Awoo.

Rally 4 Sally

Waluigi Smash

Eeeeeh I doubt it will work, but you know what? What the heck, everyone who likes Sally should support it.

This movement has purely positive energy to it. It's not "boo, ban this" or "fire that writer". It doesn't even have bitter rivarly with anyone (like in Smash) since pretty much everyone already is in IOS games. maybe Sticks It's fairly unlikely things get toxic.

And unlike say "Sally for IDW", adding Sally can't be detrimental for other characters, if anythings might get more people interested n Sonic games. So it's hard to find drawback

• Thumbs Up 1

Sally appearing in the mobile games would be appreciated, but I don't really see it happening. To be honest, unless it's in the context of Archie Sonic comics returning (which I know won't happen), I don't care that badly about the Freedom Fighters appearing again, because it likely wouldn't be in a form that I'd like or care about that much. Still, it would be very nice for Sally or other Western media exclusive characters to be acknowledged, don't get me wrong.

I wouldn't be too against Dash since obviously it isn't really story or personality influenced. It'd be hard to contradict their appeal with such a simplistic use.

I get the feeling I'd still be super finicky about how they'd design any of the American media characters however. Tangle and Whisper already had SEGA-ish designs from the beginning that were translated pretty much perfectly. I thought nearly every FF redesign after the finalised SatAm ones was kinda generic, especially the reboot ones.

s_c__redesigned_sally_wallpaper_by_e_122

If they DO use Sally and must use the reboot Sally, at least restore the Bambi-eyes. They're just a trademark to Sally to me.

20 minutes ago, Kuzu said:

I doubt this will actually accomplish anything, but go for it I suppose.

Same opinion. As long as they keep it civil and positive, go for it. 

I saw Ian mentioning the hashtag and supporting it, so I guess there's that.

I certainly would love to see her make a comeback, so why not?

As doubtful as it may be, I’ve been surprised before.

Honestly, I think it'd be fun if they did add Sally, but - since she's the video game version of Sally and not SatAM or Archie - her only history with Sonic was briefly being rescued by him in Eggman's Veg-O-Fortress:

328504-spinballsally.png

Of course, she'd be pink as well, since that's the coloration she had in her original game appearance.

She's probably not a princess in this universe. Probably not even someone who has a particularly close connection to Sonic. Just a bystander who got wrapped up in one of Eggman's zany schemes one time, who's back after years of absence. 

I don't mean to sound rude, but could we just be done with the freedom fighters? Thanks to the comic they got a much longer stint of relevancy than any generic 90's Don Bluth wannabe cast filler furries could ask for. I think it's more than appropriate a time to just retire them, I don't see how they fit in the Sonic games or what they would even add by this point.

1 hour ago, Natie said:

I don't mean to sound rude, but could we just be done with the freedom fighters? Thanks to the comic they got a much longer stint of relevancy than any generic 90's Don Bluth wannabe cast filler furries could ask for. I think it's more than appropriate a time to just retire them, I don't see how they fit in the Sonic games or what they would even add by this point.

You're doing a very poor job at showing it.

I suppose this type of response was coming sooner or later, but I'm trying to figure out why there are so many fans seem to have a personal vendetta against the Freedom Fighters.

I'm not even trying to attack you, I'm genuinely curious because I've seen it for so many years.

• Thumbs Up 3

10 minutes ago, Kuzu said:

You're doing a very poor job at showing it.

I suppose this type of response was coming sooner or later, but I'm trying to figure out why there are so many fans seem to have a personal vendetta against the Freedom Fighters.

I'm not even trying to attack you, I'm genuinely curious because I've seen it for so many years.

Probably because they go against everything they know about the Sonic franchise. The common reasons is “They never grown up with them” or “because they’re not game characters”. Seriously, I always wondered how they’ll react if Sally and the FF ever appeared in a legit Sonic Team game. Yes, not that it’ll ever happen, but just curious.

4 hours ago, KoDaiko said:

I saw Ian mentioning the hashtag and supporting it, so I guess there's that.

Wow that might be weird cuz the guy who made this hates Flynn.

I keep getting people begging me to promote this.

I keep ignoring the requests.

Basically, aside from a few pieces of drama that I've seen from some people involved with this which I don't want to touch at all... I just don't care about this campaign.

The main core fanbase for Archie comics is a subset of American Sonic fans, Comic Sally is a subset of that, outside of the US I don't think it's a stretch to say that most fans of Sally are the result of the TV Show SatAM and now Archie comic Sally, to a lesser extreme those who are curious about Sega World Sydney.

It'd be like Fleetway fans trying to get Shrotfuse or the evil Super Sonic into a mobile game, great for fans of Fleetway in Europe and the 1 or two who live outside the EU, for everyone else it'll be a case of *Shrugs* "Ok" or *Shrugs* "Why?"

This whole thing kicked off due to Tangle and Whisper getting more attention but... Yeah I don't blame them for including them, it was a great move, aside from the fact IDW is much easier to get worldwide, they've proven to be really popular characters, I don't even read IDW comics but I know roughly what Tangle and Whisper look and act like... Yet if someone asked me to name those new IDW Sonic villains it'd take me a few seconds just to think of their name, as for characterisation... Ain't got a clue, they're just that forgettable.

So my thoughts is, aside from adding Sally to make a few genuine fans go "OMG NO WAY!" and a large bulk of people going "OMG NO WAY" to get easy supporting points. I honestly think that for the bulk of people who play the game there's probably going to be more question marks over who that character is vs the IDW main stars.

And this isn't an attack on Archie or whatever characters are going to be the next campaign, if it were Fleetway comics for as much as I love those, outside of me going "OMG NO WAY!" I'd probably then think 'wait... other than me and the UK fans... who else is gonna get the hype for this?'

Edit: Talking about 'The Appeal' of this. You can actually see this in real time right now if you look. Tweet search #RallyForSally or "Rally4Sally" or any of the other 'official' hashtags from the main campaign account. 

You'll see that for the last week the vast majority of posts about this come from the same 3 or 4 accounts, and the main campaign for this is also pulling quite low numbers =/ 

Even this topic had to rely on a misleading OP and a very misleading claim a few posts in, it doesn't inspire a lot of confidence if that's what it's currently doing.

• Thumbs Up 5

1 hour ago, Natie said:

Well, you're in luck because there's an extremely high chance they're already retired and always will be. Also, even if they wouldn't fit in main Sonic games, I don't see why that means they can't just be bonus characters in a mobile game.

2 hours ago, Dr. Mechano said:

Honestly, I think it'd be fun if they did add Sally, but - since she's the video game version of Sally and not SatAM or Archie - her only history with Sonic was briefly being rescued by him in Eggman's Veg-O-Fortress:

328504-spinballsally.png

Of course, she'd be pink as well, since that's the coloration she had in her original game appearance.

She's probably not a princess in this universe. Probably not even someone who has a particularly close connection to Sonic. Just a bystander who got wrapped up in one of Eggman's zany schemes one time, who's back after years of absence. 

Not sure if this is a great idea or a terrible idea, or both.

15 minutes ago, Badnik Mechanic said:

Edit: Talking about 'The Appeal' of this. You can actually see this in real time right now if you look. Tweet search #RallyForSally or "Rally4Sally" or any of the other 'official' hashtags from the main campaign account. 

You'll see that for the last week the vast majority of posts about this come from the same 3 or 4 accounts, and the main campaign for this is also pulling quite low numbers =/ 

Yeah, I don't think many people care, including most Archie fans. I'm an example of that. While I mostly think it's fine, I do feel a bit uncomfortable since it was obviously brought on by the IDW characters' inclusion, so I feel like there's a twinge of bitterness. Not that I can't relate to that at all, but I don't think it's healthy, you know? Plus it's just very unlikely to happen, so no reason to get our hopes up.

3 hours ago, Natie said:

I wonder if you would say this about Classic Sonic considering he ticks many of the same boxes?

1 hour ago, antyep said:

Probably because they go against everything they know about the Sonic franchise. The common reasons is “They never grown up with them” or “because they’re not game characters”.

Which falls apart considering characters like Tangle and Whisper aren’t really game characters, nor did they grow up with them as they’re among the newest characters.

And this hypocrisy isn’t lost on anyone, including the people making it. Which begs the question of why this is an excuse against Sally and the Freedom Fighters?

Look I know people hate me playing Devil's Advocate, but we have to acknowledge both sides of the argument here.

Some people DON'T LIKE THE FREEDOM FIGHTERS and not just because of petty or superficial reasons that make them bull headed 'mean' fans who just won't give things a fair chance. A lot of ideas and concepts and archetypes are divisive in nature and conflict a fair deal with how the games franchise is often set up. This isn't just about execution or quality critique. Satam/Archie are very different beasts from the games most of the time.

The thing about the Freedom Fighters is that their appeal has come from a depiction that is not only very divergent from the games but, aside from a few narrative and writer changes, is relatively consistent. It's not like say, Knuckles, where there's a ton of interpretations to take notes from that leaves translating him versatile. There's a complex appeal that's often been set in stone for the Freedom Fighters, and that doesn't always gel with how many fans perceive the franchise, such as their darker more maturely written plotlines. Sticks, Tangle and Whisper work but largely because they remain simplistic and don't rely on a lot of the established premise and cast working a different way for their appeal to shine. They don't NEED Eggman to be a dark monstrous overlord who destroyed their lives as their backstory, they don't NEED Sonic and co to be their foils instead of independent characters. It's not like say, Bunnie, where if take out a lot of the contrasting continuity and lore, you lose a lot of what makes her character sympathetic and fleshed out.

People are already split down the middle about them trying to adapt their 'la resistance' premise into the games like Sonic Forces, making everyone a soldier with the same unified cause hasn't always been a format for Sonic stories, especially equally popular ones like the Adventure games. You also have to consider how these characters could potentially affect characters the same way as they did in their original works, which was already divisive as in those (eg. Sonic being tied down with this one same group instead of travelling the world, especially with Sally as his 'better half' and him often being cosmically punished whenever he decides to work independently from her).

The simple thing is these things were manageable in an adaptation that was MADE for them, people have the choice to just watch it, or just look at something else Sonic-related, but here we come to the big question whether to make them and concepts related to them part of THE OFFICIAL SONIC GAMES, the media that ties almost all Sonic fans together, well of course it's gonna be WAY more delicate an issue.

Now Sonic Dash I agree is the best compromise for them since like I said before, it's a very simple game that does not demand a lot of continuity or character establishment. Every character is basically a skin in a base Sonic environment, it's not gonna overwrite or mandate how the games work any time soon. But in terms of asking the question altogether 'why can't they be in the games?' you're asking about the alt media cast with arguably the LARGEST amount of baggage and complications to adapt. I don't think it's fair at all to debunk everyone whose against it as some close minded games-Nazi. They're not for everyone, and for as often as they fail, the games are meant to be the 'for everyone' take on Sonic.

9 minutes ago, E-122-Psi said:

The thing about the Freedom Fighters is that their appeal has come from a depiction that is not only very divergent from the games but, aside from a few narrative and writer changes, is relatively consistent. It's not like say, Knuckles, where there's a ton of interpretations to take notes from that leaves translating him versatile. There's a complex appeal that's often been set in stone for the Freedom Fighters, and that doesn't always gel with how many fans perceive the franchise, such as their darker more maturely written plotlines. Sticks, Tangle and Whisper work but largely because they remain simplistic and don't rely on a lot of the established premise and cast working a different way for their appeal to shine. They don't NEED Eggman to be a monstrous overlord who destroyed their lives as their backstory, they don't NEED Sonic and co to be their foils instead of independent characters.

The emotional crux of Whisper's story is that Eggman killed all of her friends for the crime of resisting his rule over the planet. 

• Chuckle 2

3 minutes ago, Wraith said:

The emotional crux of Whisper's story is that Eggman killed all of her friends for the crime of resisting his rule. 

Okay then, my point is completely debunked there (I have to read more of IDW). :P

Again, I can see why a request for Dash works fine since Dash is pretty much what Nitro Fueled is to Crash Bandicoot, just a big mish mash of everything from the franchise with no need for continuity, but when people are asking this question for the game series as a whole, it becomes more complicated.

• Chuckle 1

Whisper isn't just some socially distant girl who likes playing with aliens. There's a backstory more tragic than any of the main characters in Archie informing her characterization. Are people aware of this when they say she'd be a good fit for the games and that Sally wouldn't be? Is there anything to this beyond just making sure Archie fans know people are apathetic toward the characters? 

13 minutes ago, Wraith said:

Whisper isn't just some socially distant girl who likes playing with aliens. There's a backstory more tragic than any of the main characters in Archie informing her characterization. Are people aware of this when they say she'd be a good fit for the games and that Sally wouldn't be? Is there anything to this beyond just making sure Archie fans know people are apathetic toward the characters? 

I will admit to be hypocritical in terms of the IDW characters.

Still Whisper is only in Dash. Again I can understand the desire for non-games characters in a simple storyless spin off such as that since it's theoretically harmless outside maybe establishing a permanent design, but when people ask why they are against ones like the Freedom Fighters being FULLY ADAPTED into the series, it becomes more convoluted. And yes, I have watched Satam and read a fair amount of Archie so am not talking bullshit there. Sure Sally was in Christmas Blast with none of her lore but it wasn't exactly her shining character moment, it was a quick cameo like Dash would be. Aside from that comparison, would people find it worth doing if she were the same quality as Christmas Blast?

Sally's appeal has often been from certain parts of the franchise working a specific way that they don't always in the games canon. Eggman isn't an irredeemable overlord in the games, Sonic isn't a reckless fool that needs a 'better half', and of course if you adapted Sally, you'd likely also need NICOLE and others since so many consider them inseparable, as well as an established locale where she is Princess since that is considered key to her as well. There is a lot of different elements that go into Sally that many believe make her character appealing, and they don't always make for a simple translation to the games. Even if you could appease fans against her, I feel many FOR her would be equally hard to please, since you'd need to get so many aspects correct to make her feel fully realised. Hell many already were concerning the changes made across Archie alone and even SatAm to some degree.

Have you never picked up a Marvel or DC comic book before? Rebooting a character with a supposedly complex backstory isn't rocket science and is nothing new in fiction. This is a problem that you're inventing.