Awoo.

MT | Sonic Prime (Netflix, TV Series) - General Discussion

Wraith

1 minute ago, Blueknight V2.0 said:

Couple of new screenshots!

That second image looks like Green Hill is in ruins.

So apparently Shadow's just gonna go all "F it, I'll do it myself" and jack Sonic's kit.

I can dig it.

• Thumbs Up 1

35 minutes ago, Kuzu said:

Really hate how vague that is. "Later this year" can mean next December.

Its all they can say really. Netflix makes the decision when to drop each batch of Episodes and Sega is just along for the ride on that front.

They probably only said this to ease an influx of people worrying over nothing about the Netflix cancelling animated shows.

• Thumbs Up 1

4 hours ago, Sega DogTagz said:

Its all they can say really. Netflix makes the decision when to drop each batch of Episodes and Sega is just along for the ride on that front.

They probably only said this to ease an influx of people worrying over nothing about the Netflix cancelling animated shows.

So, is Netflix just cancelling their original shows or just any animated show at this point?  I'm also impatient about the release date of the next set of episodes, but I'm still really excited for new episodes!

Netflix has a tendency to cut shows after two "seasons." Sonic Prime already has a 24 episode order, but other shows, like Inside Job and Dead End don't fare as lucky. The former even had a season 2 trailer all set to go.

The thing is, that one batch of 24 episodes is being released as "seasons" probably to avoid a pay increase from ordering an actual season. IIRC that's what happened with the Cuphead show (though that got an actual renewal).

• Thumbs Up 1

Netflix is in the business of doin business so they'll do whatever works best for their profit models.

If I was a betting man, I'd say they would be waiting a bit to get a clear picture of what the other branches of the franchise are doing. The next batch of episodes will probably fall into line right before or after some of the Frontiers DLC or something. 

5 hours ago, ShinyGems said:

Check this out, everyone.

Now I want to know what this "experience" even is. 

• Thumbs Up 2

7 hours ago, ShinyGems said:

So, what is this experience?

• Thumbs Up 3

Just now, ShinyGems said:

They have yet to say. Well, I will keep an eye on it.

Me too.

• Thumbs Up 1

17 hours ago, ShinyGems said:

I wanna go to a Sonic event.

Might be surrounded by kids but I can't imagine I'd be the only adult there.

On 1/27/2023 at 12:07 PM, ShinyGems said:

Here is something that shows what the Shatterverse experience may be.

If this is true, I wish I could go.

For a moment I thought it was VR, but it's a theme park ride? I hope someone takes pictures for the rest of us.

• Thumbs Up 2

Time for some honest thoughts on this show so far based on the first 8 episodes, I think this is going to be a show that exists, it is not going to be man of actions worst work, it is going to be far from their best work, this is going to be a show that will be mediocre at best, I really despise sonic as a character in this show, every line he speaks just irritates me, he is so unbelievably dumb in this show and seems to lack basic common sense, he honestly weirdly feels like a parody of sonic combined with boom knuckles. It really says a lot where it is starting to make me look even more fondly on how sonic was written in games like colors, generations and even boom (I don't think those portrayals were nearly as big of a disservice to sonic like the fans of today make out) in comparison. It does not help that I am not particularly in love with the voice actors so far.

Deven Mack clearly cares for the role and I think is doing a bizzare amount of press for the show that I have not seen from many VA's in other man of action projects. I chock that up mainly to being so excited to be voicing sonic. That being said I am not adoring his performance, my main issue is he just sounds like he is trying way to hard to emulate Jaleel White, and his take seems very inconsistent throughout the show. There were some scenes in this show where I thought sonic was on the verge of sneezing, it's probably a voice direction issue. Other than that he is sort of what I expect from a sonic voice, a run of the mill sonic if you will, not that its bad. I don't think he is top notch level casting like Ben Schwartz, (where some fans were vocally begging for him to take over in the games), his performance has not wowed me yet, probably the weakest sonic performance this year imo. The rest of the VA's are decent, knuckles sounds weird though, like a far worse version of idris elba. I don't think the dialogue these VA's have is really doing them any favors.

I should preface this by saying I am not a man of action fan, I dislike most of their work and in terms of flaws, all of their shows blend in with each other, overly obnoxious stupid characters all written like ben tennyson, rarely takes advantage of core ideas, has awful lines that could make a 10 year old cringe, and doesnt respect source material it is adapting. Sonic boom while not being done any justice in terms of time slots and channel network. It was a far better written show that reached far more people than just its target audience. I have many friends that weren't sonic fans but somehow found out about sonic boom and loved the show, the show felt like it was written by far more passionate people than sonic prime was and from what I have seen, is still remembered to this day. Sonic prime feels like it is being made purely to help sell merch and nothing more. Unless the rest of the show dramatically improves I think this show is going to be seen as mediocre by the public and the community and forgotten quickly, like many other man of action projects.

• Confused 1

On 1/29/2023 at 7:47 PM, Forgeafrontier said:

Time for some honest thoughts on this show so far based on the first 8 episodes, I think this is going to be a show that exists, it is not going to be man of actions worst work, it is going to be far from their best work, this is going to be a show that will be mediocre at best, I really despise sonic as a character in this show, every line he speaks just irritates me, he is so unbelievably dumb in this show and seems to lack basic common sense, he honestly weirdly feels like a parody of sonic combined with boom knuckles. It really says a lot where it is starting to make me look even more fondly on how sonic was written in games like colors, generations and even boom (I don't think those portrayals were nearly as big of a disservice to sonic like the fans of today make out) in comparison. It does not help that I am not particularly in love with the voice actors so far.

Deven Mack clearly cares for the role and I think is doing a bizzare amount of press for the show that I have not seen from many VA's in other man of action projects. I chock that up mainly to being so excited to be voicing sonic. That being said I am not adoring his performance, my main issue is he just sounds like he is trying way to hard to emulate Jaleel White, and his take seems very inconsistent throughout the show. There were some scenes in this show where I thought sonic was on the verge of sneezing, it's probably a voice direction issue. Other than that he is sort of what I expect from a sonic voice, a run of the mill sonic if you will, not that its bad. I don't think he is top notch level casting like Ben Schwartz, (where some fans were vocally begging for him to take over in the games), his performance has not wowed me yet, probably the weakest sonic performance this year imo. The rest of the VA's are decent, knuckles sounds weird though, like a far worse version of idris elba. I don't think the dialogue these VA's have is really doing them any favors.

I should preface this by saying I am not a man of action fan, I dislike most of their work and in terms of flaws, all of their shows blend in with each other, overly obnoxious stupid characters all written like ben tennyson, rarely takes advantage of core ideas, has awful lines that could make a 10 year old cringe, and doesnt respect source material it is adapting. Sonic boom while not being done any justice in terms of time slots and channel network. It was a far better written show that reached far more people than just its target audience. I have many friends that weren't sonic fans but somehow found out about sonic boom and loved the show, the show felt like it was written by far more passionate people than sonic prime was and from what I have seen, is still remembered to this day. Sonic prime feels like it is being made purely to help sell merch and nothing more. Unless the rest of the show dramatically improves I think this show is going to be seen as mediocre by the public and the community and forgotten quickly, like many other man of action projects.

This show has more of a vision than you give it credit for, but mediocre and sometimes annoying writing definitely bogs it down.  

Ironically enough, Sonic Boom is technically more of what you said this show feels like; it was just one part of a big initiative by SEGA to launch a more western-friendly version of the Sonic series in hopes of attracting customers, an initiative that in retrospect bombed horribly, but while even the show is not without its severe detractors, its writing certainly made it the least-hated part of the Boom initiative--not that this is a big accomplishment in itself, but still, I'm fine saying that I consider Sonic Boom not only the best-written Sonic cartoon to this day, but one of the best-written comedy cartoons ever.  Its lore wasn't really going anywhere, though, and it was so comedy-focused that it was definitely not what I wanted from a Sonic show.

Sonic Prime...it's actually hard to give an opinion on this show because it's just so weird.  On the surface the plot isn't weird; it's one of many multiverse stories released lately, but the way it just throws in not only a bunch of characters, but a bunch of alternate versions of those characters, and expects us to care, is what makes it weird.  I'm sure many Adventure-era fans are happy to see these characters used for major stories again, but still, they probably aren't too happy because the core versions of the characters aren't used much, and that leaves big dangling plot threads, such as why Rouge is suddenly a member of the gang.  And as an aside, while I want to like that Rouge is here, as feared they've stripped her of so many of her more adult-oriented character traits that now she's just a husk of a character.  About the only character traits she has left are that she's a bat, therefor she flies and sleeps upside-down, and she knows martial arts but usually doesn't fight head-on much; she mostly just flies around the battlefield.  And why would they really want Rouge to be here in bastardized childish form when most of the fans who actually care about her are probably over twenty years old?  Gender parity?  Well if that's so, then frankly I think Sticks would actually be a better choice for a female teammate.  Yes, she's from an alternate continuity but she was in the previous show and very much "part of the gang".  Rouge has never really been part of the gang, at least not Sonic's.  Sticks also has a much stronger personality contrast with Amy.  Then, there's the odd situation where this show is supposed to be canon to the games but Sonic himself is so much more of a jackass.  Not as unlikable as I feared, but almost punchably stupid, especially given this show's facial animation conveys that so strongly.  The voices also seem odd for an ostensibly canon situation; most of them sound enough like their recent game voices but Knuckles' actor, as you said, sounds like he's trying to imitate Idris Elba, while Eggman's actor sounds like he can't decide whether to sound like Mike Pollock or Deem Bristow.

I have barely even touched whether this show is enjoyable as its own thing.  I find the show enjoyable enough as yet another binge-centric Netflix show that I'm not sorry I watched it just because of it being Sonic, and you might think that's not a high honor, but then, I also tried to watch Sonic X because it was Sonic, only to find it was nearly unwatchable.  I also think there are a number of solid ideas in this show; for example it's a nice break from the norm to have a Sonic villain who is an unhinged environmentalist, and that we got two versions of Amy that each are villainous and each have a distinct twist on her relationship with a Flicky, that's really cool.  But the jokes that we get along the way are generally mid, at best.  At worst, they're obnoxious.

I'd say it's too early to assess the show too much.  It has kept me engaged and wanting to know where it goes, but I'm going to be bummed if it ends up going somewhere lame, which is always the big risk of binge shows.  Its use of characters that at least some of the fanbase likes, might work in its favor, but if those same characters soon get used in something better-written, this show may not age well.

• 2 weeks later...
14 hours ago, SonicBoomFan101 said:

Did you know there's a behind the scenes of Sonic Prime today?

I didn't.  So where, exactly?