Awoo.

Save Cosmo

Waluigi Smash

One of the only things from other continuities that I wish were canon to the games is Tails' history with Cosmo. Tails' having once had to kill his loved one in order to save the world is something that brings so much depth to his character. It turns him from simply being a smart and cute fuzzball into being a character with a faschinating tragic side.

• Thumbs Up 1

2 hours ago, Waluigi Smash said:

It's time to Save Cosmo the Seedrian from Sonic X

#SaveCosmo

I think it's about 14 years too late for that.

• Thumbs Up 5

If you really want her back, your best bet would be to demand her to appear in IDW Sonic.

And I would actually like to see what she could do in a more game focused setting along with her whole species. Not like we don’t have aliens already anyway.

I really don't think that's going to happen. For one thing she's super dead and for another she's a Sonic X character. Sega aren't exactly big on canon immigrants and I'm not counting Longclaw or Tangle & Whisper since they were in a mobile game and specifically brought in to promote other media. 

So I'm a fan of Sonic X (I know, hard to imagine given my avatar,) so let's brainstorm for sec about what advantages Cosmo has that other characters don't and what potential roadblocks she might face.

First, the pros. Cosmo is from Sonic X, which on we'll touch upon to the negative in a bit, but for now that means she was designed by Uekawa and Sonic Team. This is a huge point in her favor because that means Sega of Japan sees Cosmo as one of their creations, she showed up for at least a while routinely in Sonic Channel's fan art section, more than the American characters anyway (it's been a while since I looked at those, don't know if she's been featured recently or not) which shows at least someone on SoJ's staff still thinks about the character and indulges her fans. Cosmo's design itself apes a lot from the design of Lumina Flowlight from Sonic Shuffle, a character considered much more obscure and hasn't shown up in official media almost since her debut - cameos as cards in Sonic Rivals notwithstanding. As a result, Cosmo could be seen as a way to salvage aspects of Lumina and better connect her to the series proper. This would be similar to the philosophy Sega took with the Chaotix for their appearance in Sonic Heroes, meaning that Sega could see Cosmo as suitable for inclusion in the broader Sonic franchise already. While minor, certain elements from Sonic X have been adapted into the main series, even if we don't really see them often, such as the Chaotix's house from Sonic X being featured in the official comic for Vector on Sonic Channel during the 25th anniversary celebration and the two worlds, human and animal, connected via rings is seemingly similar to the portal used in episodes 50 and 53 of Sonic X. Lastly, we should also note Sonic X's longevity and popularity that persisted after the series finished. While Sonic X ended in 2006, television reruns persisted in the same time slot range as North American premieres until that venue closed in 2014, ending a nearly constant 11 year run on US television. That's not insignificant. The series' premiere digitally on Netflix and recent blu-ray release by Discotek are also signs that Sonic X's legacy has weight to it among casual fans making the series and its content ripe for continued exploit by Sega. TMS certainly seems to have no qualms about posting Sonic X clips routinely on their Youtube account.

Next, the cons. Cosmo is from Sonic X, and therefore she's from another continuity. While I maintain that Sonic X has a lot going for it, at the end of the day Sega's official stance on stuff like the American comic books is that Sonic X content is not allowed to cross pollinate with the main series. This was true with Archie and it's still true with IDW. While Sonic X did have a long run post cancellation, the fact also remains that the series ceased releasing new episodes in 2006. That was 14 years ago. Unlike Sally and the Freedom Fighters whose history predated Sonic X's premiere by 10 years and continued making appearances for 10 years after Sonic X ended, Sonic X was promoted for only four years, with an additional two if you want to include the Archie Sonic X comic. That's a sizable period of relevance, and it outlasted Sonic's other television ventures, but it still is a long time to be without new products to promote beyond the other branches of the Sonic franchise. Another matter is Cosmo's limited appearances in Sonic X and the role she played in the series. Cosmo is not as synonymous with Sonic X the way say Chris is. Chris appears in the first episode, appears in the last episode, and is featured prominently as a main cast member throughout the series as a whole. Cosmo first appears in episode 53. While Cosmo is a main character in the show's third season, that still means she only appears in the last third of the series. That's significantly less time to stay relevant to the larger Sonic X sub brand. Cosmo only appears in the season produced exclusively for international audiences and not in the seasons produced for the domestic Japanese market. Cosmo has no merchandise produced of her to date. Beyond a head-shot cameo in one issue, Cosmo herself was not allowed to be featured in the Sonic X comic series. All of these things together, make it difficult to say that Cosmo is one of the most marketable aspects of Sonic X, even if fans are aware she's one of the more popular concepts. Finally there's Cosmo's role in season three, where she'd directly tied into the villain organization of the season and her story concludes with Tails being forced to kill her. Similar to the argument that Shadow has felt out of place since his story first ended in Sonic Adventure 2, Cosmo's current identity is tied to her portrayal and story beats as seen in Sonic X. This isn't like Sally being tied to SatAM or Archie, Cosmo's story begins with her introduction and ends with her death in Sonic X. While a Sega!Cosmo would obviously be her own thing, there is the fact that Sega would be utilizing a character who had previously already completed an arc and are now trying to find a right place for her. That's not easy to do, especially when her association with the Metarex is also not viable due to the Metarex also not appearing in the games.

With all of that said, would I like Cosmo in the Sega-verse? Absolutely. Her simple but spontaneous personality is endearing and her relationship with Tails is super cute. Her design fits in with the rest of the cast well and her physical attributes with her petal dress would actually make for an interesting play style back when the supporting cast was allowed to be playable. But the pros and cons are both significant so I'm really not sure if Cosmo would actually be viable or not. Certainly doesn't hurt to ask though.

• Thumbs Up 2

Well this is sudden. I wouldn't mind welcoming her though 

Wasn't there a cameo of her in Chronicles or something?

7 hours ago, KingScoopaKoopa said:

I think it's about 14 years too late for that.

I was thinking that as well.

I don't understand why they're so reserved with what they include from other canons when the "game canon" is an extremely inconsistent mess, especially when going from the Classic Era to Adventure Era, or Adventure Era to Sonic '06 onward (and even '06 to the Meta Era / Children's Dreamworks Comedy Era). There has very obviously been no sense of quality control when it comes to the storytelling or characterizations in the games for over a decade. The storytelling and characters haven't exactly been what I'd consider quality since starting to get fleshed-out more from Adventure and onward, but since the Meta Era it's only somehow gotten worse. The Adventure titles, Heroes, and the Sonic X canon were at least something I can accept and kind of get interested in, even if they're not my ideal vision. The writing / art direction became so uninspired and bland from Unleashed and so-forth that you'd think these writers don't even care about Sonic, which puts them on par with the situation Ken Penders was in. Even Penders managed to be more interesting though, which is sad.  

It seems like each mainline installment is beginning to come jam-packed with a new retcon or inconsistency, further confusing the fanbase. It's just an absolute mess of shit that most people don't even care about or enjoy. I think the best course of action would be to just retcon pretty much the entirety of 'Modern Sonic' and drag it back to where Adventure 2 or Heroes left off, since that's the variant of post-retro Sonic that people actually care about and have been begging for. How many people actually really want elements of Shadow TH, '06, Story Book Series, Unleashed, Colors, Generations, Lost World, or Forces to remain canon and referenced? (I'm aware some of those are said to be "retconed", but still)

Elements of Sonic X could also be included in this hypothetical 'Adventure' continuation, as I believe enough people actually appreciate the original version of that show. In this situation, Retro Sonic should just remain its own universe and not crossover with Adventure Sonic whatsoever as that creates divide in the fanbase, and it's generally just a lazy Sonic Team tactic of trying to please everyone in singular low-effort games. Both Sonics can have their own storylines, supporting characters, 2D titles, 3D titles, spin-off titles, comics, shows, merch, and whatever else. Boom Sonic can just die off because it's basically Meta Era Sonic in Ratchet & Clank land with an over-detailed unnecessary design change and a Back At The Barnyard CGI comedy show. There should also be better titles to distinguish the series' / universes of Retro and Modern since it's pretty odd to give them age-related labels.  

On 9/16/2020 at 1:40 AM, batson said:

One of the only things from other continuities that I wish were canon to the games is Tails' history with Cosmo. Tails' having once had to kill his loved one in order to save the world is something that brings so much depth to his character. It turns him from simply being a smart and cute fuzzball into being a character with a faschinating tragic side.

Tails killed someone? Woah that is dark. Where can I read aboit this?

So, Ian mentioned something that may be of interest to this topic on today's Bumblekast. Video should be timed for the appropriate question. Make of that what you will, but up to this point all Sonic X content he considered off the table any other time Ian was asked about it.

• 1 month later...

If they do manage to get Cosmo and the Metarex into the IDW comics, I wonder how they would be portrayed? Would it be a retelling of the third season of Sonic X or would it be an entirely new story?

1 hour ago, EmTiven01 said:

If they do manage to get Cosmo and the Metarex into the IDW comics, I wonder how they would be portrayed? Would it be a retelling of the third season of Sonic X or would it be an entirely new story?

There is a third season of Sonic X? I only have two on Netflix. 

• Thumbs Up 1

5 minutes ago, Nathan said:

Yes there is I love sonic x cried when tails killed cosmo on Amazon prime but Chris is in season 3 and is annoying as $@&!

So I’d have to prime Season 3. How many seasons are there?