Awoo.

MT | Sonic Prime (Netflix, TV Series) - General Discussion

Wraith

On 1/29/2023 at 8:47 PM, Forgeafrontier said:

Time for some honest thoughts on this show so far based on the first 8 episodes, I think this is going to be a show that exists, it is not going to be man of actions worst work, it is going to be far from their best work, this is going to be a show that will be mediocre at best, I really despise sonic as a character in this show, every line he speaks just irritates me, he is so unbelievably dumb in this show and seems to lack basic common sense, he honestly weirdly feels like a parody of sonic combined with boom knuckles. It really says a lot where it is starting to make me look even more fondly on how sonic was written in games like colors, generations and even boom (I don't think those portrayals were nearly as big of a disservice to sonic like the fans of today make out) in comparison. It does not help that I am not particularly in love with the voice actors so far.

Deven Mack clearly cares for the role and I think is doing a bizzare amount of press for the show that I have not seen from many VA's in other man of action projects. I chock that up mainly to being so excited to be voicing sonic. That being said I am not adoring his performance, my main issue is he just sounds like he is trying way to hard to emulate Jaleel White, and his take seems very inconsistent throughout the show. There were some scenes in this show where I thought sonic was on the verge of sneezing, it's probably a voice direction issue. Other than that he is sort of what I expect from a sonic voice, a run of the mill sonic if you will, not that its bad. I don't think he is top notch level casting like Ben Schwartz, (where some fans were vocally begging for him to take over in the games), his performance has not wowed me yet, probably the weakest sonic performance this year imo. The rest of the VA's are decent, knuckles sounds weird though, like a far worse version of idris elba. I don't think the dialogue these VA's have is really doing them any favors.

I should preface this by saying I am not a man of action fan, I dislike most of their work and in terms of flaws, all of their shows blend in with each other, overly obnoxious stupid characters all written like ben tennyson, rarely takes advantage of core ideas, has awful lines that could make a 10 year old cringe, and doesnt respect source material it is adapting. Sonic boom while not being done any justice in terms of time slots and channel network. It was a far better written show that reached far more people than just its target audience. I have many friends that weren't sonic fans but somehow found out about sonic boom and loved the show, the show felt like it was written by far more passionate people than sonic prime was and from what I have seen, is still remembered to this day. Sonic prime feels like it is being made purely to help sell merch and nothing more. Unless the rest of the show dramatically improves I think this show is going to be seen as mediocre by the public and the community and forgotten quickly, like many other man of action projects.

See I think you and I are on agreement for alot of this. But one thing I'm hugely against is the voices. Mostly EVERYONE ELSE. Tails and Eggman sound TOO much like lame saturday cartoon voices I'm already sick of hearing. But here's my hot take. I love the current game cast and consider those to be THE BEST. Mike for Eggman FOREVER! 

But yeah, it's REALLY odd seeing a VERY stupid Sonic when in the games - Even the BAD ones- Sonic is NEVER stupid. A bit of a jerk, rushy, and maybe hotheaded... but he was NEVER stupid. Hell Sonic doesn't really talk THAT much honestly. But thats the trope right? Really fast character has to ALWAYS be talking and I hate it. Sonic X had the best cartoon sonic ever tho. Fight me. 

Also is it bad I just wanted my PSN icon below to update cause I'm turning into a Blue Reflection stan and want everyone to know it? I'll shut up now.

20 hours ago, Remynaka said:

See I think you and I are on agreement for alot of this. But one thing I'm hugely against is the voices. Mostly EVERYONE ELSE. Tails and Eggman sound TOO much like lame saturday cartoon voices I'm already sick of hearing. But here's my hot take. I love the current game cast and consider those to be THE BEST. Mike for Eggman FOREVER! 

But yeah, it's REALLY odd seeing a VERY stupid Sonic when in the games - Even the BAD ones- Sonic is NEVER stupid. A bit of a jerk, rushy, and maybe hotheaded... but he was NEVER stupid. Hell Sonic doesn't really talk THAT much honestly. But thats the trope right? Really fast character has to ALWAYS be talking and I hate it. Sonic X had the best cartoon sonic ever tho. Fight me. 

Also is it bad I just wanted my PSN icon below to update cause I'm turning into a Blue Reflection stan and want everyone to know it? I'll shut up now.

Sonic in prime is probably the most "punchable" sonic has ever felt, I absolutely refuse to believe this is the same character as the sonic in the games, it is just terrible on every single level, I absolutely despise this take on sonic so far. He feels almost like a shitty person at times. sonic in colors, boom and a lot of the other games colors on ward at least had charm. This sonic has no charm imo. Just man of action trying to ape current protagonist trends and following their own tropes

On 2/4/2023 at 9:39 PM, Scritch the Cat said:

Sticks would actually be a better choice for a female teammate.

That actually does sound good, especially now that we know Sticks is in the game canon. Would be a great opportunity to bring her in and see what she's like in the games continuity.

Having Rouge in the gang gives me Sonic Chronicles vibes though.

• 3 weeks later...

If any of you have read this, this means that all 24 episodes of the 1st season have been finished. Here's hoping that it will be possible for them to work on another season (24 more episodes for the next season).

3 hours ago, SonicBoomFan101 said:

If any of you have read this, this means that all 24 episodes of the 1st season have been finished. Here's hoping that it will be possible for them to work on another season (24 more episodes for the next season).

I do wonder that if they do a second season, what would it be about?

55 minutes ago, Rabbitearsblog said:

I do wonder that if they do a second season, what would it be about?

First, we kinda need to know how the first one concludes, you know?

• 2 weeks later...

Any predictions on the next Shatterspace theme?

I'm guessing a desert theme. The colour of the shards seem to have some correlation with the theme of the Shatterspace. Green can symbolise nature, so the green shard is associated with the Boscage Maze. Blue can symbolise water/the ocean, so the blue shard is associated with the No Place. And red can symbolise violence and evil, so it's associated with New Yoke City. With all this in mind, you could make a pretty informed guess that we're going to be going to a desert, as yellow could symbolise the sun and the heat of the desert.

But the question we're left with now is which kind of desert theme? Wild West? Arabia? Saharan Africa? Sci-Fi? Something entirely different? While is most definitely will probably be a Wild West thing, I can't help but be slightly disappointed. The Wild West schtick, in my opinion, is overused and tired. I think it would be nice if we had an Arabian, Saharan, or even Central Asian desert theme.

But then again, maybe the Wild West could work in the favour of storytelling. We've seen Shatterspaces focused of Sonic's relationship with Tails (New Yoke), Amy (Boscage Maze), and Knuckles (No Place). But what we're yet to see is one focused on Sonic's relationship with Rouge (who seems to have been, for some reason, brought into to the inner circle of Sonic's cult). Maybe she could be a bandit on the run or something like that. Banditry does fit well with Rouge's thing with thievery, and a Wild West setting can properly account for that. So who knows? 

3 hours ago, SonicBoomFan101 said:

I don't know. And I also don't know when the next episodes of Sonic Prime will come out.

Yeah. The drought is real.

• 5 weeks later...

I enjoyed watching the first season of Sonic Prime I was a bit skeptical first when I watch the first episode. Then I started to get Into It after watching a couple of more episodes. Looking forward to the next season coming soon.

On 4/26/2023 at 6:11 PM, The Famous Sonic said:

I've heard that season 2 is coming out on 14th December. 

Yeeesh - that's quite a while away, unless you mean they've greenlit an actual Season 2 now?

We still got the other two batches of 8 episode chunks from Season 1 to come IIRC - though I suppose the naming conventions of what constitutes calling something a "season" rarely matters when it comes to Netflix. 

23 hours ago, Sonicka said:

Yeeesh - that's quite a while away, unless you mean they've greenlit an actual Season 2 now?

We still got the other two batches of 8 episode chunks from Season 1 to come IIRC - though I suppose the naming conventions of what constitutes calling something a "season" rarely matters when it comes to Netflix. 

I actually mean the second batch of episodes. Production on all 24 episodes has finished yet Netflix is making us wait a year after the first batch was released. I found out about the date on Wikipedia. 

• Thumbs Up 1

24 minutes ago, The Famous Sonic said:

I actually mean the second batch of episodes. Production on all 24 episodes has finished yet Netflix is making us wait a year after the first batch was released. I found out about the date on Wikipedia. 

Gotcha, but yeah that also why I wondered. It's really odd Netflix are making us wait so long - usually between the batches or seasons of episodes the stretch isn't this long with some of their other produced shows. I wonder if they are being strategic in their promotion of the show and are trying to release these batches alongside the games/DLC content coming this year? (Although that would mean we'd be getting content near to Sonic Origins Plus)

Wikipedia is unfortunately not an accurate source of information. Netflix/Sonic socials would inform of a release date when they are ready to, aside from any insider leaks beforehand, it’s extremely unlikely that Wikipedia would know before any other announcement or insider leak buzz. 

• Thumbs Up 2

• 3 weeks later...

I really want to see the Chaotix in this show. Perfect show to give the extended cast some screen time.

• Thumbs Up 2

2 hours ago, juiceDpunk983 said:

I really want to see the Chaotix in this show. Perfect show to give the extended cast some screen time.

The Chaotix would be fun in this. I hope for Silver and Blaze in future episodes.

• Thumbs Up 2

Finally!  We got something about this show!  Glad it's not premiering in December this time.

1 hour ago, DaddlerTheDalek said:

The Chaotix would be fun in this. I hope for Silver and Blaze in future episodes.

While I'm not sure about Silver getting in, despite how much I want him to. The Chaotix, they feel even more likely. And I'd just like to see some alternates for other characters like them, instead of the same 5-characters getting more variants.

But Blaze I feel is the unique one here, due to the separate dimensionality/reality. Only reason I'm saying that, is my theory of Blaze's world/dimension having it's own version of the Paradox Prism. But that's all I've really got to say as far as that goes.

• Thumbs Up 1

• 1 month later...

i doubt any new characters are in. this show felt ok at best, but i feel didn’t have a great budget.