Awoo.

MT | Sonic Prime (Netflix, TV Series) - General Discussion

Wraith

Alright, let's get this out of the way since this will likely happen; what's the worst way this show can immediately turn you guys off from it? Being a new continuity? Based on the games? Having Pontac and Graff writing it?

Conversely, what would actually make you excited at watching it?

• Thumbs Up 1

2 minutes ago, Kuzu said:

Alright, let's get this out of the way since this will likely happen; what's the worst way this show can immediately turn you guys off from it?

Being on Netflix.

So uh it's kinda lost already.

• Thumbs Up 1

1 minute ago, Your Vest Friend said:

Being on Netflix.

I'd prefer to read something on the actual show itself, not about which platform its on :V

• Thumbs Up 1

4 minutes ago, Your Vest Friend said:

Being on Netflix.

Could you explain this one for me? I don't know what the service provider has to do with anything. Genuinely asking here, not being a dick.

The notion that this does might be more action-orientated than comedy focused definitely would interest me. But what would really turn me off is is another entirely new series or based on the movies (and being based on the movies seems target plausible). I'd really like another series like X; action focused and close to the games. At least use the game designs, please.

• Thumbs Up 1

11 minutes ago, Kuzu said:

Alright, let's get this out of the way since this will likely happen; what's the worst way this show can immediately turn you guys off from it?

Being based on the film and having it be mostly on earth, with Tom as basically the second main character 

• Thumbs Up 2

Just now, Blue Blood said:

Could you explain this one for me? I don't know what the service provider has to do with anything. Genuinely asking here, not being a dick.

It's not really that it'd turn me off for being on there. It's just that I don't have Netflix and I wouldn't go out of my way to get a subscription to watch a single Sonic show.

• Thumbs Up 1
  • Promotion 1

1 minute ago, Your Vest Friend said:

It's not really that it'd turn me off for being on there. It's just that I don't have Netflix and I wouldn't go out of my way to get a subscription to watch a single Sonic show.

Oh okay, that makes sense. Thanks. I thought there was some Netflix drama that I was unaware of. Personally speaking, it's a good platform for me because it's the only streaming service that I bother with.

• Thumbs Up 1
  • Promotion 1

14 minutes ago, Kuzu said:

Alright, let's get this out of the way since this will likely happen; what's the worst way this show can immediately turn you guys off from it? Being a new continuity? Based on the games? Having Pontac and Graff writing it?

Really unsure at this point... despite IDW having pretty much everything worth asking for, I’m somehow not hooked... maybe I’m outgrowing things? I’ll give it at least a taste. It can do whatever it wants.

• Thumbs Up 1
  • Nice Smile 1

17 minutes ago, Kuzu said:

If the premise is another comedy/slice of life with a lot 4th wall breaking meta humor I sleep. 

As for what makes me excited...if there's a good amount of action and decent plot. 

• Thumbs Up 1

As much as I wouldn't be interested in the show if it's a movie tie-in, I will say that if it is, it shows SEGA have actually learned from past mistakes; Boom tried to push a multi-media new take on Sonic straight away and expected it to just be eaten up without knowing how their audience would react to each particular prong of the push. Here, the movie came first as a standalone product, it's proven a moderate success, and now they seem to be building off the back of an actual foundation.

• Thumbs Up 2

26 minutes ago, Kuzu said:

My turnoff is it being a movie tie in. I really don't care for the generic Hollywood kids movie direction of that sub series, but maybe if they focused more on Sonic's world I'd be ok with it. 

For what I'd like would probably be if it was just doing something along the lines of IDW, loosely connected to game canon but mostly does its own stories around the prestablished lore and characters. I'd also like something much less episodic and comedy focused then Boom. Sonic as a pure comedy just doesn't do it for me. I'm mostly into Sonic stories for the action and drama.

• Thumbs Up 2
  • Nice Smile 1

19 minutes ago, Kuzu said:

Basically all the pitfalls of Mega Man Fully Charged, I guess. Losing all charm of other the series and turning it into a dull mess while replacing characters with far more boring expies would do it.

What would make me excited is if it was a proper arc driven show. I don’t want slice of life or 11 minute one and done stories. I’d like to see something like Adventure Time or Steven Universe or so on where there’s an overall narrative arc around the show, while its free to have stand alone episodes on occasion. Boom already did the fully comedic slice of life stuff.

Also perhaps it’s petty, but use actual Sonic music and songs.

• Thumbs Up 4

9 minutes ago, Roger_van_der_weide said:

Considering most of MANOFACTION's shows deal with a teenage boy in highschool gaining sci fi powers, think we're getting a Sonic in Highschool setting this time? It'd be the first time Sonic being a teen is actually relevant to the setting.

"Wildbrain is a Canadian media company. They animated Mega Man Fully Charged, and are the owners of DiC Entertainment’s library. Yes, the DiC Entertainment behind SatAM, Adventures of Sonic the Hedgehog, and Sonic Underground. "

Woa there Sonicstadium, sending the RALLY4SALLY attackdogs on their tail right away huh?

What would turn me of from this show? If it's another ($*%ing 4th wall breaking meta self aware yuck fest. Got no stummich for that anymore.

What would make me love it? Well, if it's in continuity with the games and actually filling up some holes, that'd be nice.
But I doubt that would happen. At this point I just want Sonic in a genuine ADVENTURE with an interesting fully fletched setting.
Been hungry for that after a decade of nothingness.

Forces and the Movie, along with IDW, were attempts at that, however. You explained why Forces failed to satisfy you, but about the other two?

• Thumbs Up 1

"Netflix - Man of Action - Wild Brain - CG"

I don't think you could come up with another combination of words to make me less interested in this.

I like some CG shows, but it's not my preferred format for television series. Man of Action and Wild Brain are individually very hit or miss and their only collaborative work has been the similarly video game themed Mega Man: Fully Charged which... wasn't my cup of tea. I don't watch anything on Netflix period due to issues I have with the company and it's practices, which means I won't be seeing this until it gets an eventual DVD release (if it gets a DVD release).

Of course, the show could be good despite everything going against it. I won't know simply because it's on Netflix. But for everyone else checking this out, I hope it turns out well.

• Thumbs Up 1

Well. Talk about an out-of-nowhere surprise. Wonder if this could be Ian Flynn’s #knowingsmile tease from a while back.

• Thumbs Up 1

You know, from what I'm gathering here, you guys just want another Sonic X lmao. 

I'm torn to be honest; a show focused around the main continuity or even an adaptation of the IDW comics is probably the SAFEST option and I would be lying if I said that wasn't my preference.

But at the same time, I feel like the creators would feel constrained with such a setting as we've seen Flynn having to deal with Sega's mandates on how they want the show to be written. A new continuity or one based on the movie might give them more creative freedom...but I can't say that I would be as interested if it wasn't based on the games. 

• Thumbs Up 5

4 minutes ago, Snowragnarok said:

Forces and the Movie, along with IDW, were attempts at that, however. You explained why Forces failed to satisfy you, but about the other two?

Off topic to talk about that here, but Movie's fine and I enjoy it, but it's mostly human and normal world driven so wasn't really the ADVENTURE I crave for.

IDW is good, I'm deliberatly saving up multiple issues for one binge read since each seperate issue is so short it keeps irritating me.
Hence why it wasn't immediatly on my mind.
But the content itself's good.

Now back to the proper topic at hand;
Pestering Sega to turn the new tv show into the long awaited SATam Season 3. Can't wait for Penders to get a whiff of it and try to force himself into production.

• Thumbs Up 2

1 minute ago, Kuzu said:

You know, from what I'm gathering here, you guys just want another Sonic X lmao. 

I'm torn to be honest; a show focused around the main continuity or even an adaptation of the IDW comics is probably the SAFEST option and I would be lying if I said that wasn't my preference.

But at the same time, I feel like the creators would feel constrained with such a setting as we've seen Flynn having to deal with Sega's mandates on how they want the show to be written. A new continuity or one based on the movie might give them more creative freedom...but I can't say that I would be as interested if it wasn't based on the games. 

Asking for a arc and narrative based structure that X employed, and other shows used is different from asking for Sonic X again. 

And wanting to see something based on the games instead of the movies seems like it’d be fairly common.

• Thumbs Up 3

The thing i hope for is that the cgi doesn't limit the setting too much. The problem with cgi shows is the inability especially early on to have a variety of locations. 

Also, does anyone find it funny that Sonic is technically back with the DiC cast? Even if Wildbrain are just property owners.

• Thumbs Up 2

2 minutes ago, Ryannumber1Santa said:

Asking for a arc and narrative based structure that X employed, and other shows used is different from asking for Sonic X again. 

And wanting to see something based on the games instead of the movies seems like it’d be fairly common.

I only said that because its all too common for these shows to try and make up their interpretations of certain franchises and loosely play around with the source material. 

Think how many TMNT series have diverged from the Mirage comics and the 80's show. Sonic's a franchise that's similarly open for interpretation.

At the very least, I agree that an arc focused show would hook me more, but I also know  those are very popular nowadays outside of fringr examples. 

• Thumbs Up 1

FWIW, Wildbrain (formerly DHX Media) was also responsible for pretty much all the My Little Pony G4 offerings (sans Rainbow Roadtrip and..ugh...Pony Life) including the 2017 theatrical film so even if the show is another Mega-Man Fully Charged, at least it'll look pretty.

• Thumbs Up 2