Awoo.

Hyrule Warriors: Age of Calamity

KHCast

1 hour ago, Son-icka said:

First of all, if anything I'm probably able to be completely objective about it not being a massive fan of Warriors games in general. I've played many of their titles (as I mentioned above) and apart from visual differences in their numbered entries (or if it's a spin-off into another franchise like Samurai, One Piece, Fire Emblem etc...) and the core mechanics (understandably) are pretty identical in each entry. 

Fan's of the series are well aware of this since Koei effectively have over 40+ Warriors titles under their belt with the "if it ain't broke don't fix it" approach being the most common staple of the series as a whole.

Isn't it kind of misleading to claim you're not a fan of something, and then claim to speak on behalf of people who are fans?

1 hour ago, Son-icka said:

I'm more surprised you haven't to be honest. You only need to read reviews, look on message boards or speak to fans of the series to be well aware of the "phoning-it-in" staple that Koei Tecmo have become labelled for with a lot of their Warriors titles. They ain't all bad - but a LOT of recycling goes on.

This isn't how burden of proof works, either. You were asked for proof that Koei were recycling content verbatim - if it's as simple to find as you say it is, it shouldn't be any real problem including it in your post in the first place, not passing the buck and making other people search for your own supporting arguments.

• Absolutely 1

I never played Hyrule Warriors, but generally Musou games are kind of.... cruddy... So it's kind of disappointing to see this be Nintendo's big holiday game for this year. I only say "kind of", because I don't actually own a Switch yet and I'll be preoccupied with the PS5 this holiday anyway lol

That said, I think this kind of game is the perfect place for this story, which wouldn't really fit in a more typical Zelda game. I like that Nintendo seems more heavily involved with the story, so we know it'll be more important than the first one.

Still, I think that may be a weakness of the game, too. The previous game could go crazy with characters, but this one will have to hold back, to stick in continuity.

I'll definitely get his once I get a Switch, though. Hopefully by then there'll be a definitive release with all the DLC.

I don't really remember how it was in the story, but was Ganon already Calamity Ganon by the beginning of this war? It'd be cool to see a living Ganondorf here and then his corpse in BOTW 2.

5 hours ago, MetalSkulkBane said:

Look at that, after all those years Zelda finally has ongoing Spin-off. It's a little funny that it's not in continuity with first HW, but hey, gotta cash on more popular game.

I'm most curious what new characters they can add. FIrst game was pretty thorough. Only people missing for me are Groose,, Vaati,, Nabooru and Deku Scrub representative ( (either Link or a princess). Maybe Agahnim, Twinrova and Fierce Deity if you insist. I suppose they can use DS characters and Oracles, but that's gonna be small niche demand.

And what new characters can join, other than 4 champions? Their present day family? Paya and Purah? Link in a Gerudo Outfit?

Deku Scrub I'd have liked is the Deku Butler. I also wish Mikau would've gotten in.

Also, are characters from the Oracle games really that much more niche than Vaati? Haha

4 minutes ago, Marcello said:

Still, I think that may be a weakness of the game, too. The previous game could go crazy with characters, but this one will have to hold back, to stick in continuity.

People keep saying this as if it’s for sure impossible to still have random non-canon extra characters in this game. Like...i don’t get this logic at all. 

• Thumbs Up 2

13 minutes ago, Marcello said:

Not necessarily. It's been mentioned earlier, but even in HW1 not every character necessarily had an actual role in its story - the Wind Waker characters were just extras until the 3DS and Switch ports, and all the characters after that point didn't have story roles at all. In all likelihood, the bulk of the game's roster after the Calamity picks will be in the game's Adventure mode just like it was in HW1, so if it had an opportunity to go crazy with post calamity - or cross canon, as the case may be - they would do it all right there.

• Thumbs Up 2

16 minutes ago, Blacklightning said:

Not necessarily. It's been mentioned earlier, but even in HW1 not every character necessarily had an actual role in its story - the Wind Waker characters were just extras until the 3DS and Switch ports, and all the characters after that point didn't have story roles at all. In all likelihood, the bulk of the game's roster after the Calamity picks will be in the game's Adventure mode just like it was in HW1, so if it had an opportunity to go crazy with post calamity - or cross canon, as the case may be - they would do it all right there.

That's good to know. So, I guess there is chance of out of place characters. I'd love to see them done in BOTW's style.

But, I think it also depends on whether or not Nintendo would want that to happen. Even if it's not story-related, they may not want characters like Groose or Marin hanging around this part of the timeline. I could easily be wrong and I hope I am, though.

• Thumbs Up 2

HW1 had a huge cast of characters within the story, both the good guys and the bad guys, who are playable. It then also had...

Linkle; she got her own story outside of the main plot and not interacting with the main plot at all, really.

Tetra and King Daphnes; part of the WW expansion that came much later

And then a shit ton of other characters like Marin, Ravio and Tingle; these guys had no story associated with them whatsoever and were unlocked in a different mode entirely. You could play through the story with them, but they obviously weren't present during cutscenes and dialogue.

I really hope that AoC gives us new characters in the story (and reasonable existing characters from BotW such as Impa and Hestu) for the most part, so that there can be a great deal of world building. I don't really care too much about other returning characters, but there will almost certainly be a cast of bonus characters too.

• Thumbs Up 1

The logic is that it would be better to keep everything in sync with the BOTW continuity. It wasn’t an issue for Hyrule Warriors because of the context of the story allowed for everything and anything to exist and turn up because magical macguffin. 

Whilst I’d rather them stick to BOTW content - there isn't really any reason they can’t include the entire roster from the first Hyrule Warriors either (it would then boost the character roster to hopefully match the  DW series at least), but it would have to be bonus content for fun and outside of the story. It would eat away at me otherwise XD

1 hour ago, Blacklightning said:

Isn't it kind of misleading to claim you're not a fan of something, and then claim to speak on behalf of people who are fans?

This isn't how burden of proof works, either. You were asked for proof that Koei were recycling content verbatim - if it's as simple to find as you say it is, it shouldn't be any real problem including it in your post in the first place, not passing the buck and making other people search for your own supporting arguments.

I swear to god... this forum and it’s idiosyncrasies. XD 

No, it’s not at all misleading. I’ve played enough of them to be able to speak my piece I feel. Being a fan of the series or not has nothing to do with it, I’m certainly not representative of the fan base as a whole, I’m just talking from what I understand or thought to be quite common knowledge.

If that’s not correct then I apologise for the error and I’d advise to just ignore everything I have said. I’m not going to go to painstaking lengths to do all of that if no one else can back up their claims either XD (I’m not asking you to this either because I don’t really care THAT much about this discussion). 

If you like the game that’s great. I didn’t, I’m just concerned about this entry being another Musou game and expressed why. If you disagree with me, also fine.

Anyway, I did preorder this on announcement despite my worries. I’m a sucker for the BOTW bait and have to hope for the best. So by that merit even my own logic didn’t deter me clearly! XD

I actually wouldn't really mind if as much of this game was new characters and mechanics as possible. Otherwise, they really could have just stapled the BOTW characters in with the old shit and called it a day.

• Thumbs Up 3

I think at the least staple iconic characters like Ganondorf or a fan favorite or two from the original should be enough to carry over from the last game honestly. I mean might as well, given how you got the assets right there and touching them up to fit with AoC shouldn’t be too difficult. It’s easy extra content. I wouldn’t want the entire OG cast tho (though I wouldn’t be annoyed or anything if they were there all stylized in the Botw style)

6 hours ago, Marcello said:

I don't really remember how it was in the story, but was Ganon already Calamity Ganon by the beginning of this war? It'd be cool to see a living Ganondorf here and then his corpse in BOTW 2.

Breath of the Wild spoilers (but if that matters to anyone reading, you really shouldn't be in a thread for a follow-up game 3 years after said game came out):

Spoiler

Pretty sure that within the history that BotW directly covers, Ganon was in his Calamity form the whole time, and that part of his plan was to reincarnate himself into a physical form, which Zelda holds back. When you arrive at the end of the game, he gives up the plan to kick your ass, which is why Calamity Ganon looks so uncomfortably fucked up when you fight him, and Dark Beast Ganon looks so ephemeral in nature.  As such, if Ganon shows up as a Gerudo, it'll be a surprise new bit of lore that was not referred to in BotW at any point.  The only mention of Gerudo Ganon is from Urbosa in her post-dungeon cut-scene, and she talks about it as if it is ancient myth, even to her, who was present 100 years ago.

Weird, I'm sure I replied last night, but it's not here lol

8 hours ago, JezMM said:

Breath of the Wild spoilers (but if that matters to anyone reading, you really shouldn't be in a thread for a follow-up game 3 years after said game came out):

Reveal hidden contents

Pretty sure that within the history that BotW directly covers, Ganon was in his Calamity form the whole time, and that part of his plan was to reincarnate himself into a physical form, which Zelda holds back. When you arrive at the end of the game, he gives up the plan to kick your ass, which is why Calamity Ganon looks so uncomfortably fucked up when you fight him, and Dark Beast Ganon looks so ephemeral in nature.  As such, if Ganon shows up as a Gerudo, it'll be a surprise new bit of lore that was not referred to in BotW at any point.  The only mention of Gerudo Ganon is from Urbosa in her post-dungeon cut-scene, and she talks about it as if it is ancient myth, even to her, who was present 100 years ago.

Spoiler

How could I forget that Urbosa scene, I really liked it back then, too 😅

• Thumbs Up 1

On 9/9/2020 at 3:21 AM, Blacklightning said:

- Paya. She was apparently about 20 years old when the calamity struck,

Wait, what? After a bit I realized you possibly meant Purah but I was really thrown by this, lol.

Also I think the little egg guardian should be playable. You're tiny but going around shooting stupidly powerful lasers. ...Okay, for now I assume that it's role will be what people are speculating: speaking for Link, similar to Proxi in the previous HW. But also I think it should be allowed to kill things.

• My Emmerdoods 1

The first Hyrule Warriors was bottom to top fanservice.  It was basically The Legend of Zelda's own personal version of Smash Bros; a big ass crossover between all the different Zelda games.  They weren't even trying to make it link up with existing canon, and because of that, they didn't have to think twice about who they included in the game.  With this game, they're actually trying to create a legitimate prequel to an established main series game, so it's pretty safe to assume that they're going to be more conservative with their character choices. 

Having said that, I wanna throw down my relatively conservative predictions for what we might see from this game.

• Link will probably have a variety of movesets based on different weapon types since, y'know, that's part of his whole deal as a character.  Basic Sword & Shield is confirmed, and the Master Sword will inevitably be a variant of that, but I'm sure there'll be Greatsword/Hammer and Spear movesets as well.  I'm also hoping there will be at least one completely new weapon type that might go on to appear in BotW2.
  • Zelda will likely have two movesets:  Sheikah Slate and Divine Power.  Maybe she'll get more, but definitely those two.
  • Mipha, Urbosa, Daruk, and Revali are virtually confirmed playable already.  I can't really see any of them fighting with anything other than their signature weapons though.  ...I guess Urbosa could have a Thunder Helm moveset, maybe?
  • Impa, Purah, and Robbie were all around 100 years before BotW, so they will inevitably play a significant role. 
  • Impa will probably be playable as a conventional Sheikah ninja.
  • That little egg shaped Guardian is on the box art, so it has to be important, so it's either playable or a major supporting element.  If it IS playable, my money's on it being a drone controlled by Purah and/or Robbie.
  • All of the enemies we've seen so far are the same ones from BotW, which ... doesn't bode well.  Then again, this was just an initial reveal, so ... fingers crossed?
  • There's a scene in the trailer of Link clashing the Master Sword against ... some kind of electrical weapon?  It doesn't look like any BotW weapon I know, so either it's a new thing or it's just too zoomed in to recognize.

Well look at this. Breath of the Wild really has been a thing that's been captivating people and now it's getting backstory through Hyrule Warriors? Interesting.

I know relatively little about it beyond some characters and memorable setpieces, but I'm sure I'll be a great time.

On 9/9/2020 at 5:24 AM, Blue Blood said:

As far as the story goes, I wouldn't like to see characters like Riju, Paya, Kass or anyone else from post-calamity Hyrule. These characters were all born long after the events of the calamity. So whilst I wouldn't mind them showing up in a non-canon capacity, I'd rather the story focused on characters from 100 years ago (Hestu, Impa, Purah) and new characters. And considering how much potential there is for storytelling and world-building here, new characters would be great. This isn't a case of characters like Lanka and Linkle being created for a non-canon spin-off feeling like they're getting in the way of more direct fan service and references. 

HW had an enormous cast of characters, most of whom had no story roles at all, so there'll undoubtedly be plenty of the same here. I just hope they include new material and don't rely entirely upon BotW references.

Lanka?

• 2 weeks later...

According to the description, this Impa is a bit absent minded, so very unlike her previous incarnations and especially unlike SS and HW. Cool. I'm down for that. I'm liking her design a lot too. It's very clearly based on Paya and Purah in BotW. 

Makes sense that she'd have family resemblance to Paya, and I guess, this being a prequel, they do have carte blanché on her personality - she has a worldwide catastrophe and 100 off-screen years to develop into the Impa we see in BotW after all.  I hope there's a bit of that rare cheekiness from BotW intact on her personality though (see her very matter-of-fact reveal of her granddaughter's secret).

I'm also happy that gameplay footage of Impa confirms a BotW-styled soundtrack. While I could have certainly lived with the amazing rock/techno/orchestra combo of Hyrule Warriors Classic, that stuff was amazing, I'd rather this game be nice and consistently aesthetically with BotW, what with it being canon and all.

I'm hoping Purah, Robbie and maybe even King Rhoam become playable. King Dorephan would be awesome too, but since he's a big guy, I don't know if it would work.

Warriors games let you play as the bad guys so we might get to play as the Blights.

• 2 weeks later...

The voice acting in BotW was a mixed bag, and I honestly really wanted to like it. But the voices they chose were just so generic and cliché. They were tolerable at best, really. And then there were Purah's few lines at the end of the Champion's Ballad... Just unbearable. That teeny weeny trailer was difficult to listen to. Robbie was fine. But I can't be doing with Purah at all. This might be the first game in which I actually set the voices to another language.