Awoo.

MT | Sonic Prime (Netflix, TV Series) - General Discussion

Wraith

Sonic only went HARD kids from colors onward. Aka the new writers at the time (which are now gone). Sonic though as a older fan i can admit to it had darker moment even if Sega was still somewhat bad at overall story telling. Station square, you flood an entire city in moment and tell me on your entire franchise that NO one died. Not a one.  Or how the old tribe basically stomped and imo implied to have killed chaos little chao  friends. Then we go about in adventure 2 where eggman holds amy at gun point, tries to kill sonic with a bomb laced capsule and blows up an entire prison island. Which again somehow NO one was on it i guess as sega is afraid at human deaths. This was still a series aimed at kids early teens imo. Gen Rex as the theme at least lets us know we could have some intense fights/death at least. As i recall a few characters dying in that series. No one main cast wise but some.Then again its been quite awhile since  the show was on.

• Thumbs Up 2

7 hours ago, Zaysho said:

People who talk about kids shows broaching serious subject matter always oversell "DARK" so they don't have to feel embarrassed about watching a cartoon.

Too be completely fair, world needs few more words to describe certain shows.

"Adult/mature" implies violence or nudity.

"Dark, serious" implies 90s comics and Black Doom.

So how do I say quickly that Sonic Adventure 2 had better plot than Lost World, because it had better though out setting, plotlines that goes somewhere and ending that feels like it reaches conclusion, not snaps back to status quo?

I could just describe it, but sometimes it would be nice to use 1-2 words that give broad vibe. Even that description I wrote above is a bit ambiguous.

I remember people saying "Forces isn't like Adventure games, it's not as dark as them". And while Forces story isn't great, with tone similar to Colors/Lost World, I still liked it more because it had more of the.... that "x" word that we need to add to dictionary. IDK, "stuff happen"?

• Thumbs Up 2
  • Fist Bump 2

I'm just gonna drop this here: Apparently Colleen O' Shaughnessy has said she's not voicing Tails in the show.

• My Emmerdoods 1

55 minutes ago, Ellipsis-Ultima said:

I'm just gonna drop this here: Apparently Colleen O' Shaughnessy has said she's not voicing Tails in the show.

Oh, damn :( Hopefully just ‘not the Netflix show’ and she hasn’t been dropped overall like Roger.

• Thumbs Up 1
  • Absolutely 1

I'd like to keep the same light hearted and fun humour BOOM! served up with a side of REAL adventure and a decent story arc.

Colleen NOT voicing Tails?! This is blasphemous. Looks like we could be seeing some kind of partial VO revamp with exception of Mike Pollock.(Thank God)

• Thumbs Up 2

8 hours ago, Ryannumber1gamer said:

The shift to Netflix makes a lot of sense to me, Netflix have funded video game shows before, and following how badly Cartoon Network really fucked over Boom, I doubt SEGA were eager to go with mainstream channels again.

Hell, most animated shows at Netflix are guaranteed three seasons, so. 

Really? 3 seasons? I hope so. I want a cartoon that builds through the seasons.

Anyway, the writers have also hinted (according to Tails Channel), that the series expands the universe established by the games, the SEGA Sonic Universe. 

This was one of my main worries... that due to the multiverse plot we wouldn't have time to properly use the Modern Sonic world which is already rich and desperate for some good writing and lore, but seems like it's the main focus of the show. Still, I'm gonna wait, we don't know much about this yet, I'm interested in the character arcs and themes possibly, though.

• Thumbs Up 4

So, how long you think untill we get to phase 2 on this? You know, the "design reveal" phase. That's usually my favorite part of the whole process.

• Thumbs Up 5

10 hours ago, Kuzu said:

So anyone who came into the series before 1998 :V

Hey, I like Sonic characters dealing with interpersonal drama, thank you very much, and I’ve been with Sonic since at least 1992-93. :V

• Thumbs Up 2

48 minutes ago, Jango said:

So, how long you think untill we get to phase 2 on this? You know, the "design reveal" phase. That's usually my favorite part of the whole process.

I'd guess next year, but maybe we'll get lucky, and they'll show something for the 30th anniversary festivities.

• Thumbs Up 2

7 minutes ago, Marcello said:

I'd guess next year, but maybe we'll get lucky, and they'll show something for the 30th anniversary festivities.

And ruin the party?

• Thumbs Up 3

4 minutes ago, Jango said:

And ruin the party?

Well, they can't top the 25th anniversary party anyway.

spacer.png

• Thumbs Up 3

3 hours ago, Ellipsis-Ultima said:

Welp

• Thumbs Up 1
  • My Emmerdoods 1

3 hours ago, Ellipsis-Ultima said:

Strange, movie and games use her, but not cartoon?.... is there a chance there won't be Tails in this show? Only Sonic and Eggman jumping from world to world?

...This is why I hate pre-trailer period. Nothing to do but speculate based on basically nothing.

• Thumbs Up 3

11 hours ago, SBR2 said:

It's in production in Wildbrain's Vancouver studio. Whether that's just Animation or if the voice cast will be Canadian as well I don't know. 

https://mobile.twitter.com/WildBrainStudio/status/1356241281001824258

The press release says that Wildbrain, SoA and Man of Action are all involved in production so it's hard to tell whether the voice cast will be American or Canadian, although some Canadian VAs here and there should be expected.

11 hours ago, Rabbitearsblog said:

Especially since it's a Sonic the Hedgehog property.  The fact that this is showing up on Netflix at all is quite an achievement!

The Netflix reboots of She-Ra and Voltron were insanely popular (I'm pretty sure the latter had 8 seasons!) and they are nowhere near as big of a brand as Sonic is. I'm confident that Prime will be successful enough to warrant a few seasons.

Edited by Piko
  • Thumbs Up 1
  • Fist Bump 1

4 hours ago, Ellipsis-Ultima said:

I think this means we aren't getting the movie synergy like people thought if the one VA who was in the games and the movie couldn't reprise.

• Thumbs Up 2

3 hours ago, Jack-ted said:

Really? 3 seasons? I hope so. I want a cartoon that builds through the seasons.

Anyway, the writers have also hinted (according to Tails Channel), that the series expands the universe established by the games, the SEGA Sonic Universe. 

This was one of my main worries... that due to the multiverse plot we wouldn't have time to properly use the Modern Sonic world which is already rich and desperate for some good writing and lore, but seems like it's the main focus of the show. Still, I'm gonna wait, we don't know much about this yet, I'm interested in the character arcs and themes possibly, though.

Typically speaking, yes. The only ones that don’t follow that trend is the ones that just really bomb hard. Stuff like Hoops.

Other than that, most shows get at least 2-3 seasons with Netflix, although the downside to that is they rarely get renewed for any seasons following that unless they’re big hits like Bojack Horseman, or Carman Sandigo. There’s some rare exceptions that make it til 4 seasons, although even then, great shows like F is for Family is currently up in the air if they’ll get renewed for Season 5.

• Thumbs Up 2

Honestly it just seems like have been targeting that age rating since colours and its tiring to see long time fans get shafted most of the time, granted they said this would appeal to legacy fans but something in the back of my mind says it's really not going to be the case.

I'm willing to look past that if they have good character development and they take the time to explain things that happen which is something that the games over the last 10 years fail to do.

• Thumbs Up 3

57 minutes ago, Johnster4 said:

Honestly it just seems like have been targeting that age rating since colours and its tiring to see long time fans get shafted most of the time, granted they said this would appeal to legacy fans but something in the back of my mind says it's really not going to be the case.

I'm willing to look past that if they have good character development and they take the time to explain things that happen which is something that the games over the last 10 years fail to do.

The games were being written by different writers during that time.  So, I'm assuming that Sonic Prime will have different writers this time around.  Now, whether or not these new writers are going to be good or not, that remains to be seen until the show actually comes out.

• Thumbs Up 3

1 hour ago, Johnster4 said:

I get that it seems frustrating but like @Kuzu mentioned, these demographics are basically like preset ranges set by companies and network. 6-11 sounds like it is just for kids on the surface, but really it just means they are making a show that is kid appropriate and appeals to kids at the base level, but it could also be deep enough for adults to enjoy. ATLA is a popular example of 6-11 demographic. It is rated TV-Y7 (content meant to be suitable for around 7 years of age) yet it clearly has themes that can go over a kid's head. 

If anything it just tells us the show isn't meant to be for teenagers and older exclusively. 

• Thumbs Up 4
  • Absolutely 2

7 hours ago, Ellipsis-Ultima said:

Hm. I'm just going to assume most or everyone's being replaced for now. 

• Thumbs Up 2

26 minutes ago, Graystripe2000 said:

More info about the show thanks to one of the writers. 

https://aawesomepenguin.tumblr.com/tagged/Sonic-Prime

So the newest writer Duncan has written for Batman comics in the past.  It makes me wonder if this show will be darker in tone than the previous Sonic shows.

• Thumbs Up 3

1 minute ago, Rabbitearsblog said:

So the newest writer Duncan has written for Batman comics in the past.  It makes me wonder if this show will be darker in tone than the previous Sonic shows.

It's gonna be one of Shadow's best moments then.

• Thumbs Up 1

Oh yeah, forgot about Canada rules. Something about keeping the productions entirely Canadian, so they have to bring a Vancouver voice cast. Shit. 

• Thumbs Up 2