Awoo.

What would YOU like seeing for Sonic's Big 20th?

EXshad

Sonic hasn't had a truly "great" home console game since Sonic Adventure 2, way back on the Dreamcast.

Define "great" ...

What would I like to see for his 20th? A collectable for sure, maybe some chibi figures or a small statue with a pre-order. A Pre-order to what? Maybe a new generation classic looking Sonic game that runs exactly the same on all three consoles, have an extra feature for each of the individual formats and a bonus disc with maybe Sonic 1 and 2 re-done with modern day graphics and what not.

The collectable is what I'd really be after, but I'd be happy with a game that people would enjoy and not moan about (I know, thats tough)

• Thumbs Up 1

Sonic hasn't had a truly "great" home console game since Sonic Adventure 2, way back on the Dreamcast.

Define "great" ...

What would I like to see for his 20th? A collectable for sure, maybe some chibi figures or a small statue with a pre-order. A Pre-order to what? Maybe a new generation classic looking Sonic game that runs exactly the same on all three consoles, have an extra feature for each of the individual formats and a bonus disc with maybe Sonic 1 and 2 re-done with modern day graphics and what not.

The collectable is what I'd really be after, but I'd be happy with a game that people would enjoy and not moan about (I know, thats tough)

That is a thing every developer would like too.

I myself would like a fully 3D game (at least one final one) that has generally the same mechanics and physics of Adventure 2 but improved on. It was obvious they tried to do this with Sonic 06 but didn't execute it properly and Unleashed just feels weird when you jump and jump dash. Basically I think Adventure 2 is the perfect skeleton start on but they really need to work on level design. I'd like to see the levels have more exploration and platforming. I'd like to see multiple characters playable but optional, very much like Black Knight jwere you could play the through the story with whoever you wanted, but they all need to be unique (Shadow really needs to focus on Chaos Abilities instead of cloning Sonic) and this allows characters to find different pathways in levels. I think dividing characters into Speed, Power, and Flight types would be good for this though maybe not that strict of a division like you would just kind of know Tails is more of a flight type while Knuckles is more of a power type without the game actually telling it right on screen then characters like Silver would sort of be able to take power or flight ways. The graphics should be like Unleashed.

That fan game, Ashura the Dark Reign, would also be pretty awesome if they did something like that, at least for level design.

Just to clarify what I meant earlier by skate park, here's an image I found on Wikipedia that is my idea of what a 3D Sonic should look like. Imagine that guy is Sonic, and shrink him down to about 1/5 of his size. Imagine some water, a bridge, some chomping fish Badniks, throw in a loop, and color the hills with checkers. Sonic speeds up embankments and over onto land, runs up walls and finds floating platforms, etc. Get creative with that. Hills are for rolling.

Portlandskate.jpg

We have to imagine so much XO. But I guess, I can see where your going. But, I think haveing so many hills would be sort of annoying.

Just to clarify what I meant earlier by skate park, here's an image I found on Wikipedia that is my idea of what a 3D Sonic should look like. Imagine that guy is Sonic, and shrink him down to about 1/5 of his size. Imagine some water, a bridge, some chomping fish Badniks, throw in a loop, and color the hills with checkers. Sonic speeds up embankments and over onto land, runs up walls and finds floating platforms, etc. Get creative with that. Hills are for rolling.

Portlandskate.jpg

Although this is a near-perfect representation of what a Sonic game should be like, don't forget that there should be some ordinary flatland areas as well, alot of emphasis on platforming in many areas, and tons of multiple routes to go through.

Right, just noticed this:

Global Illumination is a type of lighting model that reproduces a real phenomenon.

Hmm.. or maybe it looked too artificial because of the cartoonish coat on everything. I'd be pretty cool to see something different, like photo-realism, like in those newer Grand Turismo games. Along with other graphical effects like bloom lighting, color saturation, etc. I think that would give a sense of surrealism.

imagine an environment that looked like this: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mUCmCO_U794&feature=channel_page

Edited by lounge
  • Bad Quality Post 1

Somehow you tried to use photo-realism and surrealism in the same sentence. And you're complaining that a Sonic the Hedgehog game has a cartoonish coat covering it? It's SONIC THE HEDGEHOG for crying out loud. =P

And a Sonic environment looking like that? Err.. no. Sonic is supposed to be about stuff that's out-of-this-world, not what's directly in it. That's why I didn't care for the way Unleashed did the stages. Sonic isn't supposed to look like real life.

However, if you want a surreal world with realistic details, then maybe I could cope with that.

Edited by Azukara

And you're complaining that a Sonic the Hedgehog game has a cartoonish coat covering it? It's SONIC THE HEDGEHOG for crying out loud. =P

Nothing wrong with experimenting with graphics. When they first showed the first screens for Zelda: Wind Waker, everybody flipped the hell out, including me. "This isn't zelda, zelda isn't supposed to look like a stupid cartoon! The series is dead!" But when everyone played it, they enjoyed. Cause it was something different. A new feeling and atmosphere, while still maintaning the game design fans love.

And a Sonic environment looking like that? Err.. no. Sonic is supposed to be about stuff that's out-of-this-world, not what's directly in it.
I used that as an example for its effects, beauty and surrealism. Doesn't matter if it's a mushroom or green hill forest. As long as it has those qualities.
  • Thumbs Up 1

When they first showed the first screens for Zelda: Wind Waker, everybody flipped the hell out, including me. "This isn't zelda, zelda isn't supposed to look like a stupid cartoon! The series is dead!"

The Legend of Zelda didn't get a serious look on it until Ocarina of Time. Before then, it had a very cartoony/animeish feel to it.

But when everyone played it, they enjoyed. Cause it was something different. A new feeling and atmosphere, while still maintaning the game design fans love.

I thought that way about Nextgen before we found out it was trash. I was starting to believe it would've been a great example of what you're saying, but Sega failed at making it good, thus leading to utter terror.

Really, I wish Nextgen would've been that game you mentioned. But thanks to lazy programmers and a terrible storyline and such, it... well, wasn't.

A game I enjoy, basically.

Also a more obscure thing - awesome remixes of the entire Sonic 1 and 2 soundtracks - from the master system/game gear versions. They need to be remixed as they are such awesome, ambient, and catchy tunes. Some of them are also sad like Scrap Brain (one of my favourites) and Aqua Lake.

I'd like to see a follow up to Sonic Unleashed, only without the Werehog mechanic and involving playing as Sonic (as before), Tails (navigate various hubs for parts, build/upgrade ships, on-rails shooters like in Unleashed) and Knuckles (Werehog-like gameplay only with gliding/digging instead of that tedious balancing act and more emphasis on the combat), preferably involving Metal Sonic in some way.

Another compilation wouldn't hurt, as long as it contained Knuckles' Chaotix and SEGASonic Arcade, maybe even Sonic Pocket Adventure, and Trophies/Accomplishments. Some kind of handheld Sonic game would be nice too, maybe another 2D platforming venture like Sonic Rush.

To be honest though, if the first option wouldn't be made, I'd default back to my dream of a Sonic fighter handled by the Smash Brothers team that is basically Brawl but with an all-Sonic cast and sheen; God knows there is plenty of material and characters to pull from to make an all-out Sonic game, and it would be a fitting tribute to Sonic's history if it contained as many playable fighting characters as possible, as well as various power ups and character assists like in Brawl, and would be an interesting spin-off of that series (I'm giving the benefit of the doubt to game fans that they would see it not as a rip off using the same engine because it'd be developed by the exact same team, thus it would be more of a spin-off/follow up).

In response to the topic question...

Something 3D. Sonic Unleashed 2 sounds great to me, Werehog or no Werehog - or an all new adventure that's separated from anything else. Whatever.

Something NEW, not this Sonic Anniversary compilation we've been hearing about. That's a lazy and bullshit way to mark Sonic's 20th. Make a new game, damn it, and do Sonic's 20th justice.

Green eyes. :( I don't want Needlemouse to be pushed forward to 2011. Hell, I don't even want Needlemouse at all. I want a Sonic who still has green eyes and still talks... not a boring two-dimensional (in more ways than one) character whose personality and attitude is nothing more than foot-tapping and finger-waving. I like the Sonic I know now. ;_;

• Thumbs Up 1
  • Bad Quality Post 1

Green eyes. :( I don't want Needlemouse to be pushed forward to 2011. Hell, I don't even want Needlemouse at all. I want a Sonic who still has green eyes and still talks... not a boring two-dimensional (in more ways than one) character whose personality and attitude is nothing more than foot-tapping and finger-waving. I like the Sonic I know now. ;_;

Hey, us old-school Sonic fans didn't want Shadow, Riders, or Nextgen, but look what happened. <_< Plus, old Sonic? Boring? Two-dimensional (in more ways than one)? No attitude? Lol.

It's about time we got we wanted. Sheesh. [/retrofanboyrant]

EDIT: Sorry about the rant. It just had to be said.

Edited by Azukara
  • Thumbs Up 2
  • Bad Quality Post 2

Hey, us old-school Sonic fans didn't want Shadow, Riders, or Nextgen, but look what happened. <_< Plus, old Sonic? Boring? Two-dimensional (in more ways than one)? No attitude? Lol.

Gonna have to agree with this, Newfags complain about Needlemouse as if Retrofags haven't been shit on for the past 10+ years as well. Plus, I highly doubt that Project Needlemouse is going to be THAT much like the classics in terms of characterization and character designs, I'm betting that Sonic will still have his new look in it and probably will still talk and such.

And even if he doesn't, even if in this one game they actually listen to classic fans and make close to everything just like the classic titles, is it really that bad if SEGA make this one game to please classic fans who've been waiting for a more retro experience? Is that really that much of a detriment to your yearly cycle of playing 3D, glitchy, overpriced, gimmicky games?

• Thumbs Up 1

The topic asked, 'What would YOU like seeing for Sonic's Big 20th?' I was just answering the question.

Pardon? You guys got what you wanted? Then please enlighten me as to why the majority in this forum - even the retro fans - couldn't stop complaining when the Needlemouse announcement was first made. That's sure a funny way of showing you wanted something. <_< [/modernfangirlrant]

Like I said, though, I was just saying what I wanted, which is what the topic asked for. You can be happy about Needlemouse if you want.

Gonna have to agree with this, Newfags complain about Needlemouse as if Retrofags haven't been shit on for the past 10+ years as well. Plus, I highly doubt that Project Needlemouse is going to be THAT much like the classics in terms of characterization and character designs, I'm betting that Sonic will still have his new look in it and probably will still talk and such.

And even if he doesn't, even if in this one game they actually listen to classic fans and make close to everything just like the classic titles, is it really that bad if SEGA make this one game to please classic fans who've been waiting for a more retro experience? Is that really that much of a detriment to your yearly cycle of playing 3D, glitchy, overpriced, gimmicky games?

The topic asks what YOU WANT. I wasn't complaining, I was just saying that I would prefer a 3D game over Needlemouse. To each their own.

And Sonic Unleashed wasn't any more overpriced or glitchy than any other video game. As far as gimmicks... that's a matter of personal opinion. Gimmicks aren't automatically bad. I liked Werehog.

Edit: Sorry if I came across as being sorta unreasonable before. I tend to be sarcastic, and I know it's not like you can read tone of voice on the Internet. :unsure:

Edited by DC111

And Sonic Unleashed wasn't any more overpriced or glitchy than any other video game. As far as gimmicks... that's a matter of personal opinion. Gimmicks aren't automatically bad. I liked Werehog. <--THATS MAH OPINION.

I actually liked Unleashed, but I was just saying that it'd be nice to see a more classic-styled game for once.

I think there's some exaggerations and assumptions being thrown around here. The only issue I've got with your post DC, is that you say classic fans don't know what they want. Most of us want another game to call a classic.

I actually liked Unleashed, but I was just saying that it'd be nice to see a more classic-styled game for once.

That's cool. Like I said I prefer 3D, but it's not the end of the world for me if things go 2D for a while. It's the negative reaction towards Needlemouse from a lot of the retro fans that makes me sort of bitter about it; it just comes off as hypocritical to me.

That's cool. Like I said I prefer 3D, but it's not the end of the world for me if things go 2D for a while. It's the negative reaction towards Needlemouse from a lot of the retro fans that makes me sort of bitter about it; it just comes off as hypocritical to me.

The negative reactions towards Needlemouse aren't based on the game itself, but the fact that SEGA have promised this type of game many times before when that simply wasn't the case. As you can see, SEGA haven't shown any game to base any sort of legitimate opinion on Project Needlemouse yet, and currently it seems like the best possible idea for some fans as not to be disappointed is to hope for the best, but expect the worst. I don't blame them, since in many people's eyes Sonic hasn't been good since Sonic 3 & Knuckles. Out of all the "new" games (Any game after SA2), I've actually enjoyed Sonic Heroes and Sonic Unleashed quite a bit, but Shadow the Hedgehog and Sonic '06 left me with an extremely bad taste in my mouth, and I just didn't care about Sonic & the Black Knight enough to buy it.

I think there's some exaggerations and assumptions being thrown around here. The only issue I've got with your post DC, is that you say classic fans don't know what they want. Most of us want another game to call a classic.

This, sigging this.

• Thumbs Up 1

Here's what my ideal Sonic game would be, personally:

It would be very similar to the first Sonic Adventure and Sonic Unleashed (daytime) in the way its set up. Meaning 3D (*dun dun dun* XD), but with 2D sections like Sonic Unleashed. Massive levels like Speed Highway with loads of multiple ways you can go, but with the crazy surreal design of the classics (checkered hills, weird shape patterns on walls, etc.). A few different characters you can choose from (I'd say stick with the classic Sonic, Tails, Knuckles, and Sonic & Tails. But I suppose adding Blaze or maybe Amy in wouldn't hurt too much), each playing through the same levels but with their own special abilities that allow special paths that only that certain character can access.

The story set-up would be like Sonic 3 & Knuckles. Meaning the story is slightly different for each character (like Sonic going to the Death Egg and Knuckles fighting Egg Robo and Mecha Sonic). You also wouldn't have to play through each character's game to see the "final ending" if you don't want to, you'd just have to get all of the chaos emeralds as Sonic. Which also means that playing as Super Sonic in the main levels would be earned as well.

I don't have a specific story in mind, but Metal Sonic would return as a main antagonist. Oh, and I know many people here already agree with me on this, but Dr. Robotnik would be the final villain. No crazy monster written about in stone tablets this time. XD

So yeah, that's my idea of the perfect Sonic game set-up. Although what really matters above all is the gameplay, so as long as its not full of glitches and isn't completely frustrating, I'm happy. :) I can't wait to see what Sega has planned for Sonic's 20th!

This, sigging this.

Can you at least re-word that sig in such a way that my username isn't in there? There's no need for that. And that's not even what I said.

^ Sorry if I put words in your mouth. But I think it's a bit unfair to say classic fans are hypocrites when really all upcoming Sonic games get this kind of reaction. You sound like an optimist though, and so am I for things like saying the Werehog the best alternate gameplay style in the series (except maybe Knuckles). I just don't get the classic-modern divide since there's good games on both sides, why not just be a Sonic fan? Anyways. I'm derailing.

Edited by Ezra the Badnik