Sign in to follow this  
Shadow Chaos Control

Yoshi Appreciation Thread

4E182AC5-436B-441A-A855-F925941A82D0.png.7dd6f56add29a6d773d517bef06c370c.png

I have always been an avid fan of Yoshi, Mario’s dino pal who had his own NES games like “Yoshi’s Cookies” but was introduced to most in Super Mario World (SNES) has for good reason at times outshined the Plumber. 

For myself I first met Yoshi in Super Mario World 2: Yoshi’s Island and Super Mario Kart (SNES). 

Over the years Yoshi has had his own spin off games like “Yoshi’s Island,” “Yoshi Story,” “Yoshi Topsy Turvey,” “Yoshi’s Woolly World,” and more. 

When did you get introduced to Yoshi? Was it a game, the SMB movie, TV show or etc? 

What color Yoshi is your favorite? 

*points to my avatar*

Yosh is best boi. ❤️

I have: Yoshi's Island (GBA), Yoshi's Woolly World (3DS), Yoshi's Crafted World (Switch), and have played Yoshi's Story for N64.

I also tend to choose Yoshi in Mario Party and Mario Kart.

We really need Yoshi fan games though. I know Ninty would just take em down but there's such a lack of fan Yoshi content.

I have the Mario Advance version of the original Yoshi's Island, Yoshi's Island DS, and Yoshi's New Island.  It's sad that there is such a decrease in quality as the series goes on; New Island is execrable, but DS isn't too bad, though, and while it fails to reach the lofty heights of the original then it at least gives the impression of trying to come up with new ideas.  I just wish they'd come up with a sequel which can rival the original; I hear good things about the crafted games, but they don't do anything for me, though, I don't really recognise them as the same format.  Well, my feelings on the matter are probably similar to those of classic Paper Mario fans looking at the more overtly papercrafted modern sequels.

7 hours ago, Angyu said:

We really need Yoshi fan games though. I know Ninty would just take em down but there's such a lack of fan Yoshi content.

Seems like there are plenty on Mario Fan Games Galaxy, and I'm fairly sure SMWCentral has its share of hacks.  It's really just the ones which mainstream gaming sites start reporting on which get taken down (a pattern which such sites appear quite oblivious to).

6 hours ago, FFWF said:

I have the Mario Advance version of the original Yoshi's Island, Yoshi's Island DS, and Yoshi's New Island.  It's sad that there is such a decrease in quality as the series goes on; New Island is execrable, but DS isn't too bad, though, and while it fails to reach the lofty heights of the original then it at least gives the impression of trying to come up with new ideas.  I just wish they'd come up with a sequel which can rival the original; I hear good things about the crafted games, but they don't do anything for me, though, I don't really recognise them as the same format.  Well, my feelings on the matter are probably similar to those of classic Paper Mario fans looking at the more overtly papercrafted modern sequels.

What was so bad about New Island?

Also, Woolly World is extremely good! It's like a spiritual successor to the original Yoshi's Island, but without the babies. If not having the babies would kill it for you, I guess you can avoid it. But to me they got annoying anyway. Other than that, the game follows the good ol' Yoshi Island formula to a tee, from the level designs, enemies, fun, even transformation sections. I highly recommend it if you have a 3DS.

Crafted World, on the other hand...

So, I enjoyed Crafted World. It's cute, fun, pleasant. But way too easy, with no difficulty at all until some sections at the end. There's also fetch quests where you have to play each level so many times to find objects. The game just doesn't have enough content for what it is. I love the art style so much, I just wish they did more with it. The 2017 preview beta of the game seemed to have a lot of awesome stuff that they cut out of the final game, and all we have to go by is the E3 2017 video of it. (TCRF doesn't even have a page for the game.)

6 hours ago, Angyu said:

What was so bad about New Island?

It was just such a downgrade.  I found the graphics and music charmless, and the whole exercise bizarrely devoid of ingenuity; things like how there's exactly one level in the game with a unique new gimmick and everything else is just samey, or the way half of the series' trademark giant battles were traded out for Kamek battles...  After beating New Island, I went back and did a 100% run of DS, and I guarantee you that that game was far more "New".

Woolly World I tried the demo for on the 3DS, but it didn't do anything for me; I'm sure it's great, but me and that style just don't click.  I need something a bit closer to the hand-drawn look of the original.

32 minutes ago, FFWF said:

It was just such a downgrade.  I found the graphics and music charmless, and the whole exercise bizarrely devoid of ingenuity; things like how there's exactly one level in the game with a unique new gimmick and everything else is just samey, or the way half of the series' trademark giant battles were traded out for Kamek battles...  After beating New Island, I went back and did a 100% run of DS, and I guarantee you that that game was far more "New".

Woolly World I tried the demo for on the 3DS, but it didn't do anything for me; I'm sure it's great, but me and that style just don't click.  I need something a bit closer to the hand-drawn look of the original.

Ah, sucks that they just can't live up to the original. =\

And personally I love the newer art styles of the crafty games, but I understand not everyone does. But gameplay-wise, Woolly World is vert close to the original.

I was first introduced to the wonderful Yoshi when I saw my friend play SNES at his house (I had a Sega Genesis so I never owned an SNES) and he was playing I think Yoshi Island and I was like "I want this game." It looked so cool EXCEPT crying Mario. It was annoying to lose baby Mario.

When I got an N64, I rented Yoshi Story a lot. He was adorbz, and if anyone knows how to unlock black and white Yoshi, you're a legend. And the music was weird but cool. I like different paths you could take to get through the story book.

My brother loves Yoshi.  He would always choose Yoshi for Mario Kart and Mario Party and Mario Tennis. Good times. I loved Yoshi too.

The DS version of Yoshi Island was hard. I never beat it. o_O; I wish I still had that game.

I think that's all I have to say about the Yoshi. I never got the newer Yoshi games likes crafted world or woolly word or whatever they were called. But yeah, that's my tribute to Yoshi. Such a great character.