Awoo.

MT | Sonic Prime (Netflix, TV Series) - General Discussion

Wraith

They'd have to draft up a new contract and everyone would have to be on-board with the terms.

Even if Sega isn't profiting from Prime directly, its still reaping the same in-direct synergy rewards, so there is incentive. Or they could just decide its run its course and move onto the next thing.

Sonic Prime's premise kinda guarantees it's a one-and-done thing. If the Shatterverse was a regular multiverse it'd be different, but it's the prime universe split up. By the end of the planned 24 episodes, it'll be fixed, and there'll be no more multiverse to adventure in. The show has a built-in reason why the concepts introduced in it won't exist after it's done.

• Thumbs Up 1

23 minutes ago, Razule said:

Sonic Prime's premise kinda guarantees it's a one-and-done thing. If the Shatterverse was a regular multiverse it'd be different, but it's the prime universe split up. By the end of the planned 24 episodes, it'll be fixed, and there'll be no more multiverse to adventure in. The show has a built-in reason why the concepts introduced in it won't exist after it's done.

True and False.

The series can be tied up in a neat little bow once the main plot is resolved and the Paradox Prism is made whole, but there is no story in existence that is so perfectly air-tight that some creative writing can't add to it.

I mean, if you really wanted to go down that hole

Spoiler

Nine has been dabbling with the Portal tech for some time now. By the end of the series run, who's to say he doesn't backdoor a way to hop into the Prime dimension and use his advantages to start re-shaping things there?  Season 2 is a go with Nine being the antagonist. He'd have perfected how to build shatter-spaces from scratch, which he could use to send Sonic and Co. on wild goose chases in any number of alt realities the writers can think of.

or

Sonic fixes the Prism - restoring his home verse - but not necessarily removing all the new variants. Season 2 could be another dive through the shatterspaces trying to stop the different versions of his friends from bleeding into each other and making the same mistake he did in season 1. Capt. Dread would want to get his hands on more Shards. Rusty could be doing the same. Maybe Tails gains a morbid curiosity for meeting all his counterparts, or Rouge is a bit too interested in creating a dream team of jewel thieves,  Ect. Ect.

or

You could do a mid-qul. or you could follow Shadow around during the events of Season 1.

There is plenty there to work with if they really wanted too. Nobody writes a TV show without a little wiggle room to add a potential sequel, even if the first stands alone on its own well enough by the time it is done.

• Thumbs Up 2

On the topic of Netflix, they threw up the first episode of Prime on youtube a few weeks ago for anyone to watch. There's one ad built in to the video about 17 minutes in but otherwise it's just the full thing. (annoyingly there's no subtitles though)

• Thumbs Up 2

20 hours ago, Sega DogTagz said:

True and False.

The series can be tied up in a neat little bow once the main plot is resolved and the Paradox Prism is made whole, but there is no story in existence that is so perfectly air-tight that some creative writing can't add to it.

I mean, if you really wanted to go down that hole

Reveal hidden contents

Nine has been dabbling with the Portal tech for some time now. By the end of the series run, who's to say he doesn't backdoor a way to hop into the Prime dimension and use his advantages to start re-shaping things there?  Season 2 is a go with Nine being the antagonist. He'd have perfected how to build shatter-spaces from scratch, which he could use to send Sonic and Co. on wild goose chases in any number of alt realities the writers can think of.

or

Sonic fixes the Prism - restoring his home verse - but not necessarily removing all the new variants. Season 2 could be another dive through the shatterspaces trying to stop the different versions of his friends from bleeding into each other and making the same mistake he did in season 1. Capt. Dread would want to get his hands on more Shards. Rusty could be doing the same. Maybe Tails gains a morbid curiosity for meeting all his counterparts, or Rouge is a bit too interested in creating a dream team of jewel thieves,  Ect. Ect.

or

You could do a mid-qul. or you could follow Shadow around during the events of Season 1.

There is plenty there to work with if they really wanted too. Nobody writes a TV show without a little wiggle room to add a potential sequel, even if the first stands alone on its own well enough by the time it is done.

I'm sure they've already thought of ways it could be continued, like, the crystals are brought together but the Shatterverse still exists and there's even more worlds now. They could also order more episodes and rebrand it to be about something different.

• Thumbs Up 1

Is there a real reason why Inside Job is cancelled, in spite all of the promises and set-up? Why can’t Netflix just let the story continue if they know the season ends on a cliffhanger?

7 hours ago, Michael Takagawa said:

Is there a real reason why Inside Job is cancelled, in spite all of the promises and set-up? Why can’t Netflix just let the story continue if they know the season ends on a cliffhanger?

For whatever reason, they deemed it no longer profitable for them, or it didn't have enough value to give it more time on their platform. This could range from anything legitimate to just asinine executive meddling.

• Absolutely 2

5 hours ago, Jovahexeon Jax Joranvexeon said:

For whatever reason, they deemed it no longer profitable for them, or it didn't have enough value to give it more time on their platform. This could range from anything legitimate to just asinine executive meddling.

It's still really unfair for Netflix to just cancel Inside Job out of the blue after they just promised the creators that they were giving them a second season.

• Absolutely 1

18 minutes ago, Rabbitearsblog said:

It's still really unfair for Netflix to just cancel Inside Job out of the blue after they just promised the creators that they were giving them a second season.

Eggman: “Life is like that, kiddo. Take it from somebody who knows! Whenever you reach too high, life smacks you down!”

• Thumbs Up 1

4 hours ago, Michael Takagawa said:

Eggman: “Life is like that, kiddo. Take it from somebody who knows! Whenever you reach too high, life smacks you down!”

Which unfortunately happens to any TV show nowadays.

• Thumbs Up 2

11 hours ago, Rabbitearsblog said:

Which unfortunately happens to any TV show nowadays.

That must be about a million lives smacking you down like a volleyball.

So anyone got any clue when we will know if there will be a Season 2 for Prime?

Also, just curious to know, how are fans receiving "Rusty Rose" as a character? Would be interested if in the future we get to explore why she decided to become a cyborg.

Edited by Strickerx5

39 minutes ago, Cooldude said:

Also, just curious to know, how are fans receiving "Rusty Rose" as a character? Would be interested if in the future we get to explore why she decided to become a cyborg.

That's implying she chose to be a cyborg rather than the decision being forced upon her by the Eggmen. 

13 minutes ago, Zoomzeta said:

That's implying she chose to be a cyborg rather than the decision being forced upon her by the Eggmen. 

I didn't rule out that possibility. 

2 hours ago, Cooldude said:

Fans seem to love Rusty Rose and Nine as well.

3 hours ago, Cooldude said:

If you mean "Season 2" as in the next batch of episodes, then yes. We know those are coming. Just don't know when, but its likely not too far off.

If you mean an additional run of episodes beyond the 24 that were originally ordered, then its almost assuredly not something Netflix will even consider until the last batch of episodes is out the door and all the viewership data can be assessed. There is no point to green-lighting additional episodes early.

3 hours ago, Sega DogTagz said:

If you mean "Season 2" as in the next batch of episodes, then yes. We know those are coming. Just don't know when, but its likely not too far off.

If you mean an additional run of episodes beyond the 24 that were originally ordered, then its almost assuredly not something Netflix will even consider until the last batch of episodes is out the door and all the viewership data can be assessed. There is no point to green-lighting additional episodes early.

Thanks. I meant the next batch of episodes. As for no point to green-light episodes early...not necessarily in every case. Maybe not Netflix, but there are some TV series that is given the greenlight for a next season early.

Edited by Cooldude

Man, that shit was aggressively mediocre. The not!SatAM stuff was pretty good. Fully realized, characters had agency and established motivations, the setting worked. Even the collective Eggmen were pretty well done. If the entire show was that it'd be pretty good overall. Best Sonic show, I dunno, but whatever. Good enough. Except it wasn't all that.

Prime World stuff was fine, I guess. Nothing special, though, which made the multiple flashbacks to it, sometimes several per episode, grating more than interesting. Prime Knuckles was also the worst voice acting of the character I think there has ever been.

Caveman World was awful, with the writing taking such a dive in quality that it feels like the show was aimed at an entirely different demographic.

Pirate World was better than that at least, but not much better; and considering every episode was only 19 minutes long you'd think they wouldn't have had to start padding shit that much to spread it out among a 9 episode season. This is one of the biggest sufferers from unnecessary sequel bait in recent memory if it's going to waste 20% of their episode order on filler before they get to it.

All of the not!SatAM universes also suffered hard from the show leaning on humor which was frequently execrable. Horrible wordplay sentences that weren't even puns most of the time that Sonic constantly spit out to the audience when he was alone in a scene. I also had to laugh about how horrendously the "this shit is definitely 100% canon to the franchise" moments were shoehorned into a show that overwhelmingly was about alternate universes. I was actually at a loss for words when "bad 2000s sprite comic where Sonic misremembers the events of Sonic 3" was the creative choice that the showrunners made to establish Sonic's backstory with Knuckles; which they waited until the penultimate episode to do.

It was also shockingly bad looking in spots; in ways that I'm not even sure were budgetary so much as a complete lack of care. Character walking animations not lining up properly and spazzing out mid-cycle, background objects not animating at the correct speed (the one that stuck out the most was the moving walkway in not!Robotropolis moving at a faster speed than the characters standing on it in every scene it was present in) and even objects not being placed in the world properly like a game whose level geometry changed late in development.  Boom might not have had its scenes directed as well (the action stuff in Boom was extremely rote, whereas stuff was at least storyboarded well here) but that was easily a much better looking show than this. Not too great of a standard for Prime to not come close to matching when Boom came out 8 years ago.

I'll probably look at the second season or whatever, but I wouldn't really care if it was cancelled tomorrow.

• Thumbs Up 3

Yeah I think the show looks great in the New Yolk  world but they stop giving a shit after that with the assumption that they have people on board. It takes a nosedive in every regard. The writing isn't great on the whole but visual gags like the characters trying to have a conversation while a laser tears through the room got me. That type of thing can't happen once the show gives up on its visuals and blocking. The generic "Party City" multiverse shit is pretty uninspired, and doesn't capitalize on the characters in clever ways like presenting a "What if Tails never met Sonic" alternate path. That ties into his character and what we know about him in several ways. All they can ever think of for Amy's variant is ways to make her more violent. 

If they focused on New Yolk they might have had a decent show on their hands, but they only kept that quality up just long enough to grab people's attention. Another slapped together 2022 Sonic release. 

I'd be hesitant about it being greenlit for more seasons regardless because Netflix loves to kill animated series lately. :(

• Absolutely 2

Of all the directions I thought this could go, I did not think it might head the way of Shadow stealing Sonic’s/Nine’s regulators while underwater. Look at him, he’s already got the other one on his other glove. That edgy hog.

• Thumbs Up 4

I'm a bit annoyed by the vague date, but with Netflix you can never be concrete so I guess it's understandable