Sign in to follow this  
Commander Fun

Guitar Hero/Rock Band Thread

I just figured that all of these franchies deserve a topic(well, not Rock Revolution, but the other two), so I just decided to make an entire topic for this whole subgenre of gaming. Post how you got into them, your favorite notecharts or anything else related to the topic.

I personally started playing with GH3 which is still probably my personal favorite of the bunch(never had the chance to play GH2 as in-depth, but I have played through the main setlist). I just felt like I had more incentive to go back and improve my scores in this rather than GHWT/RB2, mainly due to the better score-tracking IMO. My only gripe really was the lack of a timing window for HOPOs.

Got GHWT next. Liked this one a lot too, despite the notecharts being easier overall than GH3. Also really got into vocals here, which I play interchangably with guitar now. Can't play drums worth shit though.

Got RB2 next. Liked it just as much as World Tour personally. I could really play either one depending on which charts I feel like playing. I think I like the vocals engine a little better though. My only issue is that most of the on-disc guitar charts are way too easy, but DLC has some good stuff.

So yeah, discuss.

Also, Stevie Ray Vaughn's Texas Flood album just came to RB this week, and my god, I need to download this ASAP. Rude Mood looks completely nuts.

Edited by Commander Fun

I despise what Rock Band and World Tour have done. Guitar Hero III was a challenge and if it wasn't for the stupid HOPO timing, it'd have been the perfect formula. Aerosmith was pretty good as far as mechanics go but the setlist was boring. Metallica?!

I'm pretty good at Guitar Hero. I 1000'd Guitar Hero II and I got 950/1000 in GH3 (I'm not playing Co-Op on Easy just to get some GS LMAO) and I go to local tournaments whenever they happen, placing 3rd or higher at most of them. money ftw

I play drums so RockBand is for me. I haven't played World Tour yet so I gotta save my pennies for it. I'd like to say i'm pretty damn good at the drums too. On RB1 I can play expert on almost all the songs and RB2 Hard on everything, expert on a few, I just got it last week. I fucking love Rock Band.

Edited by Vandroiy

Well I like both games. Weirdly enough unlike most people I get more enjoyment out of playing bass than guitar.

The only "problem" I have with the games is that there just is a lack of good metal. There's so many good metal bands out there, so many classics and still we ain't seeing any of that. But they gladly give some emo trash and nu metal crap as DLC. Instead of all that they should be giving us som real metal. Also gives us some damn Vai, Satriani, Paul Gilbert (racer x), Tony McAlpine.

I got into the series with Guitar Hero 2, quickly went and bought myself Guitar Hero when I realised just how fun the idea was. I can play expert for the vast majority of stuff, but there's always one or two songs at the end of each game that I just can't do. I managed to get to the final set for Guitar Hero 3, but I can't do anything on it. Ah, well, I gave it a go.

Playing World Tour at the moment, got it this week and mangaed to snag a free guitar with it. I must say, there is some odd song selection on it. For example, What I've Done. You pretty much only play the three chrous, and its not exactly the most interesting note chart. I don't understand why they couldn't have picked a more interesting Linkin Park song - its not as if they're hard to find.

I've also played a fair bit of Rock Band at my mate's house, and boy, I sure hate that guitar. Its horrible. I can barely tell what fret buttons I'm on, and the strummer is a nightmare. But the multiplayer aspect is awesome. I've also tried the drums. Because I don't play often, I'm only on medium for that, but I love beating the shit out of those pads :D

A Guitar Hero/Rock Band topic where everyone isn't proclaiming the latter as God's gift to Earth and the former a freak abomination?!

What crazy alternative dimension have I walked into?

As a Wii owner I have greatly enjoyed Guitar Hero III and World Tour even more so in some ways. I love what Vicarious Visions did with the game on the platform, making the formula truly shine where Harmonix sadly failed with Rock Band Wii. Rock Band 2 on the Wii is meant to fix many of the problems though, and I have heard it's pretty good but it seems a bit too little too late since World Tour already did it all.

I have nothing against either as they are pretty much the same game in slightly different forms and with differing song lists. People will always prefer one over the other, though I just happen to like Guitar Hero more because I'm crazy like that.

I played all the GH games and played a couple RB games at Best Buy, I want want RB 1 or 2, it doesn't matter. But I love Guitar Hero World Tour! It has a great set list to me, it also had the right amount of notes for me. Guitar Hero 3 was also good, though it was a bit more challenging, man how I love Through the Fire and the Flames.

I've been waiting for RB2 to hit here before I decide which one I'd get

Speaking of World Tour. I simply love the song hot for teacher it's one of the greatest things Van Halen ever wrote. I was wondering how's the chart for bass and guitar? Hell if the charts are good I might actually be convinced to go and get the game simply for that damn song.

So what I like for the WT setlist is Crazy Train and Mr. Crowley, Eye of the Tiger, Hot for Teacher, Overkill, Rebel Yell, Satch Boogie, Stranglehold and Trapped under Ice are the only songs who I really like. And well the DLC for GH ain't all that impressive to me. Ted Nugent, Van Halen, Ozzy, Billy Idol, Motorhead, Metallica and damn Joe Satriani I swear I could listen to Satch all day long.

While for RB2 I get Ace of Spades, Aqualung, Bad reputation, Battery, Carry on wayward son, Colony of Birchmen, Eye of the Tiger, Give it away, Let There Be Rock, Master Exploder, Painkiller, Panic Attack, Peace sells (and got the rest of the album on RB1 already), Souls of Black, Spoonman, Testify, The Trees, White Wedding (Part 1). And well the DLC for RB is better as well. Kinda same for artists here Motorhead, Jethro Tull, Metallica, Mastodon, Megadeth, Judas fucking Priest, Testament (which you really need to see live if you can. Chuck Billy will blow your stomach to the back of the room with just his voice).

I just can't make up my mind. The songs I listed for World Tour are songs I absolutely love. While for RB2 well you could say the same about most. But like Master Exploder and white wedding are more because I'm curious how the chart is going to be. But then I simply adore old Metallica, Megadeth, Priest and Testament. So all in all it's pretty damn equal. It's annoying really I can't afford to just go and pick up both you know.

Well on thing is certain though. I am getting GH: Metallica heh man King Diamond is just always so cool. He's cool when you see him live, he's cool when telling stories, he makes damn awesome music with awesome lyrics and story and now he's even looking damn cool in a game I'm going to get.

Screw Elvis there's only one KING and it's Diamond baby.

What i really wish for RockBand is a power metal set list. I think that would be so fucking awesome.

I got all excited when I heard about the new guitar hero game, but when I heard it was all old songs, I lacked care...seriously...is it that hard to get NEW songs out?

GH3 stands in my mind as the best, and world tour dissapointed me, because there was so many freaking emo/non-english songs.. and they werent even mainstream tollerable emo... and come on..HTW do you sing in another language?

Metallica will be good, but just...more downloadable content.. Please.

and come on..HTW do you sing in another language?

All non-English speaking countires (you know, most of Europe) manage to cope with near enough a full game of foreign (to them) songs. Can you really complain about 5? And I must say, adding La Bomba was a stroke of genius in World Tour. Also, due to Rock Band, I went and downloaded Perfekte Welle. Good songs.

You don't have to get it word-for-word, you know. Just make the right sound and you're ok. Its not anywhere near as difficult for foreign songs as people make out.

Then again, I completely suck at vocals, so bleh.

What's not to like about Rock Band?

The shift of focus from guitar to.... nothing. The focus is spread through each instrument and each instrument doesn't get songs that are particularly amazing for that instrument. Guitar Hero was great, the guitar was difficult and required quick hands, reflexes, and practice to be good at. It was challenging, rewarding, and had competitive potential.

It has better songs, better gameplay

Subjective.

and a much better online system.

Since when has an online system made a rhythm game?

Well I like both games. Weirdly enough unlike most people I get more enjoyment out of playing bass than guitar.

If bass is your thing, I'd reccomend looking into GHWT. I thought the open strums were a great addition, and they managed to help differentiate iut from regular guitar, with some of my favorite bass tracks being the Tool songs, B.Y.O.B., Love Spreads & Soul Doubt.

Speaking of World Tour. I simply love the song hot for teacher it's one of the greatest things Van Halen ever wrote. I was wondering how's the chart for bass and guitar? Hell if the charts are good I might actually be convinced to go and get the game simply for that damn song.

The main riff for guitar can be a little tricky to get the hang of at first, but once you do, it's becomes a lot of fun to play and the solos are great. As for bass, I can't really say much because it's been a while since I last played it, but it's one of the final songs in the game on every instrument except for vocals. Here's both the

and bass charts so you can judge for yourself.

It's annoying really I can't afford to just go and pick up both you know.

If you really want to play both of them, you could possibly pick up one of the full band sets and use it for both games.

I got all excited when I heard about the new guitar hero game, but when I heard it was all old songs, I lacked care...seriously...is it that hard to get NEW songs out?

GH3 stands in my mind as the best, and world tour dissapointed me, because there was so many freaking emo/non-english songs.. and they werent even mainstream tollerable emo... and come on..HTW do you sing in another language?

All that is is Guitar Hero: Greatest Hits, not a true sequel to the franchise. If anything, it'll be good to play songs from the first 3 games with full band compatability. And what in GHWT was emo? The only songs that even come to mind are The Kill, Beautiful Disaster, and I guess What I've Done if you consider Linkin Park emo. I kind of agree on the foreign songs, but you can't deny that that L'Via L'Viaquez and La Bamba are made entirely of win.

and come on..HTW do you sing in another language?

All non-English speaking countires (you know, most of Europe) manage to cope with near enough a full game of foreign (to them) songs.

Quoted for truth. I have to play, and if given the microphone, sing as good as every song in a foreign language - English. >.<

I love Guitar Hero, I have it for my Wii that I recently got. ^^ I recently managed to beat Career on Expert mode. My best friend is so much better than me though, he managed to take me with him at Coop Through the Fire and Flames on Expert. I'm proud to not have made him fail that song there. XD

It's a really unique game, at the same time you get to know (if not already knowing) new, awesome songs. I also have Guitar Hero: World Tour (game only), but I just got that and I have not bothered playing that so much. The hammer-on/pull-off system is way different, making it much more harder than what I am used to, and otherwise uncomfortable.

I've played some Rock Band at my friend's house, as well. Although the concept more or less is the same, I love the way you can fail and then be saved by a fellow player. x3

I love Guitar Hero, I have it for my Wii that I recently got. ^^ I recently managed to beat Career on Expert mode. My best friend is so much better than me though

I only just survived the last song set on medium. O.O'

From the sound of things your a better player than you might think you are.

I was actually truly shocked by the quality of World Tour on the Wii and I really wasn't expecting Vicarious Visions to make it work so well. From what I've played of the online it's extremely solid and the downloads, though slightly sparse, are decent and work well. Human by The Killers is an absolute bitch on Lead Guitar though and those repetitive note patterns kill my fingers. Bass is nice but a bit too easy on that song though.

I really need to get used to using the orange fret for Hard and Expert. I can do songs like Livin' On A Prayer on Hard due to the real lack of difficult note patterns, but it's just when a whole bunch get thrown at me so suddenly that I tend to mess up. Also me using the Guitar Hero III guitar makes the slider notes a little awkward.

I love a lot of the stuff by Linkin Park because I have an eclectic taste in music and I have nothing against What I've Done but I wouldn't mind something else by them more. Maybe Numb, Faint, In The End, One Step Closer, We Made It (!)?

Also I'm in love with Rooftops by the Lostprophets. My first FC in the game, albeit on Medium.

I don't know, personally I don't think many Linkin Park songs would really make that great of a transfer to Rhythm Game form. What I've Done was a terrible choice though.

I really need to get used to using the orange fret for Hard and Expert.
yeah, it can be hard to start with. Just cruise your hand down the neck when you do it, don't try to stretch your pinky over from where you normally hold the guitar.

I'm a Rock Band guy myself. Love dat DLC, especially Boston <3

First off commander thanks for that post must have been annoying reading through my long post :lol:

Had a look at the bass chart and yeah the open strums do seem ok. Think I made up my mind.

Don't need to get the full pack though. Already got a usb mic I use and as for the drums...well I don't need it. I got a real drum in the room where I game and one in the room next to it. So if I wanna drum I just get someone else to do the vocal part or guitar part and get on my real drums.

Think I'll get WT first with an extra guitar since I like the GH guitars more than the RB ones. Then I'll just get RB2 with disc alone.

I'm a Rock Band guy myself. Love dat DLC, especially Boston <3

You my friend are an individual worth living then ;) Anyone who loves Boston is a good person.

Since when has an online system made a rhythm game?

Well if you have no friends in town to play RB with (like me, I have no friends in the town I live in so that's why we're moving in a few days), then you can find some people to play online with.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rtKwOKRzTZU

A friend and I played this song on Co-op again, but this time he gave me the Lead role. =P

I was sure I was gonna fail within the first three seconds, but we managed 83% of the entire song. Woohoo. XD

(Although, I was on flashy red, so nearly failed and barely made the intro shizz)

The thing about Expert is, you will have to play like ten notes to see the rock meter move a pixel, but if you miss just one note, the rock meter will fall dramatically in comparement. So if you try this song and don't play anything, it takes you one second, if not less, to fail. That's the main thing that differs Expert from the other difficulties, I think.

First time I made the intro, lol. </Bragging>

Well if you have no friends in town to play RB with (like me, I have no friends in the town I live in so that's why we're moving in a few days), then you can find some people to play online with.

The thing about Guitar Hero III is that you only need one friend to play Co-Op, and who needs co-op in a mainly single-player oriented game? I don't like RB/WT because of the fact it's group oriented; it's not focused on skills of an individual.

This is, of course, personal preference. Liking RB/WT because of the group aspect is a perfectly valid reason.

also I've 5 starred Through the Fire and Flames, Diz, in single player. :]

Edited by Strong Bad

also I've 5 starred Through the Fire and Flames, Diz, in single player. :]

On Expert? Are you serious? Are you a frickin robot?? XD

That's insane.

It's safe to say who's the Guitar Hero god in here. XP

It's safe to say who's the Guitar Hero god in here. XP

Yeah, that's right, it's me. The first time I played the song TTFATF I failed in, ohhhh, 2 seconds?

I can't beat Through the Fire and the Flames on the easiest difficulty setting.

And somehow, I can pass a few songs on Expert in Rock Band, even though I'm stuck on Medium in Guitar Hero.

Weird.