Awoo.

Why Silver Matters and Why He Deserves More

LeviTheGreat

Silver,The Futuristic Hedgehog of Tommorrow! I'm going too be honest here altough Sonic 06 wasn't the best game, Silver was the heart and soul of that game(in my opinion).  Often shown as the optimist(Shadow's polar opposite).  Now someone already had why Shadow matters(what i was going to do that but Silver's is cool too), im here to tell why i think Silver matters and why he deserves more.  Silver is what i call the punching bag of the Sonic The Hedgehog Series(see below) because 1.To some it's hillarious, 2.most character's kinda look at him as the oddball of the crew and 3. Since he's so nice he's easy to take advantage of.  So what can we do to fix the problem of him being the (metaphorical but sometimes literal) punching bag of the Sonic The Hedgehog Series.  Well i think we could have SIlver and Tails go together on their own adventures and have them encounter others and bring them to the resistance just an idea(if you have you're own feel free to put them below).  Now Silver is also blamed for being the downfall of Sonic 06(among other things),but lets think about this for a moment is it really fair to judge a character off one game? I don't think so Silver should be given a fair chance by all because Silver was created for a reason and that was for the gamers to enjoy and to give them a challenge.  Silver is well known for when he gives Sonic the chance to go back to the past and fix what he's done.  Now we have to realize that Silver(metaphorically speaking) is and  probably always be Sonic's reset button or key to the future.Silver goes to the future so Sonic doesn't have to and this can be useful for a couple reason's.  1.if Sonic is going everywhere on Mobius trying to help people don't you think he'll need some help, 2. if something comes up where they need to know what Eggman's up to or if the future is in danger Silver (along with Blaze)could really play a role in turning the tide against Eggman(along with his Mercenaries).  3.If anyone dies Silver can bring them back so basically if Silver is not down and out no one is. Other than that Silver is a symbol that represents a bright future for Sonic and his Friends.  All i'm saying is if i can give Silver a chance than so can you. I hope you enjoyed my forum and i hope you share you're thought's in the comments below.

Hoping for A Bright and Promising Future-LeviTheGreat

Ps.(Heh you see what i did there "A Bright and Promising Future")Related image

Oh, ok.

Well... 

Silver is alright. He didn’t ruin ‘06. No singular individual person can take all of the blame for that catastrophe.

spacer.png

Edited by KnuxDLX
  • Thumbs Up 2

Silver is supposed to be the character that offers variety. Everyone else focuses on going fast while Silver takes things at a slower pace and brings something new to the table.

In every Sonic game, you need something different from Sonic or it'll feel too repetitious. Having multiple playable characters makes the world feel larger, more believable, and it's almost necessary for a good tense storyline.

He has the exact problem as Shadow. Shadow had his story, but needs an excuse to hang out with Sonic other than the fact that the world is in danger again. He's also not supposed to be friendly with Sonic either... for whatever reason.

• Thumbs Up 2
  • Nice Smile 1

2 hours ago, chuckles404 said:

In every Sonic game, you need something different from Sonic or it'll feel too repetitious.

NO YOU DO NOT. AAAAUGH. WHY DO PEOPLE STILL BELIEVE THIS IN 2020.

If a game gets repetitive, that's not a sign that it's doing one thing too much, it's a sign that they're not making a gameplay style that can grip the player for an entire playthrough of any given game. This isn't even a sleight against the concept of having multiple playable characters in any given game, because there have been games that fulfill both conditions - multiple characters that all draw from a core style of play, yet are distinct enough from each other that even the seemingly smallest difference can completely alter the way they interact with the level design. There are plenty of entire different games I could play if I was in the mood for a platforming experience any slower than Sonic's, why in god's name would you want that shoehorned into one when Sonic fans of all walks clearly play them for a very specific purpose that almost no other platforming game can provide?

With this in mind, the way Silver was designed was a failing of the designers at its absolute most basic level, not just in its implementation. Not just because it's slow, but because it lacks any understanding of the flow that makes Sonic games enjoyable, and honestly, to the point that it's scarcely even a platformer anymore with some of the setpieces the games throw at you. Part of this, in the interests of fairness, is down to crap level design that focuses on wiping out every enemy in a section instead of just getting from point A to B, but even with THAT understanding in mind most of the actual combat in Silver's side of things is patiently standing in one spot and waiting for enemies to throw something you can grab and counter with. Which isn't just boring, it doesn't really have anything to do with Sonic, to the point that it feels like a completely different game clumsily shoehorned into this one. Which, irony of ironies, it very likely was.

This isn't to say I don't think Silver can't work in a Sonic game - I just think everyone's priorities in trying to re-implement him are completely misplaced. Silver absolutely SHOULDN'T be an outlier like he was in '06 - the whole cast should draw from a series of core fundementals and differentiate themselves with mobility quirks, and I don't believe Silver should be an exception. Assuming you use classic Sonic as a baseline and nearly everyone has some equivalent of a rolling jump and a spindash, and you have just a midair ability to differentiate characters with, that opens up a few options:

- Silver just gets his hovering ability. Which is kind of boring, but even this you can still do some neat momentum tricks with if you don't make Silver come to a dead stop the moment you release the left stick like he does in 06. If nothing else, you could use a spindashing start first, and then trigger a hover to hold onto that momentum as long as the level and your staminta allows you to.

- Silver makes a quick burst of movement forwards, knocking away enemies in his vicinity when it's triggered like a force push. The closest equivalent to this in 06 would be the not-so-aptly-named Teleport Dash, but again I'd remove the complete stop at the end so that the momentum carries over afterwards, in practice making it something more like the Thok from Sonic Robo Blast 2 with an AoE effect stapled on.

- You make Silver into a Klonoa expy, and design his mobility around grabbing enemies from a distance and dragging them to you first. Which could mean either using them on the spot and using enemies as an extra midair jump, or surfing on them to cover some lateral ground, like you can with GUN crates in 06. Given the choice, this is the option I'd pick personally, because I feel it's the perfect balance between representing his original method of attacking and applying it to a mobility based context where it should have been in the first place.

And that's just one move - given his implementation into an Adventure-like game where multiple buttons are used, or even in a Boost title where he can now more or less keep pace with Sonic even at Boost speeds (as of Generations), there's even more you could do with it at any one time, or even mix and match several of these together at once as the level and overall game design asks of it. I think the biggest barriers to bringing Silver back in earnest are mostly narrative based at this stage, but honestly if Silver can return in Forces with absolutely no explanation as to why he's right there and not in the distant future, I think it's fair to say that an overarching canon between games is no longer a concern between Sega and Sonic Team. =V

• Thumbs Up 3
  • Nice Smile 1

I like Silver as a character. He provides a completely unique personality and perspective on most situations. That's worth keeping to me even if the logistics of his presence don't add up all that well. I just wish they'd cut the crap and have him stay in the present like everyone else. 

As far as gameplay goes I don't consider him more of a liability than someone like Amy with no obvious movement abilities. It just takes some brain power to be able to put something together that's fun while leaning into his appeal.

Known Silver hater Azookara threw together a concept for a simplistic moveset that I liked.

image.png.41917cba786b12ebcd9b133d9467004b.png

Essentially, focusing SIlver around the feeling you get from hoarding items/rings in a slower playthrough and doubling down on it, letting him pocket certain badniks to use as ammo(or as platforms if we were going to add some spice from Blacklightning's post). Maybe you could even extend this logic to shields. He can take an extra with him if he already has one, giving him more defense than most of the cast. 

• Thumbs Up 3
  • Nice Smile 1

This is just my personal opinion, but wouldn't Silver be better suited to having his own game so you don't have to constrain his abilities to be line with Sonic's? I don't wanna call it an issue, but these characters all have amazing abilities that don't really get any focus because they're forced to conform to the mold set by Sonic. 

• Thumbs Up 4
  • Nice Smile 2

10 hours ago, chuckles404 said:

In every Sonic game, you need something different from Sonic or it'll feel too repetitious. 

Imagine saying this for Tetris.

Or most puzzle games...

Or every SMUP ever made...

Or driving game...

Or Crash Bandicoot.

.. .. Uncharted... ... 

You know I could just list off multiple games which have 1 playable character or only offer 1 stage which has a significant change in gameplay compared to the rest of it...

• Thumbs Up 1
  • Promotion 1

52 minutes ago, Kuzu said:

This is just my personal opinion, but wouldn't Silver be better suited to having his own game so you don't have to constrain his abilities to be line with Sonic's? I don't wanna call it an issue, but these characters all have amazing abilities that don't really get any focus because they're forced to conform to the mold set by Sonic. 

Maybe, but something like that existing is unrealistic. He's fairly likely to continue being in Sonic games, so I figure they might as well figure out a way to make it go over smoother. 

• Thumbs Up 2

43 minutes ago, Kuzu said:

Tails and Knuckles have fantastic, and wildly different skill sets from Sonic and they have never felt constrained by having to be in-line with the core playstyle.

Its only a matter of understanding that core playstyle and designing the moveset and level designs that cater to those themes. You don't have to hold Silver back to allow him to fit in. You can still play to his strengths while also creating something that is up-tempo and flowing.

Give him some better, more mobile offensive options to take the hurt to enemies while at speed. The Psychic Knives from his Gens boss battle could work. As could an ability to pick up throw-able objects as he moves past at speed. In 06, his only 2 self-initiated offensive weapons required him to come to a complete stop at danger-close range to an enemy. That's a complete design fail. 

Cater badnik designs that can be fought and countered while on-the-go. Much like how Colors re-invented the motobug to be more of a pursuit model that could provide Sonic some fodder in boost segments, you can do the same for Silver. The vast majority of the badniks in 06 were severely limited in their mobility, which slowed down the game. If your going to make him fight, then allow him to fight on the go.

A lot of this can be fixed from a design standpoint. The dev team had to come in with the goal of using Sonic as the base, and then building up what makes the next character unique and fun.

• Thumbs Up 1

3 minutes ago, Sega DogTagz said:

Tails and Knuckles have fantastic, and wildly different skill sets from Sonic and they have never felt constrained by having to be in-line with the core playstyle.

Its only a matter of understanding that core playstyle and designing the moveset and level designs that cater to those themes. You don't have to hold Silver back to allow him to fit in. You can still play to his strengths while also creating something that is up-tempo and flowing.

Give him some better, more mobile offensive options to take the hurt to enemies while at speed. The Psychic Knives from his Gens boss battle could work. As could an ability to pick up throw-able objects as he moves past at speed. In 06, his only 2 self-initiated offensive weapons required him to come to a complete stop at danger-close range to an enemy. That's a complete design fail. 

Cater badnik designs that can be fought and countered while on-the-go. Much like how Colors re-invented the motobug to be more of a pursuit model that could provide Sonic some fodder in boost segments, you can do the same for Silver. The vast majority of the badniks in 06 were severely limited in their mobility, which slowed down the game. If your going to make him fight, then allow him to fight on the go.

A lot of this can be fixed from a design standpoint. The dev team had to come in with the goal of using Sonic as the base, and then building up what makes the next character unique and fun.

But the difference is that Tails and Knuckles were designed from the getgo to fit into Sonic's mold, with level design because much larger to accommodate and even then, their abilities don't stray too far away from Sonic's.

Silver wasn't designed like that, he was designed with another philosophy in mind to take advantage of his psychokinesis skills. You COULD change him up to more line in with what Tails and Knuckles do, but then I kind of feel like you're missing out on the character's potential just to make him like everyone else.  

19 minutes ago, Wraith said:

Maybe, but something like that existing is unrealistic. He's fairly likely to continue being in Sonic games, so I figure they might as well figure out a way to make it go over smoother. 

*sigh* I get it, but it kind of reminds me how people prefer Shadow being a clone to Sonic after they started fleshing out his other abilities. I get that its not "What a Sonic game is", but it really hampers their potential to be anything more ya know. How many variations of Sonic can you get?

• Thumbs Up 1

1 minute ago, Kuzu said:

But the difference is that Tails and Knuckles were designed from the getgo to fit into Sonic's mold, with level design because much larger to accommodate and even then, their abilities don't stray too far away from Sonic's.

Silver wasn't designed like that, he was designed with another philosophy in mind to take advantage of his psychokinesis skills. You COULD change him up to more line in with what Tails and Knuckles do, but then I kind of feel like you're missing out on the character's potential just to make him like everyone else.  

I disagree

Silver either has - or been seen via gameplay/cutscene/boss battle - been shown to be able to duplicate each of the moves necessary to comply with the core of what Sonic games are. Its not a long list. Can you move quickly and build up speed? Cqheck. Can you jump and/or use your superpower to facilitate platforming? Check again.

Thats it. That's all Silver needs to be capable to fit into a Sonic formula. To say he wasn't designed in a way that could fit in is short-sighted considering how inclusive Sonic's play-style can be with a little bit of creativity.

I don't feel like we are taking anything away from Silver by adding a truckload of maneuverability to his playstyle. We don't have to loose much of anything that they were trying to accomplish with SIlver in 06 by asking that they make options to allow for those same moves to be performed while running. Silver can still catch and return fire of projectiles while running. Silver can still use his psychosis to alter his environment, while running. Silver can can still float, hover and fly - while running moving fast.

What potential do you feel are we missing out on?  What would a focus on additional mobility take away or limit?

• Thumbs Up 1
  • Nice Smile 1

9 minutes ago, Sega DogTagz said:

I disagree

Silver either has - or been seen via gameplay/cutscene/boss battle - been shown to be able to duplicate each of the moves necessary to comply with the core of what Sonic games are. Its not a long list. Can you move quickly and build up speed? Cqheck. Can you jump and/or use your superpower to facilitate platforming? Check again.

Thats it. That's all Silver needs to be capable to fit into a Sonic formula. To say he wasn't designed in a way that could fit in is short-sighted considering how inclusive Sonic's play-style can be with a little bit of creativity.

I don't feel like we are taking anything away from Silver by adding a truckload of maneuverability to his playstyle. We don't have to loose much of anything that they were trying to accomplish with SIlver in 06 by asking that they make options to allow for those same moves to be performed while running. Silver can still catch and return fire of projectiles while running. Silver can still use his psychosis to alter his environment, while running. Silver can can still float, hover and fly - while running moving fast.

What potential do you feel are we missing out on?  What would a focus on additional mobility take away or limit?

Well Iizuka even said he was designed to show off the havoc physics of the 360, and his gameplay is distinctly more focused on slower combat than movement. 

This is generally what I imagine what Silver would be capable of

Now obviously, this wouldn't fly in a mainline game where people expect speed and platforming, hence why I made the suggestion of giving him his own game where he doesn't have to conform to what Sonic is doing. 

I'm not saying you can't make Silver work in a traditional Sonic context, I would just prefer something that actually takes advantage of his abilities in his own way without encroaching on what Sonic is doing. 

• Thumbs Up 2
  • Nice Smile 1

1 hour ago, Kuzu said:

It's a bit late for that; like Blacklightning pointed out he likely was based on concepts for an unrelated game, but they went and put it in Sonic and now he's all entangled with that, and it'd be hard to find the freedom to build something that felt genuinely independent from Sonic, if he even had the popularity to justify a spinoff in the first place.

And honestly, if they were willing to genuinely go back to the drawing board with how they play, there's probably not many Sonic characters that couldn't work within some kind of standardized "Sonic" gameplay without abandoning their unique abilities. Telekinesis is a pretty flexible ability, it doesn't have to be just plodding around and waiting for something to throw, there's any number of ways they could use it to support faster, more fluid movement and attacks that aren't a complete bore.

• Thumbs Up 3

15 minutes ago, Kuzu said:

This is generally what I imagine what Silver would be capable of

I watched 3 or 4 mins of that and didn't see anything that wouldn't be easily do-able in a Sonic styled game.

Force push to eliminate enemies or knock down walls? Sure why not.

Eliminate most enemies in a single blow? Sounds sonic-y to me.

Deflecting projectiles left and right? Silver does that already.

Pick up and throw objects? Ditto.

There was nothing in that core game-play loop that can't work within the Sonic formula. So I'll ask a more specific question. What exactly does Silver miss out on by being asked to do his Psyco-Jedi-Mind-tricks on the move? What potential are we depriving of? How does asking Silver to conform to a faster paced playstyle limit the options available to developers?

Why is it worth divorcing him from the core playstyle of the franchise when you could just as easily incorporate every single one of those moves into the style everyone brought the disc to play?

• Thumbs Up 1
  • Nice Smile 1

I watched 3 or 4 mins of that and didn't see anything that wouldn't be easily do-able in a Sonic styled game.

Force push to eliminate enemies or knock down walls? Sure why not.

Eliminate most enemies in a single blow? Sounds sonic-y to me.

Deflecting projectiles left and right? Silver does that already.

Pick up and throw objects? Ditto.

There was nothing in that core game-play loop that can't work within the Sonic formula. So I'll ask a more specific question. What exactly does Silver miss out on by being asked to do his Psyco-Jedi-Mind-tricks on the move? What potential are we depriving of? How does asking Silver to conform to a faster paced playstyle limit the options available to developers?

Why is it worth divorcing him from the core playstyle of the franchise when you could just as easily incorporate every single on of those moves into the style everyone brought the disc to play?

Silver's gameplay style has always felt to be antithetical to traditional Sonic gameplay. He's a slow moving combatant compared to Sonic's speediness. Traditional Sonic gameplay really doesn't focus much on complex combat mechanics, and enemies serve more as obstacles than the central focus of the gameplay. 

So, to me, making Silver work in a traditional Sonic game would mean you would have to focus less on his combat abilities and more on making his move based more around movement. Which is fine, I have no issues with that and would definitely make Silver an easier sell to people.

But given that Silver's main ability is telekinesis, I've always personally felt that an ability like that functions a lot better in an Action game like Force Unleashed with a focus on combat, rather than a platformer, which is more focused on movement and traversing obstacles. 

• Thumbs Up 1

I didn't know where this was appropriate and posted it in a nother topic like an hour ago, but I guess this place was better.

What do you guys think of Rodea the Sky Soldier? Do you think it would work for Silver in a Sonic-style game?

EDIT: oh, apparently Yuji Naka was one of the producers? that's nice to know.

• Thumbs Up 1
  • Nice Smile 1

13 minutes ago, Diogenes said:

It's a bit late for that; like Blacklightning pointed out he likely was based on concepts for an unrelated game, but they went and put it in Sonic and now he's all entangled with that, and it'd be hard to find the freedom to build something that felt genuinely independent from Sonic, if he even had the popularity to justify a spinoff in the first place.

And honestly, if they were willing to genuinely go back to the drawing board with how they play, there's probably not many Sonic characters that couldn't work within some kind of standardized "Sonic" gameplay without abandoning their unique abilities. Telekinesis is a pretty flexible ability, it doesn't have to be just plodding around and waiting for something to throw, there's any number of ways they could use it to support faster, more fluid movement and attacks that aren't a complete bore.

Well I know that, but I also just like blowing shit up. 

Like for instance, take Blaze for example; she definitely plays like a Sonic character. But she's also a pyrokinetic. But that part of her character hardly is translated into gameplay aside from a visual perspective. 

• Thumbs Up 1
  • Nice Smile 1

7 hours ago, Wraith said:

Known Silver hater Azookara threw together a concept for a simplistic moveset that I liked.

image.png.41917cba786b12ebcd9b133d9467004b.png

Essentially, focusing SIlver around the feeling you get from hoarding items/rings in a slower playthrough and doubling down on it, letting him pocket certain badniks to use as ammo(or as platforms if we were going to add some spice from Blacklightning's post). Maybe you could even extend this logic to shields. He can take an extra with him if he already has one, giving him more defense than most of the cast. 

I give you the best, simplest way to implement Silver into any game and yet you still resort to calling me a Silver hater! Blasphemous!

But no seriously, I think Silver could be done well. Granted I think a lot more could be done if we worked him from the ground up, but since he has enough fans I'm not too pressed to that thought and would rather just uhh.. sweep his origin game under the rug and find a different game for him to find his purpose in. Or something. Rivals would be your best bet for that, but it seems like those are one of the few games they don't consider canon so hmm. 

I'll give a shout out to how IDW/late Archie handle his personality, at least. That's a big step above what we has in the games.

• Thumbs Up 1
  • Nice Smile 1

1 hour ago, Kuzu said:

I mean...I think people undersell how completely busted Tails being able to just fly around whenever he wants to is, conceptually. How much it flies in the face of Sonic having to earn any vertical movement. The original release of Sonic 2 didn't even let him use it freely. It was just a cute quirk that doubled as a way for him to get back on the screen when he got lost. He's probably the best proof there is that anything can work with some creativity and adherence to game balance.

• Thumbs Up 3
  • Nice Smile 1

4 minutes ago, Kuzu said:

Silver's gameplay style has always felt to be antithetical to traditional Sonic gameplay. He's a slow moving combatant compared to Sonic's speediness. Traditional Sonic gameplay really doesn't focus much on complex combat mechanics, and enemies serve more as obstacles than the central focus of the gameplay. 

So, to me, making Silver work in a traditional Sonic game would mean you would have to focus less on his combat abilities and more on making his move based more around movement. Which is fine, I have no issues with that and would definitely make Silver an easier sell to people.

But given that Silver's main ability is telekinesis, I've always personally felt that an ability like that functions a lot better in an Action game like Force Unleashed with a focus on combat, rather than a platformer, which is more focused on movement and traversing obstacles. 

Would now be a good time to point out that Silver has more appearances as a Speed Based combatant then his sole outing as a plodding PSY User in 06?

in Rivals and Rivals 2 he could move.

in Generations, his entire boss battle takes place at Mach 1.

In Forces, he fights Infinite with Speed.

Silver's unique abilities highlight his ability to do things quickly. they shouldn't be expected to hinder his speed.

Furthermore, Even if you feel that Silver would fit better in an action format, over a platformer focus - that's fine. However lets not pretend like you can't build an action experience in this formula. Unleashed's daytime levels are as much action game as they are platforming. Testing twitch reactions and rewarding frantic pace with set pieces and cool visuals. Silver can slide right into that concept. Allow him to be a running spectacle. Flinging things around and blowing through baddies. You just need to configure his moveset so that he doesn't have to slow down to do it. Thats all.

It feels like your either asking Silver to be different for that sake of being different or not even trying to be creative in implementing those kinds of moves into the core Sonic game loop. Silver can maintain all of the strategy, power-fantasy and ability tree of a game like Force Unleashed while still being a fleet footed character.

If anything, being a fast Darth Vader should make it even more action oriented.

• Thumbs Up 2
  • Nice Smile 1

1 minute ago, Wraith said:

I mean...I think people undersell how completely busted Tails being able to just fly around whenever he wants to is, conceptually. How much it flies in the face of Sonic having to earn any vertical movement. The original release of Sonic 2 didn't even let him use it freely. It was just a cute quirk that doubled as a way for him to get back on the screen when he got lost. He's probably the best proof there is that anything can work with some creativity and adherence to game balance.

That's why I think they made Sonic 3's level design more enclosed and vertical to accomodate for that, and I think most people let it slide cuz Tails is "easy mode".  And even then, Tails' flight has been the bane of 3D gameplay since Adventure. But I never said you CAN'T work around it, just that you would have to make some concessions to make it work. 

Would now be a good time to point out that Silver has more appearances as a Speed Based combatant then his sole outing as a plodding PSY User in 06?

in Rivals and Rivals 2 he could move.

in Generations, his entire boss battle takes place at Mach 1.

In Forces, he fights Infinite with Speed.

Silver's unique abilities highlight his ability to do things quickly. they shouldn't be expected to hinder his speed.

Every character in rivals plays the exact same aside from their special move, The Infinite fight is a cutscene. The Generations fight I'll give you, but I have trouble imagining how that would work outside of the context of a boss fight for Sonic. 

It feels like your either asking Silver to be different for that sake of being different or not even trying to be creative in implementing those kinds of moves into the core Sonic game loop. Silver can maintain all of the strategy, power-fantasy and ability tree of a game like Force Unleashed while still being a fleet footed character.

If anything, being a fast Darth Vader should make it even more action oriented.

I want Silver to have his powers properly represented and not just be another Sonic character with a gimmick, hence why I made the suggestion for him to have his own game to begin with. I'm not saying Silver cannot work in a traditional Sonic context, that was never my point. My original point was that Silver would probably be better suited at havin a game designed around his own abilities rather than being forced to conform to the mold established by Sonic, and likely (but not surely) having to make SOME concessions in order for that to work. 

• Thumbs Up 2
  • Nice Smile 1

11 minutes ago, Kuzu said:

I want Silver to have his powers properly represented and not just be another Sonic character with a gimmick, hence why I made the suggestion for him to have his own game to begin with. I'm not saying Silver cannot work in a traditional Sonic context, that was never my point. My original point was that Silver would probably be better suited at havin a game designed around his own abilities rather than being forced to conform to the mold established by Sonic, and likely (but not surely) having to make SOME concessions in order for that to work. 

You're probably better off asking for a new game series that does that, rather than asking for a Sonic character to do it, in that case.

Which I mean, Silver was initially (Fifth Phantom Saga) but I digress.

• Thumbs Up 2
  • Nice Smile 1

3 minutes ago, azoo said:

You're probably better off asking for a new game series that does that, rather than asking for a Sonic character to do it, in that case.

Which I mean, Silver was initially (Fifth Phantom Saga) but I digress.

That's kind of why I suggested he have his own game, must have said this like three times already.

Obviously I would never want this in a mainline Sonic game. 

A spin off usually means you don't have to conform to what the main series is doing. 

• Thumbs Up 2
  • Nice Smile 1

Well I mean any Sonic character-centric spinoff is likely gonna have mechanics shared from the Sonic games, which is why I say it. Granted, it doesn't have to (if you want to compare to Mario's, like DKC, Wario Land / Ware or Yoshi's etc), but considering Knuckles Chaotix and Shadow the Hedgehog's existence I'd imagine Sega would want to retain some form of the Sonicisms in it.

• Thumbs Up 2
  • Nice Smile 1

Obviously it would have things like Rings and the general aesthetic of  Sonic game, but being a spin off, it wouldn't come with the expectations of being a speed based platformer. Think what Metal Gear Rising is to the Metal Gear Solid series; they both general aesthetics and themes, and some gameplay quirks, but Metal Gear Solid is traditionally a stealth based shooter while Rising is a straight up hack and slash. 

• Thumbs Up 2
  • Nice Smile 1