Awoo.

Eight Legged Freaks

Cortez

With all the anti-spider sentiments in this thread, maybe we need one people are less likely to hate. One that didn't exist in 2009...

JoltikEatingPopcorn.png

Nom.

• Thumbs Up 1

My god, I cannot stand spiders one bit. I was traumatized at an early age after nearly coming in contact with a Banana Spider at the park. More recently though we've been finding what we think are small Huntsman Spiders at my school, which really gives me the creeps.

Though roaches are probably just as bad for me. The fucking bastards nest outside my house under leaves that we can't rid of because our trees apparently loose their leaves year round (It's spring and our yard still looks like we're in the middle of fall). What they also do is climb up trees and then fly over onto our roof and get into our attic. Sometime last year we had a really bad infestation of them, to the point where you couldn't go more than an hour without finding one, and you could hear them sliding down pipes and scampering around in the attic when you sat in the bathroom for too long. Also turning on the bath's faucet would result in more roaches coming out than water, and to this day I'm perplexed as to how they even got in there. At this point I've learned to kill roaches as cruelly as possible, because sometimes even when they seem to be dead after a single hit with a shoe they'll hop right up and scurry off once more. So I always smooch em until you can see all their blood, internal juices, and organs pop out. Sure it's gross but its far better than having to live with that thing getting everywhere.

Oh spiders. Oh can I talk about thee? With fear? Paranoia? Horror? terror? Yes, all of those. I hate these things. They scare the hell out of me. All bugs(Though spiders are arachnids) creep me out but I can stand most of them. Ants aren't bad and I love ladybugs(So cute~ <3). But they're all so icky to look at. So oddly shaped and crunchy.

One time I found a spider the size of a fucking tarantula in the bathroom when I was a little kid. That scared me when it came to arachnids. One time at school there was a jumping one. Damn thing can jump half the height of a grown man. it's ridiculous.

Another thing that scarred me when it came to spiders was when, when i was a little kid, there was an egg nest outside our house. We were too afraid to touch it. Well, it hatched and guess where all the baby spiders went? My room. Thousands of them were on the ceiling and hanging when I walked in to my room one day. It terrified me and increased my paranoia. Still, for some reason I can't remember, my parents did nothing. I stayed away from my room(Which is the only place they stayed). But at some point, it made me snap. You ever know those funny played for comedy mental breakdowns cartoon characters have in shows like MLPFiM? That's what happened to little old me. i was only a little kid and these spiders made something snap. To coped with it, I gave them names and started talking to them as if they could understand and as if they were friends. I was able to even stay in them room for minutes at a time with spiders above my head. One day, I came in to the room and they were all gone and there was only one thing on the ceiling. A ladybug. From that day on, I loved ladybugs.

On another traumatizing moment for little me, I once was in California and I saw a bee. Thinking it was a fly, and having not developed my fear of bugs yet, I crushed it by slapping my hands around it. That went as well as one would think and I think that's what started my bug paranoia and phobia though it's not the only cause.

*shudder*

Chtulhu got nothin' on the average insect seen up close. I'm glad I live in a part of the world where exactly zero spiders are poisonous, none of them bite, and none of them get bigger than your thumb. It's like the anti-Australia up here.

I'm a pussy around wasps, though. And bees. Bumblebees are harmless, but the similar noise they make gives me the creeps.

These, Cellar Spiders, I usually kill, because they are a pain to catch.

pholcus_rovner.jpg

I saw one of these guys yesterday when I was in the shower!

He came down on a thread like "Hey what's going on in here," and I thought he was gonna get caught in the water or movement of steam and die horribly in the drain. But he retreated back up to the corner of the room.

My girlfriend actually is into spiders, and I don't mind 'em so we let them slide.

And now I've also been reminded of my cousin. She had Hissing Cockroaches as pets for a time (they don't live long though). And she isn't even the sister out of the two cousins who did animal husbandry, she's the film and media graduate!

I'm fine with most spiders (barring the poisonous ones) and most insects (except roaches).

For me, my arthropod enemy is a many, many legged freak...

House centipedes, hell, centipedes in general, freak me right the hell out. Their bodies may be small, but their ungodly number of legs make them seem huge, they run at extremely fast speeds, and they bite. Uuuuugh, just thinking about them makes me a bit jumpy.

• Thumbs Up 1

Forget, Spiders what about Giant Big Ass Asian Hortnet/Wasps? Now those are freaky.blink.png

I used have a big phobia of Moths! sleep.png

I remember one time I was getting ready to take a shower, and as I pulled out a clean pair of underwear, a spider (a pretty damn big one at that) fell out and started crawling everywhere.

God that was absolutely terrifying.

• Thumbs Up 5

Only ladybugs, butterflies, and bumblebees are tolerable in my house and personal space, and with bumblebees it's a shaky existence. Every other arthropod on this planet can gladly go die in a fire for all I care, spiders and cockroaches/water bugs especially. This intolerance stems directly from when I found a water bug thing in my wash cloth. Motherfucker dropped in the sink from my hands and scared the shit out of me. Screw bugs.

Oh yeah, Eight Legged Freaks that movie was too ridiculous.

Oh wait, a general spiders thread? I cannot stand these things. I will panic, palpitate and maybe pass out if I'm in the vicinity of a big one, around the size of a dime or bigger. I blame my dad for this phobia since he forced me to watch Arachnophobia at a young age. Everytime I have an itch I think it's a spider that got on me. I can barely even look at pictures of them it freaks me out so much. Like it or not though, they're the reason the earth hasn't been overpopulated with other insects, but why do some of them have to so damn big? There's no reason why goliath bird eaters or camel spiders should exists, they are the size of dinner plates! If I ever see one of them I will start shooting. Wasps suck but I can just whack them away. Spiders though are so quick and unpredictable that they can be on the other side of the room in a milisecond and maybe that's what I hate the most about them. And wasps aren't the only aggressors, there is a huge species of spider in Australia that actually CHASES humans if they see you! Australia is the one place in the world I will never go to because of that and because all the spiders there are so big that they have life bars, arachnophobes don't go to hell when they die, they go to Australia.

TL;DR I don't like them

Edited by Prince Solaris
  • Thumbs Up 1

Every other arthropod on this planet can gladly go die in a fire for all I care, spiders and cockroaches/water bugs especially. This intolerance stems directly from when I found a water bug thing in my wash cloth. Motherfucker dropped in the sink from my hands and scared the shit out of me.

... Yeah, this is pretty much why I despise cockroaches/waterbugs, especially after that one time I nearly choked on one when it tried to use my sleeping mouth as a hidey-hole.

I generally leave Spiders alone as long as they stay out of my vicinity, roaches I have a very clear phobia of, partially because one of my previous houses was infested with the little bastards; I woke up one night and like two big ones were under my pillow, didn't sleep the rest of the night(and I was 8 mind you). I'm more tolerant of them nowadays, but still I freak the fuck out if one is on me.

But Bedbugs can go fuck themselves, those bastards caused me to lose so many nights of sleep, and its creepy as fuck to wake up in the middle of the night, itching like there's no tomorrow, flick the light and find about ten of those bastards making a meal out of your flesh.

• Thumbs Up 1

This topic is really freaking me out. Just looking at some pictures of spiders on my computer screen scares me.

It's the venom that kills you, not the sheer size of them. It's not uncommon for smaller spiders to be much, much more lethal than the bigger ones, so it's not entirely unjustified to be frightened of the smaller species out there, particularly when you're not personally familiar with the ones that are poisonous, even if not to a lethal degree.

Speaking of big spiders...

3031851813_08d355f2dc.jpg

I'm actually not afraid of spiders and as long as they stay away from me then it is fine. But if for some reason they get a little too close I try to catch them and put them outside. I've been doing that since I was a little kid until now. I can't see myself killing spiders or any other bugs just because. So I just catch them and let them go when I can. Except for roaches; those bastards have got to go. They get no mercy from me whatsoever.

Jesus Christ! I'm glad I live in Las Vegas where we hardly ever have any huge ass bugs. We mostly get ants or crickets but some people who live closer to the desert areas tend to get spiders, snakes or scorpions every once in awhile.

I wish I could talk to Spiders especially big ones and say "Er, no offence mate, your big and I respect that but could you maybe live outside, yeah I don't want to hurt you". sleep.png

Little ones I don't mind so much, you don't get any poisonous were I live.

Also I am the only who imagines spiders have a voice like this?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cx0KSqKOzUE

Count me as another who hates spiders. It doesn't help that one had the balls or whatever to crawl up my face when I was younger.

Thankfully, for the most part I don't encounter many medium/big sized spiders where I live. Only small ones I see occasionally, that stay out of sight in the corner.

I don't mess with spiders as long as they don't mess with me (including leaving me, my room, my stuff, and to a lesser extent the rest of our house alone).

EDIT: Copypasta from The Bug Topic like a boss.

I remember playing with some toy cars in one of the houses we used to live in back in England around a decade ago, one of them got stuck in the corner and there was this big black thing next to it. I wasn't really concerned much about it, I was more bothered that I couldn't reach my car. So I called my grandma to get the car with the broom, and as she started brushing the car out HOLY FUCK THE BLACK THING STARTED MOVING. I'm still not 100% sure what it was, but I'm pretty sure it was a tarantula. Brrrr. Seconds after the thing started moving I fled back to my bedroom ASAP. >_<

Edited by Zinos

Wow this thread is still alive!? Kinda scared to scroll back through the pages though for fear of images xD...

To coped with it, I gave them names and started talking to them as if they could understand and as if they were friends. I was able to even stay in them room for minutes at a time with spiders above my head.
I heard this for the first time yesterday from someone as well, giving them names helps you get over your fear apparently but well... no I'd rather not.

Had to help my Dad out with some painting up a scaffold yesterday and I never realised how scary bricks were until then! While painting a wall a little bug came out of a hole and then a bunch of LEGS came straight out of another hole, a massive spider ran out, grabbed the bug and ran back into the hole so quickly!! I was horrified!!

• Thumbs Up 1

I heard this for the first time yesterday from someone as well, giving them names helps you get over your fear apparently but well... no I'd rather not.

It didn't get me over my fear at all. It's more like those mental breakdowns cartoon characters have. More like refuge in insanity. I still can't believe I even stepped in that room with those hundreds, maybe thousands of spiders on the ceiling and walls and hanging from webs. I guess it was because most of them stayed on the ceiling and as a little kid, I was short. But still, the whole ceiling was a black mass of arachnids.

The fear came back, probably even stronger, but, at that point, being arachnophobic and having my whole room filled with spiders, something snapped. It was like my mind just blew up and I was in lala land. I just took it at face value and tried to be normal in that room as long as the spiders didn't touch me. None ever did to my knowledge. they left me along and I left them alone. I still freaked out whenever one started moving down on a web.\

• 3 weeks later...

^ I saw that vid on Ridiculessness! I hope that kid's okay o.o

Reading the first post; I would have just pissed myself when seeing the giant spider so

question on what to do next wouldn't be a problem for me.

As I would have no use to be needing in that little bathroom anymore.

All that would need to be done next would be to change pants and such. 'x]

Other than spider related incidences..... I've had way, waaay too many to name all of them.

But I do re-call one when I was little, maybe around 5 - 7 years old, Idk.

My mother was headin' to our backyard late one night to take out the trash. Being the wanna-be

big girl child I was, I decided it'd be a great idea to follow her outside to help her !

HUGE. MF'ING. MISTAKE.

So, we're goin' outside, putting the trash in and whatnot, everything was fine, and then suddenly...

there's this, HUGE, DISGUSTING, WOLF SPIDER( I think it was a wolf spider anyways), RIGHT INFRONT OF US.

Oh.. my God, that thing looked like it could eat me ! It was SO BIG...

I quickly jumped on my moms back, clung to her, screaming while she held the trash bag, STILL.

So she had me ontop of her, holding this huge bag of trash, having to fight this evil wolf spider.

Weapon of choice against it ? A bat. Yes... we had to kill it, with A BAT.

And even with that darn bat..... it was not an easy task.

That was one monsterous spider.. sdfghjklfsdkhjksagfs. ;n;'

Needless to say; I never attempted to help her with the trash evereverever again.

Edited by KaleidoKitty