Awoo.

SEGA 60th- Sonic week (December 2-9, 2020)

Graystripe2000

Yep. This coming Wednesday  starts Sonic week for the SEGA 60th anniversary celebrations. It starts on the 2nd and ends on the 9th, overlapping with the finale (though that could be a mistake). Don’t expect a new game announcement just in case, but there will be interviews live-streams and things like that

https://www.sega60th.com/sega60

• Thumbs Up 2

announcement of an announcement inbound.

Honestly, we'd be lucky to even get that much.

• Thumbs Up 1

If they're doing a whole week of Sonic stuff I'd be legitimately surprised if there wasn't something announced. 

Just feels like it'd be kind of a waste to not make some kind of announcement. 

There’s certainly a lot of other things they could put in this, even if they don’t have a game ready to share.  More remixes, some of their favorite fan works, a behind the scenes look at their work, etc.  But even if they did have a game ready to share, it sounds like this event is more about the past than the future.

I love how  "Larry, the guy behind Forces leak" is the new "From the people who brought you Colors and Generations". 

Of course it's not real, but it is part of the fun.

10 minutes ago, Wraith said:

Any leak that mentions competing with Mario can be discounted by default.

Lost World has shown us all that this idea of competing with Mario as much as possible was a very bad idea indeed, right?

32 minutes ago, Jack out of the comics! said:

I love how  "Larry, the guy behind Forces leak" is the new "From the people who brought you Colors and Generations". 

Ok, so I know an ex-employee by the name of Larry (the same guy who the 4Chan leaker says he knows) and he said to expect the following three things:

- People will post shitty "leaks and rumours" claiming to either be him or be friends of his.

- People to share said-shitty leaks and rumours on various social media pages and forums because they personally believe that they're real but pretending that they're obviously fake so that they don't get told off for spreading rumours and also so that they don't look foolish when they're proven false.

- Twitter and YouTube will freak out when there's no major news.

This sounds pretty hype to me! What do you guys think?

• Thumbs Up 1
  • Way Past Cool 1

2 minutes ago, Blue Blood said:

- People to share said-shitty leaks and rumours on various fan communities believing that they're real but pretending that they're obviously fake so that they don't get told off for spreading rumours and so that they don't look foolish when they're proven false.

That sounds like a conspiracy mess to me.

I posted it because honestly I wanted to poke fun at fake leaks and 4chan rumors. It was probably unnecessary on my part?

4 minutes ago, Jack out of the comics! said:

That sounds like a conspiracy mess to me.

I posted it because honestly I wanted to poke fun at fake leaks and 4chan rumors. It was probably unnecessary on my part?

I was poking fun at the Twitter guy mainly, not you. :) But I do generally think we just shouldn't bother posting these rumours at all, unless their actually credible. Just don't bother giving the fake ones any attention.

• Thumbs Up 1
  • Nice Smile 1

10 minutes ago, Miragnarok said:

Lost World has shown us all that this idea of competing with Mario as much as possible was a very bad idea indeed, right?

Nothing to do with that. They're just business partners now who are more likely to collaborate, promote eachother, and stay out of one another's way rather than "compete" for the same audience. That framing just sets off alarm bells for me. Highly unlikely anyone close to sega sees Nintendo that way still

19 minutes ago, Wraith said:

Nothing to do with that. They're just business partners now who are more likely to collaborate, promote eachother, and stay out of one another's way rather than "compete" for the same audience. That framing just sets off alarm bells for me. Highly unlikely anyone close to sega sees Nintendo that way still

That said, I don't think it's at all unlikely to see SEGA and Sonic trying to follow Nintendo and Mario's beats. For one, SEGA jumped on board the retro-series revival train with Sonic 4 a decade ago after NSMB (and others like MM9) popularised the idea. Then there was the aforementioned Lost World which was shamefully riffing off Mario in the worst way. And more recently SEGA put out the Mega Drive Mini; the NES and SNES Classics were pretty decent and other companies efforts mixed, but SEGA's late dip into that market was virtually unrivalled in terms of delivery.

A collection of old Sonic games, namely 3D ones, wouldn't be put out to compete with Mario (or Spyro and Crash), but there's a lesson to be learned there and it wouldn't surprise me if SEGA took note. Whether or not they do it well or do it badly is another matter...

39 minutes ago, Jack out of the comics! said:

I'd buy most of this honestly but I don't know something about the Mega Collection is ringing really false to me. Also I say this as someone who hasn't grown cynical to Sonic Team or Sega but I would 100% expect the "gaming crossover" to be a Fortnite skin or something. 

31 minutes ago, Blue Blood said:

That said, I don't think it's at all unlikely to see SEGA and Sonic trying to follow Nintendo and Mario's beats. For one, SEGA jumped on board the retro-series revival train with Sonic 4 a decade ago after NSMB (and others like MM9) popularised the idea. Then there was the aforementioned Lost World which was shamefully riffing off Mario in the worst way. And more recently SEGA put out the Mega Drive Mini; the NES and SNES Classics were pretty decent and other companies efforts mixed, but SEGA's late dip into that market was virtually unrivalled in terms of delivery.

A collection of old Sonic games, namely 3D ones, wouldn't be put out to compete with Mario (or Spyro and Crash), but there's a lesson to be learned there and it wouldn't surprise me if SEGA took note. Whether or not they do it well or do it badly is another matter...

I don't believe they'll put in the effort for anything besides a 2D collection personally but i'd love to be wrong. 

• Thumbs Up 1

I have no particular reason to believe online leaks, but to fair, they aren’t always false.  The leaked Sonic movie info was constantly confirmed; the one exception being the silence phones PSA.  

A compilation of past games is actually not all that’s unlikely, since it’s easier than making a new game.

A cinematic-only trailer for an upcoming game is also not too farfetched, as again, making that is probably easier than making a Sonic game itself.

Note that even if I operate on the notion that this leak is true, my expectations are still, in effect, low.  This company’s apparent ideal for Sonic is contrary to my wishes, along with many other people’s.

Remember when a lot of people expected Bubsy to be in SF?  It’s funny how much more monumental that game would have been if that was true.  Not in a good way, but it would have made the game something other than forgettably meh.

2 minutes ago, Wraith said:

I don't believe they'll put in the effort for anything besides a 2D collection personally but i'd love to be wrong. 

I don't really believe they'd put effort effort into a 2D collection tbh. We got the AGES versions of S1 and S2, which have a couple of nice new features but are otherwise inferior to the Stealth Tax versions and all of those new features could have been added into the StealthTax versions anyway...

Given it's postion at the start of December, this Sonic week is in an ideal place to begin the gradual transition from focus on SEGA 60 in 2020 to the Sonic 30th in 2021. I'd be very surprised if they don't bring up the incoming anniversary at least once even in passing.

I don't see any new game announcements coming till next year though, maybe a slight wink and a "stay tuned" type of thing but no specific info or trailers.

Given the involvement of Steam in these recent SEGA 60th celebrations though, and recent talks from SEGA about more ports to come, this could be a great time for them to bring the likes of Unleashed or Colours to PC either as a stealth drop or for release in the coming weeks.

As for the main 30th anniversary release(s), I think it really depends on when they're currently scheduled to release. A new 3D game would likely occupy the usual October/November slot (again, assuming production wasn't delayed) in which case the latest they'd likely announce it is May (Sonic Colours wasn't announced until May 26th, although there were various other releases that year). Either way I expect we're at least a few months away yet from them finally letting the cat out of the bag with what they've been working on. 

• Thumbs Up 3

"Larry" lmao.

I wonder how long until people stop giving credit to these 4chan "leaks". Every so often one will get a detail or two right from educated guess and we go right back to believing the next one.

The points on this sound like the kinda things they'd do tho, bar the collection game.

The Sonic Forces mobile game has put up a coming soon thing about their card events coming from 3/12/20. It links the 60th Anniversary site and a mini-tie-in event in the same post. I'm almost certain one of the things for Sonic will involve it.

• Thumbs Up 1

Not to mention a patch for Sonic Dash said “keep an eye out for the return of a legendary character”. Tie-in to Sonic Week Maybe?