Awoo.

What if Square Enix made a Sonic RPG?

EmTiven01

We've already seen BioWare take a crack at a Sonic RPG, (to not so great results) what if Sega hired the creators of Final Fantasy and Dragon Quest to make another RPG starring the Blue Blur?

Given Sonic's emphasis on speed, I think a Sonic RPG by SE should have a fast-paced real time battle system akin to that of Kingdom Hearts. Not to mention the composer should be someone who has done the music for some of Square's most famous games. (I'd go with Yasunori Mitsuda of Chrono Trigger fame)

I could imagine something like Paper Mario. But like Final Fantasy could work, really the only speed elements would need to be in combat like a spin dash and running in a free roam open world like Elder Scrolls. 

Good point @Nathan

However, SEGA has not as of yet tried to do a larger scale Sonic RPG on a major console and PC/Mac. I think it would be worthwhile, Paper Mario is a highly successful RP in SMB universe. 

• Thumbs Up 2

I'm trying to think of a Sonic RPG where Sonic can run around and defeat enemies in a fast pace style...

and I keep picturing Sonic Heroes...

Is it really bad for a traditional turn based Sonic RPG or TCG to exist?

2 hours ago, Sonictrainer said:

I'm trying to think of a Sonic RPG where Sonic can run around and defeat enemies in a fast pace style...

and I keep picturing Sonic Heroes...

Is it really bad for a traditional turn based Sonic RPG or TCG to exist?

If it was turn based it’d need to be the pace of Star Wars: Knights of the Old Republic I and II. 

I'm seeing shades of FF15. A vast open world, with occasional breaks of real time combat. Tails can scavenge parts from destroyed enemies for making up new items.

• Thumbs Up 2

I’d love an open world Sonic game like Elder Scrolls IV: Oblivion, but that plays like Adventure One crossed with some KOTOR elements. 

How would leveling up work? 

I can see Sonic upgrading himself like Sonic Adventure 2. 

If it was more of a Chaotix spin-off, then there'd be less pressure to make a speed based game. The focus would be on exploration. The only issue would be that the script would have to be primarily comedy based, and that's not exactly easy to do.

20 minutes ago, HywelAtTheMoon said:

If it was more of a Chaotix spin-off, then there'd be less pressure to make a speed based game. The focus would be on exploration. The only issue would be that the script would have to be primarily comedy based, and that's not exactly easy to do.

I’d love Shadow the Hedgehog joning Chaotix, he afterall harnesses the power of Chaos. That way you could make Shadow a primary protagonist instead of Somic, with Knuckles as the sidekick, Espio, Vector, and Charmie. 

SEGA are you listening? :) 

I would love to see what Square Enix could do with a Sonic RPG.  I can see them trying to give Sonic a better story than from what we've been seeing in the past few years.  Also, I wonder if the tone of the RPG games would be much darker than the franchise itself since that was the case with the Paper Mario series.

• Thumbs Up 1

I have no idea how Chronicles did it (kind of afraid to check) but when I hear "Sonic RPG" I imagine the non-battle/field section looking like Paper Mario w/ each character having unique abilites to help progress forward, and the battle section looking like Mario & Luigi w/ characters able to combine moves for a unique effect.

• Thumbs Up 1

16 hours ago, KoDaiko said:

I have no idea how Chronicles did it (kind of afraid to check) but when I hear "Sonic RPG" I imagine the non-battle/field section looking like Paper Mario w/ each character having unique abilites to help progress forward, and the battle section looking like Mario & Luigi w/ characters able to combine moves for a unique effect.

That’s be easier to make. Instead of a hammer, Sonic could spin dash.  

To answer the question, it would be amazing.

That is to say: amazing relative to whatever is going on with Sonic at this present moment in time. I'd say yes to a Sonic themed RTS if it meant we got something to end the drought.

• Thumbs Up 3

On 11/3/2020 at 5:39 PM, Rabbitearsblog said:

I would love to see what Square Enix could do with a Sonic RPG.  I can see them trying to give Sonic a better story than from what we've been seeing in the past few years.  Also, I wonder if the tone of the RPG games would be much darker than the franchise itself since that was the case with the Paper Mario series.

That's certainly possible. Especially if the writers of Octopath Traveler are writing the story.

• Fist Bump 1

I always pictured KH2 if going 3D, or Tales of series if 2D. It's fast paced and addicting enough and you can open the menu at anytime in battle for various options

Then again, it's made by Namco, so it probably won't get localized lol

I don't even mind another shot at turn based either. I did like some elements of Chronicles, just a shame it falls apart on many of the most basic departments. 

Since we talking Square though, The World Ends With You is another great but niche action rpg. Various movement options depending on the style of attack and pins you have equipped.

23 hours ago, BadBehavior said:

To answer the question, it would be amazing.

That is to say: amazing relative to whatever is going on with Sonic at this present moment in time. I'd say yes to a Sonic themed RTS if it meant we got something to end the drought.

A VISUAL NOVEL would satisfy at this point (unless it’s too... metahumorous), compared to Team Sonic Racing. 

• Thumbs Up 1

It'd get announced, take a decade to come out, and when it did it'd be the best damn Sonic game I've ever played probably.

• Chuckle 3

32 minutes ago, BadBehavior said:

Maybe PS1 era Square and not "lost ¥6.5 Billion thanks to Avengers" Square

Except that Square didn't actually make the Avengers game themselves.

I would think it's a bad idea. I didn't stand Kingdom Hearts so I don't think I'd stand Sonic Fantasy.

now that I think about it, that doesn't sound like a bad idea. Sonic could use a good RPG, and Square Enix would be a smart choice of a company that Sega could get.

• Thumbs Up 1