Awoo.

How strong is Amy without hammer?

MetalSkulkBane

Relatively strong, all things considered. Of course, that primarily means stronger than normal mobians/overlanders and dinkier characters like Tails, Cream, and maybe Charmy.

I wanna say she might be more physically inclined than Sonic himself, given she's more direct in attacking compared to him using his spin abilities or boost most of the time. She's very occasionally doing things without her hammer, which suggest she's capable of a respectable amount of damage, from carrying Sonic to indirectly shoving Knuckles back.

Overall, she's fairly capable, she just seldom excels in the fields of the more powerful characters by comparison.

On 9/3/2020 at 4:24 AM, Titan Mecha Sonic said:

It was set up in anticipation that Knux won’t have Julie-Su in his life, instead it eill be Amy, and she knows the secret art of Treekwando. :D 

Was Julie ever meant to be particularly strong? It just seemed like she was competently trained enough to school Classic Vector and stand a brief chance against Knuckles.

On 9/9/2020 at 5:02 PM, Titan Mecha Sonic said:

Amy hugging Shadow in SA2 and Sonic X was priceless. 

25D4C0A9-833F-48B2-B7F4-CEA87CB5C411.jpeg.e330ce623afb7948eaf7a750e67afcfb.jpeg

Woah, Shadow's kinda huge there. 

• Thumbs Up 1

9 hours ago, DabigRG said:

Was Julie ever meant to be particularly strong? It just seemed like she was competently trained enough to school Classic Vector and stand a brief chance against Knuckles.

Woah, Shadow's kinda huge there. 

Julie-Su, basically Bunnie Robot in Echidna form.

Amy likes big guys. :D 

• 3 weeks later...
On 9/2/2020 at 10:14 AM, Diogenes said:

I would say "not very". And that the hammer doesn't add a whole lot, either.

Amy was introduced as a character who was simply "normal". She wasn't playable, she had no superpowers or relevant skills, her role was simply to be captured and rescued. Even when she eventually gets her big break in SA, she starts out lamenting how mundane her life is when she's not around Sonic, and spends every level focused on running away from a robot she's not strong enough to beat. And while she does beat Zero in the end, it has more to do with her gathering up the courage to stand up to him (and some convenient environmental damage) than her becoming physically stronger than before.

So I think that's pretty much the core of Amy as a fighter. She's certainly not helpless, but she's not really meant to be a powerful fighter. She's a mostly ordinary girl in extraordinary situations. She's gained more abilities in later games, but I think that's a combination of mechanical balance (compare SA's "every character is unique" design to Heroes' explicit categories) and...honestly just sort of losing where they were going with things.

This so much. Amy is meant to be the normie of the group that steps up to the plate an does their best.

Its also why she didnt curl into a ball in her gameplay in Advance.

That said, i think you are selling her a bit short. The games and series very much seem to be inplying that she is improving as a result.

On 9/2/2020 at 7:56 PM, Scritch the Cat said:

That’s how it looked to people whose first experience with Amy was in Sonic Adventure, but her hammer originated in Sonic The Fighters, a cartoonish fighting game in a series that was inspired by classic slapstick cartoons and often bore that out.  Whether it fit with Amy’s personality is rather irrelevant as she barely had one at the time, and it fit that cartoon vibe well.

And while that didn’t imply she was physically strong, it’s no accident that he time her hammer was at its most formidable was in another fighting game.  A heavy weapon isn’t a very useful asset in games where most enemies can be defeated in one hit so getting a bit in without getting hit back was the important thing.  Meanwhile, in games where HP is a factor, heavy attacks come into their own.

Seems like you’re ignoring every appearance besides Sonic Adventure.

Her hammer absolutely makes sense for her character. Amy was originally conceived as a more tomboyish character and the addition of her hammer Fighters was a way to maintain her dainty elements while still giving her a means to scrap, showing she still has a spine even if she is less prone to conflict.

On 9/6/2020 at 3:50 AM, MetalSkulkBane said:

Hmm, recently I made topic "thin line between Sonic-world and Sonic-game". I focused on psychical objects, like rings and springs, but looking back this topic should also touch characters and how they are viewed.

1) Can Amy Spin Dash, run as fast as Sonic, let alone turn invisible?
My first instinct is to dismiss gameplay if cutscenes don't support it, but the more I think about it, it's madness. Maybe next I'll claim Knuckles can't glide? Or Espio turn invisible? Before SA1 there was no cutscnes, was whole franchises a Schrodinger cat?
I'm sorry, but no. If character can do it in the canonical game, there must be at least a small reflection in reality. So I think Amy can run somewhat fast and do Spin Dash, but she not good at it.
Invisibility is trickier, since it's supported by only one game and it's 06 by all things. I have one suggestion: Amy doesn't disappaear. She's simply starts sneaking around, very quietly. Her invisibility is just a visual flare, no different from life bar above enemies.

2) Is Amy strong enough to beat all Advance games, or lead Team Rose against Egg Emperor in Sonic Heroes?
Here I have opposite view. Take Street Fighter. If combatant can do something during fight, he can do it canonically. But just because you can play as Dan Hibiki and beat M Bison, it doesn't mean Dan is officially capable of doing so.
In games with multiple playable characters going though basically the same journey, it's save to assume only few of them actually accomplished that.

So in Advance 1,2,3 only Sonic actually beat Eggman, but rest most likely helped to some degree.

In Sonic Heroes' last story cutscene, all teams make it to the end of the game though, so at least in that one, it has to be canon.

• 2 weeks later...
On 9/2/2020 at 9:14 AM, Diogenes said:

I would say "not very". And that the hammer doesn't add a whole lot, either.

Amy was introduced as a character who was simply "normal". She wasn't playable, she had no superpowers or relevant skills, her role was simply to be captured and rescued. Even when she eventually gets her big break in SA, she starts out lamenting how mundane her life is when she's not around Sonic, and spends every level focused on running away from a robot she's not strong enough to beat. And while she does beat Zero in the end, it has more to do with her gathering up the courage to stand up to him (and some convenient environmental damage) than her becoming physically stronger than before.

So I think that's pretty much the core of Amy as a fighter. She's certainly not helpless, but she's not really meant to be a powerful fighter. She's a mostly ordinary girl in extraordinary situations. She's gained more abilities in later games, but I think that's a combination of mechanical balance (compare SA's "every character is unique" design to Heroes' explicit categories) and...honestly just sort of losing where they were going with things.

Making Amy an ordinary girl character after the popularity of Sally Acorn and Bunnie Rabbot in the West was incredibly tone-deaf and stupid on Sega's part. I admit I dislike most things ST/SoJ does but their handling of Amy's character was one of the worst outside of the botched gameplay and constant changing of what wasn't broken. I think Amy was really missed potential and a massive disappointment for most of her existence.

To answer the OP: I can imagine she's not very strong without her hammer despite logic and intuition saying she might have massive upper body strength after carrying that huge ass thing all the time.