Awoo.

MT | Sonic Prime (Netflix, TV Series) - General Discussion

Wraith

Netflix, SEGA of America, Inc. (“SEGA”), and WildBrain announce a new animated Sonic the Hedgehog series, Sonic Prime, set to premiere worldwide in 2022.  
The 24-episode animated adventure for kids, families, and long-time fans draws upon the keystones of the brand and features the “Blue Blur” of video game fame in a high-octane adventure where the fate of a strange new multiverse rests in his gloved hands. Sonic’s adventure is about more than a race to save the universe, it’s a journey of self-discovery and redemption. 
The series will be animated at WildBrain’s Vancouver studio, and SEGA and WildBrain will jointly participate across production, distribution and licensing. Man of Action Entertainment, creators of Ben 10 and the characters and team in the Academy Award-winning feature Big Hero 6, have been brought on as showrunners and Executive Producers for the series.  

Full press release: https://www.wildbrain.com/newsreleases/sonic-the-hedgehog-speeds-over-to-netflix-in-the-all-new-animated-series-sonic-prime/

• Thumbs Up 5
  • Nice Smile 1

I’m cautiously optimistic, but given Man of Action’s previous work with Mega Man...I have my doubts.

• Thumbs Up 3

Oh fuck. Man of Action? The same guys who gave us that terrible Mega Man show?

• Unamused 1

Just now, Jovahexeon Jax Joranvexeon said:

Correctamundo. 

That said, with SEGA’s heavier guidelines, we might have some quality control this time around.

• Thumbs Up 2

Just now, Ryannumber1Santa said:

Correctamundo. 

That said, with SEGA’s heavier guidelines, we might have some quality control this time around.

I would hope so, but still, it is a bet unsettling for them of all companies to have been chosen.

• Thumbs Up 3

1 minute ago, Ryannumber1Santa said:

I’m cautiously optimistic, but given Man of Action’s previous work with Mega Man...I have my doubts.

Just now, Jovahexeon Jax Joranvexeon said:

I'd like to assume that this might be better considering how hands on SEGA wants to be with their IP nowadays. 

• Thumbs Up 1

4 minutes ago, Ryannumber1Santa said:

WildBrain, the other people behind Fully Charged, are there as well. Not surprised that it ended up on a streaming service rather than TV; CN’s neglect of Boom seems to have killed that notion, with Boom being more successful on Hulu. (But not enough to save the series)

I assume SEGA will be fairly strict with them.  Notably, the gap between Boom’s end and this is roughly the same as the gap between Underground and X. 

• Thumbs Up 2

Just now, Dejimon11 said:

I'd like to assume that this might be better considering how hands on SEGA wants to be with their IP nowadays. 

Well, you'll find me praying that to be the case. It's like with the Mario movie. Even if Nintendo are being hands on with it, I don't count  on Illumination NOT screwing the pooch.

Now, I suppose to be fair, Man of Action are capable of some good, so there is that.

• Thumbs Up 1

8 minutes ago, Dejimon11 said:

Hopefully it'll come out and not disappear like Netflix's other video game adaptations 

spacer.png

On the other hand, yeah Man of Action is involved the same company that worked on Mega Man Fully Charged. 

I'm gonna wait for more info but I hope they don't mess this up...

• Promotion 2
  • Chuckle 1

Between this and the movie sequel, 2022 is shaping up to be a good year for Sonic media.

Plus, as one of the people who liked Mega Man: Fully Charged, I don't mind seeing WildBrain and Man of Action team up again with another animated series based on a video game franchise, especially since it's Sonic this time. I can't wait to see more out of this.

• Thumbs Up 5

Yay, a new Sonic show! And it's 3D, sweet! I hope the animation is similar to the games.

But Man of Action? UGGGGHHHHH. I mean, shows with snarky protagonists are kind of their bread and butter, so I guess they're a good fit as far as that goes, but...eh. I'll take a MOA script over anything from Pontacc and Graff.

• Nice Smile 2

13 minutes ago, Jovahexeon Jax Joranvexeon said:

Well, you'll find me praying that to be the case. It's like with the Mario movie. Even if Nintendo are being hands on with it, I don't count  on Illumination NOT screwing the pooch.

Now, I suppose to be fair, Man of Action are capable of some good, so there is that.

Yeah they've done Ben 10, Generator Rex and the new Big Hero Six cartoon. WildBrain has also done the new Carmen San Diego and apparently the Peanuts show on Apple TV

• Thumbs Up 1

I'm surprised it's 3D animated, but this all seems cool. 

I know it's from the Fully Charged team, but that show's a weird outlier and shouldn't be used for evidence of anything.

• Thumbs Up 1

The fully charged guys doing this has me concerned, but I’ll remain cautiously optimistic like others. Hopefully it’s an original storyline, and not based on the Movie, but that’s just my personal bias speaking since I still don’t find the film anything to write home about. If it is based on it, I’m hoping a good portion of it is in sonics world

• Thumbs Up 1

3 minutes ago, Dejimon11 said:

WildBrain has also done the new Carmen San Diego

I've seen bits of that show and it doesn't seem bad, so there is that too.

• Thumbs Up 1

I'll wait until we actually get some footage or a photo before I give any impressions, but its' nice to get some news out of the series. 

• Thumbs Up 1

Mega Man Fully Charged always looked awful. I've not seen it myself though. Either way, this news is intriguing. It'll be interesting to see how this pans out. I didn't think we'd see another TV show so soon (relatively) after Boom, but that show was dead from the outset regardless of whether or not it was any good (and to be honest I've always quite enjoyed it). 

• Thumbs Up 1

I wonder if the show will be yet another stand alone universe.
Sonic must be the character starring in the most tv shows that all are a seperate continuity from each other.
Except maybe Mickey Mouse and Sherlock Holmes.

(Edit, never mind, forgot about the Turtles and Batman and etc.)

• Thumbs Up 1

28 minutes ago, Jovahexeon Jax Joranvexeon said:

Actually, the show was well received in its later half, and had a deal of promise. Just the first half wasn't great. 

• Thumbs Up 6

My thoughts pretty much echo the rest of yours. While I'll always be interested in a new Sonic show (anything to give this series more narrative), this studio's past work makes me extremly cautious.

Though, I do wonder why they're deciding to not go all out with the 2D animated short they've been releasing and make that into a series here. They were stupidly well received by everyone so the idea they're now going with a 3D style is odd. Maybe it's a move tie-in? Eh, I hope not.

• Thumbs Up 5

WIldbrain have done Ninjago from season 11 onwards, taking over from WIL Film ApS. I say this because I think the animation got a notable step-up from that point. Writing was less noticeable but then the writing staff were kept from the prior era for the most part.

11 minutes ago, Strickerx5 said:

Though, I do wonder why they're deciding to not go all out with the 2D animated short they've been releasing and make that into a series here. They were stupidly well received by everyone so the idea they're now going with a 3D style is odd. Maybe it's a move tie-in? Eh, I hope not.

Given the timing of its release date, that lends credence to the idea that it's related to the movies.

• Thumbs Up 2