Awoo.

(Sonic Movie Topic) Longclaw the Owl

Rabbitearsblog

14 hours ago, Scritch the Cat said:

Longclaw as she existed in that movie was fundamentally tied to the premise that Sonic’s powers can be harnessed by collecting pieces of him, and thus he and those close to him are always in danger;

I wouldn't say that. Eggman is really the only person who showed anything close to the capability of harnessing Sonic's powers. Tom came in direct contact with a quill and nothing happened to him, so there definitely has to be some super-science or magic to stealing sonic's speed. Longclaw couldn't have predicted Eggman, so its more likely that she was worried about what strangers would do to Sonic and/or the people around him if he was discovered.

Rather than the idea of Sonic's powers being harvested, I think this leans more into Shadow's paradox back in 06. Anything seen as too powerful will inevitably be seen as a threat. Sonic's power is unexplained and miraculous. The military had to send in the big guns in case he was a possible threat. The Echidna clan had to neutralize or capture him so that he could never turn against them. The people around him will inevitably be caught in that crossfire.

1 hour ago, Domino said:

i think the real reason Longclaw looks so different from other Sonic characters is because her design is a holdover from the movie's original visual direction. The filmmakers probably didn't think it would be worth it to redo her model when the movie's CG character designs got so drastically course-corrected for Sonic's redesign.

I don't think that is the case either. Longclaw as she is today doesn't conform to any of the designs used in the movie. She doesn't conform to standard mobian anatomy, she doesn't conform to Sonic's alpha design (which I'll refer to as an uggo-psudo-realistic take on mobian anatomy) and she doesn't conform to what we've seen in concept art to the original Lizard warrior whom himself was much more anthro in nature. (although some of Longclaw's concept art does push her closer in that direction).

Longclaw looks different because She's an alien species, so she's not supposed to conform with anything else. Changing Sonic's appearance to what we have now doesn't change that. She's still supposed to be her own thing.

• Thumbs Up 1

On 11/24/2020 at 2:41 PM, Sega DogTagz said:

I wouldn't say that. Eggman is really the only person who showed anything close to the capability of harnessing Sonic's powers. Tom came in direct contact with a quill and nothing happened to him, so there definitely has to be some super-science or magic to stealing sonic's speed. Longclaw couldn't have predicted Eggman, so its more likely that she was worried about what strangers would do to Sonic and/or the people around him if he was discovered.

Rather than the idea of Sonic's powers being harvested, I think this leans more into Shadow's paradox back in 06. Anything seen as too powerful will inevitably be seen as a threat. Sonic's power is unexplained and miraculous. The military had to send in the big guns in case he was a possible threat. The Echidna clan had to neutralize or capture him so that he could never turn against them. The people around him will inevitably be caught in that crossfire.

I was curious about why nothing happened to both Tom and Robotnik when they touched Sonic's quills.  Was it because Sonic's power can only affect non-living things like Robotnik's machines or maybe Tom and Robotnik don't have some sort of chaos energy that Sonic has in his body.  The Chaos Energy thing is just an assumption and I wouldn't be surprised if the sequel explained more about Sonic's powers (which I hope it does because the movie caused a lot more mystery about Sonic's character than the games ever did).

On 11/25/2020 at 12:51 PM, Rabbitearsblog said:

I was curious about why nothing happened to both Tom and Robotnik when they touched Sonic's quills.  Was it because Sonic's power can only affect non-living things like Robotnik's machines or maybe Tom and Robotnik don't have some sort of chaos energy that Sonic has in his body.  The Chaos Energy thing is just an assumption and I wouldn't be surprised if the sequel explained more about Sonic's powers (which I hope it does because the movie caused a lot more mystery about Sonic's character than the games ever did).

Robotnik was shocked when he licked a quill, but it does seem to be a pretty tiny effect for something that can power electronics and overload them in higher doses.

• Thumbs Up 1

I was just thinking, what if it’s revealed that she’s alive in the sequel only for tragedy to strike via Eggman capturing her and roboticizing her? 

1 hour ago, Johnny Boy said:

I was just thinking, what if it’s revealed that she’s alive in the sequel only for tragedy to strike via Eggman capturing her and roboticizing her? 

Hmmmm...I do wonder if they are going in that direction with the sequel.

• 1 month later...
On 11/24/2020 at 11:41 AM, Sega DogTagz said:

I just rewatched the movie for the first time, and that’s not what the dialogue implied.  What Sonic recounted Longclaw warning about him was indeed the possibility of others stealing his powers.  Does that require some means of storing them?   Presumably.  But the people making an attempt at the beginning are echidnas, and I assume they understand energy a bit due to their connection to the Emeralds.  Granted,  we don’t even know the emeralds exist in the movie’s canon, so that postulate might be irrelevant, but if they said that the echidnas could steal Sonic’s power then it’s probably true.

• Thumbs Up 2

On 1/3/2021 at 12:37 AM, Scritch the Cat said:

I just rewatched the movie for the first time, and that’s not what the dialogue implied.  What Sonic recounted Longclaw warning about him was indeed the possibility of others stealing his powers.  Does that require some means of storing them?   Presumably.  But the people making an attempt at the beginning are echidnas, and I assume they understand energy a bit due to their connection to the Emeralds.  Granted,  we don’t even know the emeralds exist in the movie’s canon, so that postulate might be irrelevant, but if they said that the echidnas could steal Sonic’s power then it’s probably true.

It does make me think about how the Echidnas even knew about Sonic's powers in the first place.  Was it because of some kind of prophecy that explained that a hedgehog or some being had great powers and that led the echidnas to try and kidnap Sonic or did the prophecy warn them that Sonic would lead to their undoing?  The movie never explained this, but maybe it will explain it in the sequel, especially since Knuckles will be introduced. 

On 11/22/2020 at 6:58 PM, Angyu said:

When I first saw Longclaw, I was... not a fan. Idk why but something about them shoehorning in a random owl bothered me. I swear I nearly walked out of the cinema when they introduced that story line lol. (Then again, as a Sonic fan, I should be used to that kind of thing.)

But she's growing on me. She's not a bad character, it was just random how Sonic's backstory was made up on the spot like that.

I would have prefered sat-am beginning but who am i kidding they would'nt do that to save their lives!

Giving Sonic a tragic backstory about a parental figure was a weird move that I don’t really feel fits what I know Sonic (the series or the character) for. Also she’s not anywhere near close to a Sonic character in design or proportions, she’s just.. a fantasy owl. Like some Gahoole mess.

Its a firm no from me.

1 hour ago, azoo said:

Giving Sonic a tragic backstory about a parental figure was a weird move that I don’t really feel fits what I know Sonic (the series or the character) for. Also she’s not anywhere near close to a Sonic character in design or proportions, she’s just.. a fantasy owl. Like some Gahoole mess.

Its a firm no from me.

Yeah that was my initial reaction. She sorta grew on me a bit though. Now I just know what to expect from the next movie, so I won't be so taken aback.

12 hours ago, azoo said:

Its a firm no from me.

She was conceived along with that nightmarish original Sonic design, and they didn’t bother changing her appearance.

11 hours ago, Scritch the Cat said:

She was conceived along with that nightmarish original Sonic design, and they didn’t bother changing her appearance.

She doesn't look nightmarish though lol.

44 minutes ago, Angyu said:

She doesn't look nightmarish though lol.

No not really.  At least she doesn't look as bad as Sonic's original design.