Awoo.

AMERICA: 2020

Tornado

Awful lot of family who was ProTrump suddenly went silent yesterday (like literally ALL the men on my mother’s side). I’m not going to push the issue, but it’s still deeply concerning to me that this is what it took. Trump HAS to pay for this, but he still has so many enablers. It’s horrifying.

35 minutes ago, SenEDDtor Missile said:

Still both siding it. Anyone who is still a Trumper at this point is the BAD GUY. PERIOD. If they want to be good guys again, THEY have to dump Trump and his enablers, and do EVERYTHING they can to atone. THEY don't get to play fascist bootlicker and still pretend they're good people.

I never should have said anything on this thread.
from now on i will stay off politics.  I will pray for the USA.
But talk only about Sonic here.

7 hours ago, Sonicstitch said:

I get your point.

But I do not think its one side or the other that's evil.

There are good and bad people on either side.

Any way, its over now and what happens, happens.

Except one side stormed the goddamned Capitol (which is illegal on more levels than I can count) while the other was kept at a distance and never got a foot inside.

Not hard to see which side is the worst side, dude.

• Thumbs Up 1

9 hours ago, Sonicstitch said:

I get your point.

But I do not think its one side or the other that's evil.

There are good and bad people on either side.

Any way, its over now and what happens, happens.

Yeah, no. Screw that noise.

It's up there with "not caring who started it", as one of those buzz phrases of malarkey.

One side didn't incite a seditious attempt at insurrection and try to undermine the election of the people, while also endangering lives in a clear on terrorist action. The other side did all of that and then some. There is no equalizing the two sides in this case.

You don't have to like either one, but you can't equate the two.

• Thumbs Up 4

Well, Trump got about as close to conceding as I expect he ever will, saying there will be a transfer of power on January 20th.

Nobody forget that he incited the attack yesterday with his months of lying about election fraud and outright telling supporters to go to the capitol. He's doing now what he should have done in November. This is on him.

I'm glad to hear he's promising a peaceful transition, but with how shady Trump is, who knows if he has something planned. It doesn't even matter necessarily if he does. His supporters will obviously be planning something, and they are quite unhinged. Hell, even in the speech, he called them "demonstrators". Those weren't demonstrators. They were domestic terrorists, criminals, thugs, etc. It's far too late for any forgiveness that he could garner from this. He's the exact reason this happened. His rhetoric for years has caused this, especially him never backing down with his false lies about the Election being rigged against him. He does not deserve his power. His comments yesterday were disastrous, and this today is obviously something that somebody forced him to say. Nobody goes from "This is what you get for stealing an election!" to what he said today without somebody trying to make him do it. He also didn't send out the National Guard fast, hell, apparently he didn't even send them out. Mike Pence did. As much as I disagree with Mike Pence, I would much rather have him in charge for the remainder of Trump's term. Trump had plenty of chances, way too many chances, to do his job, but he's failed since the beginning. It's time for him to go. He needs to be impeached and removed, barring him from ever holding office again. 

3 hours ago, Winston said:

I'm glad to hear he's promising a peaceful transition, but with how shady Trump is, who knows if he has something planned. It doesn't even matter necessarily if he does. His supporters will obviously be planning something, and they are quite unhinged. Hell, even in the speech, he called them "demonstrators". Those weren't demonstrators. They were domestic terrorists, criminals, thugs, etc. It's far too late for any forgiveness that he could garner from this. He's the exact reason this happened. His rhetoric for years has caused this, especially him never backing down with his false lies about the Election being rigged against him. He does not deserve his power. His comments yesterday were disastrous, and this today is obviously something that somebody forced him to say. Nobody goes from "This is what you get for stealing an election!" to what he said today without somebody trying to make him do it. He also didn't send out the National Guard fast, hell, apparently he didn't even send them out. Mike Pence did. As much as I disagree with Mike Pence, I would much rather have him in charge for the remainder of Trump's term. Trump had plenty of chances, way too many chances, to do his job, but he's failed since the beginning. It's time for him to go. He needs to be impeached and removed, barring him from ever holding office again. 

The Conspiracy theorist in me thinks it's a dogwhistle for

"there will be a peaceful transfer...to MY, Donald Trump's second term and eternal position as president for life."

I just don't trust anything he says, and the Democratic party needs to watch their backs more carefully.

Okay.
I see everyone is angry.
I am too.
I was wrong about things.  
I said things I should not have said and I am sorry.

God help us all.

2 hours ago, Sonicstitch said:

Okay.
I see everyone is angry.
I am too.
I was wrong about things.  
I said things I should not have said and I am sorry.

God help us all.

Honestly the people the most vocal about being "angry" probably weren't directly affected by this at all. Don't feel bad, you did nothing wrong.

Man I just wish all this shit would end though. I wanna go back to having normal online interactions, normal conversations... not all political shit. It's been this way since like 2015 and it just keeps getting worse. Biden is a step in the right (or left I guess lol) direction but he won't magically solve anything. He's just one less thing to complain as much about.

What do other countries think when they see us? When they see our online interactions and drama and whatnot? God I'm just so jealous of people in actual developed countries with somewhat stable politicians and governments.

2 hours ago, Angyu said:

Honestly the people the most vocal about being "angry" probably weren't directly affected by this at all. Don't feel bad, you did nothing wrong.

Man I just wish all this shit would end though. I wanna go back to having normal online interactions, normal conversations... not all political shit. It's been this way since like 2015 and it just keeps getting worse. Biden is a step in the right (or left I guess lol) direction but he won't magically solve anything. He's just one less thing to complain as much about.

What do other countries think when they see us? When they see our online interactions and drama and whatnot? God I'm just so jealous of people in actual developed countries with somewhat stable politicians and governments.

I don't think much countries are interested about what SSMB members have to say about politics. I do'nt have much hope of things getting back to normal in the foreseeable future, because Trump and his loyalists have grown beyond republicanism. Any Republican who goes against Trump even slightly is seen as a traitor to Trump loyalists. Even VP Mike Pence will be viewed as a traitor for getting on with what is constitutionally right and eventually declaring Biden the new president-elect. So long as Trumpism remains, those "people" will ignore the truth, believe any old lie that fits in with the Trump narative, and god knows where it might lead from this point. Can you really see another Republican member of Congress look at what Trump has turned into in the last few months, inciting his fans into breaking into the Capitol Building, putting their colleagues in danger in the middle of a deadly pandemic and say "yep that's who I want to be"? Republicans may never recover from this.

43 minutes ago, PaddyFancy said:

Republicans may never recover from this.

I don't think they will either, at least not for the next decade. They will hold seats in the House and Senate still, but if they hold onto Trump, with people like Cruz seeming to be adamant about, they'll never win the Presidency or maybe even a majority in either chambers of Congress. I could be very wrong though, and I'm not a political expert. The best thing they could do right now is throw Trump away and get rid of the people that have been enabling him for the past four years. The Senators need to step down, the Representative's need to step down. Not all of them, just the ones that have been backing Trump and allowing him to ruin our democracy. Sure, they can't do anything to change the Trump cult's opinions in the U.S., but if they ever want to have a chance to be respected in any way again to regular people, they need to do the right thing first and foremost. America is a changing country. They need to be more progressive if they want anything done, and following a wannabe dictator for the next ten years is not going to help. I'm no Republican by any means, so maybe it's wrong of me to tell them what to do.

It's not the 60's anymore, and they need to realize that. What was so great about America that people want to bring back in that party? Slavery? Segregation? Possible Nuclear War? It's just people wanting to relive the "glory" days for the rest of eternity. You can't claim to be the party of Lincoln and then bring the confederate flag into the fucking Capitol Building. "Make America Great Again" is a slogan for people that have never suffered in their entire lives that can't stand the idea of everyone being happy, or being put closer to it. They want everyone to be miserable except for them, which is why they won't even do the bare minimum of wearing a mask over their face during a global pandemic despite the fact they claim to be "Pro-Life". I don't hate this country, but looking back, America was never really that great to a lot of people. Stating to make it great again is just a desperate outcry from people that don't want to think that others have suffered in this country and never want to actually confront the issues, either out of lack of information or pure hatred. The issues have to be confronted though, as without confronting it, we wouldn't have things like the Civil Rights Act, or the 19th Amendment. I'm sure there's some truly hateful people out there that even hate those two things, but I would like to think that a majority of people support them. It's time that the LGBT+ community finally becomes fully accepted in the Republican Party. It's time that the Republican Party finally acknowledges climate change. It's time that the Republican Party finally acknowledges systematic racism. It's time that they stop wanting to imprison people for smoking marijuana, or hell, just drugs in general. Give them the help they need. There are many more things that they need to acknowledge as well, and these are things that everyone should want them to do. We don't need to go back, we need to move forward. They can handle those issues in their own ways, and that can be where the vote for party goes, but voters shouldn't have to choose between living in the past with the Republicans or moving very slowly towards the future with the Democrats. 

Sorry for the rant. I've been really stressed this week. 

• Thumbs Up 2

Trump's twitter account is FINALLY no more.

• Thumbs Up 3
  • Chuckle 2

4 hours ago, PaddyFancy said:

I don't think much countries are interested about what SSMB members have to say about politics. I do'nt have much hope of things getting back to normal in the foreseeable future, because Trump and his loyalists have grown beyond republicanism. Any Republican who goes against Trump even slightly is seen as a traitor to Trump loyalists. Even VP Mike Pence will be viewed as a traitor for getting on with what is constitutionally right and eventually declaring Biden the new president-elect. So long as Trumpism remains, those "people" will ignore the truth, believe any old lie that fits in with the Trump narative, and god knows where it might lead from this point. Can you really see another Republican member of Congress look at what Trump has turned into in the last few months, inciting his fans into breaking into the Capitol Building, putting their colleagues in danger in the middle of a deadly pandemic and say "yep that's who I want to be"? Republicans may never recover from this.

Come on, you know damn well I wasn't specifically referring to this forum. I meant us as a country. U.S.-based social media in general.

Also, Republicans never recovered after they decided to be anti-LGBT, overly religious (only Christians allowed though!), anti-woman, pro-military, against public services for its citizens... they're a lost cause at this point. They were before Trump.

3 hours ago, Winston said:

It's time that the LGBT+ community finally becomes fully accepted in the Republican Party. It's time that the Republican Party finally acknowledges climate change. It's time that the Republican Party finally acknowledges systematic racism. It's time that they stop wanting to imprison people for smoking marijuana, or hell, just drugs in general. Give them the help they need. There are many more things that they need to acknowledge as well, and these are things that everyone should want them to do. We don't need to go back, we need to move forward. They can handle those issues in their own ways, and that can be where the vote for party goes, but voters shouldn't have to choose between living in the past with the Republicans or moving very slowly towards the future with the Democrats.

Why even have Republicans around at all though? They won't accept all those things you named. Why not just stick with Democrats or- even better- have a more left-wing party as an actual viable option?? Republicans are basically anti-future.

That said, the left wing in the USA is... oof. I am, but like... independently. And because I don't agree with everything on leftist Twitter, I'm apparently a Trump-loving Nazi somehow. Idk. Social media sucks.

20 minutes ago, Angyu said:

Why even have Republicans around at all though? They won't accept all those things you named. Why not just stick with Democrats or- even better- have a more left-wing party as an actual viable option?? Republicans are basically anti-future.

I am sticking with Democrats, but I highly doubt the Republican Party is going to die out anytime soon despite the place they are in now. They are going to either ignore Trump or really stick with him no matter what. As I said, they'll likely be out of power for like ten years maybe when it comes to the Presidency, or until Trump is dead, but even then, there's a bunch-of other Trumps that could run for office. That's why I'm recommending they try to become more progressive to try and fix their party and not make it the Trump Party. The only way forward for that party is to start becoming more progressive, or becoming more hateful. I guess being hateful has been the Republican Party's motto for a very long time though, so I doubt any real change will come. You are right though, they likely won't accept anything I said. The most likely outcome I feel is them just trying to ignore the existence of Trump outside of a few loons, but the higher ups are for sure not going to mention him anymore. Hate will always be a part of it, but they're going to try and hide it better from now on. I'm just hoping right now Trump makes his own party and bites heavily into the GOP's voters. 

I don't really see a new party forming even if it'd be for the best, unless all the Anti-Trump moderate Republican politicians and the more moderate Democrats come together, then I guess there could be a brand new party that is more progressive in that instance, then people like AOC and Bernie could be considered the New Democrats or something. 

This is the problem with a system that heavily favors two-party systems in general though. The Democrats are the only real answer right now, but people will always stick with one party just because they always voted for it. It'd be better to have a multitude of them so at least people don't have to have a choice of voting for a dictator wannabe or the only sane choice, and they pick the dictator because they watch Fox News too much. 

15 hours ago, Jovahexeon Jax Joranvexeon said:

Trump's twitter account is FINALLY no more.

Should've been done earlier tbh. 

And apparantly he tried to ban dodge this, because several other accounts were suspended/deleted as well.

Edit: I kid you not-

• Promotion 1

Everything about this is just infuriating. I hate the excuses, the whataboutism, the hypocrisy, those shifting blame off themselves, the blaise attitudes-- I hate every bit that republicans are doing minimize the fact that this was an insurrection and attempt to overthrow a fair, legitimate election, and that they're to blame for this stain on our country's history.

I want everyone complicit in this failed coup to see a lengthy sentence and forever known as traitors to America.

• Thumbs Up 2

https://www.npr.org/sections/biden-transition-updates/2021/01/18/957802213/bidens-inauguration-is-going-to-look-very-different-heres-what-to-know

I'd feel a lot less anxious if Biden DIDN'T hold this inauguration publicly at all.

If Biden and the other Democratic people there die because of this, then it will be all for nothing. Macho posturing for the sake of "tradition" and "proving you won't be cowed by terrorists" is pure foolishness and arrogance. THEY NEED TO GO VIRTUAL FOR THE SAKE OF THE NATION, not for the sake of a few egos.

This is NOT a normal time. These insurrectionists aren't just a small angry mob. They're embedded in every facet of the government, even within the people who are supposed to protect Biden. Treating it as normal, blindly acting "traditional" is dangerous.

And if someone claims that it's cowardly, remember that Abraham Lincoln had to sneak into his own inauguration during the Civil War.

For Fuck's Sake Biden, you are LITERALLY at the line of starting the end of the Trump Era of Evil. Don't literally pull defeat from the jaws of victory on your Inauguration!

And just like that, Joe Biden is now the new President of the United States. I have the perfect song for this occasion: 

• Chuckle 1

• 3 weeks later...

Saw some of the impeachment today; it's absolutely insane. I knew it was bad, but it's really getting across just how horrific it was.

God, It's just surreal. I can hardly believe this happened, and it's even harder to believe that there are more than enough people who are still enabling this. Just, how in the world does this happen? It's worse than a circus.

There’s something just magical about Biden catching lightning in a bottle over and over and saying something so incredibly fucking stupid and tone deaf about black people or other marginalized communities.

“Crazy how we have bi-racial couples in tv ads now. And gay Oreos! Can you imagine? Now that is progress”

• 2 weeks later...

Ro Khanna was absolutely right to call out the Senate Parlimentarian for having so much power to advise against giving 32 million Americans more of a wage.

Jayapal was right to call out this shit excuse then and now after the ruling, too.

"It's been 12 years since we've raised the minimum wage, and if we're going to make those promises, we have to be able to deliver on them," Jayapal said. "Because, I'll tell you what, in two years... when people vote in the midterms, you're not gonna be able to say, 'Well, I'm sorry, we couldn't raise the minimum wage because the parliamentarian ruled that we couldn't do it.' That's not gonna fly."

Poverty is a policy choice. Establishment Dems and the Biden administration are fighting twenty times harder to try to get one Republican to confirm Neera Tanden than to raise the wage. It's one thing to fight equally hard for both. But to surrender the fight on the wage is stupid. Voters care more about the results than the process; they want the folks they voted for to get the job done, and they need help NOW.

If Biden and Harris care about raising the minimum wage and helping millions of desperate Americans, then the VP should overrule Elizabeth MacDonough and dare Manchin and Sinema to go against her and their constituents. If nothing gets done and the excuse they give to their constituents is the Parlimentarian ruled against it on technicality, you're only telling them you care more about your career and your donors than the people who voted for you, and you don't deserve to be in politics.

Unless the Republican Party splinters into two, Dems will LOSE in 2022 and/or '24 if popular progressive legislation like the minimum wage increase doesn't get passed, and they'll deserve it.

• Thumbs Up 5

• 5 months later...

If you live in California, keep in mind that the Recall Election for Gavin Newsom is coming up soon (I believe the deadline is September 14th) https://www.sos.ca.gov/elections/voting-resources/voting-california/election-dates-and-resources

Vote NO for the recall, because quite frankly many of the polls implies that the likely replacement governor is Larry Elder, a right wing ANTI-VAXXER who one of his goals is to reduce the minimum wage to $0 on top of consistently advocating for the elimination of social security, medicare, welfare and all corporate taxes. And there are still A LOT of awful right wing alternatives on the ballot who are pretty much just as bad in many aspects.

But that said, if by some horrid luck the YES vote is higher than the NO vote, MAKE SURE YOU PUT A NAME FROM THE CANDIDATE LIST FOR YOUR CHOICE OF CANDIDATE to replace Newsom for the second question:

The recall election will present voters with two questions. The first will ask whether Newsom should be recalled from the office of governor. The second will ask who should succeed Newsom if he is recalled. A majority vote is required on the first question for the governor to be recalled. The candidate with the most votes on the second question would win the election, no majority required.

Seriously though, don't vote for ANY of the right wingers, unless you've already conveniently forgotten just how much damage they overall caused to the country in the past 4 years. I do not want ANY of those nutjobs in control of California, let alone giving the GQP MORE control.

If you hate Newsom, that’s fine, but vote him out in the official elections within the next year, not in this blatant Republican/GQP power grab. He’s got his problems, but the GQP ARE WORSE in every aspect.

EDIT: Also, keep in mind that whoever is governor can replace Feinstein, who might be retiring eventually. This means that whoever is Governor can essentially flip the Senate to the GQP/Republicans.

EDIT: Also we really need to change the title to something easier to find. I kept on trying to figure out where the Politics Topic was for a good few minutes before I remembered it was closed.

• Thumbs Up 2
  • My Emmerdoods 1

• 1 month later...

$100/€117 says Australia buys the F-35 next year.

Edited by CrownSlayer’s Shadow
...that’s a sucker’s bet, isn’t it? Googled it and realized they’ve already done that.

• 1 month later...

I fucking hate the fact that Rittenhouse is likely gonna walk free. He’s in a stacked trial that’s in his favor, and somehow has convinced a larger number of people since the incident that he’s pure and innocent and only acted in self defense. I’ve seen a TON of “I support BLM but he totally acted in self defense” takes now, and all I gotta say to those people are, no, you don’t support us. 

• Thumbs Up 1