Awoo.

Could a Devil-type character in Sonic work?

EmTiven01

1 hour ago, KoDaiko said:

Ok so the conclusion here is that yes, devils/demons are fine and would totally work in Sonic (but would need a lot of good writing). But I forgot to answer EmTiven01's specific question/fan idea.

We can have a literal cultish demon-looking guy (secretly an elderitch blob monster) with god powers and his own set of minions who can easily toy with the main characters. But I need to ask: why make an extremely condensed, straightforward stereotype devil design & character? Wouldn't that be a bit boring?

These are just general questions/comments. May add more later (under spoiler cuz long):

Hide contents
  • Didn't Shadow move on from his past? Would he still be shaken, or will he be upset/angry for thinking a petty trick would work on him?
  • Why would "his schemes should be more petty and personal" if he's a literal demon with god-like power & forms?
  • What is his weakness/flaws? 
  • Would the main cast listen to him if he looks so evil?
  • I feel the character would have to be one-time if it has all the traits you mentioned. It's not fun to have a character that's more powerful than the main villain be reoccuring. And Sonic doesn't really need those type of "convenient plot device" -like characters.
  • I still think he'd only work in a comic, since we'd need a bigger cast for him to constantly toy with. Given Sonic's formula they'd overcome/be immune to it pretty quickly, or else people would be annoyed.

• I think a smart manipulator type would be an interesting addition to the villain cast, but they don't really need all that demonic stuff. I mean being formidable without any unique physical power only with charisma, brain and charm sounds badass enough. When I hear demonic/devil-type, I immediately think of a final boss or something similar.

For the part about the demon's schemes, the reason why I think his plans should be more personal is because he's pretty much already the biggest fish in the pond of villainy. Taking over the world would be redundant, so why not have fun instead?