Awoo.

my BEST, IDEA EVER!! (is now cancelled, don't read it...I said don't read it, stop commenting on it!)

iambitter21

now, this is gonna sound like a load of bull crap, but please, just hear me out and give me a moment of your time. I've been thinking about the post I made in the 30th predictions topic, and the crap reputation that Sega is giving off, and with my thinking, I believe that I came up with an idea on how to help SEGA!

Let's encourage Sega & Sonic Team to hire new members!

this is gonna sound naïve and blindly positive to a certain amount of people but again, hear me out PLEASE: remember when Sega made a deal with At Games again and everyone got pissed off, and when Sam from Sam Procrastinates (I can tell you're already tired of hearing his name, but bare with me) made an entire rant about the crap Sega is doing AGAIN? they actually listened to him and voices like him and fired At Games, and now the genesis mini is one of the best console compilations Sega EVER made in HISTORY. The next one is gonna be really shallow but again, bare with me. remember when Sonic team made super sonic cost money, and that same YouTuber made rant about THAT? they actually listened and made super sonic free (not that most people would care because everyone here freaking hated forces, but it was something). so, what if we did the same thing... but with a new protest slogan: "hire experienced sonic members"

it all makes sense, it's all so clear. if Sega and Sonic team can listen to our cries about those things, than there is absolutely NO doubt that this cry, let's do more than just sit around and express your frustration about them, let's actually make a change and spread the word about this. I'm not just talking about on YouTube, Sonic Stadium or the Sonic the Hedgehog livestreams, I'm talking EVERYWHERE: Twitter, Change.org, the Sega 60th anniversary website, IGN, any site that has a big enough voice to Sega & Sonic team, or maybe even big VOICES, and I'm talking HUGE ones, ones that SEGA know FULLY about: Sam Procrastinates, Twip, PremyDaremy, Roger Van Der Weide, Sonic Team Junior, Mike Pollock, Ian Flynn, BC Media, Tails Channel, RadicalSoda, GamerGuyd, LS Mark, Ryan Drummond, Hero, Snap Cube, Arron Webber, Emi Jones, Jun Senoue, Crush 40, heck, why not Ken Penders, Chris Chan, Arron Hansen and TrueLoveHeart94 for Christ sake, anyone that Sega and Sonic team are aware about, good or bad, to do this stuff. Sega and Sonic team are more than capable of seeing an outcry THIS big, and it shows. the sonic fanbase is Sega's biggest voice out of everything, and it needs to be more clearer. now who's with me!?

• My Emmerdoods 1

I really hate to shoot down your excitement, but you have NO idea how difficult it would be just to do the bare minimum of achieving this.

Not just with the technical skills needed to accomplish this, but the sheer matter of organizing this alone is a daunting task in itself. And that’s without getting into how much more difficult things would be once you actually get your foot in the door of things. Add on top of that how diverse and fractured this fandom is on its desires and likings, along with the general lack in desire of them getting along for one reason or another, and you’re unintentionally setting things up for a crash.

It’s disappointing how things are, but this is way beyond the scope of what you think can be done. Even if we could pull off a fraction of it, it would wind up in turmoil the moment people’s interest start splitting off.

Not to mention Sega is notoriously bad at fully understanding our critiques and is a bit hard to work with as is.

3 hours ago, iambitter21 said:

"hire experienced sonic members"

Sam Procrastinates, Twip, PremyDaremy, Roger Van Der Weide, Sonic Team Junior, Mike Pollock, Ian Flynn, BC Media, Tails Channel, RadicalSoda, GamerGuyd, LS Mark, Ryan Drummond, Hero, Snap Cube, Arron Webber, Emi Jones, Jun Senoue, Crush 40, heck, why not Ken Penders, Chris Chan, Arron Hansen and TrueLoveHeart94 for Christ sake, anyone that Sega and Sonic team are aware about, good or bad, to do this stuff. Sega and Sonic team are more than capable of seeing an outcry THIS big, and it shows. the sonic fanbase is Sega's biggest voice out of everything, and it needs to be more clearer. now who's with me!?

I have absolutely nothing against any of those people you have listed in fact I've worked with a number of them on some projects in the past and will likely in the future.

But...

Absolutely not.

Let's just start with your AT Games example... EVERYONE even Sega knew AT Games were bad at making micro consoles. I am under no doubt that the reason they were kept on board is that it was a decision made higher up since they had contracted out the deal to AT Games in the past and believed it was worth keeping them on. It was only due to the fact it was an anniversary year and so many people kicked up that I think they looked into it.

I would also not be surprised if Sega's internal teams who ended up developing the system had also created a prototype and pitch alongside the AT Games pitch. Just like how the Game Gear Micro would have been pitched and even that mini Arcade cabinet, it would all have been pitched and prototyped well before announcement with multiple pitches and prototypes.

This was NOT the case of one person going "Hey we'll do it like this!"

The Super Sonic example... Who DIDN'T give them stick for that? I wouldn't be at all surprised if that decision was reversed due to Forces' negative reception and them doing it as a way to try and sweeten the sale of the game, much like how episode Shadow was also a free incentive.

Now let's talk about your idea as a concept... A few questions...

Exactly... What would those people do?

What role do you vision them to be doing?

Do they have even the slightest experience in developing games?

Do they have the experience in handing large projects with a huge budget and hundreds of people?

Do they even want to do that?

Would hiring them do more harm to the company than good? 

And most of all...

What EXACTLY would those people do? This is the key question your proposal is missing here, in all honesty out of all of them, maybe 1 or 2 would be a fit in as a social media intern, and unless you have even the slightest idea how many restrictions even the social media manager is under then coming back and believing this is free reign to do whatever is completely wrong.

But my biggest question... My absolute biggest question of all...

and the crap reputation that Sega is giving off

What the has Sega done to justify this? 

Sega's 2020 so far.

Vanquish & Bayonetta re-released as a budget double pack.

Yakuza Remastered Physical Edition released.

Catherine Full Body released.

Two Point Hospital Console edition released.

Two Point Hospital PC DLC Expansion pack released.

Yakuza 7 confirmed for current and next gen systems, also includes English VA support for the first time in years.

Game Gear Micro Announced.

Sonic at the Olympic Games released.

Sega Astro City (That mini Sega Arcade announced).

Space Channel VR

Total War Troy Saga (Releases next week).

Re-started the Sonic Livestreams.

Continued the Japanese Sonic Livestreams.

+ all the merch that they're commissioned and released so far

....And all of this was done when Europe, Asia and the Americas were under lock-down due to the Coronavirus Pandemic!

The one thing... The one thing they've not done... Is announce the next big Sonic game.

They have however confirmed that they're working on it, and that they're not releasing them as quickly as they used to and have extended the development cycle for Sonic games for future releases.

So remind me again, what exactly is this crap that Sega is giving off other than not announcing a new big Sonic game?

• Thumbs Up 3

No.

I had more to say, but I'm worried I'd have the mods messaging me, even with as toned down as it was, so I'm just saying no.

Even ignoring every single good point made above, Sonic games have  history of listening to fans and still displeasing them.

It's like making wishing to a genie, but by game of "Chinese Whispers". And half of participants don't speak english.

Atgames put out their mini consoles at least as far back as 2014 up to 2018 with the same complaints through each revision. Complaining did nothing to change things but whay may have inspired the better in house solution is a combination of the existing contract reaching its natural end and the 2016 NES + 2017 SNES mini raising the standards for mini consoles.

7 hours ago, iambitter21 said:

why not Ken Penders

Aside from that bridge being well and truly burned he only cares about his own creations.

• Thumbs Up 1

8 hours ago, iambitter21 said:

Sam Procrastinates, Twip, PremyDaremy, Roger Van Der Weide, Sonic Team Junior, Mike Pollock, Ian Flynn, BC Media, Tails Channel, RadicalSoda, GamerGuyd, LS Mark, Ryan Drummond, Hero, Snap Cube, Arron Webber, Emi Jones, Jun Senoue, Crush 40, heck, why not Ken Penders, Chris Chan, Arron Hansen and TrueLoveHeart94 for Christ sake, anyone that Sega and Sonic team are aware about, good or bad, to do this stuff. Sega and Sonic team are more than capable of seeing an outcry THIS big, and it shows. the sonic fanbase is Sega's biggest voice out of everything, and it needs to be more clearer. now who's with me!?

I'm keen to point out you missed The trio that is Gotta Go Fast, Tails and Sonic Pals and emeraldmasters.

Going back to what Dave said, what would all of these fans do in the scenario of Sega actually hiring them? What qualities will they most likely show off in conjunction to this? This doesn't even factor in their qualifications from educational establishments since getting a job requires at least one or two nowadays, correct me if I'm wrong, but was it always like that with game studios? The biggest problem is trying to convince Aron Hansen of GameGrumps and ESPECIALLY Ken Penders, who all we know doesn't even want anything to do with Sonic anymore. This is the mind of an ambitious young kid, but sometimes going way too ambitious is stretching the bar and hindering what makes the fans weep for the most part.

okay, okay! I think we all get the picture. I agree with a few of you guys that I got very carried away back there. it was a very fresh idea, and the problems with fresh ideas are that the fresher they are the less fleshed out they are.

let's ease down on the protest we don't need to go THAT extreme, but the least we could do is give them suggestions like that, probably quick messages to Sega on why you think giving sonic team more experienced members is the better idea moving forward? the could be on big sites, sure, but ease down on the whole shouting thing, be more informative, be more mature, and see if they hear you, they'll probably think it out... maybe i don't know, something that isn't too extreme.

1 hour ago, iambitter21 said:

but the least we could do is give them suggestions like that,

There is no such job as an 'idea's man' anywhere in the game industry.

• Thumbs Up 2

Also I think the obsession people have with "It has to be done by fans" is extremely misplaced. 

Like yes you can get good material from lifelong fans like Dave Filoni's Star Wars TV series but fans also have their own biases and a lot of them have a bad habit of packing way too much past material that can scare away new audiences. 

Plus a lot of the time really well made installments of a franchise can come from people who have no attachment to it. Beast Wars was developed by 2 people who never watched the G1 Transformers cartoon and I'd widely regarded as one of the best series in the franchise. Power Rangers RPM was developed by someone who never really cared about Power Rangers honestly I could even throw in Bruce Kalish who wasn't a fan but produced 3 really good seasons. 

Being a fan or not doesn't equate to the quality of a product. 

• Thumbs Up 3

Why isn't every major entertainment product produced by semi-celebrity fans of the product? Because, no offense, that's one of the worst, most ignorant, and misguided business choices you could ever make. How many people on that list have professional positions as scriptwriters, coders, marketers, producers, etc. and are prepared to cooperate in the rigorous process of making a legitimate video game? A fraction are voice actors, another are writers for comics, and another are guys making extremely casual reviews behind their computer monitor.

There's a good reason these guys aren't the voices behind the choices made for the games, and it's they aren't qualified for those positions. That's why they do what they do, and aren't game developers. Exceptions like Christian Whitehead are EXTREMELY rare and usually don't come along at all. Positions in the professional video game industry are an entire world away from starry-eyed geeks making elaborate fanworks which they have no restrictions and compromises to deal with.

Also I couldn't help but laugh seeing Ken Penders being mentioned, who has the all the talent of a bowling shoe in the process of falling apart. And I have no words for Chris Chan. 

• Thumbs Up 6