gameplay; I also like being able to cancel the flight and drop on enemies in Sonic Advance 2, and the "Bunny Boost" from Speed Battle (I hate that game but that boost is fun)... the idea of a rabbit character bunny-hopping around to gain more speed is very fun and fitting with the species of the character, I would like if that was implemented in the regular platformers as well. Blaze's gameplay is just boost gameplay so that may be another reason for why I slighty prefer Cream over Blaze; they're still close though.

I also think that there's some potential in Tangle as well, but I want to see her introduced in an actual game before judging.

• Thumbs Up 2

Definitely giving this one to Blaze. Had a good intro and story and good character building and growth with Sonic and Cream as well as enjoyable and realistic chemistry with both. Makes for funny hjinks with Marine, even if your mileage may vary on her as a character. Her powers and how she comes to terms with them and how she should handle both them and her duties in life are great. She's easy to respect and admire without any of her strengths feeling forced. Watching her and Sonic work together is always a blst since it's like seeing two people dancing who's moves are drastically different from oen another yet somehow compliment each other and match the other's rhythm perfectly without a single word uttered. It's fun to watch her get mad and be ready to burn foes to a crisp before she tries to regain her composure or someone calms her down. She's still the only canon female character with their own "Super form" equivalent and it's even her own kind fo form with her own emeralds. She's always a blast to play as in every game she's in. All of her music themes are fantastic. She's an adorable purple cat with cute fangs.

Yeah, Blaze. Going with Blaze. There are many other favorites I have, but the best girl is Blaze.

• Thumbs Up 2

I like almost all of them. I'm happy that Sonic as a franchise has such a diverse lineup of personalities in terms of female characters and that they can all kick ass for the most part too. It's frequent in this genre to go with "girl version of the MC" or "Damsel in distress" but this franchise never settled for anything that boring. They're all designed to be pretty good foils to a lot of different members of the cast or are just interesting in their own right. You've got some that are able to stand up to their male counterparts in terms of strength like Rouge and Blaze and others that are perfectly content with being more underpowered and relatable like Amy and Marine. 

I genuinely relate a lot to Blaze's struggle to keep a lid on her emotions and learn to socialize better with others in particular. I don't think all of her appearances in the games have been particularly great but a writer who really gets her can do some really great things. She was straight up my favorite character for a long time before I caught Shadow fever.

I only wish there were more of them in the main games and that they experimented more in terms of design, but the expanded universe Sonic content usually picks up the slack on that. Tangle and Whisper fill out some holes in the cast well and before that Archie literally had dozens of female characters that I liked. That includes Sally, who is getting a tough rep in recent times but is straight up Sonic 's best foil IMO especially in later iterations of the comic. She adds a lot to Sonic's character just by being there for him to bounce off of and was plenty endearing in her own right. 

Cream is one character that took me a while to come around on but the IDW series in particiular is doing her well. Most of the moments that really stuck out to me in the last arc came from having her relationships tested and seeing how far she was willing to go for the rest of the group despite her position. 

Tikal is probably the one that left the biggest impression on me but her role in Sonic Adventure is pretty limited. I just like a lot of the ideas that went into her, from her design that's stylish while also being a cool period piece to the fact that she's a pacifist that is decidedly not a pushover. Being able to make friends with anyone, including an eldritch water god, is a nice trait too. It makes me wish she was around more. Sometimes I think the series could really use a character who could see through pointless conflict and sour attitudes to provide a more delicate touch. 

• Thumbs Up 6
  • Fist Bump 1

Objectively, Blaze-- it-it's gonna be Blaze; personally, my answer would probably be Cream. 

That's likely bias/laziness as I actually don't have much against the majority of the female characters, but I just had more of a custom for her despite being fairly underdeveloped.

I will say that if I were to pick anyone else, it would have to be Sticks.

Tiny fangs the cat. 

She's got a great character arc and fantastic synergy with almost everyone in the main cast. She's sharp and savvy while at the same time has her own flaws that get her into trouble. She's stoic and fierce, while inwardly more emotional and fragile than many of the other members of the cast. She believably inhabits both ends of most spectrum's, which makes her widely relatable and easy to follow. There really isn't too much about her not to like. She's just well put together. 

and then there are those tiny fangs. Get me every time. 

22 hours ago, Strong Guy said:

Most would probably say Blaze by a landslide.

And all was right with the world 😜

• Thumbs Up 1

You know what, screw all of this. Rouge, free. 

She's confident, and has the skill to back up said confidence but still possesses sharp wit about her. She's not above teasing people for her own amusement, but is also emotionally intelligent enough to know when to back off or genuinely support someone in their time of need. Perfect big sister material right there to the younger and more brash characters. 

She'll probably never be a major player, and mostly relegated to secondary roles, but I do think the series undersells how entertaining she can be a whole lot, with only the comics really bringing out the better (and worse) parts of her. My only real wish is that she can bounce of other characters besides Shadow for a change. 

• Thumbs Up 3

I've gotta give it to AoStH's Katella:

DmYvdbm.png

- She's an intergalactic bounty-hunter. There's a ton of cool potential there and I feel like she'd be an absolute boon to the games.

- She's greedy, brash, and strong. She travels around the galaxy for riches, bashing through any enemies or obstacles with her sheer brute strength. She's basically Wario as an attractive woman.

- Has come the closest of any Sonic character to marrying Robotnik.

• Chuckle 1

Amy Rose is the best girl cute, sassy, and not afraid to announce to the world that she has a crush on somebody willing to protect Sonic above all else. 

sonic_channel_2018_amy_rose_2006_style_by_sonicgurl98_dcq1avg-fullview.png

• Thumbs Up 1

I actually give to both Blaze and Tikal.  Blaze, I've loved her character since she arrived in Sonic Rush and was excited she got a big role in Sonic The Hedgehog 2006.  Kinda sad she didn't get to be in the final battle in 06 but she got two games for herself in the Rush series and Black Knight.  We need a good 3D game with her starring alongside Sonic...she has soo much story potential.

My other pick Tikal I chose due to her selfless nature and her theme is among the best in the series.    She takes responsibility for her actions and those of her people trying to help Sonic quell Chaos in any way she can.  She has not been used since Adventure, making her a much beloved character which is why I think Shadow never should've come back...he was great in Adventure 2 but beyond those games, he's become a joke.

In hindsight Tikal might have exceptional status since due to contributing from the distant past, if not for her actions, THE ENTIRE SONIC UNIVERSE WOULD NOT EXIST.

The only character who might be more deeply intrinsic in how the status quo turned out is Knuckles if you follow that weird 'Master Emerald exists in all time frames' thing from Rivals.