Awoo.

[Looking for feedback]- Sonic OCs, Fakemon, other artsy stuff!

~Welcome to Angyu's Creative Works thread~

This is where I'll be posting my creative stuff, which includes, but is not limited to: Sonic OCs, fake Pokemon designs, constructed writing systems, among other things.

I am looking for constructive critique and feedback on my character designs; not my artistic style or talent. I realize that needs work.

Also please be nice! ;-; I know that's a forum rule anyway but I'll reiterate it.

Anyways, here's my first OC! And by that I mean, my first ever Sonic OC that I ever made. A couple days ago. And I'm 28.

Idk why I've been a lifelong Sonic fan, since before I can even remember, and skipped over the "cringy Sonic recolor OC" phase, or even making actual Sonic OCs. I had characters for other franchises- Pac Man and Donkey Kong, oddly enough. And a few really awful Fakemon. Though I think I did mess around with sprites in MSPaint, but I labeled it as "Sonic dyed his fur today" instead of a separate character.

So, knowing what I know now, I tried to avoid the common missteps of bad fan characters. No recolors or rainbow, using species not commonly used, not being overpowered, not being every canon character's best friend, not too edgelordy. But I'm still working on it. So without further ado, here he is!

Grips the Squid

555520405_gripsthesquid2.thumb.png.67211ab77e93e7d03e7639e8a721252e.png

Biographical and other information below, including physical abilities:

Spoiler

Holger "Grips" Isberg spends much of his time drifting between aquatic locales, living mostly underwater. He's Norwegian like how Knuckles is Jamaican- it gets mentioned once, then never again, and wouldn't be taken into accounting in casting his voice role. He arrives in the Sonic lore as he happens to be staying in the waters that Angel Island crashed into. Seeing the locals so disturbed by this intrusion to their oceanic home, he decides to come ashore and see what's going on, and that sets him on his quest to help get Angel Island back into the sky.

One common in-game theme would be that he fails to meet up with Knuckles because they're never on the island at the same time- only late in the games would they ever meet. For a while, he just follows the road of clues to figure out what's happening.

Personality-wise, he has social skills, but often fails to go deeper than that. Moving locations so often, he never had deep connections with others, so his amicable nature stops at casual friendships. That, and he underestimates the seriousness of everything, assuming he can solve any issue easily, only to realize later on he needs to "come to grips" (lol) with reality.

Oh, and he has a favorite food! Onigiri, which he only eats with seaweed and veggies because he's a vegetarian. This stubbornness can lead to trouble when his favorite food isn't available, so he tries to always have some on hand.

For his theme music (in Adventure-style games), I'd imagine ambient Euro-trance style music, which was gaining popularity around the time of those games. Sounds that sound like this or this.

Abilities: His speed is a tad slower than Knuckles. His main way to move about and attack is with his eight stretchy tentacles. He uses these to grip onto enemies and objects and throw them, as well as using them to maneuver across floating objects. His suction cups can also climb walls, albeit he falls off after a second or so of not moving. However, his main power over Knuckles is he can climb ceilings too! His in-air powers are limited, but he can do a sort of spin attack where he extends his limbs and spins like a star, floating briefly. Grips excels underwater though, being a swift swimmer and able to use all his attacks underwater too. I've thought of a level mechanic where all his levels contain some water, and he must jump into it to breathe; like an inverse of other Sonic characters needing air every once in a while when underwater.

Also note that I had a different color scheme in mind at first, but having a white pointy head was... yeah no. White isn't an often used color for canon characters so I wanted to use it, but I'll save it for another character. Then I made him a bluish green but it was just Squidward at that point. Honestly the color scheme was the hardest part of designing a character. x_x Doesn't help that every color is used for a character already.

As for other design aspects, I aim for a mix of classic and adventure/modern style character design, trying to keep it somewhat simple, but also put in some more modern elements.

As I said earlier, critique wanted but only constructive! No being mean for the sake of it.

Edited by Guest
added theme music

• 2 weeks later...
  • Replies 3
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Coz483

Don't like how this one came out much but it's the only art I really did since last time so I may as well.

My new Sonic OC, Pastila the mole! (Making female characters clothless but non-explicit)

1475349467_pastilathemole2.thumb.png.7c6497e7f1f63a6e3a20542e44fc821c.png

Edited by Guest
made pic smaller

I think a way you can improve on these is understanding how Sonic characters are drawn. For example you obviously didn't use actual construction on your characters, you just drew them from your head.

Here's a tutorial on how to draw Toei/Junio Sonic:https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UQqfOm-CHwI

The reason I gave you a tutorial on Toei/Junio specifically is because this is the only Sonic drawing tutorial I could find with actual construction.                    Once you do that you should practice a bit and if you want to draw modern Sonic just apply what you've learned when drawing him.                             

Something that will help you is looking at references so you stay accurate. Once you do that and understand how you can draw Sonic apply it to               your OCs.

22 hours ago, Coz456 said:

I think a way you can improve on these is understanding how Sonic characters are drawn. For example you obviously didn't use actual construction on your characters, you just drew them from your head.

Here's a tutorial on how to draw Toei/Junio Sonic:https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UQqfOm-CHwI

The reason I gave you a tutorial on Toei/Junio specifically is because this is the only Sonic drawing tutorial I could find with actual construction.                    Once you do that you should practice a bit and if you want to draw modern Sonic just apply what you've learned when drawing him.                             

Something that will help you is looking at references so you stay accurate. Once you do that and understand how you can draw Sonic apply it to               your OCs.

Thanks for the video! I did look on Google images while drawing my characters, but it just sorta throws images in different styles at me so perhaps I should pin one down instead like in the video. I also did try to sketch out proportions first but I usually end up not following them too much. x_x I'm using a $30 "tablet" (touch pad basically) from a decade ago so that makes it a bit difficult too. But I'll try drawing Sonic. :)