Awoo.

Sega should release a 3D Anniversary collection for Sonic’s 30th like Nintendo are doing for Mario’s 35th this year!

StarWarsSonic

I can only speak for myself here, but I only want the old titles as they were. I'm not interested in them going back and making huge "improvements" that miss the point and marking up the price for changes and extraneous features I honestly don't want.

• Thumbs Up 1

Same, except for 06; that ought to at least have the glitches fixed, if they were to retelease it. I had to hunt down most of the library scattered across 6 different platforms, and I still can't play all of them (don't own a PSP). It would have saved me a lot of headache to have them all ported to the Switch or Xbox insome way. The stinkers can just be bundled with other, better received games, like in the past.

I think they could make three different collections: Adventure, Modern and Handheld. The first would have the 3D games from Adventure to 06 (including Shuffle). The second would have Unleashed to Lost World (including the Storybook games), and the last would have all the 2D games from Pocket Adventure to Colors (including the Rivals games, Chronicles, etc.). Maybe the Riders games could be bundled into their own trilogy, to avoid having them split across different collections.

As much as I'd like this, who knows if this'd ever come to be. 

• Thumbs Up 1

On 9/4/2020 at 4:44 AM, SonicLegends said:

Thank you, just what a incredibly lazy scheme from Nintendo. It's practically highway robbery and some Mario fans are eating it up. Sunshine is literally the only justification I can see for someone given how much it sales on Ebay. Mario 64 in it is downright pathetic, couldn't have been bothered to go with the DS version and what it offered with the upgraded graphics and additional content, especially considering a complaint for it was the controls by some players, this would have been the one time to fix all that for those people and they blew it. Can't say I'm surprised because Sticker Star shows Mario fans will buy anything with the Mario title slap to it.

The DS version of Mario 64 is pretty contentious, while most people liked the additional characters in theory, the general concensus is that they added a lot of filler to the game as you looked around for caps to get the relevant abilities to perform actions.  The silver star missions were also pretty filler-ish.  The only thing I would want from DS is to add the extra courses and bosses into the original as extras dotted throughout the castle, since they were worthy inclusions, but that would be a heck of a lot of work when the original Mario 64 is still an excellent game as it is.  Also I know the DS game had a higher polygon count, but the original, blocky first go arounds at bringing Mario characters into 3D have a nostalgic charm to them that I prefer, and I hate how they dulled the overall palette of the game with more realistic texture work (that was then all pixellated to boot because DS couldn't do anti-ailasing like the N64 could - naturally that would probably be fixed in a remake if they did go the DS route).

I'm kind of fine with them leaving well enough alone, because as it stands it seems pretty unquestionable that these will be the definitive versions of the game.  Much as I appreciated SOME of the enhancements in the Zelda re-releases, I didn't like everything, and I hate that I now have to choose which version to play when I go back to those games.

Sadly I don't really have any way to tie this discussion about Mario back into the subject of a Sonic 3D game compilation coz... Sonic games don't need bells or whistles OR being left well enough alone, they need fixing to be worthy of re-releasing for anything other than preservation lol.  It's kind of telling that I never really see anyone (including myself) asking for a re-release of Unleashed with extra levels or extra characters or whatever.  We all want an Unleashed re-release with this, that and the other fixed or removed etc.

On 9/3/2020 at 11:44 PM, SonicLegends said:

Thank you, just what a incredibly lazy scheme from Nintendo. It's practically highway robbery and some Mario fans are eating it up. Sunshine is literally the only justification I can see for someone given how much it sales on Ebay. Mario 64 in it is downright pathetic, couldn't have been bothered to go with the DS version and what it offered with the upgraded graphics and additional content, especially considering a complaint for it was the controls by some players, this would have been the one time to fix all that for those people and they blew it. Can't say I'm surprised because Sticker Star shows Mario fans will buy anything with the Mario title slap to it.

Far be it from me to defend the idiots who will buy anything with Mario on it and heap praise upon Nintendo for the pleasure for releasing a collection so lazy that they won't even change the button prompts in Sunshine, but SM64DS fucking sucks; and even if it didn't it would basically need to be remade from scratch to not look absolutely eye-gougingly hideous when played blown up on a television like it did on the Wii U rerelease.

With a couple exceptions (and ignoring the large difference in art style in some areas compared to the original), all the new texture work that was done to offset how the DS couldn't do any of the stuff with lighting that the N64 did only barely led to something that looked better when being played on a DS screen, and it looks atrocious when put on a bigger screen that the original game's heavy usage of single color textures with lighting effects applied to them doesn't suffer from.

Sonic has a lot more 3D mainline games so I don’t know which ones would be All Star worthy. The only ones that I can see benefiting from updates are 2006 and both Adventures. 2006 for technical reasons and the Adventures for graphics and better gameplay.

I know some think an SA remake is in the works. I think that’s plausible so we’ll see but other than that I’d prefer a compilation of the more obscure games which I brought up in the other board.

I agree the latest Mario stuff is not that great. SM64 totally should have gotten a proper graphics update to match the others. It’s been rereleased more than once already so higher resolution and cleaner texture is not enough.

The Game and Watch is cute but $50 is way too expensive. The Classic/Mini retailed for $60 and has 30 games.