Awoo.

MT | Sonic Prime (Netflix, TV Series) - General Discussion

Wraith

The new clip of Sonic Prime has been split off from this and into a new topic. New news, new topic.

Edited by Dreadknux
  • Thumbs Up 1

I liked the teaser. It's not as high-quality as Sonic Unleashed CGI, but this is kinda expected. They can't make a whole series with Pixar-level production value. Sonic looks expressive, I like the new voice-actor.

• Thumbs Up 3

• 2 weeks later...

I actually really like the clip and the voice, so I'm cautiously optimistic. I really appreciate how close it seems to be staying to the games visually.

That said, Man of Action are very hit or miss for me, and most often a miss. I liked some of the comics they did individually before forming MoA, then as MoA I think Generator Rex is the only show I enjoyed of what I've seen. Didn't care for Ben 10, their Marvel cartoons were all a big step down from their predecessors. That Mega Man cartoon was... er yeah. That said thought Big Hero 6 looked decent but never got around to it.

On the positive side for MoA though I do feel like Sonic is a character that really suits their style so hopefully it works out.

• Thumbs Up 2

On 4/21/2022 at 3:30 PM, KingMario05 said:

EDIT: Another new page. God damn it. Uh... to offset the pessimism, what universes do you guys want to see (assuming generic genres are the target instead of specific continuities)? One where Sonic & pals are miles-tall kaiju would be a ton of fun, I reckon.

To be honest, if they target "generic genres" instead of specific (ie, pre-established) continuities, that's already a huge misstep for the show, and unfortunately based on what we've seen and heard so far, that's what they're doing.  I really don't know why they would jump on the bandwagon Spider-Man movies have been using lately, only to completely misjudge why it's popular when Spider-Man does it.  It's popular because people want to see many other versions of Spider-Man/Person/Creature revisisted in a crossover film.  Maybe the writers dread that the film will look too stale if they do exactly what Spider-Man did, but that is a fallacy because Sonic isn't Spider-Man; the different continuities it would crossover are not similar to any of Spider-Man's different continuities.  Nothing about being a crossover necessarily makes this stale because the appeal of a crossover is never just that it exists; rather it's the that the things crossing over are appealing in themselves.  But if they're utilizing versions of Sonic that they just created out of thin air, then by default the only things they have to lean on for appeal are the crossover and whatever innate appeal of Sonic gets into their show.

So while I certainly have ideas for alternate versions of Sonic that don't exist yet but could be cool, like an old-timey black-and-white cartoon version, there's an open question of how well writers can do with them because nothing yet has been done for them.

50 minutes ago, Scritch the Cat said:

To be honest, if they target "generic genres" instead of specific (ie, pre-established) continuities, that's already a huge misstep for the show, and unfortunately based on what we've seen and heard so far, that's what they're doing.  I really don't know why they would jump on the bandwagon Spider-Man movies have been using lately, only to completely misjudge why it's popular when Spider-Man does it.  It's popular because people want to see many other versions of Spider-Man/Person/Creature revisisted in a crossover film.  Maybe the writers dread that the film will look too stale if they do exactly what Spider-Man did, but that is a fallacy because Sonic isn't Spider-Man; the different continuities it would crossover are not similar to any of Spider-Man's different continuities.  Nothing about being a crossover necessarily makes this stale because the appeal of a crossover is never just that it exists; rather it's the that the things crossing over are appealing in themselves.  But if they're utilizing versions of Sonic that they just created out of thin air, then by default the only things they have to lean on for appeal are the crossover and whatever innate appeal of Sonic gets into their show.

So while I certainly have ideas for alternate versions of Sonic that don't exist yet but could be cool, like an old-timey black-and-white cartoon version, there's an open question of how well writers can do with them because nothing yet has been done for them.

...Dude, just let the show come out and judge it on its own merits. 😑

• Thumbs Up 2
  • Fist Bump 1

2 hours ago, Zoomzeta said:

...Dude, just let the show come out and judge it on its own merits. 😑

Yeah, I'm with @Zoomzeta, @Scritch the Cat. Not everything has to be a No Way Home knockoff, and it could be argued that SpiderVerse (what they're really patterning Prime after) used the "generic genres" schtick to great success, even if it was technically adapting various Marvel comics. (Same think with Insomniac's Rift Apart, although those continuities were mainly original like this will be.) So, so long as MoA/WildBrain can avoid making things too generic, I'm sure they can find a way to make it work.

Spoiler

That still doesn't mean I'm entirely on board with it, but hey. People like us are a periphery demographic at best for this, lmao.

• Fist Bump 1

6 hours ago, Scritch the Cat said:

I honestly don't mind the whole multiverse thing with this show.  It's actually a pretty interesting way to go with this show since you rarely seen any other Sonic content deal with multiverses (well, except for the Archie Comics) and I'm interested to see how they will write the story for this series.

• Thumbs Up 2

On 5/18/2022 at 10:38 PM, Rabbitearsblog said:

I honestly don't mind the whole multiverse thing with this show.  It's actually a pretty interesting way to go with this show since you rarely seen any other Sonic content deal with multiverses (well, except for the Archie Comics) and I'm interested to see how they will write the story for this series.

Yeah, so am I! I think all the other multiverse media is just wearing everyone down, lol.

• Thumbs Up 1

4 hours ago, KingMario05 said:

Yeah, so am I! I think all the other multiverse media is just wearing everyone down, lol.

Multiverse stuff has kinda been so common for me throughout my life, between cartoons I'd watch growing up and comics I'd read over the years that I honestly never even considered how certain specifically film going audiences would feel oversaturated with it right now.

Just been a "always sort of there" thing for me anyway, rather than a recent trend I'm burnt out on. so I'm not really really bothered personally. Honestly it was often the appeal of certain things.

I know he can't really be in this, but Scourge was one of my absolute favourite characters in Flynn's era of Archie.

• Thumbs Up 1

14 hours ago, ZERO_ninja said:

Multiverse stuff has kinda been so common for me throughout my life, between cartoons I'd watch growing up and comics I'd read over the years that I honestly never even considered how certain specifically film going audiences would feel oversaturated with it right now.

Just been a "always sort of there" thing for me anyway, rather than a recent trend I'm burnt out on. so I'm not really really bothered personally. Honestly it was often the appeal of certain things.

I know he can't really be in this, but Scourge was one of my absolute favourite characters in Flynn's era of Archie.

Huh. What'd you watch growing up, then? I know Mahvel and DC have been building out their multiverses for years, but I thought that was about it. Maybe I missed something, lol.

12 minutes ago, KingMario05 said:

Huh. What'd you watch growing up, then? I know Mahvel and DC have been building out their multiverses for years, but I thought that was about it. Maybe I missed something, lol.

TRIGGER has a sort of multiverse of their own. 

• Thumbs Up 1

1 hour ago, KingMario05 said:

Spider-Man: The Animated Series made use of the multiverse. Also X-Men: The Animated Series to a lesser extent (when you consider Marvel treat alternate futures as different universes in the multiverse, such as Age of Apocalypse) I was more teens for this but Justice League did too. Those are admittedly Marvel and DC but I did still watch them growing up.

Star Trek also notably plays with with it. Doctor Who kinda touched on it slightly too in show (more so in EU). 

That's all I can think of offhand in terms of stuff I specifically "watched growing up". There's more examples when the limits move outside just stuff I watched or a bigger age range, like Transformers, Sonic, TMNT, Dragon Ball, Kamen Rider, Digimon, Space Dandy etc.

Edit: On reflection Digimon could go in the "watched when i was growing up" camp, but I didn't actually realise when first watching it that Digimon Tamers had that going on in the background and only learned years later.

• Thumbs Up 3

Hell, even Dexter's Laboratory did a multiverse movie once. Or I'm the only who remembers that?

• Thumbs Up 1

36 minutes ago, Jango said:

Hell, even Dexter's Laboratory did a multiverse movie once. Or I'm the only who remembers that?

Wasn't that more time travel? 

• Thumbs Up 2

Sonic Prime confirmed to be featured at Netflix Geeked Week in some capacity.

https://twitter.com/NetflixGeeked/status/1529809621594034177

I don't think we'll be getting a full trailer (of course, I'd love to be proven wrong on that one), but here's hoping for at least an extended clip like Sonic Boom got initially (or The Cuphead Show last year) and maybe a reveal of which VA is playing which character in the main cast, that'd be nice. Anyway, I'm excited to see what they've got for us.

• Thumbs Up 5

We'll get a shot of Sonic running from robots in a forest then looking out on a cliff at the landscape

• Thumbs Up 1
  • Chuckle 4

12 minutes ago, Coz483 said:

We'll get a shot of Sonic running from robots in a forest then looking out on a cliff at the landscape

That's Frontiers 

1 hour ago, Enesephus said:

Sonic Prime confirmed to be featured at Netflix Geeked Week in some capacity.

https://twitter.com/NetflixGeeked/status/1529809621594034177

I don't think we'll be getting a full trailer (of course, I'd love to be proven wrong on that one), but here's hoping for at least an extended clip like Sonic Boom got initially (or The Cuphead Show last year) and maybe a reveal of which VA is playing which character in the main cast, that'd be nice. Anyway, I'm excited to see what they've got for us.

Let's see other than those we have Cyberpunk Edgerunners, One Piece (Unknown if it's the live-action version or the anime), Inside Job, and a decent chunk of shows and projects on June 8th and 10th. So that's a chunk of animated and game content in those 2 days. 

• Thumbs Up 2

We're most likely getting a full blown trailer, fellas. 2 weeks, mark your calanders.

• Thumbs Up 3

So... any dimension you guys want, now that we're in the final run-up to it? As stated before, a 'verse where all Mobians (including Sonic) are kaijus would be cool... particularly if they're far, far bigger than usual. ;)

Outside of that... hmm. Maybe one that apes 90s spy fiction (GoldenEye, Mission: Impossible 1MGS PSX)? Parodying the 60s would be seen as Discount Austin Powers, and it'd be cool to revisit a style of the genre we don't really get anymore. (Just Kingsman, really.) A cape superhero 'verse would also be cool, provided it doesn't devolve into the "hurr durr Batman and Superman both suck lol" circlejerk and is done with a true sense of love towards the genre.

Spoiler

Oh, and assume it'll be just "Sonic but X" style until further notice. Sorry, but Netflix needs mass appeal and Joe Q. Public Jr. of Michigantario really doesn't give a damn about Archie Sonic.

To be honest, at this point in pop culture, I don't really want a Sonic cartoon thats nothing but indulgent series references, so "Sonic but X" would be the more tolerable option to me.

• Thumbs Up 7

5 minutes ago, Natie said:

To be honest, at this point in pop culture, I don't really want a Sonic cartoon thats nothing but indulgent series references, so "Sonic but X" would be the more tolerable option to me.

Hmm, fair enough. Do you like my proposals? And which ones would you add?

Sonic but X is exactly what I am afraid of. Its bottom rung creativity.

Also, it puts me one step closer to pitching a hissy fit when by the end of the series, Caveman Amy or Kitsune Tails logs more screen-time than Prime Amy and Tails. Disaster waiting to happen.

• Thumbs Up 1

22 minutes ago, Sega DogTagz said:

Sonic but X is exactly what I am afraid of. Its bottom rung creativity.

Also, it puts me one step closer to pitching a hissy fit when by the end of the series, Caveman Amy or Kitsune Tails logs more screen-time than Prime Amy and Tails. Disaster waiting to happen.

Well, given that everyone has all new VAs in this and that Sega shows no signs of ditching the LA cast for Vancouver, I think that's gonna be the plan. I'm no fan of it either, but look at it this way: If it is uncreative garbage, at least it can be easily ignored due to not affecting anything else.

...Anyway, if you HAD to pick a thing for them to do within the parameters, what would you pick? (Sorry, but I just want your honest opinion here.)

• Thumbs Up 1