Awoo.

MT | Sonic Prime (Netflix, TV Series) - General Discussion

Wraith

What if they use this series to unify all the different continuities / interpretations of Sonic?

Something like all the Sonics merging in one Sonic called "Sonic Prime" at the end of the series (and in general the continuities becoming one main unified "prime" one that they could then use in the games too)

That would be very convenient for SEGA, think about it: Does Blaze come from the Sol Dimension or the future? Doesn't matter, this hypotetical Prime canon has both backstories since she is a merged version of the previous ones

Same for Silver and for anybody who has any kind of inconsistency

• Thumbs Up 2
  • Absolutely 1

49 minutes ago, Mega said:

What if it actually acknowledges the old continuities? That would be SO rad. Like, imagine SatAM, AoStH, OVA, that one obscure manga, etc, getting acknowledged.

It's a pipe dream, but. Dang.

Imagine the actual madness if they actually finally resolve Sonic Underground's plot in this thing.

• Thumbs Up 2
  • My Emmerdoods 2
  • Way Past Cool 1

1 minute ago, Ellipsis-Ultima said:

Damn this came rather suddenly.

Overall I'm feeling cautiously optimistic. There are some interesting things to it, like the story of multiverse and the "redemption" and self journey stuff. The logo is also interesting, though I wonder if it'll look better when animated?

I'm just wondering how they're gonna do this in 24 episodes though... I'd rather wait for a trailer to see what it looks like and how it goes.

Also have this dumb theory I thought of: 

Don't tell me this shit means Classic Sonic isn't gone yet! Fuck i want Classic Sonic gone permanently! Why can't he stay dead! 

• Thumbs Up 1
  • My Emmerdoods 1

4 minutes ago, Ellipsis-Ultima said:

Damn this came rather suddenly.

Overall I'm feeling cautiously optimistic. There are some interesting things to it, like the story of multiverse and the "redemption" and self journey stuff. The logo is also interesting, though I wonder if it'll look better when animated?

I'm just wondering how they're gonna do this in 24 episodes though... I'd rather wait for a trailer to see what it looks like and how it goes.

Also have this dumb theory I thought of: 

Man, the only vibe I'm getting from this logo is: Sonic: The Fractured, But Whole. 

And it couldn't fit any better.

• Thumbs Up 3

Google define "prime" The results=

of the first importance; demanding the fullest consideration:a prime requisite.
of the greatest relevance or significance:a prime example.
the most flourishing stage or state.
the time of early manhood or womanhood:the prime of youth.
SO MANY FREAKING MEANINGS!!!!!!!!!!
  • Thumbs Up 1

11 minutes ago, Jango said:

Man, the only vibe I'm getting from this logo is: Sonic: The Fractured, But Whole. 

And it couldn't fit any better.

Describes the Sonic series as a whole doesn't it

• Thumbs Up 1

I'm reading some of these replies, and I'm thinking some of these hopes need to be dialed back lol

Expect the multiverse stuff to be more along the lines of in one universe Sonic is a stoner type, in another he's sad and, guess what? He hates speed!! Oh, and in this universe Sonic is German!

Maybe you'll get references to old stuff, but don't expect too much.

38 minutes ago, CrownSlayer’s Shadow said:

Not sure what they’d need to be cautious of when they own most of the licensed work. Who’d really be in a position to make a lawsuit against them over that? 

You'd think, but it already happened with Penders, so I don't see them risking anything, even if the risk is tiny.

• Thumbs Up 4

If this is like Spiderverse and Flashpoint, color me intrigued. I genuinely didn't expect something this ambitious, I was expecting another "brand new start" "pseudo-reboot" "introduction" for this new series, not a whole serious premise, which sounds epic.

If they get Modern Sonic right, that's great, bonus points if old continuity characters are brought back (Sticks, Sally, SatAM Robotnik, etc.), but Modern Sonic should get the focus, and of course Classic Sonic and Blaze should all appear if this is a multiverse thing. But I do agree the focus should be on the core 4 plus Eggman, obviously. Anyway this is a great way to celebrate the 30th anniversary. But I won't fully judge the product until I see a trailer or first few episodes. 24 is a perfect number I'd say.

• Thumbs Up 2

Yeah. I'm still waiting for a trailer of some sort. So far it can go either way.

But I am a bit worried by the premise. How can you do multi-dimensional story in CG, which  by it's nature prefers recycling locations? There is a reason Sonic Boom was so "eco-friendly" with content. Same can be said with shows like Mega Man Fully Charged, TMNT 2012, Ladybug or (fittingly enough), Transformers Prime. And those were best CG shows of last decade (except Mega Man, obviously).

And so far we don't know what other dimension will be: Sonic Boom, pirate Sonic, Nights, something completely random. But wahtever the case, that sounds like Sonic will spend less time on Mobius with Shadow, Cream or Chaotix, and more with whoever lives in different world.

Also if by "strange new multiverse" they just mean planet Earth, I will strangle them with Boom's sport tapes.

• Thumbs Up 1

Multiverse?

Did not see that one coming.

That's a great spot to start on though. With the recent success of Spiderman treading that ground, it would make sense to tack on a follow up to the concept; and Sonic himself is no stranger to dipping into parallel universes to manifest himself as the cure-all to save the day.

*gasp*

We could get re-tellings of the storybook series.... I'm usually the first to scoff at re-treading the games, but that would be highly entertaining actually.

• Thumbs Up 1

Definitely interested to see how this go. Especially thanks to Into the Spider-Verse bringing the concept of the multiverse to mainstream audiences, it seems like many franchises are bounding onto that trend for their big film and TV projects.

Looks like Sonic's up. I suppose the Prime might be following Ninja Turtles logistics where the Sonic of this show lives in the central Prime universe and is venturing beyond it, or maybe looking for the original Sonic universe (game continuity, or god help us, Sonic in the conceptual phase)

i for one cannot wait for OG madonna to be canon

A little cautious because of Man of Action being incredibly Hit or Miss, but hopefully things work out. It's an ambitious idea, that's for sure... and this redemption plot really has me wondering what the hell Sonic even did.

one too many speeding tickets he has to pay off.

• Thumbs Up 1

A lot of people touched on what I had to say. I just wanted to add that concerning the studio and whether there are signs it will be quality or not, I think we really can't guess until we see the actually people on the project. Studio names tend to be overrated on their own because even companies like Studio Ghibli have put out duds if the director isn't the best. Of course certain studios are better than others on average of course which makes people react initially. But the better sign will be the names.

I think the press release was mentioned Big Hero 6 people working on this? For example if a storywriter from that team then it could be good. We just have to see of course. 

Edit: And dud studios can create gems. 

• Thumbs Up 3

12 minutes ago, Marcello said:

I'm reading some of these replies, and I'm thinking some of these hopes need to be dialed back lol

Expect the multiverse stuff to be more along the lines of in one universe Sonic is a stoner type, in another he's sad and, guess what? He hates speed!! Oh, and in this universe Sonic is German!

Maybe you'll get references to old stuff, but don't expect too much.

Sure, but that seems like a premise limited to a single episode, not an entire 24 episode series. 

• Thumbs Up 1

It's hard to be positive about this, it just sounds like another okay Sonic animated show.

People are setting their expectations too high as usual.

• Thumbs Up 1

The "redemption" and things gone wrong part could be Shadow, or a different Sonic for all we know, not necessarily Modern Sonic who could very well be faithful to the games.

• Thumbs Up 1

27 minutes ago, Redemption said:

Google define "prime" The results=

of the first importance; demanding the fullest consideration:a prime requisite.
of the greatest relevance or significance:a prime example.
the most flourishing stage or state.
the time of early manhood or womanhood:the prime of youth.
SO MANY FREAKING MEANINGS!!!!!!!!!!

Sonic has finally reached womanhood!

12 minutes ago, MetalSkulkBane said:

I am a bit worried by the premise. How can you do multi-dimensional story in CG, which  by it's nature prefers recycling locations? There is a reason Sonic Boom was so "eco-friendly" with content. Same can be said with shows like Mega Man Fully Charged, TMNT 2012, Ladybug or (fittingly enough), Transformers Prime.

"Just think of all the hundred more stories to be told with the same eight characters and four locations! The possibilities are limitless!"

• Thumbs Up 1
  • Chuckle 3

10 minutes ago, Kuzu said:

Sure, but that seems like a premise limited to a single episode, not an entire 24 episode series. 

It seems more viable as a series than a massive crossover of all the continuities. Lamer, sure, but that's just fitting of these low budget Sonic shows.

• Thumbs Up 2
  • Chuckle 1

6 minutes ago, Marcello said:

It seems more viable as a series than a massive crossover of all the continuities. Lamer, sure, but that's just fitting of these low budget Sonic shows.

Don't get me wrong, I'm not expecting anything major. Just seems like such a weird premise to focus an entire series. 

• Thumbs Up 1
  • Chuckle 1

23 minutes ago, Kuzu said:

Nah that can totally be the premise for a whole series. Spacetime gets fucked, Sonic Prime has to jump dimensions to fix it, each episode he goes to a new dimension with a new alternate-Sonic who has a problem that's conveniently solvable in the duration of one episode and sometimes Sonic Prime learns a little something about himself from it. Quantum Leap-esque.

• Thumbs Up 4

Welp, we'll wait and see. This is Sonic after all, so yea them half-assing things is entirely possible (and likely).

• Thumbs Up 2

Personally I'm really glad they're acknowledging the Multiverse. Sega has for too long just ignored the story potential of the fact there's roughly 11 billion alternate interpretations of Sonic they could play with.

I get that some people are tired of the concept but personally I love the Multiverse. It's such a fun storytelling tool.

As for the premise I kinda wonder if since this is going to be Modern Sonic more or less if the reason Sonic's looking for redemption will be set up in the next game? 

• Thumbs Up 2

2 hours ago, Sonictrainer said:

When they mention Multiverse, I wonder if they mean...

1. the number of worlds he's been to in the games, including his world, the human world, sol dimension, storybook worlds, Planet Wisp, etc
  2. worlds based on other continuities, like AOSTH, SATAM, Archie, IDW, BOOM, etc
  3. A bunch of OC worlds and Zones created originally for this series
  4. All of thee above

5. Other SEGA IP entirely, such as NiGHTS, Puyo, Ristar, Bayonetta, Streets of Rage, and more.

• Thumbs Up 2