Awoo.

Super Mario 3D All-Stars (September 18, Limited Release; Available until March 2021)

Marcello

On 9/5/2020 at 1:04 PM, Duckling said:

I feel like scalpers will buy this, wait a few months after March, then sell the game at top dollar. I thought about that myself, but I decided against it. I'm still deciding if this will be something I buy for myself or not.

Mario's a classic though so *maybe*?

Scalpers are already listing the on eBay, which is absurd because as far as we can tell the game will be getting a fairly standard release and there's no set number for how many copies will be produced. It's simply going to stop being produced after March, and will be removed from the eShop at the same time. Anyone who wants the game between now and March should have no issues securing it in the coming months. 

People are expecting shortages due to Nintendo's history with supply like with the S/NES Classics and amiibos. It wouldn't surprise me if the game is actually hard to find immediately after release, but preorders don't seem to be sold out so maybe they're better prepared this time.

Yeah. I've decided that I'm going to buy it normally when it comes out. I'm not wild about paying $60 bucks for a collection since I've never had to do that before but whatever. I'm sure I won't have a problem getting a copy the usual way I do. I sure as hell am not preordering it though so if I can't get it without doing that then oh well. I guess I'll continue to miss out.

• Thumbs Up 1

On 9/7/2020 at 3:24 PM, Ryannumber1gamer said:

GameExplain made a video about the current visible changes in the footage of the games.

The things in that video do not support the video title; and the things in the video certainly doesn't support the charge being made in the video and pinned comment that these are "remasters" and people should stop harping on Nintendo for phoning it in. That Nintendo sat on higher quality source material and put it into this version doesn't make them "remasters" any more than any of the PSX games that were ported to Dreamcast.

I feel like this sudden insistence on what a "remaster" is is versus a port is just Nintendo fans trying to redefine the word to shield Nintendo from criticism; as if there weren't dozens of games every console generation from consoles to PC (or Nintendo consoles to the other consoles) which run and look better that everyone understood was part and parcel with a port to better hardware; and is a red herring to avoid discussing how little effort is on display to begin with compared to other similar efforts from others.

• Thumbs Up 5

2 hours ago, Tornado said:

I feel like this sudden insistence on what a "remaster" is is versus a port is just Nintendo fans trying to redefine the word to shield Nintendo from criticism; as if there weren't dozens of games every console generation from consoles to PC (or Nintendo consoles to the other consoles) which run and look better that everyone understood was part and parcel with a port to better hardware; and is a red herring to avoid discussing how little effort is on display to begin with compared to other similar efforts from others.

To me, it seems to be aiming for the PS3/Xbox 360 definition of what a remaster was, which was more or less just a straight port, while also increasing resolution to widescreen, and upping texture quality for HD, and that was with questionable results sometimes (Silent Hill Collection, for example).

Personally, I see these as a port job, and not much else. Maybe a remaster by the standards of the PS3 era, if I'm being really generous, but definitely not a typical remaster nowadays where there's usually something of a graphical leap, as well as various fixes, or quality of life improvements, even if minor.

Hell, even Galaxy's work for this port specifically is very difficult to see, because the game was already technically converted to HD awhile ago:

I feel like the video's definiton of "port" is actually "emulation", and there's a lot that isn't actually made clear in the video to the layman, like... why it matters that the cut-scenes in Sunshine and Galaxy have had a visual upgrade.  I actually only recently learned that Galaxy used pre-rendered video cut-scenes, they were that convincing originally.  I'm sure the majority of players don't even know the difference, let alone the fact that Sunshine/Galaxy used video cut-scenes.

• Thumbs Up 4

Hard pass from me. If Nintendo is willing to stress me out on a limited release at such a high price then they won’t get any money out of me for this trio. 

I’m on the side of thinkers that Nintendo will probably release these titles separately on the eShop once this weird limited celebration thing is done... otherwise this is a truly bizarre business practise.

In all honestly the fact I own these already on the respective consoles (M64 Multiple times especially), has me feeling like I can wait (not that waiting is an option lol). So really I’m in this just for Sunshine and Galaxy in a higher resolution and widescreen. I had hoped for a full remake of one of these games at least, but I guess that was never on the cards.

£50 though... taking the mick a bit Nintendo? I paid £50 for The Crash and Spyro trilogies combined as they were budget releases for completely remade games. £50 for 6 games... and Nintendo wants £50 for three “glorified ports”? I think not somehow. XD

As unlikely as it is, given it's Nintendo, and how absurd the price is to begin with, I'd like to say that there's still a chance the title could go on sale for either Black Friday, or Boxing Day/New Years, but I'm not sure how often that's happened in the past.

I know quite a number of games over here got a price cut recently (off the top of my head - Odyssey, BOTW, and a few other Mario games got £10 dropped off the price), but idk if that's an actual Nintendo sale, or certain shops just decided to try off-load their stock.

Well, the game has been leaked online and hackers have determined that the video was completely wrong - the games are emulated.  However, the person who discovered this does make it clear that this does not necessarily mean Nintendo were "lazy".  Emulators that run games to Nintendo's gold standard of presentation do take significant development effort.

Apparently the altered visuals (such as Mario 64's high quality HUD etc) are patched on the fly.  For any Sonic fans here who have seen Jon Burton's comment on how the Saturn version of Sonic 3D still pretty much ran off the original Mega Drive game's code but just added all the code for the added cosmetics "on top" of the original game, I guess this is a similar situation.

• Thumbs Up 1

It's also confirmed that the SM64 ROM used is the Rumble update that was originally released in 1997, only in Japan.
So say bye to the BLJ for good.

If they went to the effort of developing an emulator for these, I sincerely hope that means a N64/Wii/GameCube VC in the future.

But but but GameXplain said that textures couldn't be changed if the gamea weren't remastered from the ground up. 

Also yes this is still half assed. This emulator won't only be used for this release (and the N64 emulator is allegedly ported from the Wii U), so the fact that the emulator will probably be good doesn't mean this release utilizing it isn't being cynically shit out with minimal effort because Nintendo knows Switch owners will buy anything.

• Thumbs Up 2

I didn't trust GameXplains assertion that these weren't emulations. It just didn't seem likely considering everything that we were looking at. 

• Thumbs Up 1

I don’t really get how they could get all of the Switch’s button icons into SM64, but couldn’t just swap out the GC X button with the Switch’s. 

• Thumbs Up 2

Dang, I expected something to be "off" with how they'd have to re-do the tutorial cut-scene, but I'd have honestly rather they just cut the voicework for that scene entirely than distractingly edited it that way.  It wouldn't have been jarring at all since it's completely unique within the game anyway as the only time the game uses an FMV for a tutorial (not a story cut-scene in any way).

And... I guess I should've seen this coming once emulation was confirmed, but there he is, horrible low-poly distance Mario in 720p glory.  Well, not like it's gonna be any less distracting than it was on PC emulator or Wii/Wii U's 480p VC.

The "NPCs stop animating a certain distance away" thing in Sunshine was noticable in the original too, I remember being amused by it back in the day.  But again, looks silly at 1080p I'm sure, and if the heatwave effect is missing, even moreso.

Yeah, dang, I'm bummed.  I know I've been pretty defensive of this release but it's now officially dipped below my very generous standards.  Having these three games on Switch at all is still worth the purchase for me, but I'm officially disappointed™.

• Thumbs Up 1

Funnily enough this isn't the first time I've seen the whole 'press the button' thing done, but that's typically reserved for multiplatform stuff. In practice it's not exactly any different to the whole "press the 'action' button" games of the time did, but with the old VA in mind it definitely seems... off. 

• Thumbs Up 1

I'm hesitant to take these as gospel as I don't see any indication this is a legitimate copy, and bad dumps of games can lead to perfomance issues (I've had it happen on Saturn, too); that and this guy clearly had an axe to grind with this collection beforehand, so given he's calling reviewers 'shills' and stuff I'm not sure I'm taking him too seriously right now. 

Alas, it's certainly not looking optimistic at this point. Even less so given Sunshine's one of the main attractions for me. 

As an example of what I mean: 

• Thumbs Up 1

1 hour ago, Tracker_TD said:

I'm hesitant to take these as gospel as I don't see any indication this is a legitimate copy, and bad dumps of games can lead to perfomance issues (I've had it happen on Saturn, too); that and this guy clearly had an axe to grind with this collection beforehand, so given he's calling reviewers 'shills' and stuff I'm not sure I'm taking him too seriously right now. 

Alas, it's certainly not looking optimistic at this point. Even less so given Sunshine's one of the main attractions for me. 

This may just be me, but other people have thrown up gameplay videos of the collection, and I'm not noticing any major performance drops.

Although, granted, as I said - I might just not be noticing them. Unless the drops are pretty severe, I don't tend to notice them until I'm playing the game myself.