Awoo.

SEGA 60th- Sonic week (December 2-9, 2020)

Graystripe2000

10 hours ago, Your Vest Friend said:

The Sonic Forces mobile game has put up a coming soon thing about their card events coming from 3/12/20. It links the 60th Anniversary site and a mini-tie-in event in the same post. I'm almost certain one of the things for Sonic will involve it.

9 hours ago, Graystripe2000 said:

Not to mention a patch for Sonic Dash said “keep an eye out for the return of a legendary character”. Tie-in to Sonic Week Maybe? 

For Speed Battle the event will give cards for several special characters (Lantern Silver, Spring Cream and Vampire Shadow) and then some cards for Classic Sonic (I assume, given the wording of that post) at a later date.

For Sonic Dash: I think the "Legendary Character" was Excalibur Sonic. Although I think theres gonna be a Classic Sonic event.

EDIT: Yeah it's wallpapers and avatars that we've seen before:

18 hours ago, Blue Blood said:

I was poking fun at the Twitter guy mainly, not you. :) But I do generally think we just shouldn't bother posting these rumours at all, unless their actually credible. Just don't bother giving the fake ones any attention.

BUT MY UNCLE.....

So guys, wallpapers, eh? Better check that out already. Are we expecting more or...?

There'll probably be more - it is a Sonic Week after all - but it's probably not going to be anymore substantial than the other 'weeks'. 

• Thumbs Up 3

1 hour ago, Tracker_TD said:

There'll probably be more - it is a Sonic Week after all - but it's probably not going to be anymore substantial than the other 'weeks'. 

Thank you. I really don't know why people heard Sonic Week and thought it'd all be on day 1.

Nah, I don't think there will be more, within SEGA 60th which is strictly that. I speculate we may get a new Christmas animated short, as a gift, with potential clues for the next game. That's my prediction.

Wasn't expecting anything but I was at least hoping for a new interview since it was mentioned earlier. Hopefully there are some real surprises later but I'm not holding my breath. 

• Thumbs Up 1

6 hours ago, SBR2 said:

Thank you. I really don't know why people heard Sonic Week and thought it'd all be on day 1.

This first day was underwhelming even with lowered expectations.  It isn’t hard to draw and color a new picture of a character, or reposition a model in whatever 3D program they use and render it again.  If somehow the people working there can’t do this, SEGA needs to fire them, hire new people, or both of the above, because people do that sort of thing on DeviantArt for free, daily.

But I’m being facetious.  SEGA’s artists obviously have that ability, as demonstrated by Sonic Channel.  The problem seems to be more that SEGA insists on scheduling these hyped up events without considering whether they have anything of interest to show in them.  I don’t understand why, at this point, they don’t just work at whatever pace they do and reveal things as they get done, without worrying about announcing the reveals beforehand or fitting them into a schedule of events.

1 hour ago, Scritch the Cat said:

This first day was underwhelming even with lowered expectations.  It isn’t hard to draw and color a new picture of a character, or reposition a model in whatever 3D program they use and render it again.  If somehow the people working there can’t do this, SEGA needs to fire them, hire new people, or both of the above, because people do that sort of thing on DeviantArt for free, daily.

But I’m being facetious.  SEGA’s artists obviously have that ability, as demonstrated by Sonic Channel.  The problem seems to be more that SEGA insists on scheduling these hyped up events without considering whether they have anything of interest to show in them.  I don’t understand why, at this point, they don’t just work at whatever pace they do and reveal things as they get done, without worrying about announcing the reveals beforehand or fitting them into a schedule of events.

This hasn't just been an event squared on Sonic. The rest of weeks have had things of note in them; Humankind's release date and the interviews with Sato-san and Okunari-san come to mind. So there have been things of interest; just not particularly for Sonic in this instance. 

Even then, this event wasn't even particularly hyped up, given they outright said what the event would entail at the start of it. Furthermore, using hobbyists as a measure for this is idiotic; they don't do stuff "daily" unless you factor in a wide collective of artists on different schedules and timezones. SEGA's official team are also beholden to checks, legal clearances and revisions and mandates from the top brass, and you don't need that kind of thing to dump your Sonic gMod posing on DA. 

With that out of the way - yes, just posting a 2 year old interview for the first day is naff. And I hope there's something a bit more substantial later in the week. But suggesting people get fired over this is just daft. 

• Thumbs Up 4
  • Fist Bump 1

A fresh interview would be enough to satisfy me since it's been a while, but if they had one I'm not sure why they wouldn't lead with it. Just not gonna hold my breath either way.

I'd keep my expectations at a flat zero. Don't expect any Sonic announcement without like six months of Sega building it up with clues and all that garbage first. 

Admittedly I'd love to be surprised, but being surprised at this company is particularly hard these days. lol

• Thumbs Up 3

I don't think the other interviews dropped on Day 1 of their respective weeks; and Okunari-san's just kind of came out of nowhere. So I'm not totally cynical, but I don't blame other folks for being lol

• Thumbs Up 1

Even if we get nothing substantial it'll probably still be better than Spirit Week at my old middle school. I'll take what I can get.

• Thumbs Up 1

I think for that interview to be included in this Sonic showcase is a good, albeit still ambiguous, sign!! 

If the collaboration between SEGA and Christian Whitehead ended after Mania, even if it was on good terms, it would still be an unusual choice..  and moreso if there wasn't going to be another 2D game it would be even stranger!! 

Before Sonic Mania, something of its kind seemed impossible, i can't remember anyone having ever predicted it, and those who knew it was being created were good at keeping the secret!!  I am sure the same is true today!! :) :) 

8 hours ago, Tracker_TD said:

This hasn't just been an event squared on Sonic. The rest of weeks have had things of note in them; Humankind's release date and the interviews with Sato-san and Okunari-san come to mind. So there have been things of interest; just not particularly for Sonic in this instance. 

Even then, this event wasn't even particularly hyped up, given they outright said what the event would entail at the start of it. Furthermore, using hobbyists as a measure for this is idiotic; they don't do stuff "daily" unless you factor in a wide collective of artists on different schedules and timezones. SEGA's official team are also beholden to checks, legal clearances and revisions and mandates from the top brass, and you don't need that kind of thing to dump your Sonic gMod posing on DA. 

With that out of the way - yes, just posting a 2 year old interview for the first day is naff. And I hope there's something a bit more substantial later in the week. But suggesting people get fired over this is just daft. 

I wasn’t suggesting that they use hobbyists to make art; I brought up DA as a means of pointing out how easy it is to make art.  Granted, wallpapers and avatars are so anticlimactic that even if the ones they released HAD been new, people might not have even noticed.

Oh goodie, 4chan rumors again 

When the shit are we gonna get some actual news because I'm not hyped for anything whatsoever, I'm expecting a slightly above mediocre attempt by Sega to redeem themselves with Forces that theyll still magically bastardize then scratch their heads wondering how they messed up again. Or was putting us in an info void supposed to get me excited? I'm sure when we finally get a teaser trailer of sonic running forward 3 months before the game comes out, we all say that the wait was definetely worth it. 

Please Sega I love you with nearly every other IP you own but I've come to realize guys are really starting to suck with sonic the hedgehog as far as the games are concerned, just give me a PC port of unleashed so I can enjoy 3D sonic again cause Generations has become boring and Forces just sucked. 

Actually, larry was definetely right on one thing while he was larping on 4chan, there will almost definetely be a sonic mega collection type game, and its gonna be so disappointing. People have been asking it for years, sega will listen and screw it up. All I want is unleashed, I know I'm not gonna get it. The pack will probably have sonic 1, 2, 3(not s3&k), sadx, sa2 and heroes and colors. Probably not even colors. The end. The absolute safe bets, the games you can already get for 1-2 bucks each already and can play on a toaster with any cpu in it. 

Apologies for the bleak post but seeing another magical 4chan leak reveal everything after coincidentally just a few minutes earlier having read another sonic 4chan leak just kinda made me realize how dumb this situation is. We are in an absolute void in this franchise with only a single good (2D) game in the past 10 years on a mountain of subpar quality content. The only info we get are 4chan leaks, announcements of possible announcements and annoying riddles and puzzles on twitter. I've lost nearly all interest I've had in this franchise the past year and a half.

Oh and if we're not getting another Mania-type game either this anniversary or the next few years after then Sega really doesnt even deserve this franchise anymore. 

Feel free to call me out for anything here or how I'm not giving sega a fair chance or something like that. I'll listen, but you'd really have try hard to convince me to go lighter on sega here. I will rescind all criticisms when I see undeniable proof the next game will actually be worth the full price and not something that convinces me that Sonic would be better off as anything but a video game at this point.

download.jpeg

50 minutes ago, McGroose said:

Oh goodie, 4chan rumors again 

When the shit are we gonna get some actual news because I'm not hyped for anything whatsoever, I'm expecting a slightly above mediocre attempt by Sega to redeem themselves with Forces that theyll still magically bastardize then scratch their heads wondering how they messed up again. Or was putting us in an info void supposed to get me excited? I'm sure when we finally get a teaser trailer of sonic running forward 3 months before the game comes out, we all say that the wait was definetely worth it. 

Please Sega I love you with nearly every other IP you own but I've come to realize guys are really starting to suck with sonic the hedgehog as far as the games are concerned, just give me a PC port of unleashed so I can enjoy 3D sonic again cause Generations has become boring and Forces just sucked. 

Actually, larry was definetely right on one thing while he was larping on 4chan, there will almost definetely be a sonic mega collection type game, and its gonna be so disappointing. People have been asking it for years, sega will listen and screw it up. All I want is unleashed, I know I'm not gonna get it. The pack will probably have sonic 1, 2, 3(not s3&k), sadx, sa2 and heroes and colors. Probably not even colors. The end. The absolute safe bets, the games you can already get for 1-2 bucks each already and can play on a toaster with any cpu in it. 

Apologies for the bleak post but seeing another magical 4chan leak reveal everything after coincidentally just a few minutes earlier having read another sonic 4chan leak just kinda made me realize how dumb this situation is. We are in an absolute void in this franchise with only a single good (2D) game in the past 10 years on a mountain of subpar quality content. The only info we get are 4chan leaks, announcements of possible announcements and annoying riddles and puzzles on twitter. I've lost nearly all interest I've had in this franchise the past year and a half.

Oh and if we're not getting another Mania-type game either this anniversary or the next few years after then Sega really doesnt even deserve this franchise anymore. 

Feel free to call me out for anything here or how I'm not giving sega a fair chance or something like that. I'll listen, but you'd really have try hard to convince me to go lighter on sega here. I will rescind all criticisms when I see undeniable proof the next game will actually be worth the full price and not something that convinces me that Sonic would be better off as anything but a video game at this point.

download.jpeg

Speaking of... how’s IDW going for you? I’m also surprised there weren’t even wallpapers this time. Well, at least the franchise has just pushed 1 billion games...

Lets be positive as we've learned from previous years.We are Sonic fans and we have hope that in the end the product will turn out right.Sure we've had our up's and down's but let us never forget who we are.

I do wish we had an interview about Dreamcast era SEGA. I'm just tired of talking Genesis over and over. But the NEW interview is nice. 

Given where it was believed that 'Larry' was working in Sega.

Odds are he was made redundant a few years ago.

That's not me joking either that's almost certainly what happened.

10 hours ago, LeviTheGreat said:

Lets be positive as we've learned from previous years.We are Sonic fans and we have hope that in the end the product will turn out right.Sure we've had our up's and down's but let us never forget who we are.

I’m not sure what exactly informs your opinion of who or what Sonic fans are.  I’d never try to paint the whole fanbase as akin to the noisy obnoxious minority; many Sonic fans are fine and some, like Christian Whitehead and Tyson Hesse, seem positively brilliant.  But a lot of us are also finicky, jaded enough by past disappointments to see SEGA as the company that cried wolf until further notice, and insistent upon what we think Sonic should be and vocally critical when it deviates from that.  I don’t see such as anything to be ashamed of.

Anyway, those interviews were new but I don’t think anything was said in them that hasn’t been said before.  I appreciate them, though, on the level that their Sonic week is giving it’s dues to America.  Not that I’m super-nationalistic, but it’s undeniable that Americans overall like Sonic a lot more than Japanese do.  LastI checked, Iizuka planned to build the successor to Sonic Team in the USA; I’m not sure if that is still true, but I hope so.  With the exception that I think it would be worth doing some development in Australia if it meant Christian Whitehead partaking in it.

• Thumbs Up 1

I'm not super cynical on Sonic, but I just would like something new to engage with other than the deep past, or at least feel like something is moving. 

Even something like Tangle and Whisper being added to Sonic Dash was exciting because it added a sense of the series moving. It was just a new development.

All this waiting while the last main game was Forces is just agonizing, because Forces was so much of nothing, and Mania Plus and TSR were not enough to fill the gaping hole of that game. 

• Thumbs Up 1

The next interview hits tomorrow and is with... Nagoshi! Which I'm obviously fine with but I suppose it is a bit of an odd thing to drop in Sonic Week. 

• Absolutely 1