Awoo.

The era of Cream

batson

I think it's not just a matter of popularity... there must be something else. Zavok and the Deadly 6 were kinda unpopular and people hated them a lot, someone still hates them, but Sega keeps shoehorning Zavok in everything regardless, and many people are starting to like or just accept them as time goes.

Probably the character does not fit the mood of the series anymore or they just have absolutely no idea of how to use her in stories.

Regardless, I miss the Advance games where she was just another playable character without need of a deep personality/backstory/lore. Something like Mighty and Ray in Mania, who cares about the characters, they are fun to play as. I think that when they tried to expand the personality of the character they actually ruined her, and this happend as soon as in Sonic Battle, pacifism and all.

Sometimes I wish the character was completely rewritten from scratch because I don't like how she is portraied in most of the more recent stuff...  IDW was the closest thing to an attempt at improving the character, but still, there are many problems with her, such as in the Chao Race issue where she was supposed to have a bigger role, but so far she's only passively used as an exploit to let Rouge do the stuff instead... Cheese plays a bigger role than her, she's just there existing as an excuse for Cheese to be around because he's needed for the plot (this may change in the second part but at this point I doubt).

But at the end, I don't really care much about personality and story, I just miss being able to play as a "chao trainer" in my Sonic games, and the potential of chao garden elements being implemented in Sonic's main gameplay.

Regarding this, around the time when I wrote my previous post in this thread (around mid August), I started to put my concept of Cream (2D) gameplay on (virtual) paper: I'm doing a scheme with drawings and descriptions, but due to a couple of reasons (it's coming out WAY more complex than I expected, I have little free time and when I have it I'm lazy as hell), I still didn't finish it. I'm doing it mostly because I want to illustrate my idea of Cheese being able to copy some traits from the animals released by the destroyed badniks for temporary passive buffs (chao garden elements in main gameplay).

believeit or not, this is the first (or maybe the second at best, I can't remember) time in my life that I draw her, and I'm surprised at how she's harder to draw than it looks... it's very easy to mess up the proportions of a detail and then everything looks bad (plus my pen tablet sucks and my PC lags when I draw so everything is harder to do).

• Fist Bump 1

I recollect Cream being a pacifist. How did that work in a very action oriented world?

1 hour ago, Titan Mecha Sonic said:

I recollect Cream being a pacifist. How did that work in a very action oriented world?

Simple--it didn't need to, as Sonic is a high speed platformer with mild to negligible action elements outside of boss fights.

The notion of Cream being a full on pacifist is something that, while not off task, has always seemed overblown since I learned of it. Her not being prone to violence is because she's a six year old little girl who's mannerly and enjoys meeting new friends. Of course she isn't gonna go around socking mooks in the face to get her jollies, as can also be seen in characters like Tails, Amy, and Big. Hell, the manual for Heroes(aka the game she was made for) explicitly describes her as taking care to do a curtsy before attacking Eggman "with extreme prejudice."

And it seems to come almost exclusively from Battle, as far as I can tell. Which is a little odd considering, from what I remember from the stream and cutscene videos on Youtube, she didn't refuse to fight for a while because of some sacred vow or anything; I don't remember exactly what made her do that, admittedly, but that didn't seem to be an issue. In fact, I wanna say she was introduced in that game having a sparring session with Amy in the boxing ring and she only called it quits because Amy was wearing herself out.

• Thumbs Up 2

18 minutes ago, DabigRG said:

Simple--it didn't need to, as Sonic is a high speed platformer with mild to negligible action elements outside of boss fights.

The notion of Cream being a full on pacifist is something that, while not off task, has always seemed overblown since I learned of it. Her not being prone to violence is because she's a six year old little girl who's mannerly and enjoys meeting new friends. Of course she isn't gonna go around socking mooks in the face to get her jollies, as can also be seen in characters like Tails, Amy, and Big. Hell, the manual for Heroes(aka the game she was made for) explicitly describes her as taking care to do a curtsy before attacking Eggman "with extreme prejudice."

And it seems to come almost exclusively from Battle, as far as I can tell. Which is a little odd considering, from what I remember from the stream and cutscene videos on Youtube, she didn't refuse to fight for a while because of some sacred vow or anything; I don't remember exactly what made her do that, admittedly, but that didn't seem to be an issue. In fact, I wanna say she was introduced in that game having a sparring session with Amy in the boxing ring and she only called it quits because Amy was wearing herself out.

Intriguing. A curtsy before battlng Eggman, I need to see this. :D 

10 minutes ago, Titan Mecha Sonic said:

Intriguing. A curtsy before battlng Eggman, I need to see this. :D 

Honestly, that sounds like something from a fighting game special move. Think Hercule's Dynamite Kick or Zangya's throw from Budokai Tenkaiichi.

But yeah, it'd be a pretty fun little flourish.

• Thumbs Up 1

3 hours ago, Iko said:

Sometimes I wish the character was completely rewritten from scratch because I don't like how she is portraied in most of the more recent stuff...  IDW was the closest thing to an attempt at improving the character, but still, there are many problems with her, such as in the Chao Race issue where she was supposed to have a bigger role, but so far she's only passively used as an exploit to let Rouge do the stuff instead... Cheese plays a bigger role than her, she's just there existing as an excuse for Cheese to be around because he's needed for the plot (this may change in the second part but at this point I doubt).

Funny you mention that, because I got the same feeling. Chao Racing came off like the ultimate story for Cream. But so far, it's primarily Rouge's story with Cream only being involved because she happens to have a Chao. I'm optimistic that Cream's role will actually be substantial in the future issues, since Evan stated that the story was made to keep up the momentum that the Metal Virus Saga started for Cream. But I can't deny my worry that Cream will end up being more of an afterthought for this story, since that's how it's been with her this past year, if not since her debut. And I'm wishing she would be completely rewritten too, just so this nonsense holding Cream back can end. Like, no more freaking pacifism if that's what's keeping her from being in adventures

• Fist Bump 1

And furthermore, that is not the actual Shadow but a clone of his who, due to being almost literally just born, has the innocence and naivety of a child. It's for that reason Cream calls him "Shades" (a name Sonic mockingly suggested but ultimately accepted by the group) and he excitedly plays with Cream lol

• Thumbs Up 1

1 hour ago, Titan Mecha Sonic said:

I found this from the Sonic Comics. Did Cream put Shadow under a spell? :D 

92EC4926-5B9F-421D-B24B-F64D3C161E12.png

Sheesh, that one post about how odd Mr. Yardley!'s artwork can be in places is still a little fresh in my mind. It helps that he's pretty in step with how some of X's better work operated.

Also, wtf :joy: 

1 hour ago, Kaotic Kanine said:

And furthermore, that is not the actual Shadow but a clone of his who, due to being almost literally just born, has the innocence and naivety of a child. It's for that reason Cream calls him "Shades" (a name Sonic mockingly suggested but ultimately accepted by the group) and he excitedly plays with Cream lol

Oh, okay, I was wondering. Shadow being giddy looks so weird, even when he's the most on model on page.

• Thumbs Up 2

Shades sure wants to play with dolls or frolick in flowers. The real Shadow is like: 

817144F0-23FA-4D34-941F-383772A534DD.thumb.jpeg.52afbfde55f06fc3aaa76dca14c53d64.jpeg

• Chuckle 2

That comic takes place after the real Shadow had already sacrificed himself, but before he came back in Season 3. 

28 minutes ago, Kuzu said:

That comic takes place after the real Shadow had already sacrificed himself, but before he came back in Season 3. 

Little did we know the Tinker Plot features one of two faker Shadows.

3 hours ago, Titan Mecha Sonic said:

Shades sure wants to play with dolls or frolick in flowers. The real Shadow is like: 

817144F0-23FA-4D34-941F-383772A534DD.thumb.jpeg.52afbfde55f06fc3aaa76dca14c53d64.jpeg

What a combo.

The thing is this isn't too far off, nowadays.

Also, Rouge looks like she's channeling Tom[and Jerry.]

• Thumbs Up 1

2 hours ago, Kuzu said:

Is the sacrifice you are speaking of SA2 when he falls to earth after The FinalHazard? 

2 minutes ago, Titan Mecha Sonic said:

Is the sacrifice you are speaking of SA2 when he falls to earth after The FinalHazard? 

That is the very one, except with a beaten Chris inheriting his inhibitor ring.

• Thumbs Up 1

It is interesting Cream was introduced,  she being a rabbit like Bunny Rabbot. This to me reinforces there was a divide of sorts between the Games and Archie Comics. The games bled into the comics, with issues that feat game titles like “Sonic & Knuckles, Triple Trouble,  and Sonic Adventure,” but there was rarely any Freedom Fighters crossing over into the games. Sally has only made a minor cameo in Sonic Spinball. Unless I’ve missed something post 06.