Jump to content
Sign in to follow this  
StarWarsSonic

Many Questions about Knuckles and the Echidnas/Knuckles clan

Recommended Posts

https://sonic.fandom.com/wiki/Knuckles_Clan according to this, the Knuckles clan existed over 4,000 years ago and were wiped out by Chaos.

Firstly I understand there are no set answers to these questions until Sega officially answers them in the official game canon. However, I would like to see people’s theories on the following questions to spark up an interesting discussion.
 

1) How is it that 4,000 years later that Knuckles is somehow alive and is the last of his kind? How how could he be alive thousands of years after his race was wiped out?

2) If somehow a few Echidnas survived throughout those thousands of years (even though Chaos had apparently wiped them all out) what happened to those survivors as well as his parents now in the present day as none are to be found anywhere?

3) Did Knuckles parents  teach Knuckles how to be the new guardian of the Master Emerald? or was it somehow a natural instinct?

4) Why is Knuckles so sure he is the last of his kind? Is it because he has never seen another Echidna? Did his parents or guardians tell him he was the last? If he has never seen another of his race, how was he even born and raised? Pretty sure a baby unprotected would not survive predators and the elements. 

5) Why is Knuckles even the guardian in the first place? The Master Emerald is connected to and belongs to Chaos. The Master Emerald never belonged to the Echidna’s which is why they went to steal it. So why would it even be Knuckles responsibly to protect it?

 

I know Sonic Chronicles went into different clans but that game was from BioWare and is not canon so I’m afraid it doesn’t count.

im just looking for possible theories that could be canon if Sega ever decided to answer them in a future game.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, StarWarsSonic said:

5) Why is Knuckles even the guardian in the first place? The Master Emerald is connected to and belongs to Chaos. The Master Emerald never belonged to the Echidna’s which is why they went to steal it. So why would it even be Knuckles responsibly to protect it?

No one else was around to do it.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
11 hours ago, StarWarsSonic said:

https://sonic.fandom.com/wiki/Knuckles_Clan according to this, the Knuckles clan existed over 4,000 years ago and were wiped out by Chaos.

Firstly I understand there are no set answers to these questions until Sega officially answers them in the official game canon. However, I would like to see people’s theories on the following questions to spark up an interesting discussion.
 

1) How is it that 4,000 years later that Knuckles is somehow alive and is the last of his kind? How how could he be alive thousands of years after his race was wiped out?

2) If somehow a few Echidnas survived throughout those thousands of years (even though Chaos had apparently wiped them all out) what happened to those survivors as well as his parents now in the present day as none are to be found anywhere?

There we're likely a handful of survivors who struggled to get by for a couple of generations before seemingly dying out. Someone had to make those murals and leave Knuckles behind to be born on Angel Island, after all.

I've also seen a theory that Knuckles may in fact have been spawn/preserved by the Master Emerald itself. Which is interesting considering not only are red and magenta contrasting colors of green, but Knuckles himself was originally intended to be green as well.

 

Quote

3) Did Knuckles parents  teach Knuckles how to be the new guardian of the Master Emerald? or was it somehow a natural instinct?

Natural Instinct and possibly a mural or two.

Quote

4) Why is Knuckles so sure he is the last of his kind? Is it because he has never seen another Echidna? Did his parents or guardians tell him he was the last? If he has never seen another of his race, how was he even born and raised? Pretty sure a baby unprotected would not survive predators and the elements. 

That's raises an interesting question: is Knuckles truly the last one or did we simply assume that in the context of  Sonic 3 and Adventure, the latter of which only focuses the Knuckle Tribe specifically?

Because characters like Rouge, Dodon Pa, and if I'm not mistaken Blaze clearly know what an Echidna is despite lacking any notable archeologist ties.

Quote

5) Why is Knuckles even the guardian in the first place? The Master Emerald is connected to and belongs to Chaos. The Master Emerald never belonged to the Echidna’s which is why they went to steal it. So why would it even be Knuckles responsibly to protect it?

 

I know Sonic Chronicles went into different clans but that game was from BioWare and is not canon so I’m afraid it doesn’t count.

im just looking for possible theories that could be canon if Sega ever decided to answer them in a future game.

Because it's theirs as far as history remembers and it's a key part of what legacy was left to him.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
11 hours ago, StarWarsSonic said:

1) How is it that 4,000 years later that Knuckles is somehow alive and is the last of his kind? How how could he be alive thousands of years after his race was wiped out?

5) Why is Knuckles even the guardian in the first place? The Master Emerald is connected to and belongs to Chaos. The Master Emerald never belonged to the Echidna’s which is why they went to steal it. So why would it even be Knuckles responsibly to protect it?

These two questions were answered in the Japanese strategy guide for Sonic Adventure. It's a common misconception that Knuckles' entire race was wiped out by Chaos.

The End of Arrogance
The Knuckles clan took a devastating blow from Chaos's attack, and their power weakens significantly. The surviving Knuckles clan suspended the Emeralds' altar area into the sky by the Master Emerald's power and lived there, bearing the duty of observing and protecting the sealed Master Emerald, so that an incident like this never happens again. They also left murals and inscriptions in the temple to communicate this incident to future generations. The Chao were also on the verge of extinction with the Chaos Emeralds lost, but mere numbers have managed to find lands with suitable environments and barely survive.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, Plumbers_Helper said:

These two questions were answered in the Japanese strategy guide for Sonic Adventure. It's a common misconception that Knuckles' entire race was wiped out by Chaos.

The End of Arrogance
The Knuckles clan took a devastating blow from Chaos's attack, and their power weakens significantly. The surviving Knuckles clan suspended the Emeralds' altar area into the sky by the Master Emerald's power and lived there, bearing the duty of observing and protecting the sealed Master Emerald, so that an incident like this never happens again. They also left murals and inscriptions in the temple to communicate this incident to future generations. The Chao were also on the verge of extinction with the Chaos Emeralds lost, but mere numbers have managed to find lands with suitable environments and barely survive.

As for what happened to the rest, even disregarding Chronicles, perhaps the Chaos Emeralds we’re unruly, as seen with what happened to the populations of Westside Island and Mirage Island?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
19 hours ago, Plumbers_Helper said:

These two questions were answered in the Japanese strategy guide for Sonic Adventure. It's a common misconception that Knuckles' entire race was wiped out by Chaos.

The End of Arrogance
The Knuckles clan took a devastating blow from Chaos's attack, and their power weakens significantly. The surviving Knuckles clan suspended the Emeralds' altar area into the sky by the Master Emerald's power and lived there, bearing the duty of observing and protecting the sealed Master Emerald, so that an incident like this never happens again. They also left murals and inscriptions in the temple to communicate this incident to future generations. The Chao were also on the verge of extinction with the Chaos Emeralds lost, but mere numbers have managed to find lands with suitable environments and barely survive.

That’s interesting! I never read the strategy guide.

so so you think Knuckles really is the last of his kind or do you think there may still be a few Echidna’s scattered around?

It also brings up the question of where Knuckles parents are?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 9/22/2020 at 12:31 PM, StarWarsSonic said:

so so you think Knuckles really is the last of his kind or do you think there may still be a few Echidna’s scattered around?

It also brings up the question of where Knuckles parents are?

It's possible, we don't know if the Knuckles clan were the only echidnas or not. The strategy guide only says they were at war with "neighboring countries" - not if they were at war with other echidnas. How much of Sonic Chronicles is still canon is unknown, so I can't help with that either.

As for Knuckles parents, that's unknown too. Since echidnas in real life lay eggs, it's possible his parents perished before he was born. The Japanese manual for Sonic 3 says Knuckles is friends with the animals on Angel Island (and the series has shown that these animals are sentient and intelligent beings) they even have a nickname for him "Knuckle". This is all speculation and not canon, but maybe the animals on the island are the one's that cared for and raised him into the Master Emerald guardian he is. Sonic Runners even confirms the animals on Angel Island (and Omochao) are the ones that guard the Master Emerald when Knuckles is away.
knucklesemeraldfinal2.thumb.jpg.8289a25b546e336dbd9a97a24f6b42d1.jpg

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 9/21/2020 at 1:59 AM, StarWarsSonic said:

https://sonic.fandom.com/wiki/Knuckles_Clan according to this, the Knuckles clan existed over 4,000 years ago and were wiped out by Chaos.

Firstly I understand there are no set answers to these questions until Sega officially answers them in the official game canon. However, I would like to see people’s theories on the following questions to spark up an interesting discussion.
 

1) How is it that 4,000 years later that Knuckles is somehow alive and is the last of his kind? How how could he be alive thousands of years after his race was wiped out?

2) If somehow a few Echidnas survived throughout those thousands of years (even though Chaos had apparently wiped them all out) what happened to those survivors as well as his parents now in the present day as none are to be found anywhere?

3) Did Knuckles parents  teach Knuckles how to be the new guardian of the Master Emerald? or was it somehow a natural instinct?

4) Why is Knuckles so sure he is the last of his kind? Is it because he has never seen another Echidna? Did his parents or guardians tell him he was the last? If he has never seen another of his race, how was he even born and raised? Pretty sure a baby unprotected would not survive predators and the elements. 

5) Why is Knuckles even the guardian in the first place? The Master Emerald is connected to and belongs to Chaos. The Master Emerald never belonged to the Echidna’s which is why they went to steal it. So why would it even be Knuckles responsibly to protect it?

 

I know Sonic Chronicles went into different clans but that game was from BioWare and is not canon so I’m afraid it doesn’t count.

im just looking for possible theories that could be canon if Sega ever decided to answer them in a future game.

Knuckles may suffer from the notion he is the last Echidna, but find out there are more. I know in the Sonic The Hedgehog Movie (2020) we see what looks like many Echidnas when Sonic is a little tike: 

B234201A-9CC8-4CB2-B3A7-7B9889EB4C7A.thumb.jpeg.67782a4b7f2e313d51fe32c2224b83aa.jpeg

74B5CB73-6362-4D13-8F36-C6CE771E00E7.jpeg.7e79550c8292cf7dba3ce59ec3438284.jpeg

Which makes me wonder if SEGA will go the film route with many Echidnas in the future instead of Knux being the last. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
16 hours ago, Shadow Chaos Control said:

Did Enerjak kill a lot of Echidnas? I feel like he did. 

In ancient times? Maybe.

 

In Dimitri's day, doubtful. He was more about overthrowing the Ministery and his brother to use technology to rework Echidnaopolis and every move he made was quickly countered by the Fire ants, Ancient Walkers, and finally Mogul.

 

And with Knuckles, he absolutely didn't, as he was acting as a protector who knew better and thus mostly moved people around or altered them. Except for Kage, who's a dingo anyway.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 minutes ago, DabigRG said:

In ancient times? Maybe.

 

In Dimitri's day, doubtful. He was more about overthrowing the Ministery and his brother to use technology to rework Echidnaopolis and every move he made was quickly countered by the Fire ants, Ancient Walkers, and finally Mogul.

 

And with Knuckles, he absolutely didn't, as he was acting as a protector who knew better and thus mostly moved people around or altered them. Except for Kage, who's a dingo anyway.

Enerjak could be an easy villian with all those Echidnas in 2020 film. He could be leading Knuckles and the tribe, he wants Sonic’s power to accelerate his plans for Echidnaopolis. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
53 minutes ago, Shadow Chaos Control said:

Enerjak could be an easy villian with all those Echidnas in 2020 film. He could be leading Knuckles and the tribe, he wants Sonic’s power to accelerate his plans for Echidnaopolis. 

 He could be. Except he can't, because of legal issues.

Plus, they're most likely gonna stick with Pachamac or some expy of him.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Sign in to follow this  

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.

×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information

You must read and accept our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy to continue using this website. We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.