Awoo.

MT | Sonic Prime (Netflix, TV Series) - General Discussion

Wraith

On 11/24/2021 at 1:10 AM, KairosDialga said:

I just hope that they are able to get with someone for making a physical release of this series, since I have noticed a trend of only a small handful of series that debuts on streaming services to ever end up with a physical release in the end.

The only physical releases I've seen from Netflix are Criterion releases of the awards bait (The Irishman, Marriage Story), ultra limited releases of the mega-hits for collectors (Stranger Things), and standard releases due to Netflix not owning the content (House of Cards via Sony, the Haunting of duo from Paramount. EDIT: Also Voltron from Uni). Sonic Prime is none of these, so expect a half-assed DVD release exclusively for Canada at the very most.

On 11/24/2021 at 4:21 AM, Red Hot Jack said:

I don't think the old multiverse is gonna be here at all, so even Sonic X and SatAM or Boom, it's an all-new multiverse as it was mentioned in the press and shown in the concepts. New ideas. The things I'm curious about is whether Classic Sonic and Blaze's worlds will be in, I hope so.

Pretty much. Just make Tails a badass hero again, Netflix. Pleeeease? Pretty pretty please, with a little mint on top?

3 hours ago, KingMario05 said:

The only physical releases I've seen from Netflix are Criterion releases of the awards bait (The Irishman, Marriage Story), ultra limited releases of the mega-hits for collectors (Stranger Things), and standard releases due to Netflix not owning the content (House of Cards via Sony, the Haunting of duo from Paramount). Sonic Prime is none of these, so expect a half-assed DVD release exclusively for Canada at the very most.

Castlevania was touted to be Netflix exclusive and then VIZ had gotten the rights to release it on DVD. Also I think Voltron:LD was also netflix only for a while And the first 6 seasons got DVD releases of that too (though 7 and 8 I think got canceled). I don't mind if it is half-assed or barebones of a DVD release (Since I honestly don't even care about the extra content in anything else I get), just some manner of being able to watch the series itself legitimately/legally without being tied down to needing an internet connection and a netflix sub.

• Thumbs Up 1

Netflix's animated reboot of Voltron was released on DVD. So, it is possible that Sonic Prime will eventually get released on DVD or Blu Ray eventually

• Thumbs Up 1

1 hour ago, phobs said:

Netflix's animated reboot of Voltron was released on DVD. So, it is possible that Sonic Prime will eventually get released on DVD or Blu Ray eventually

I hope so.

• Thumbs Up 2

I think because it's the Sonic franchise, and because Boom also got a physical release (even years later), there's a decent chance that we'll get a physical release, even though Netflix has the rights. I'm not much of a guy for DVD or Blu-ray but I know people are into that sort of thing, especially collectors.

• Thumbs Up 2

2 hours ago, Mr. Ion said:

I think because it's the Sonic franchise, and because Boom also got a physical release (even years later), there's a decent chance that we'll get a physical release, even though Netflix has the rights. I'm not much of a guy for DVD or Blu-ray but I know people are into that sort of thing, especially collectors.

It'll all depend on how much Sega's willing to pay up, I guess.

And I really can't see them shelling out for a Blu-ray release like Sony did with House of Cards... 

• Thumbs Up 1

On 11/29/2021 at 3:50 PM, Mr. Ion said:

I'm into collecting DVDs and Blu Rays....🙄

• Fist Bump 2

• The title was changed to MT | Sonic Prime (Netflix, TV Series) - General Discussion
  • The topic was pinned
  • 4 weeks later...

Really looking forward to Sonic Prime, Sonic's way past cool and the whole multiverse story idea sounds like great fun, especially since it seems to be all the rage these days. Plus, the multiverse is a great opportunity to often bring back old ideas and revisit certain continuities. Who cares about what Iizuka and Rouleau have said about the show "taking place in the Modern Sonic universe"? Let it start off in Sonic's homeworld inspired by the games before it dives into the Shatterverse multiverse of insanity, visiting worlds we've never seen before or have seen before in either the games or the cartoons. Honestly, since I'm fond of Sonic Boom and support the Rally4Sally and SaveCosmo movements, SEGA and MOA should do some episodes about Sonic visiting the SatAM, Sonic X and Sonic Boom universes and bring back Sally, Sticks and Cosmo. We could finally have Sonic meet Boom Sonic, that would be amazing to see after we didn't see it happen in the Archie Worlds Unite crossover of 2015.  I know SEGA or MOA haven't said anything about visiting those worlds, but thats because they're keeping details like those under wraps. Also, I'm the guy who got Rouleau to reveal Ian Flynn's involved. 

Cheers!

-CVGWJames

• Thumbs Up 1

On 12/31/2021 at 1:51 AM, CVGWJames said:

Really looking forward to Sonic Prime, Sonic's way past cool and the whole multiverse story idea sounds like great fun, especially since it seems to be all the rage these days. Plus, the multiverse is a great opportunity to often bring back old ideas and revisit certain continuities. Who cares about what Iizuka and Rouleau have said about the show "taking place in the Modern Sonic universe"? Let it start off in Sonic's homeworld inspired by the games before it dives into the Shatterverse multiverse of insanity, visiting worlds we've never seen before or have seen before in either the games or the cartoons. Honestly, since I'm fond of Sonic Boom and support the Rally4Sally and SaveCosmo movements, SEGA and MOA should do some episodes about Sonic visiting the SatAM, Sonic X and Sonic Boom universes and bring back Sally, Sticks and Cosmo. We could finally have Sonic meet Boom Sonic, that would be amazing to see after we didn't see it happen in the Archie Worlds Unite crossover of 2015.  I know SEGA or MOA haven't said anything about visiting those worlds, but thats because they're keeping details like those under wraps. Also, I'm the guy who got Rouleau to reveal Ian Flynn's involved. 

Cheers!

-CVGWJames

Congrats, man! Pretty sure they aren't doing that, but I'd love to be surprised.

So, apparently the show should release by Fall 2022.

Considering that studio is still hiring animators and Netflix Geeked Twitter account is super quiet about Prime, I have serious concerns about the show. I want to be optimistic, but in my personal opinion, I think this is time to lower expectations for the show significantly. The studio has very little time to produce the show and I have no idea how they will be able to do that by this Fall. Most likely we're going to have pretty low-budget 3D cartoon for little kids which won't be anything special.

I would love to be wrong and honestly, if the production of the show is not going well, I hope that they are going to push back the release date to first half of 2023.

• Thumbs Up 1

10 minutes ago, phobs said:

Considering that studio is still hiring animators and Netflix Geeked Twitter account is super quiet about Prime, I have serious concerns about the show. I want to be optimistic, but in my personal opinion, I think this is time to lower expectations for the show significantly. The studio has very little time to produce the show and I have no idea how they will be able to do that by this Fall. Most likely we're going to have pretty low-budget 3D cartoon for little kids which won't be anything special.

Yeah, the more I think about it, the more that this doesn't look all that special. Not only are the voice actors for this gonna be completely different, but - if they're still hiring right now - that can't be a good sign of quality. Partricularly if this is earmarked for the fall and we still don't have so much as a trailer. I get Netflix likes playing things close to its chest, but come on - Spider-Verse II got revealed and this didn't?

Oh well. Guess I can finally stop worrying about this being a massive, franchise-spanning reboot. (Particularly if, as I suspect, it has almost zero connections to both Frontiers and the comics.)

I just hope we get a good show with a badass Tails, and that WildBrain isn't put through the wringer trying to get it to us.

Spoiler

I also hope Sega doesn't ditch the game actors for its actors like they did with X, but we'll cross that bridge when we get to it.

I'm sure Prime is gonna be fine. I don't know how the hiring process for things like this normally goes, but I've always been under the impression that it's normal to still be hiring for projects at pretty much any given time in development. Also, streaming shows don't usually get a trailer until like the month before release, and though I'm sure we'll get some kind of first look in the near future, the fact we haven't heard anything else about it yet really doesn't worry me.

Another thing I think is worth mentioning is that a lot of Netflix show seasons release in multiple "parts," so the same could totally happen for Sonic Prime, where we get the first twelve or however many episodes this fall and the rest a few months later or so. I'm pretty sure it usually takes about a year to animate a season of a TV show, and this fall would put it at one year, so even if the show's not releasing in multiple parts, it should look fine.

• Thumbs Up 7

4 minutes ago, Enesephus said:

a lot of Netflix show seasons release in multiple "parts," so the same could totally happen for Sonic Prime, where we get the first twelve or however many episodes this fall and the rest a few months later or so.

Sure hope that isn't the case here. Or, if it is, I at least hope we get an unambigously positive ending for part 1. Pretty sure the fandom's seen enough shit to withstand an MOTU Revelations-style nightmare, but still... just wouldn't be what I'd want, yeah?

55 minutes ago, Enesephus said:

Also, streaming shows don't usually get a trailer until like the month before release,

The Cuphead Show already has bunch of previews and clips from it and it releases sometime in 2022. The Arcane showed first clips from the show 2 YEARS before the release.

Last update we got on Sonic Prime was 2D Eggman's logo during Sonic Central. We still don't have even a screenshot from the show. Outside of leaked concept arts we have 0 idea of what the show looks like.

1 hour ago, Enesephus said:

Another thing I think is worth mentioning is that a lot of Netflix show seasons release in multiple "parts," so the same could totally happen for Sonic Prime, where we get the first twelve or however many episodes this fall and the rest a few months later or so.

I hope that is the case

• Thumbs Up 1

I just want to know if it’ll use SatAM and AoS but especially SatAM.

As far as we know everything is in their favor for appearing but I could definitely see them not being used until a Season 2. Something to build up to and entice older viewers after all the new material is established.

Well at least we know around when to expect it I guess. Promo stuff shouldn’t be too far off. I really hope it’s not delayed or having problems.

• Thumbs Up 1

I'm honestly not sure how making TV shows actually work, but I'm assuming that because this is a fully animated series, that they are still trying to animate all of the episodes for the season.  Also, Netflix is notorious for waiting until the last second to promote their shows and movies, so I wouldn't be surprised if we don't hear anything about Sonic Prime until late into the Fall.

• Thumbs Up 4

Also, SEGA is planning on releasing merchandise for Sonic Prime. So, that should put some concerns about the state of the show to rest.

• Thumbs Up 2

On 1/4/2022 at 5:23 AM, Wildcat said:

I just want to know if it’ll use SatAM and AoS but especially SatAM.

As far as we know everything is in their favor for appearing but I could definitely see them not being used until a Season 2. Something to build up to and entice older viewers after all the new material is established.

Unlikely. I’m no expert on copyright law but Wildbrain owning the rights to distribute AoSTH and SatAM doesn’t necessarily mean they have the rights to any assets from those shows. Even if they did, I doubt Sega would be happy with them referencing shows from a time before they even thought about consistency in the franchise.

• Thumbs Up 1

On 1/9/2022 at 1:46 PM, Piko said:

Unlikely. I’m no expert on copyright law but Wildbrain owning the rights to distribute AoSTH and SatAM doesn’t necessarily mean they have the rights to any assets from those shows. Even if they did, I doubt Sega would be happy with them referencing shows from a time before they even thought about consistency in the franchise.

I think the opposite. If they’re allowed to use them (which I assume is just Sega saying ok) I do not believe Sega is actually against those cartoons/characters. They’re just out of the loop from what they’re doing.

It’s what make Prime the perfect place to use them again. They do not have to be the focus. They’d just be 2 other versions in the overall multiverse that Sonic encounters. Nothing that requires fitting them into the current format of things. They’d still remain separated.

• Thumbs Up 2

• 2 weeks later...
1 hour ago, Johnny Boy said:

It would be nice to get a trailer soon.

Yeah, I would like to see what this show will be like.

• Thumbs Up 2

I have a strong feeling that Satomi-sensei and Iizuka-sensei have come to regret approving of WildBrain's involvement.

I strongly dislike being viewed as pessimistic and all, but the truth is, since Sonic Boom flopped, I thought Iizuka-sensei had learned his lesson regarding the consequences of strictly pandering to Western markets when the native Asian markets are also of importance.

Not having SEGA of Japan involved in Sonic Prime's production is surely a prime example of Asian Hate. Given that SEGA and their creations are primarily associated with Japanese pop culture, it saddens me that their native market is still being largely ignored.

Much like its former rivals Nintendo and Bandai Namco, SEGA has a cultural obligation to cement itself as an icon of Japanese creativity. While it's great to have a following in other countries, the homeland should NEVER be deemphasised.