Awoo.

The Truth About Blaze and Eggman Nega's Backstory

Chocola

So, I don't think that anyone has made a post about this on here yet, and I haven't seen many people talk about this. I stumbled upon a Tumblr post the other day talking about Sonic '06's canonicity, and hidden details surrounding Blaze's backstory (which you should go ahead and read if what I'm talking about here interests you). For a long time, people have been confused about where Blaze truly comes from, as '06 and Sonic Rush seem to have her come from completely different places: the future, and the Sol Dimension. But the script writer for '06, Shiro Maekawa, has stated on Twitter that there is a connection between the two games, it's just never been mentioned before. 

Maekawa: “The truth is, when writing Sonic 06 we wanted to add the sense of a connection between Sonic Rush and Sonic 06, but I don’t think that’s ever been officially stated.”

The connection he's referring to comes from one of Blaze's final lines in Silver's Story:

tumblr_inline_pbee1idrBD1qexz7a_500.png

This means that the dimension she's referring to is the Sol Dimension; meaning that Blaze did initially hail from the future, she was just sealed inside the Sol Dimension via Chaos Control. Heck, Blaze even briefly turns into Burning Blaze for a moment before fading away:

(notice the magenta-colored fuzz around her shoe cuffs rather than the usual white)

Then why does she seem to be familiar with Sonic when she says, "blue hedgehog"? Its a translation error. The Japanese word for "blue" can also mean "naïve", meaning that she was talking about Silver this whole time, it just got lost in translation.

This becomes even more interesting when you consider Eggman Nega's whole deal. Like Blaze, it's been wondered if he comes from the future or the Sol Dimension; however, it has never been stated that he came from the Sol Dimension, it's just merely been implied that he is Eggman's interdimensional counterpart. He's always been from the future, he just crossed over to the Sol Dimension through unspecified means, making him both Silver and Blaze's nemesis. So the stories of Sonic Rush, Sonic '06, and Sonic Rivals are all connected in a way, their chronological order just likely differs from that of their release order. It seems bizarre to have all of this hidden plot, just to never address it, but it is possible that they were planning on giving Silver a solo game that would clarify all of this; it just never happened due to '06's poor reputation. What do you think about this? What could they have truly been planning? Would you have liked to see all of these plot elements explored? Because I know I definitely would've.

4 minutes ago, Chocola said:

It seems bizarre to have all of this hidden plot, just to never address it,

Not when you consider that '06 is a dumpster fire in basically every way, and a lot of the series' writing elsewhere isn't much better.

The idea that '06 Blaze became Rush (and onwards) Blaze has some pretty serious holes in it. There's been no sign of any raging fire demon trying to burst out of her in anything outside '06, despite the threat of it escaping being the whole reason for sealing her away. While she doesn't really interact with Sonic in '06, she is with him in one scene, yet shows no indication of recognizing him in Rush. And it's a bit of a stretch to believe that some random girl who appeared out of nowhere would get adopted into the royal family, become a princess, and take on the role of guarding some of the world's most powerful objects within a relatively short timeframe. It's a theory that only works if you don't really think about it.

And regardless of what Maekawa may have been trying to imply, I'm pretty sure the official position at this point is that Blaze is and always has been from the world seen in Rush Adventure.

10 minutes ago, Diogenes said:

Not when you consider that '06 is a dumpster fire in basically every way, and a lot of the series' writing elsewhere isn't much better.

The idea that '06 Blaze became Rush (and onwards) Blaze has some pretty serious holes in it. There's been no sign of any raging fire demon trying to burst out of her in anything outside '06, despite the threat of it escaping being the whole reason for sealing her away. While she doesn't really interact with Sonic in '06, she is with him in one scene, yet shows no indication of recognizing him in Rush. And it's a bit of a stretch to believe that some random girl who appeared out of nowhere would get adopted into the royal family, become a princess, and take on the role of guarding some of the world's most powerful objects within a relatively short timeframe. It's a theory that only works if you don't really think about it.

Well, the implication was always that some part of the process made Blaze lose her memories of Silver/Sonic 06. They've been referenced as being feint but still existent in official games and the new comics that are designed to be closer to the source material. Content that was released years after Maekawa's departure. It's curious, because almost no other parts of Sonic 06's lore are referenced, either jokingly or otherwise, in the rest of the series. From what we understand, the majority of Sonic 06's lore is off limits, so why not this? It's clear that they want to maintain that connection, even if they don't want to commit to most other parts of that backstory.

I have my own crackpot theories on how the 3 games are connected, but those are just that: theories. In regards to the series's actual intent I think that, like it or not, Silver's relationship with Blaze actually is a foundational part of his character that's difficult to just ignore. That and it's always been a popular relationship in fan material. Sega is just giving people a lane to continue being invested in that without really committing that hard to it themselves.

Tldr: Sega sees people like the duo as a unit but don't want to jump down the 06 rabbit hole and untangle the wires themselves. They've re-established their friendship in a way that's vague and open to interpretation. However you'd like to fill in the blanks is up to you. 

I think them ever revisiting this is unlikely, but Silver is a popular character so I wouldn't completely rule out him getting the spotlight again in some way. Probably nothing that capitalizes on this stuff, since these games are all 15 years old at this point, but something simpler that also uses Blaze i could see. 

1 hour ago, Diogenes said:

There's been no sign of any raging fire demon trying to burst out of her in anything outside '06, despite the threat of it escaping being the whole reason for sealing her away.

I honestly wonder if Blaze was supposed to have Elise's role incredibly early on in Sonic '06's first drafts, and it just got heavily changed as development continued. They are both princesses with fire powers after all, if you count Iblis being sealed away as a "power", that is. Maybe '06 would've been an origin story of sorts for her? Plus, that would explain why Blaze is so pointless in the game's story; any importance she would have had was stripped away and given to another character mid-development. No clue how they would've done it, but it's always interesting to think about what could have been.

I don't consider this as canon, just very popular headcanon ("fanon" is you will). Fans caught that connection long time ago, but it leaves holes.

Best theory I have is that Blaze wasn't just transported to Sol Dimension, but down right reincarnated several years into the past, therefore lack of memories and her royal status.
Alternatively there is no royal family Blaze was just given the tittle and the role based on some prophecy or something (no reincarnation, but still loosing memory), but that's a faaaaaar stretch.

And Iblis? Either her pyrokinesis power keep him in bay much better than Elise or she managed to dump him into Chaotic Inferno Zone, so Iblis and Ifrit (from Rivals 2) are the same monster.

I suppose Nega could follow Blaze to Sol Dimension, although it's hard to imagine him living in Future Destroyed by Iblis,

• Thumbs Up 1

If you want to start digging through the weeds, there is one thing in the lore from Rush that helps clear the way for this a bit.

If Blaze more or less fell from the sky into the SOL dimension, its not like she was embraced and crowned Princess just like that. Upon arrival, she was the single strongest force on the planet, and she was feared for it. We know from her backstory in Rush that she was separated and persecuted for her powers.  Becoming Guardian of the SOL emeralds may have simply been the only way she felt she could make herself useful to a populous that quite frankly didn't want her around. Considering the entire dimension is named after those emeralds, becoming the guardian may well of anointed her Princess status as well.

Furthermore, Blaze's current job functions as a figurehead in the Sol kingdom, further imply that she was adopted into the established monarchy. She seems heavily involved in both the defense and day to day affairs of the kingdom, which suggests that there is no King or Queen here to speak of. Just her. Odd, but it fits the narrative.

Of course, making the theory work takes a whole lot of bending and a generous dose of fannon.

(Personally, I believe Blaze removed herself from the timeline via Chaos Control in Silver's Story - which messed up her place in timespace when Elise blew out the original Solaris at the source - which caused her to be re-inserted/born/whatever into the Sol dimension in Sonic's time)

Sega breeds this kinda stuff because they play fast and loose with the canon. Lets not forget that the console version of Generations pulls 06 back into the fold (and Blaze "remembers it"). The DS version pulls levels from Rush. Colors DS has Silver and Blaze allude to their partnership in 06 and Nega stands as proof positive that they aren't afraid to have characters pull double duty in leaping across both time and space.

We have no official confirmation between 06 and Rush, but there are plenty of dangling threads to latch onto if you want to believe that.

Maekawa didn't write Rush (it was SA1's writer, Akinori Nishiyama), rather he just commandeered the whole vessel when writing her into 06.

Maekawa has also said and wrote some pretty dumb stuff on behalf of the Sonic series, too, so I feel like anything he says can be decided on a case-by-case basis whether or not it's worth caring about.

• Thumbs Up 1

1 hour ago, azoo said:

Maekawa didn't write Rush (it was SA1's writer, Akinori Nishiyama), rather he just commandeered the whole vessel when writing her into 06.

Maekawa has also said and wrote some pretty dumb stuff on behalf of the Sonic series, too, so I feel like anything he says can be decided on a case-by-case basis whether or not it's worth caring about.

I feel like this is the case so bad with the series. So many people who have contributed something awesome had also been responsible utterly awful or plain stupid things as well. It's not a hard and fast rule, rather it's just an observation about how heavy-handed the production of this series has been.

Maekawa's comments here are baffling. The story of '06 was pretty bad all over the place. This long-speculated connection to Rush isn't just ambiguous, it's also nonsensical as @Diogenes outlined. Blaze was an established character in Rush with a bsckstory that contradicts '06. You've got to leap over some pretty big hurdles to claim that one doesn't contradict the other, and that's exactly what Maekawa is doing here. The same also applies to Eggman Nega and the Sol Emeralds; in Rush and Rush Adventure they are extra-dimensional counterparts to the Chaos Emeralds and Eggman, but in '06 and they are from the future. You can't pussy-foot around it and say that either was "just implied" to be case when it was actually established to be the case. '06, Rivals and Rush (and Generations if you want to take Blaze's remark about being back in Crisis City) are collectively wrapped-up in a mess of retcons and contradictions because the writers weren't too bothered about maintaining the continuity. I accepted that that was the case a long time ago. The stories don't make sense and that's that. It's a shame because nothing was gaines from the back and forth of these retcons, but it is what it is.

3 hours ago, MetalSkulkBane said:

I don't consider this as canon, just very popular headcanon ("fanon" is you will). Fans caught that connection long time ago, but it leaves holes.

Best theory I have is that Blaze wasn't just transported to Sol Dimension, but down right reincarnated several years into the past, therefore lack of memories and her royal status.

And Iblis? Either her pyrokinesis power keep him in bay much better than Elise or she managed to dump him into Chaotic Inferno Zone, so Iblis and Ifrit (from Rivals 2) are the same monster.

I suppose Nega could follow Blaze to Sol Dimension, although it's hard to imagine him living in Future Destroyed by Iblis,

This is kind of where my head is at. I don't think its feasible that she just dropped out of the sky. She was probably born into that world through natural means. I've even seen it suggested that 06 Blaze is actually an ancestor. 

My favorite piece of speculation I've read came from the idea that the Sol Dimension only exists in the first place as a means to contain Iblis's power, and that it's power doesn't overwhelm Blaze due to the Sol emeralds being the only way to tap into it for real. 

8 hours ago, Blue Blood said:

Maekawa's comments here are baffling. The story of '06 was pretty bad all over the place. This long-speculated connection to Rush isn't just ambiguous, it's also nonsensical as @Diogenes outlined. Blaze was an established character in Rush with a bsckstory that contradicts '06. You've got to leap over some pretty big hurdles to claim that one doesn't contradict the other, and that's exactly what Maekawa is doing here. The same also applies to Eggman Nega and the Sol Emeralds; in Rush and Rush Adventure they are extra-dimensional counterparts to the Chaos Emeralds and Eggman, but in '06 and they are from the future. You can't pussy-foot around it and say that either was "just implied" to be case when it was actually established to be the case. '06, Rivals and Rush (and Generations if you want to take Blaze's remark about being back in Crisis City) are collectively wrapped-up in a mess of retcons and contradictions because the writers weren't too bothered about maintaining the continuity. I accepted that that was the case a long time ago. The stories don't make sense and that's that. It's a shame because nothing was gaines from the back and forth of these retcons, but it is what it is.

Yeah.

It just feels wrong because it feels like an afterthought. Like they felt some kind of half-baked compulsion to put Blaze in the new title, and tied her entire existence to events related to the new guy just to justify it. Her whole universe and backstory gets minimized with a footnote that none of it exists without fitting the mold of her greater purpose as "that sidekick who stood around and did nothing except for a last minute Let Me Sacrifice Myself For You bit". Ugh, it does her so dirty as a character lol.

7 hours ago, Wraith said:

This is kind of where my head is at. I don't think its feasible that she just dropped out of the sky. She was probably born into that world through natural means. I've even seen it suggested that 06 Blaze is actually an ancestor. 

My favorite piece of speculation I've read came from the idea that the Sol Dimension only exists in the first place as a means to contain Iblis's power, and that it's power doesn't overwhelm Blaze due to the Sol emeralds being the only way to tap into it for real. 

I mentioned most of my problems with it above, but I also think the other big problem I have with the whole idea is that Blaze's character design seems to imply some sort of royalty. She's got a sophisticated looking coat, a golden necklace / collar, a forehead jewel (and a hairpiece that you can assume is made of the same material considering the color and shininess), and a royal kind of color scheme (a deep purple and gold), and the very way she talks or poses herself has that sense of elegance or poshness to it. It's all very apparent in her character... including when she's in 06..

It just doesn't sit with me right that these design elements all made sense when she was royalty from the get-go in Rush, but make no sense when she has those aspects to her design prior to becoming royalty. There's just so much to her character's sense of purpose being undermined here.

• Thumbs Up 1

31 minutes ago, azoo said:

I mentioned most of my problems with it above, but I also think the other big problem I have with the whole idea is that Blaze's character design seems to imply some sort of royalty. She's got a sophisticated looking coat, a golden necklace / collar, a forehead jewel (and a hairpiece that you can assume is made of the same material considering the color and shininess), and a royal kind of color scheme (a deep purple and gold), and the very way she talks or poses herself has that sense of elegance or poshness to it. It's all very apparent in her character... including when she's in 06..

It just doesn't sit with me right that these design elements all made sense when she was royalty from the get-go in Rush, but make no sense when she has those aspects to her design prior to becoming royalty. There's just so much to her character's sense of purpose being undermined here.

I'll admit that this is hard to reconcile, I think if they had bothered to change her design and powers in Sonic 06 it would be a slam dunk, but instead it's evident that some Mania/Forces type of sloppy cross promotion is at the core of it instead. 

At the end of the day though, I think Silver and Blaze's friendship's is still genuine. I think it would be fun to honor that while also not destroying Sonic Rush, a legitimately good story, in the process. 

7 minutes ago, Wraith said:

I'll admit that this is hard to reconcile, I think if they had bothered to change her design and powers in Sonic 06 it would be a slam dunk, but instead it's evident that some Mania/Forces type of sloppy cross promotion is at the core of it instead. 

At the end of the day though, I think Silver and Blaze's friendship's is still genuine. I think it would be fun to honor that while also not destroying Sonic Rush, a legitimately good story, in the process. 

I think you can do something with Blaze and Silver's friendship in the present day, with them having no prior knowledge to each other's existence, but doing it in a way that refers or implies referral back to what it was before (unfortunately the thing Sonic Team wants to do every time they share screen-space) is only leaving baggage from something a lot worse, and is ultimately not worth it.

Also changing her design and powers in 06 would've been better, but I still think my point I made beforehand still heavily irks me, that her entire life and relevance is fabricated from an existence where she didn't really have much of a purpose. If we had the chance to rewrite 06, I wouldn't try improving it at all; rather either removing her altogether from Silver's story or just rewriting the whole thing completely.

It's just a lost cause to me. Not worth the salt, in more ways than one. lol

• Thumbs Up 1

If I had to guess, Blaze's design was finalized before her background was; remember, she went through tons of designs before they settled on her final one. So the development team probably wanted a partner for Silver in the same vein Sonic had Tails and Knuckles, and Shadow had Rouge and Omega. But rather than create two more characters for that purpose, they just used Blaze since she was still relatively new to the series and not that well established yet.

So then they came up with Blaze's background near Rush's completed development, and since the team that worked on Rush and 06 probably weren't the same, nobody communicated with each other on how contradicting Blaze's two appearances would be. 

So it just feels like a classic case of mismanagement and nobody really communicating with each other during the developmental cycle that resulted in this mess. But because Silver and Blaze's dynamic is so popular with fans, Sega still pay lip service to it, but refuse to acknowledge the specifics about their background, Like how they actually fucking met. 

• Thumbs Up 3

I'm kind of tired of the Silver Blaze paradox where almost every time they meet up post 06, someone has to make a comment about how well they work together or how maybe they knew each other in a past life (???) 

Really wish Sonic 06 was universally recognized as it's own contained universe. A lot of Sonic continuity is a hell anyway, but Sonic 06 takes the dang cake.

• Thumbs Up 3

3 minutes ago, Kuzu said:

If I had to guess, Blaze's design was finalized before her background was; remember, she went through tons of designs before they settled on her final one. So the development team probably wanted a partner for Silver in the same vein Sonic had Tails and Knuckles, and Shadow had Rouge and Omega. But rather than create two more characters for that purpose, they just used Blaze since she was still relatively new to the series and not that well established yet.

So then they came up with Blaze's background near Rush's completed development, and since the team that worked on Rush and 06 probably weren't the same, nobody communicated with each other on how contradicting Blaze's two appearances would be. 

So it just feels like a classic case of mismanagement and nobody really communicating with each other during the developmental cycle that resulted in this mess. But because Silver and Blaze's dynamic is so popular with fans, Sega still pay lip service to it, but refuse to acknowledge the specifics about their background, Like how they actually fucking met. 

It's things like this (and Shadow's whole game.. and the classic / modern junk.. and the two worlds shit.. and countless other smaller things I'm not thinking of at the moment) that make me wish we could just soft reboot the canon. So much mismanagement of ideas and poor execution, the series is pretty much demanding you to not care about anything lol. There's a pretty good reason people remember Sonic for bad writing.

Thankfully the games are loose enough with themselves that you can just write stuff out if you feel like and things won't budge much, but that only kind of works most of the time, unfortunately. There's always gonna be some tiny new thing that raises it's head and forces you to acknowledge something that outright sucks, haha.

• Thumbs Up 2

You could honestly just handwave the whole thing by saying they met during one offscreen adventure in the past; Sega create solutions to problems that they create, it's baffling. I can honestly understand why nobody outside of the fanbase really holds this series' writing in high regard, it's a fucking mess quite frankly. And the annoying part is that it doesn't HAVE to be a mess, they just made it this way through some poor ass execution. 

And the ironic part is that Silver and Blaze still ended up being popular characters in spite of their mess of a background lmao. It's amazing what appealing character design and character chemistry can make you overlook. 

• Thumbs Up 1

26 minutes ago, azoo said:

It's things like this (and Shadow's whole game.. and the classic / modern junk.. and the two worlds shit.. and countless other smaller things I'm not thinking of at the moment) that make me wish we could just soft reboot the canon. So much mismanagement of ideas and poor execution, the series is pretty much demanding you to not care about anything lol. There's a pretty good reason people remember Sonic for bad writing.

I honestly agree. It might be possible to consolidate the canon up until now, but the last time this series' lore has felt consistent with itself was like, Sonic Adventure 2. (not counting spin-off games, I suppose, those have always been weird)

At this point, it's really not worth worrying about; the series has always played fast and loose with canon because they want to be able to do whatever the hell they want without being constrained by narrative. It's only really a big deal if you care that much about the series narrative.

There was indeed a casting site that credited Pete Capella for a Sonic game/DLC that never happened.

Either way, the reception of 06 has undeniably affected the direction the franchise went in to this day.

18 hours ago, Diogenes said:

And regardless of what Maekawa may have been trying to imply, I'm pretty sure the official position at this point is that Blaze is and always has been from the world seen in Rush Adventure.

There's also how the game resets things after Solaris is wiped out.

15 hours ago, Sega DogTagz said:

If you want to start digging through the weeds, there is one thing in the lore from Rush that helps clear the way for this a bit.

If Blaze more or less fell from the sky into the SOL dimension, its not like she was embraced and crowned Princess just like that. Upon arrival, she was the single strongest force on the planet, and she was feared for it. We know from her backstory in Rush that she was separated and persecuted for her powers.  Becoming Guardian of the SOL emeralds may have simply been the only way she felt she could make herself useful to a populous that quite frankly didn't want her around. Considering the entire dimension is named after those emeralds, becoming the guardian may well of anointed her Princess status as well.

Furthermore, Blaze's current job functions as a figurehead in the Sol kingdom, further imply that she was adopted into the established monarchy. She seems heavily involved in both the defense and day to day affairs of the kingdom, which suggests that there is no King or Queen here to speak of. Just her. Odd, but it fits the narrative.

Of course, making the theory work takes a whole lot of bending and a generous dose of fannon.

Nega mentions her family in Rush Adventure though.

15 hours ago, Sega DogTagz said:

(Personally, I believe Blaze removed herself from the timeline via Chaos Control in Silver's Story - which messed up her place in timespace when Elise blew out the original Solaris at the source - which caused her to be re-inserted/born/whatever into the Sol dimension in Sonic's time)

That's always been my interpretation as well.

12 hours ago, Blue Blood said:

. The same also applies to Eggman Nega and the Sol Emeralds; in Rush and Rush Adventure they are extra-dimensional counterparts to the Chaos Emeralds and Eggman, but in '06 and they are from the future. 

The Sol Emeralds weren't in 06. In fact, part of the issue is that practically nothing of Rush is referenced or weaved in.

3 hours ago, azoo said:

I think you can do something with Blaze and Silver's friendship in the present day, with them having no prior knowledge to each other's existence, but doing it in a way that refers or implies referral back to what it was before (unfortunately the thing Sonic Team wants to do every time they share screen-space) is only leaving baggage from something a lot worse, and is ultimately not worth it.

Also changing her design and powers in 06 would've been better, but I still think my point I made beforehand still heavily irks me, that her entire life and relevance is fabricated from an existence where she didn't really have much of a purpose. If we had the chance to rewrite 06, I wouldn't try improving it at all; rather either removing her altogether from Silver's story or just rewriting the whole thing completely.

It's just a lost cause to me. Not worth the salt, in more ways than one. lol

Honestly, she should've been a new character altogether.

3 hours ago, Kuzu said:

That's very possible.

The only problem is that Rush was released in 2005 and 06 was supposed to come out in 2007. And given that a handheld would've been easier to make(as madeevident by Cream), 06 would theoretically have started development as Rush was halfway through development.

3 hours ago, Kuzu said:

You could honestly just handwave the whole thing by saying they met during one offscreen adventure in the past; Sega create solutions to problems that they create, it's baffling. I can honestly understand why nobody outside of the fanbase really holds this series' writing in high regard, it's a fucking mess quite frankly. And the annoying part is that it doesn't HAVE to be a mess, they just made it this way through some poor ass execution. 

And the ironic part is that Silver and Blaze still ended up being popular characters in spite of their mess of a background lmao. It's amazing what appealing character design and character chemistry can make you overlook. 

Didn't they technically meet in Colors?

23 minutes ago, DabigRG said:

The Sol Emeralds weren't in 06. In fact, part of the issue is that practically nothing of Rush is referenced or weaved in.

Sorry, that part of my post was unclear. I should have said "from the future or absent entirely".

The absence of any of Rush's elements in '06 is a problem if you want to bring these two stories together. But it's not just the missing elements that are the problem. Even if you try to fill in those blanks, it still doesn't make sense. It's a very wonky, flawed and unworkable story unless you commit to absolute retcons (and then retcons of then retcons).

• Thumbs Up 1

I miss the days when Blaze's and Nega's backstories were the biggest canon-mysteries in the series.

Nowadays with " two worlds" and "two Sonic's" being a thing, those days are downright nostalgic.

• Thumbs Up 2

Yeah I can see it. Honestly like with the classic Sonic thing this is pretty basic time travel stuff. Since reality was rewritten at the end of 06 Blaze's history would have changed as such she would have been rewritten as a part of the Sol Dimension and honestly I never got the impression Nega ever was from the Sol Dimension originally.

It’s always nice to know about this information. Sorta like Bean turning out to be a woodpecker. Even nowadays when the biggest problem with canon is “Two Worlds”, as opposed to this. And this is the source of some headcanons of mine:

1. Marine used to be one of Tikal’s closest friends (see a Disney reference there?)before she got sealed away. Her entering the Sol Dimension was an accident. 
2. Eggman Nega’s not Eggman’s descendant, but rather his future self. 
3. The Sol Dimension is to the human world what the Special Zone is to the Animal World. This is why Blaze wasn’t in Forces.