Awoo.

Final Fantasy XVI - Just Announced - PS5 Console Exclusive (Also on PC)

Ryannumber1gamer

Final Fantasy XVI producer (that’s right, just producer) Naoki Yoshida here. How did you enjoy the trailer? The exclusive footage, comprised of both battles and cutscenes running in real-time, represents but a fraction of what our team has accomplished since the start of development on this, an all-new Final Fantasy game. In that span, the team’s size has grown from a handful of core members to a full-fledged unit that continues to polish and build upon what they have created so far, all to provide players an experience unmatched in terms of story and gameplay. 

Our next big information reveal is scheduled for 2021, so in the meantime, I expect everyone to have fun speculating, as we have a lot in store—not only for Final Fantasy XVI, but for Final Fantasy XIV, too. Needless to say, I’ll be working hard on both! 

— Final Fantasy XVI Producer, Naoki Yoshida 

When Final Fantasy I was released, I was just another player─a young student with big dreams. By the time Final Fantasy V was in the works, I had earned myself a seat at the developers’ table… albeit at the very end. From there, I moved “online” leaving my mark on both Final Fantasy XI and XIV. 

And now…XVI. 

From the establishment of an all new development environment, to learning the ins-and-outs of the PlayStation 5, the team and I have taken on countless challenges during our journey to bring you the sixteenth chapter in the storied Final Fantasy franchise. And though we’re pouring our hearts and souls into this project each and every day, it may still be some time before we can get it into your hands. However, I promise it will be worth the wait! 

— Final Fantasy XVI Director, Hiroshi Takai 

The long-awaited 16th entry in the Final Fantasy series is finally here! Coming to PC, and exclusively to PS5, the next game in the series seems to have an upgraded battle system from FF15, more info on the game is coming in 2021!

For the past few years of my life I have been playing FFXIV and lemme tell you, they're netting some GOOD fucking talent for this game. FFXIV is my favorite game in the series and Shadowbringers' story is honestly the best jrpg narrative, maybe one of the best game narratives (period) I've ever played.

I am so unbelievably excited for this and honestly? I'd get a PS5 just for it. I really would.

Now all they gotta do is announce Soken doing the music for it and I'm going to scream

EDIT: there isnt any clarification its coming to PC at launch I think? it's listed as a ps5 console exclusive much like FF7R is

Getting people from Final Fantasy 14 and Devil May Cry 5 is really promising. I liked what they showed as well. Looks even more like a pure action game than the last couple which I'm fine with. The grounded aesthetic is great since I felt like 7R's T rating caused them to pull too many punches. All the classic Final Fantasy monsters look sick in the new artstyle.

I'm not sure what to think of the story yet but I have confidence in this crew. This is the best foot forward Final Fantasy has had for an announcement in a very long time. They led with actual, authentic gameplay with noticeable jank instead of trying to sell us with a CGI trailer or a "target render".

I was never really sold on FF14 tbh, but having people from DMCV I think bodes well. I don’t doubt it’ll be mechanically a well enough time, but if I’m being honest? It’s not really grabbing me all that much. I don’t really care much about the graphics not being omg hype (I’ve always said how graphics aren’t the selling factor for me), but the world this is set in...it kinda bored me? And while the gameplay looks neat, it looks like even more of a departure from what I expect typically from even action FF games, and I probably will still end up gravitating towards FF7R in terms of mechanics and world setting.

by no means it doesn’t look bad at all, but like...it kinda just gave me a “another FF yep” vibe, even with the more mature rating (it is M right?)

Final Fantasy XIV Heavensward and Shadowbringers are straight up the best Final Fantasy games ever made; knowing that the team behind this has that kind of talent backing it fills me with so much hope. This game has some serious potential, and I'm dying to learn more.

But fuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuck Square Enix and Sony for doing this moneyhatting bullshit again. Fuck off with that.

5 hours ago, Kaze no Klonoa said:

Now all they gotta do is announce Soken doing the music for it and I'm going to scream

I will too. The way the ending portion of the trailer sounds reminds me a lot of the Heavensward theme, so I'd put money on him being involved. But you never know.

Gotta be honest, this is disappointing. The setting and characters look really generic and uninteresting. Like, I'm currently playing through FF X for the first time and when I summoned Shiva for the first time I just thought how cool and awesome she looked, but here, she just looks bland and colorless.

I was already hoping against medieval fantasy as I prefer more sci-fi stuff, but even in the realm of medieval fantasy you can do unique and interest characters and locations. Just look at FF IX, another game I've only recently played through for the first time. Even the random NPCs look more interesting than anyone in this trailer. Same for the locations. Compare Alexandria to the castle here.

Story-wise, I can't say anything hooked me from this.

Graphics themselves aren't great, but it's still a long way out, so that's not really worrying.

The little gameplay shown isn't much to judge, but I'm not sure of it? I think it could be fun, but I don't want it to be too much of a character action game.

Also, this is a timed exclusive. It says at the end of the trailer.

• Thumbs Up 1

5 hours ago, Marcello said:

Gotta be honest, this is disappointing. The setting and characters look really generic and uninteresting. Like, I'm currently playing through FF X for the first time and when I summoned Shiva for the first time I just thought how cool and awesome she looked, but here, she just looks bland and colorless.

I was already hoping against medieval fantasy as I prefer more sci-fi stuff, but even in the realm of medieval fantasy you can do unique and interest characters and locations. Just look at FF IX, another game I've only recently played through for the first time. Even the random NPCs look more interesting than anyone in this trailer. Same for the locations. Compare Alexandria to the castle here.

Story-wise, I can't say anything hooked me from this.

Graphics themselves aren't great, but it's still a long way out, so that's not really worrying.

The little gameplay shown isn't much to judge, but I'm not sure of it? I think it could be fun, but I don't want it to be too much of a character action game.

Also, this is a timed exclusive. It says at the end of the trailer.

Pretty much sums up my thoughts.

Whilst I don’t mind a return to an FFIX sort of era, aesthetically this does look somewhat bog standard and dull compared to other action adventure RPG’s out there. This felt like it was FFIX... but with an FFXV skin. Or if Square were handed the license to Game of Thrones. That’s the sort of vibe I picked up. 

It’s a shame it’s going this direction, especially of the combat if what has been shown is to be the believed direction. And whilst I didn’t hate it in FFXV, I feel like Square have this combat Style pinned down now with the FFVII Remake series... so why can’t we just go back to a normal RPG turn based structure for new numbered FF’s? Do we really need to continue down this road? And another transportation attack type character? Really?

On the plus, That’s great if whoever did FFXIV is working on this, I hear the stories are good in those games. I loved FFXIV but could never get far into it due to its very nature in that it’s an MMORPG. I want to play solo with NPC’s if necessary, I don’t want to need to progress by playing with real people thanks.

Still, I guess we are some way off until we see some more of this to judge properly, but I found myself actively watching the trailer hoping it would be a spin-off and not a numbered entry... but alas, Nevermind. 

I just think what I want from Final Fantasy these days isn’t what Square is interested in making anymore. But on the flip side they do churn out an Octopath Traveler or Bravely Default every so often. So I can’t complain too much. 

5 minutes ago, Son-icka said:

so why can’t we just go back to a normal RPG turn based structure for numbered FF’s?

Closet I can assume we’ll get in terms of traditional turn based, will be the inevitable World of Final Fantasy sequel, since Maxima leaves a big ass cliffhanger.

• 2 weeks later...

Yoshida specifically avoided a CGI/pre-rendered trailer because it wouldn’t properly show the game and he knew people would assume the game would take forever to release 

Personally, while I don’t really sympathize with Square Enix getting bit by the rabid dog it created, as they've (Along with AAA gaming) for years been all about the “OMG graphics/hype culture” and set people’s expectations accordingly, so it was inevitably going to happen at some point, I think it’s great that Yoshida decided to go this direction and just show the game on its own merits. 

I hope this will become a standard for Square going forward, but I’m kinda doubting it sadly, given the fan outcry I’m seeing over the visuals.

48 minutes ago, KHCast said:

given the fan outcry I’m seeing over the visuals.

What about the visuals?

9 minutes ago, Nina Cortex Jovahexeon said:

What about the visuals?

People bitching about how the graphics aren’t some boundary pushing thing, cause I guess some people were expecting a CGI/bullshot trailer that would give them false expectations. Or I guess, people are more upset that this is how they’re presenting the game to start. Or maybe it’s a combination of the two. Either way, it probably isn’t giving Square much confidence in doing this type of reveal for all their projects going forward, though I’d love to be proven wrong 

1 hour ago, KHCast said:

Yoshida specifically avoided a CGI/pre-rendered trailer because it wouldn’t properly show the game and he knew people would assume the game would take forever to release 

Personally, while I don’t really sympathize with Square Enix getting bit by the rabid dog it created, as they've (Along with AAA gaming) for years been all about the “OMG graphics/hype culture” and set people’s expectations accordingly, so it was inevitably going to happen at some point, I think it’s great that Yoshida decided to go this direction and just show the game on its own merits. 

I hope this will become a standard for Square going forward, but I’m kinda doubting it sadly, given the fan outcry I’m seeing over the visuals.

I mean, it is a work-in-progress, what are the odds the game won't look better when they next show it?