Awoo.

MT | Sonic Prime (Netflix, TV Series) - General Discussion

Wraith

I never saw the series so i can't say for real but even then, DARK for a kids show for 10 year olds, I am not expecting Sonic the War Criminal, just something that is more action driven

• Thumbs Up 1

Generator Rex had some pretty dark moments but it also had a good sense of humor. It's probably exactly where I'd want a Sonic cartoon to land honestly, barring maybe some of the body horror stuff. 

• Thumbs Up 6

Let's face it. This show will not tonally match what the adult audience always wants, even if it is more serious. There will be jokes that make us cringe as adults, but that just comes with the territory as kids shows go. Even the original Avatar had jokes that could make your eyes roll. 

As long as the series as a whole is something worth investing, then I think we should be able to stomach some dumb jokes meant to get a laugh from the kiddies. 

• Thumbs Up 2

1 minute ago, Wraith said:

Generator Rex had some pretty dark moments but it also had a good sense of humor. It's probably exactly where I'd want a Sonic cartoon to land honestly, barring maybe some of the body horror stuff. 

If you don't like Sonic characters to deal with interpersonal drama you're probably going to be hissing though

So anyone who came into the series before 1998 :V

• Thumbs Up 1

So the series could be lighthearted with some terrible jokes, decent action and a few serious moments, gotcha.

• Thumbs Up 1

Just now, JosepHenry said:

So the series could be lighthearted with some terrible jokes, decent action and a few serious moments, gotcha.

So basically what Sonic has always been, a series focused on kids :V

• Thumbs Up 2

Generator Rex had more...suggestive humor than most of their stuff, but I doubt Sonic goes that route. Especially not nowadays. 

• Thumbs Up 1

So kinda like the IDW comics in tone except bit more light-hearted? That part would be fine with me I think.

• Thumbs Up 1

I don't recall many suggestive jokes in Generator Rex aisde from the main character attempting to flirt with an adult woman earlier in the series, but I think that was it. Very much an action show for kids.

• Thumbs Up 1

1 hour ago, Zaysho said:

People who talk about kids shows broaching serious subject matter always oversell "DARK" so they don't have to feel embarrassed about watching a cartoon.

As a Power Rangers fan I can say it's the same there. People always talk about like Time Force having themes of racism (though it kinda...doesn't) but nobody will ever acknowledge how in that 2-parter where they get sucked into movies Eric cartoonishly slams into a wall like George of the Jungle. 

People don't want to accept that they like things aimed pretty exclusively at kids so they just focus on the serious parts only. 

4 hours ago, Piko said:

There’s a good chance it could get renewed though. I have a feeling Netflix is gonna be pushing this show a lot.

Especially since it's a Sonic the Hedgehog property.  The fact that this is showing up on Netflix at all is quite an achievement!

• Thumbs Up 1

11 hours ago, Wraith said:

Story is confirmed to focus on the multiverse. 

I had to do a double take when I noticed this title.

Sonic knows all, hears all, and sees all apparently

10 hours ago, Kuzu said:

So....this being multiverse show...this is about to be a continuity reboot isn't it. 

This is Flashpoint guys.

That's what it feels like.

9 hours ago, Redemption said:

the time of early manhood or womanhood:the prime of youth.

Adult Sonic confirmed?

9 hours ago, mitsunari8 said:

I think the press release was mentioned Big Hero 6 people working on this? For example if a storywriter from that team then it could be good. We just have to see of course. 

Edit: And dud studios can create gems. 

Egg, considering how that series is panning out, idk

8 hours ago, Kuzu said:

Wouldn't worry too much about this in all honesty; a lot Netflix's shows like Avatar and She-Ra are also in that category, and the consensus is that those shows are still pretty enjoyable by adults. 

Also, its gonna Sonic, Tails, and Eggman as the main focuses and you're gonna like it :V

Avatar was purchased from Nickelodeon over a decade after the fact, though.

7 hours ago, Wraith said:

I'm not going to write something off before I've seen ot but I am especially tired time travel/multiverse sonic premises. Its all been the doo dad is doing big bad to reality so we gotta take it back whosits so it cant whats it so we can fuck off since 2011. Arguably before that. Even when they spare us from this it dominates half the lore discussion because there are technically like 8 different sonic worlds running that they haven't even bothered to flesh out. I've seen more slightly differently textured takes on Green Hill Zone than I've see actual games from sonic this decade.

Whatever happened to "Eggman tries to fuck up an island?" Or "penis lizard destroyed a city in the past and ooh no hes gonna do it again"? Simple shit. Some shit sonic can loop around in an afternoon and be chilling under some tree before dinner. Let me get to know the locales and dig into a world's secrets again. ANY world. Doesn't matter which. Start anywhere. Take me back to Chris's house and show me whats under the floorboards. Anything. 

But im sure itll be fine sonic fans stay positive :)

That's sorta where I'm at as well.

• Thumbs Up 1

I honestly don't know how to feel about the multiverse element, but I'm sure it could work. Hell, look at the spiderverse. I'm ecstatic to hear that this is going to be a story-driven show. 

Here's an idea! Since this is supposedly going to be a multiverse show, maybe they can make a reference to the fact that an Armadillo was considered for Sega's mascot and have an Armadillo (doesn't have to be Mighty) as the main hero.

• Thumbs Up 1

The shift to Netflix makes a lot of sense to me, Netflix have funded video game shows before, and following how badly Cartoon Network really fucked over Boom, I doubt SEGA were eager to go with mainstream channels again.

Hell, most animated shows at Netflix are guaranteed three seasons, so. 

• Thumbs Up 9

In the case of Sonic, we don't have to worry about advertising as much, since Sonic fans are vocal enough as is. And no more worries about dead time slots. 

• Thumbs Up 1

3 hours ago, SonicWind said:

I doubt they'll go that hard with Sonic, but this is still pretty interesting news. Sounds like this will take itself a little seriously.

Serious Sonic? I'm down. 

• Thumbs Up 1

2 hours ago, SBR2 said:

It's in production in Wildbrain's Vancouver studio. Whether that's just Animation or if the voice cast will be Canadian as well I don't know. 

https://mobile.twitter.com/WildBrainStudio/status/1356241281001824258

I don't think there's been an example of a a show animated by them that didn't have an all Canadian voice cast. But things could change with Netflix here?

So looking around some listings of unannounced shows for Wildbrain, It's possible the whole preproduction started around summer 2020? Pointless to look further at the moment since we can just wait for more production news to slowly drop. 

• Thumbs Up 1

I just hope that the writing for this show is good.  I can understand everyone's hesitation with this series, especially since it's being helmed by Man of Action and Wild Brain, the same company that did Mega Man: Fully Charged.  Let's hope they learned from their mistakes from Mega Man: Fully Charged and try to do this series justice.

• Thumbs Up 1

Sonic Prime. It's Sonic's 30th anniversary, so now he's in his prime. 

I hope the main Sonic just looks like Sonic this time. No redesign! I also wonder if the SatAM or Sonic Boom universes will be part of the show.

I would be interesting to see SatAM Robotnik.

Theevildrrobotnik.jpg.53bc9ca3fee3c9aa2c4435a4f7195d9d.jpg

"Snively!"

• Thumbs Up 2