Awoo.

For some reason, I've just been really interested in Sonic CD again.

RobertAkio

It's as the title implies. I've been getting rather interested in Sonic CD again. And man, despite playing a version with the nerfed spindash, and the questionable ways levels can be at times, it was a blast to revisit. I even managed to unlock the D.A garden in it now. And can I just say, I love how the game has so many color pallets? It can make for a very unique atmosphere at times.

• Thumbs Up 1

CD is a truly fascinating window into both the conceptual foundations of Sonic 1 as well as the dramatic contrast between the Naka-led direct sequel to Sonic 1 and the Ohshiima-led direct sequel to Sonic 1. As a game it's pretty eh, even though the Taxman remame fixes a fair few of its niggles; but as an experience it's a very interesting one. 

• Nice Smile 1

Yep. Sonic CD is indeed a interesting game. Also a more atmospheric game than the others with the time travel the game has. Like, even just the image of Sonic racing Metal Sonic in the bad and good future make for very different kinds of moods.

Then there's just listening to the soundtrack, which is yet another unique thing. And wow, I had only just gotten to see a true Sonic CD experience thanks to an emulator of the Sega CD version. The teal color of water in Tidal Tempest does look really good as well. Speaking of, how do you think Sonic 3 and Knuckles would be different if made on the Sega CD? Do you think it wouldn't have been split into two games?

Frankly Sonic CD was the game that directly got me into the franchise. I had played Sonic games before that but I was more into Mario during my younger days. IDK there was something about CD's style, atmosphere and music. Also it intruduces 2 good characters which are Amy and Metal Sonic. When Amy got kidnapped on CC act 1 it was really cool moment.

I like to play CD to this very day.

• Thumbs Up 2

Really? Sonic CD was what got you into the Sonic series? Cool. Glad you were able to be interested in Sonic from Sonic CD. I still think it has questionable things with its level design, but the game is still neat nonetheless.

• Thumbs Up 1

CD was my gateway into the series as well. There really isn't anything like it in terms of personality and style; it's such a singular artifact and one of my comfiest games. People like to rag on its level design and, while I agree that it doesn't always facilitate the time travel mechanic, the challenge makes success all the more gratifying. It's funny that Sonic gameplay finally 'clicked' for me in the game fans tout as having the worst level design, but honestly, it really works for me; I get more frustrated playing Sonic 3. Everyone likes to rag on Wacky Workbench, but no one wants to admit how much of a slog Marble Garden Zone is! (Kidding.)

Sort of.

• Thumbs Up 1

22 hours ago, RobertAkio said:

Really? Sonic CD was what got you into the Sonic series? Cool. Glad you were able to be interested in Sonic from Sonic CD. I still think it has questionable things with its level design, but the game is still neat nonetheless.

Yes, this is how it was. I was visiting my friend who owned Sonic Gems collection for PS2 and he showed me some CD gameplay. To that day I hadn't really been into Sonic but something changed then. To this day it remains a classic for me.

I think we can all agree Marble Garden and Wacky Workbench are some of the worst Sonic zones in history. But there are zones that are better. Now Quartz Quadrant does feel like a straight line. I do have to say that about it. Feels very flat there.

• Thumbs Up 1

9 hours ago, RobertAkio said:

I think we can all agree Marble Garden and Wacky Workbench are some of the worst Sonic zones in history. But there are zones that are better. Now Quartz Quadrant does feel like a straight line. I do have to say that about it. Feels very flat there.

I would also like to add Labyrinth Zone.

Yeah. We can add labyrinth to that. But it does show that not many zones there are bad. Now what I can say is that I do really like how the bosses can be. Egg chicken walker aside. Like, Quartz Quadrants boss is really cool.

I love Sonic CD, and come back to it all the time. What it might lack in level design, it more than makes up for in the gloriously alien aesthetic design of each zone, and the excellent music that accompanies them.

It also has my favorite of all the Special Stages. For all the different fan games out there, I'd love one that's just more of those.