Awoo.

Why Silver Matters and Why He Deserves More

LeviTheGreat

Silver has actually become my second favorite character after Shadow. He is Sir Galahad of the group, yes I know he is Galahad in Sonic The Black Knight, but I mean in terms of virtue and true goodness. I especiallt love his fight with Infinite in Sonic Forces

• Thumbs Up 3
  • Nice Smile 1

17 hours ago, chuckles404 said:

Silver is supposed to be the character that offers variety. Everyone else focuses on going fast while Silver takes things at a slower pace and brings something new to the table.

The funny thing about that is Silver was supposed to go fast in the 06, but they decided to be lazy and that's why he was slow.

• Thumbs Up 3

You know I like Silver and all but him being in Forces is another factor to why I'm not buying that game. It's just kinda sad that they don't care about Sonic's continuity, I tried to excuse it in Generations since I thought it was just an anniversary game but now it's obvious they just don't care.

• Thumbs Up 1
  • Absolutely 1

19 hours ago, Coz456 said:

The funny thing about that is Silver was supposed to go fast in the 06, but they decided to be lazy and that's why he was slow.

His mind can go faster than Sonic, so that is something. ;) 

• Thumbs Up 1
  • Nice Smile 1
  • Chuckle 1

• 4 weeks later...

I always thought that since Silver is from the future, they could give him his own spin off series that takes place in the future (which is NOT an apocalyptic wasteland I might add). Basically giving him the Batman Beyond or Spider-Man 2099 treatment.

• Thumbs Up 2
  • Absolutely 1

On 1/1/2021 at 4:14 AM, Johnny Boy said:

I always thought that since Silver is from the future, they could give him his own spin off series that takes place in the future (which is NOT an apocalyptic wasteland I might add). Basically giving him the Batman Beyond or Spider-Man 2099 treatment.

That is actually s grand idea. It would be neat have it be Team Future, with Blaze taking Rogue’s place and some new robotic character. Instead of Omega. 

• Thumbs Up 1

My thoughts on Silver? I love the dude but I honestly think Sega thought they could recreate the success of Shadow with Silver. I don't think it's ever a good idea to create a character just to cash in on another character's success.

• Thumbs Up 1

On 1/1/2021 at 6:14 AM, Johnny Boy said:

That's sounds pretty interesting. But I wonder how they would handle something like that.

• Thumbs Up 2

9 hours ago, Shadow Chaos Control said:

That is actually s grand idea. It would be neat have it be Team Future, with Blaze taking Rogue’s place and some new robotic character. Instead of Omega. 

I personally think Blaze should remain as being someone from a different dimension. But I would have scrapped characters like Honey the Cat or Tiara Boobwoski be Silvers companions instead. 

• Thumbs Up 3

I think it's interesting how his character's design is arguably kind of a reversal of how most other Sonic characters tend to be. Most other major Sonic characters tended to have a multitude of scenes that show them at their best light, or at least having moments where they’re allowed to shine, even those who have serious flaws or tragedy like Shadow and Knuckles. Shadow was always played as cool and suave with only minor moments of comedy and he rarely had moments of weakness, and his issues ultimately only cropped up due to flanderization and lack of understanding of the nuanced elements of his character. Knuckles had the benefit of being a classic character mixed with good moments, even as his character was eventually flanderized to the point that his out of touch meathead moments became his default.

Silver by contrast at first seems to start off like the others, with a demonstration of his power, but he differs very drastically in that his flaws are shown very early from the get go. He's heroic and determined, but also single-minded, gullible, and above all else, desperate about his situation to the point he's willing to make a deal with the devil just to claw at a SCRAP of hope for his future. These kinds of traits (last one aside) are certainly seen to an extent in the other characters, but they’re rarely so pronounced to the same degree as the others, and rarely are those flaws focused and have such drastic consequences as the others. Even Knuckles at his dumbest was usually played for comedy and were ultimately short, whereas Silver’s flaws weren’t.

Yet if anything in hindsight, those flaws also make him really fascinating to watch, especially once I went back and looked at his story.

• Too Many Rings 1

On 1/1/2021 at 7:14 AM, Johnny Boy said:

10 hours ago, Shadow Chaos Control said:

Wow,@Johnny Boy great idea and @Shadow Chaos Control great add ons.

I actully agree with @Shadow Chaos Control on this on Blaze should be apart of Silvers team.

Think of Silver and Blaze as a Shadow and Rouge duo only with more common sense.

I would add another robot because heck who doesn't want another robot on the side of the resistance.

But Silver would have to have his own storyline in the future.

How would that work?

3 hours ago, SenEDDtor Missile said:

I think it's interesting how his character's design is arguably kind of a reversal of how most other Sonic characters tend to be. Most other major Sonic characters tended to have a multitude of scenes that show them at their best light, or at least having moments where they’re allowed to shine, even those who have serious flaws or tragedy like Shadow and Knuckles. Shadow was always played as cool and suave with only minor moments of comedy and he rarely had moments of weakness, and his issues ultimately only cropped up due to flanderization and lack of understanding of the nuanced elements of his character. Knuckles had the benefit of being a classic character mixed with good moments, even as his character was eventually flanderized to the point that his out of touch meathead moments became his default.

Silver by contrast at first seems to start off like the others, with a demonstration of his power, but he differs very drastically in that his flaws are shown very early from the get go. He's heroic and determined, but also single-minded, gullible, and above all else, desperate about his situation to the point he's willing to make a deal with the devil just to claw at a SCRAP of hope for his future. These kinds of traits (last one aside) are certainly seen to an extent in the other characters, but they’re rarely so pronounced to the same degree as the others, and rarely are those flaws focused and have such drastic consequences as the others. Even Knuckles at his dumbest was usually played for comedy and were ultimately short, whereas Silver’s flaws weren’t.

Yet if anything in hindsight, those flaws also make him really fascinating to watch, especially once I went back and looked at his story.

Its what makes Silver distinct from Sonic & Shadow; while Shadow may have his own insecurities and vulnerabilities, he generally manages to work past them to get the job done and Sonic's entire personality is basically being as self-assured as possible with almost no hangups. 

Silver, by contrast, just isn't the same as them. He lacks Sonic's confidence, and Shadow's perseverance and I think that's why his character took some getting used to. We were so used to the other two hedgehogs being self-confident tough guys, that having Silver be so vulnerable felt jarring and different. He was "lame" he wasn't "cool".

And that "lame" and "uncool" characterization has kind defined him; most fan works just portray him as a whiny loser who gets abused. Its ironically that embracing those same traits that endeared people to him after a while. Its just his awkward and earnest attitude that helps him standout. 

Its also what kind of helped him; while they've been mishandling Shadow, they've just kind of embraced Silver's dorky nature and people seem alright with it.

• Thumbs Up 5
  • Absolutely 1

On 1/4/2021 at 5:18 AM, LeviTheGreat said:

Wow,@Johnny Boy great idea and @Shadow Chaos Control great add ons.

I actully agree with @Shadow Chaos Control on this on Blaze should be apart of Silvers team.

Think of Silver and Blaze as a Shadow and Rouge duo only with more common sense.

I would add another robot because heck who doesn't want another robot on the side of the resistance.

But Silver would have to have his own storyline in the future.

How would that work?

What is Silver’s purpose independanr of Forces and other games? Sonic 2006 would probably be a good place to start regarding his character.

I’d hate to just rehash a apocalyptic destroyer. Perhaps Silver’s purpose is to bring balance? Stopping a great evil is good and all, but that makes it tricky to do sequels. 

Sonic and Shadow are easier, Sonic is just thrilled by adventue and spin dashes into the role of hero. Shadow is the antihero who is busy controling chaos and you can write many archs for hom just on regaining memories. 

Silver is more difficult, what is his niche? Is he the paladin? If so what purpose does he serve? 

This is the problem, Kimg Arthur is easy to write, he had a evil son bent on destroying Camelot, and is governing gus kingdom, Sir Lancelot is the great knight and warrior with total devotion to the cause but has a weakness in love for Guinevere that will destroy Camelot. 

Then we have Sir Galahad, whose sole purpose is to find thd holy grail and is pure, Silver is like him and yes I am aware Silver is Galahad in The Black Knight. 

How does Silver break free of one demension and become Sonic & Shadow’s equal?  

• Thumbs Up 2

I never minded Silver, he just had the misfortune of debuting in 06. Hes not my favorite, but his character fits with the cast, he has a cool ability and although I liked the concept of his hair flaring up when using telekinesis, I prefer the final look. His naivety is handled better than Knuckles and it's something he actually learns from.

The main issue I have is why he keeps coming back to the past. The future must always suck if he's more or less a main stay in the cast nowadays. He's yet another unique character with potentially op abilities that again, they do not seem to know what to do with. It would be nice to actually see why his future is so bad, or know how he can just travel back and forth at his own leisure. What is his society like etc.

I haven't read all of the Archie comics, but I like the idea that he's part of a team some kind of space or time rangers. That is so dorky and fitting for him. 

• Thumbs Up 2

2 hours ago, RadicalLaRuby said:

I never minded Silver, he just had the misfortune of debuting in 06. Hes not my favorite, but his character fits with the cast, he has a cool ability and although I liked the concept of his hair flaring up when using telekinesis, I prefer the final look. His naivety is handled better than Knuckles and it's something he actually learns from.

The main issue I have is why he keeps coming back to the past. The future must always suck if he's more or less a main stay in the cast nowadays. He's yet another unique character with potentially op abilities that again, they do not seem to know what to do with. It would be nice to actually see why his future is so bad, or know how he can just travel back and forth at his own leisure. What is his society like etc.

I haven't read all of the Archie comics, but I like the idea that he's part of a team some kind of space or time rangers. That is so dorky and fitting for him. 

I imagine that Silver is simply in the past so that he is playable among the cast of characters. 

But your query about him not going back to the future could make a great story for his own game, that he needs time stones or something similiar to travel back to future and at the moment they are lost. Thus in the game you have to collect all seven time stones to return to the future; you could even have when you collect a stone you hear the Sonic CD  chime “Future!” and play a level in the future from Silver’s memory or he time travels to the future briefly for the level but he cannot stay indefinitely tell he gets all seven time stones. 

• Thumbs Up 2

3 hours ago, Shadow Chaos Control said:

I imagine that Silver is simply in the past so that he is playable among the cast of characters. 

But your query about him not going back to the future could make a great story for his own game, that he needs time stones or something similiar to travel back to future and at the moment they are lost. Thus in the game you have to collect all seven time stones to return to the future; you could even have when you collect a stone you hear the Sonic CD  chime “Future!” and play a level in the future from Silver’s memory or he time travels to the future briefly for the level but he cannot stay indefinitely tell he gets all seven time stones. 

Oh I know the irl reason he sticks around, I'm just wondering how long Sega will try and justify it before they either quietly drop the whole "future" thing (similarly to how they seem to be dropping Shadow's backstory), or actualy start moving forward with his character.

Funny thing is, I was wondering if they could use the Time Stones, but that seems to be mostly a Little Planet thing, separate from earth. Unless it's more commonly known to the public (some people in universe are aware of some of the earlier mysterious islands in Sonic's world).

Who knows, in 200 years time that stuff could either have been more common knowledge, or straight up forgotten/destroyed. Or even more so, they could have invented an entirely new way to traverse time.

• Thumbs Up 2

11 hours ago, Shadow Chaos Control said:

What is Silver’s purpose independanr of Forces and other games? Sonic 2006 would probably be a good place to start regarding his character.

I’d hate to just rehash a apocalyptic destroyer. Perhaps Silver’s purpose is to bring balance? Stopping a great evil is good and all, but that makes it tricky to do sequels. 

Sonic and Shadow are easier, Sonic is just thrilled by adventue and spin dashes into the role of hero. Shadow is the antihero who is busy controling chaos and you can write many archs for hom just on regaining memories. 

Silver is more difficult, what is his niche? Is he the paladin? If so what purpose does he serve? 

This is the problem, Kimg Arthur is easy to write, he had a evil son bent on destroying Camelot, and is governing gus kingdom, Sir Lancelot is the great knight and warrior with total devotion to the cause but has a weakness in love for Guinevere that will destroy Camelot. 

Then we have Sir Galahad, whose sole purpose is to find thd holy grail and is pure, Silver is like him and yes I am aware Silver is Galahad in The Black Knight. 

How does Silver break free of one demension and become Sonic & Shadow’s equal?  

@Shadow Chaos Control I like the way you think!

If i were a writer for his game his story would go something like thing...

Silver grows up with parents.

Parents die because of Metal Virus.

Silver gets angered runs away from his parents.

SIlver gets flashback.(fans get to see how he got his powers)

Silver goes back in time (a couple of cutscenes of Silvers help to Sonic flashby indicating that this is now the present)

(in the present time) Silver in the present time senses something wrong in the future.

Blaze reluctant to let him go alone again asks if she can tag along(stats she has Sol emeralds)

Silver lets her tag along.

They go to the future and find out Eggman is wiping everyone out of existance.

So they decide to stop him (After they find an abandoned robot screaming for help)

Silver's Future

2021 coming to a store near you!

13 hours ago, RadicalLaRuby said:

Oh I know the irl reason he sticks around, I'm just wondering how long Sega will try and justify it before they either quietly drop the whole "future" thing (similarly to how they seem to be dropping Shadow's backstory), or actualy start moving forward with his character.

Funny thing is, I was wondering if they could use the Time Stones, but that seems to be mostly a Little Planet thing, separate from earth. Unless it's more commonly known to the public (some people in universe are aware of some of the earlier mysterious islands in Sonic's world).

Who knows, in 200 years time that stuff could either have been more common knowledge, or straight up forgotten/destroyed. Or even more so, they could have invented an entirely new way to traverse time.

Anofher way is that Robotnik discovers how to traverse time and Silver uses it to go back to the future. 

@LeviTheGreat 

One way Silver could have gotten his powers is that beings in the future have evolved and thus communicate via telepathy, or he could have gotten his power  from birth like Sonic has super speed, Shadow has chaos control, and Silver would have mind control. :) 

• Thumbs Up 3
  • Absolutely 1

@Shadow Chaos Control

I feel a lot of testing would go into making this game because Silver and Blaze are probably not going to be easy to control.

They would have to make Metropolis even more futuristic than it is imagine that!

Silver has to defeat someone so maybe Eggman Nega?

Silver's world is gonna have to be kinda Cyberpunk 2077.

I want it to be open world like Sonic Adventure but not lots of restrictions or in game gadgets (gamers will find a way to get them before their supposed to).

Shadow needs to be his rival i want them to have a rivalry like Sonic and Knuckles!

Blaze and Silver can find the Sol Emeralds and/or Chaos Emeralds to make the game more fun (players don't have too but if they do the result is legendary)!

Each team has a path in the story and each play a role in world around them and effect's what Silver's Future looks like.

8 hours ago, LeviTheGreat said:

@Shadow Chaos Control

I feel a lot of testing would go into making this game because Silver and Blaze are probably not going to be easy to control.

They would have to make Metropolis even more futuristic than it is imagine that!

Silver has to defeat someone so maybe Eggman Nega?

Silver's world is gonna have to be kinda Cyberpunk 2077.

I want it to be open world like Sonic Adventure but not lots of restrictions or in game gadgets (gamers will find a way to get them before their supposed to).

Shadow needs to be his rival i want them to have a rivalry like Sonic and Knuckles!

Blaze and Silver can find the Sol Emeralds and/or Chaos Emeralds to make the game more fun (players don't have too but if they do the result is legendary)!

Each team has a path in the story and each play a role in world around them and effect's what Silver's Future looks like.

I think they need to make Silver fast like Sonic and Shadow, he can go the speed of thought. :) 

Blaze ought to have similiar gameplay to Rogue the Bat, but obviously no flying. Perhaps levitating via her psyche powers? 

A future Metropolis would be neat. Perhaps Metal Robonik? Robotnik had to roboticize himself to become immortal? Eggman Nega would work, but I’d love Eggman to be still alive connected to wires and mostly machine trying to hang on as Eggman Nega seeks to assert his dominance. It would give Silver two major antagonists. 

Shadow could be playable, him joining forces with Silver to accomplish a similiar goal like gathering the chaos emeralds. 

Seeing a statue of Sonic that says “Here lies the Hero, Sonic the Hedgehog.” That would be so grim and have emotional weight. Perhaps Sonic had a descendant? 

• Thumbs Up 2

15 hours ago, Shadow Chaos Control said:

Shadow could be playable, him joining forces with Silver to accomplish a similiar goal like gathering the Chaos Emeralds. 

Seeing a statue of Sonic that says “Here lies the Hero, Sonic the Hedgehog.” That would be so grim and have emotional weight. Perhaps Sonic had a descendant? 

Love it, Shadow needs a goal!

This plot reminds of "it's A Wonderful Life" if you remember Clarence said one life can affect so many others!

So some thing throws Silver back in time while Sonic and Eggman are having their first fight. 

Then Shadow out of impluse screws with chaos control and messes with the past (accidently) allowing eggman to defeat Sonic and robotize the planet!

Shadow remember if Sonic wasn't there to change his mind he would have been Eggman's slave.

So Shadow goes off on his own adventure(Silver will catch up later).

Silver exploring the new world finds a grave stone (cue the cutscene, cue the tears)

Then Blaze shows up and says "that's what happens when you mess with the fabric of time"

They get over the stone and start to try to find Knuckles and guess who they find the echidna tribe.

The echidna tribe explain Silver (and Blaze and robot rep) are the chosen ones to turn back the time and forge a better future.

Game play switchs to Shadow who soon finds Uncle Chuck.

Shadow being edgy for a minute.

Until he finds out that is who raised Sonic and created the power rings.

Uncle chuck mentions he is working on a ring to turn back time(but needs the Chaos Emeralds) and since Shadow (nor SIlver) can go back in time anymore he agree to find them apon finding Silver